Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What exactly is going to be revolutionary again?

Kitchen Utensil

Non-fantasy plots are perfectly viable, maybe not from a marketing perspective but who cares. I mean most of twitcher 3 could work just fine without monsters (which is p. :thinking: in a game about a monster hunter).

The real question is the gameplay.

The gameplay looks like utter shit. Even worse than Witcher 3 level of shit.

PorkyThePaladin

Do you honestly think that combat looks good?

Yeah, I love it. Not saying it's perfect, but it's the best melee combat I've ever seen in a video game. Of course playing it will be a different thing, I can't tell how it feels just from watching it, but that's all I have to go on right now.

It has a nice, slow, ponderous, heavy feel to it, just like real life stuff. It's not as fast as real life HEMA, but that's because that would make it unplayable in a video game. Otherwise, very realistic looking, with parries, guard adjustments, feints, and so on.

The best way I can describe it is by comparing Operation Flashpoint combat to the FPSs of that time. The FPSs looked very flashy and fast, but very shallow. OFP looked kinda awkward in a way, but that's because RL combat is awkward. Movement has momentum, you can't move fast sideways or backwards, aiming takes time.

Same here, the combat looks much more realistic than the typical game twirling.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Apparently prestigious Codexers want the combat to look more awesome. :M
Yes? It's combat for fuck's sake. Poking enemies and making blood spurts jet out of armored areas until they die is not my idea of exciting combat, it barely looks like anyone is getting hurt until they ragdoll. Like the mordhau alpha combat video already looks a million times more fun than this.

Same here, the combat looks much more realistic than the typical game twirling.
Yeah sure looks realistic as fuck lmao. Realism is machete fights on liveleak, not this slap boxing simulator.

I don't know too much about Mordhau's combat system, since I am generally not interested in multiplayer death match type games. I read a little bit about it, and overall, KCD's combat seems to be much more deliberate, methodical, and tactical. Combatants take their time, as in RL, adjust stances, switch positions, and all of this lets you anticipate your opponent and respond. Mordhau's combat, on the other hand, just from watching it in the videos, seems a lot more chaotic and RNG. People just fly at each other and do various attacks, and considering all the options there (chambering, parrying, feinting), it feels like it will involve a lot of guessing.

Aothan

Magister
Mordhau's gameplay is a much delayed Chivalry 2, as comparisons will go Mordhau's system will probably be at least as complex as any other game in this genre at this time. Granted if you are not familiar with Chivalry's gameplay and how the playerbase developed over the years the nuances in Mordhau's preliminary footage won't be as readily evident. However I have serious reservations over how chambering will be balanced, if the developers are at least moderately in touch with the community and the type of 'fanaticism' the game had, they should probably know there will be plenty of players who learn to chamber consistently

one of Mordhau's early challenges as a new game is the amount of long-term players coming from Chivalry into a newer game that inheres the same combat mechanics format, just as it was difficult for new to players to transition into the above 15 ranks servers, many are going to find themselves facing players who not only spent years but a lot of time and effort learning all the methods, and more problematically, the gimmicks which defined multiplayer

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Some youtube faggot visited Warhorse for a shitty interview with their community manager and art historian. More cringe than the eurogamer/obsidian video but with lower production value, and equally uninformative. Timestamped to post-tour:

Last edited by a moderator:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Middle guy in the above video : "Sometimes I dream about getting an axe to the middle of the head."
Barber: "Say no more, sir."

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And another thing... I wonder if luring bad guys into crowds of good guys will work for most of the game. I mean I like sorta fucking around with game systems but it looked pretty dumb when the bad guy followed him all that way and ran right into his enemies...
People have been wanting another Gothic 1 for years, so...

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Combat is fine, they are not AAA level studio that can afford state of the art MoCaps, to make kickass animations. They would need dozens if not hundred of high quality mocap animations with attacks and counter for them. Like one attack and few ways to counter it. Just imagine, 5-6 attack types per weapon, 6-8 angles of attack, and few counter attacks per angle. Thats easily over hundred animations.Add in kicks, punches, combos and you get maybe even 200 anims.

Quillon

Arcane
Combat is fine, they are not AAA level studio that can afford state of the art MoCaps, to make kickass animations. They would need dozens if not hundred of high quality mocap animations with attacks and counter for them. Like one attack and few ways to counter it. Just imagine, 5-6 attack types per weapon, 6-8 angles of attack, and few counter attacks per angle. Thats easily over hundred animations.Add in kicks, punches, combos and you get maybe even 200 anims.

They have a mocap room in their studio. I don't think the problem(if there is one) is mocapping the animations but engine/memory limitations and control input supporting all those animations; you can't just make any move you want, its not brain controlled, has to be playable :P

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They would need dozens if not hundred of high quality mocap animations with attacks and counter for them.

Vavra talked about that last week on a podcast, apparently the game has several thousand individual animations (probably overall, not just combat but still). Also 4 hours of cutscenes and 50 hours of dubbing. He said they were forced to compromise, couldn't afford to do everything mo-capped. Btw there is no game of this size with mo-capped facials, even Bioware, Sony, Bethesda etc. use algorithm-based facial animations.

Then again the main problem in my book isn't the quality of animation itself but rather some head models, with stone hard faces, unmoving eyebrows and dead eyes. And that cannot be blamed to a modest budget.

What's wrong with the name? I think it's descriptive and proper. It's historical and a martial art in the true sense (as opposed to the way the term is used today), and it's european, since fencing was very different in other places, due to different resources, armor, techniques, and so on.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
What's wrong with the name? I think it's descriptive and proper.

I think it's a contrived, uninspired and overly technical attempt to describe it by avoiding the F word because "fencing" has become a dirty word in those circles. It's like calling ice cream European Chilled Dairy Desserts or summat.

It's historical

Yes. Mostly, at least.

and a martial art

Nah. It's a (young) sport with a increasingly structured rules, scoring systems and tournaments. I've been seeing how it has evolved since the nineties and the "martial art" faction has clearly lost the culture war, simply because there never was enough to their approach to keep people interested and to keep people fair. There's nothing wrong with it being a sport and, in fact, a lot of evidence points to the fact that it was much more of a sport historically than modern practitioners would like to admit, but "sport" is another one of those dirty words for most people in that world.

and it's european, since fencing was very different in other places, due to different resources, armor, techniques, and so on.

Fencing has clearly European connotations in and of itself and it is the term that was used historically. Swordsmanship styles from other cultures usually have names of their own and are only called "fencing" for the purpose of description.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom