Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Are they? I haven't seen all flavor events for them but the general plot line didn't strike me as atheistic.
Hahaha i meant in real live.Most satanists i have seen are atheistic idiots.

do you know a lot of satanists?
Not every "mage" is satanist,there are pagans and all kind of shit.All this occult stuff is not certain.I have seen magic and i have been on the receiving end,and i know not to go down that rabbit hole.I am not one of those crackpots that watch some idiotic ghost hunters show and take it as a gospel,or believe in aliens creating the pyramids.But i do know that supernatural exists,and chose not to put too much thought in it,something like that looking in to the abyss shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Dunno. All of this reminds me too much of Sunset Invasion. Offscreen empire that invades and influences, but cannot be conquered at the source.

Dunno, the description sounds moar liek slant-eyed Pope to me.

I only wish the Pope had that much mechanics behind him. But nope, Pope is not important enough, gotta put in something about China.
Who would have thought that Pentarchy,the Pone and knights orders will have any semblance of importance in a game called Crusader kings?!?!When i hear the word Crusade i always think about the far east!I am baffled how those swedes are that stupid and incompetent.By the way does anyone knows if their games are bought or are they just plagiarized?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Theology DLC with expanded Popery, playable Knightly Orders and theocracies please. An before they say it's about dynasties - for the orders they could steal some Patrician mechanics.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Theology DLC with expanded Popery, playable Knightly Orders and theocracies please. An before they say it's about dynasties - for the orders they could steal some Patrician mechanics.

Knightly orders at the very least I could see working. I'd do it by having the grandmaster getting to choose a favored successor giving them the same "dynasty". If they put effort in they could even make this less clunky, but minimal effort you could do it this way. This would also work for most other theocracies or even inland/noble republics (Cordoba and Novgorod are important enough that it's absurd they've been ignored). The nature of the Papacy makes me think you'd need to do something different there though, maybe something closer to the patrician mechanics to give you something to do between papal control? Many of the roman patrician families traded control of the papacy so that might fit, but you'd have to redo the college of cardinals so those families always have some sort of a presence.

Although honestly, things would work a lot better if they completely overhauled the religion system. This would have to be for something like CK3, but playing something like the pope probably wouldn't be real fun until you can change and enforce the rules of your religion and deal with fallout from that (investiture crisis, anti-popes, schisms, heresies like Old Catholic spawning in reaction to your policies.) Currently religions are very static, and while they shouldn't be easy to change a little more active intra-religious conflict would go a long way to keeping things interesting.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Playable Papacy isn't even on my wishlist, but I'd like to see becoming a bishop not resulting in a game over. Many important seats were in the hands of dynasties for decades if not centuries. So if you are the archbishop of Cologne, you'd have to groom a heir from your dynasty as your successor, maybe do some diplomacy with the Cathedral Chapter and so on. And if you loose the seat, you'd just switch to another member of your dynasty. Knightly orders could work similarly, or more akin to something like you wrote.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.pcgamesn.com/crusader-kings-ii/crusader-kings-2-final-expansion

Crusader Kings 2 director: "We're starting to look at when to end"

Paradox are looking at bringing Crusader Kings II to a close. In an interview with game director Henrik Fåhraeus, he told us that the team are looking to draw the game to an eventual close.

Fåhraeus says that while the upcoming Jade Dragon expansion won’t be the last, “we're probably going to look at ending it.” Referencing the fact that “the game is doing better than ever,” he says that “we're looking at doing more stuff but I think it's fair to say we're getting there."

The reason why the game is being drawn to a close actually stems from 2014, and the release of the Rajas of India expansion. Fåhraeus says “we did add India and that slowed down the game quite a bit. There was part of a free patch and people weren't too happy, now we've got the game back up to speed again with optimisations.”

Crusader Kings II currently has 13 official expansions, with a fourteenth on the way and apparently more to come. The game’s DLC bundle on Steam contains 28 items, and the Crusader Kings II Collection jumps that number to 63, which obviously puts some strain on the game.

According to Fåhraeus, Paradox are already compromising on how much they can put in the game, and have scaled down the impact that the Jade Dragon expansion will have. He says that “to add one more chunk of the map would slow down the game significantly so we decided on a compromise - let's add China without really adding China. We did that in the form of an off-map power.”

Even when the game’s final expansion has been released though, it won’t be the end for Crusader Kings II. Fåhraeus says he wants to provide a modding scene to keep the game going: “If I can make the game more moddable, that's great. That's the way we design stuff these days. The whole system should be free and moddable."

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fellows with a good amount of hundreds of hours, please advise on which DLCs would you recommend turning ON (I have caught them all) for a classical, rather RP-based game, where I try to take the holy lands back from infidels? I only have a couple of hundred hours at most, and most of the DLCs I haven't even tried.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
pLiWSZx.jpg

Fellows with a good amount of hundreds of hours, please advise on which DLCs would you recommend turning ON (I have caught them all) for a classical, rather RP-based game, where I try to take the holy lands back from infidels? I only have a couple of hundred hours at most, and most of the DLCs I haven't even tried.

Sword of Islam - Because Muslim stuff
Legacy of Rome - Because retinues and Byzanboo stuff
Sunset Invasion - lolno
The Republic - Do you want to RP the 4th Crusade? Then it might be worthwhile.
The Old Gods - Not really
Rajas of India - Nope
Sons of Abraham - For the authentic Jewish experience and religion features
Charlemagne - Nope
Way of Life - Can be okay for authentic DEUS VULTing
Horse Lords - Maybe, steppe tribes did have a lot of influence in the region
Conclave - Most people hate it
Reaper's Due - Not really
Monks and Mystics - Only if you turn off Satanism

If you already have all of them, only disabling Sunset Invasion is a must. Disabling the rest won't make the game better or run any faster - e.g. India will still be there with all its characters, you just won't have access to playing them.
If you want better gameplay and/or performance, you'll need mods. Either specific (like removing India - don't know if it's still compatible) or overhauls - of which Historical Immersion Project as the most stable and comprehensive one.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If you already have all of them, only disabling Sunset Invasion is a must. Disabling the rest won't make the game better or run any faster - e.g. India will still be there with all its characters, you just won't have access to playing them.
If you want better gameplay and/or performance, you'll need mods. Either specific (like removing India - don't know if it's still compatible) or overhauls - of which Historical Immersion Project as the most stable and comprehensive one.

That's my setup - everything but Sunset Invasion. I actually like the mechanics of conclave. If you wan the chronicle (not great) you have to use Charlemagne. Turning off Satanism, like Fedora says, is worth considering.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Only one that i really hate is the conclave one,it is total shit that tries to make the game mechanics similar to the EU4.Another one that is shitty is the sunset invasion.Also if you pc is slow turn off rajas of india.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thank you for the advice. Regarding Historical Immersion Project, it doesn't try to be historical to the point where it makes the game practically unplayable I hope. I've had such experience with mods aimed at making a game too different than envisaged.

Only potential problem I can think of is that HIP has an option for native title names, so turn that off if you find Magyarorszag to be less understandable than Kingdom of Hungary. There's a few obviously artificial changes (like a flat timer cooldown so Holy Wars can't be spammed), but otherwise HIP isn't really distinguishable from an improved vanilla in terms of how the game plays.

HIP is ok, the greatest change it brings is its (optional) map, with no India, but a ton of new counties elsewhere. Personally I don't play with Conclave either, but that's because of the way they gutted education in it (especially it being impossible to pick an education for anyone outside of your court). Other than that I turn of Astec invasion in rules (because it's stupid) and reduce diseases a bit (because AI has no clue how to deal with this shit and the hospital buildings are ludicrously expensive). And of course, I completely turn off satanism (ugh), supernatural shit and secret religious cults because they insane.

There's not much left of the last DLC then, but it still manages to piss me off. Like, I get a perfect genius+attractive bride for my son eugenics experiment, get her to convert from whatever filthy heresy she believed in to my true faith (whatever that is), give him some land and a year later find out he burned her to death because she only secretly converted and his court chaplain event fired. Even though secret conversion has no effect whatsoever since cults are off, and even though they were in love (because the event, of course, never checks opinion), and even though she was pregnant with his heir, and even though HE WAS A FUCKING JAIN! Call me crazy, but somehow I doubt Jain really were in a habit of burning people at the stake for religious differences. Really show you how much thought went into this DLC.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Nowadays I think you can even turn off Sunset Invasion in the options menu for the game, even if you have the DLC enabled. I'm not sure if there actually exists a mod that requires Sunset Invasion tho, which would be the only reason to turn it on.

There's not much left of the last DLC then, but it still manages to piss me off. Like, I get a perfect genius+attractive bride for my son eugenics experiment, get her to convert from whatever filthy heresy she believed in to my true faith (whatever that is), give him some land and a year later find out he burned her to death because she only secretly converted and his court chaplain event fired. Even though secret conversion has no effect whatsoever since cults are off, and even though they were in love (because the event, of course, never checks opinion), and even though she was pregnant with his heir, and even though HE WAS A FUCKING JAIN! Call me crazy, but somehow I doubt Jain really were in a habit of burning people at the stake for religious differences. Really show you how much thought went into this DLC.
There is another lesson to be had from this tale of bizarre happenings: Never ever give your important kids land, especially if now even their eugenics program pairs beloved wives are in danger if they are given land.

Thank you for the advice. Regarding Historical Immersion Project, it doesn't try to be historical to the point where it makes the game practically unplayable I hope. I've had such experience with mods aimed at making a game too different than envisaged.
HIP is probably better described at its core as adding features for cultures and religions both for the purposes of gameplay and flavour, but truth is that it's become a sort of giant collection of various mods from graphics (like the excellent coat of arms by ARKO). Historical immersion in the mod's name can probably best explained to refer to the changes made to expand and rework the map and counties in it along with larger number of cultures (along with culture-based dynamic titulars) and titles along with historical rulers for the start date where possible, along with the aforementioned flavor and gameplay variations added to cultures and religions (as I've mentioned often enough, among pagans for example in the base game Norse get disproportionate level of attention and detail, mods like VIET and SWMH that are now part of HIP took on improving that situation for example).

EDIT: Tho best mod for CK2 is still Geheimnisnacht, even if Gnacht tends to have performance problems and performance-related crashes and mystery crashes because of understandable reasons.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really really really damn hope the last expansion will let me play as those damned priests and more importantly as the fucking pope finally because i've been waiting for it since the day i got ck2

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Ok, because I'm autist and like to watch Paradox devs Let's plays every Monday (belive they're called Medieval Mondays) this Monday few things cought my attention. Also I like to spam devs with questions (I'm one of the few who actually does that, most people are in for the highly autistic lulz and shitposting, eh Twitch) but this Monday I didn't get the opportunity so I only watched recorded version from their youtube channel. Here we go (they played on the lattest hot code at the time):

First they did implement Tutor (Court teacher) title after all. It's supposed to be default for all kids from your court for which guardians weren't selected. Not bad. Plausible.
bqU14Ur.jpg
Now I could be wrong so feel free to correct me but Looking for smith decision wasn't available before. The whole concept is downright implented retardedly with you being unable to call upon smith as King or Emperor when you want but instead only when he appears (when you're broke for the most part). Should be minor title in my opinion. Oh well, if new this should work similarly like search for physician, less moronic than before in other words.
EDWF3zE.jpg
Yes, it seems we will be able to bully China. Bad China! Also we can renegotiate trade deal with China. Trump and I both approve!
tHeZ29v.jpg

uI9P1Zn.jpg

hm0lgZU.jpg

RfwpSsN.jpg

There are those 8 new CBs too, you probably have already heared about majority of them (including free hostages - finally, now only after 5 years and 14 major dlcs we can hope that as part of 15th dlc perhaps we'll be able to haggle ransom price of prisoners in our dungeon or in other words count from Venice who has over 1000 g. shouldn't be set free for only 25 g. and if only we could pay for ransom of our vassals, dynasty members etc. and getting favor or bonus opinion from them, it would be much obliged) but there is this one which if true might be very interesting, pretty realistic and useful:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/crusader-kings-ii/crusader-kings-2-jade-dragon-guide-casus-belli

New ways to wage war

A more exciting casus belli is the new liberate religion motive. If your faction shares a major religion with a minority group in another country you can go to war to install someone of that minority faction into power. You won’t then control that territory but you will have a friend in that corner of the world.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Play with everything on except Aztecs, Shitonstreetstan and Chinese; They want make games about filthy heaven who had no interaction with Jewrope before XVI century they are welcome to make one. Also consider turning satanism off since its OP as frack and there is no Holy Oficium to keep those in checks; same as with Satan Child from supernatural events when you can't even make exorcisms. On the other hands those Swesnka satan worshipers did not implemented any religious miracles, they are no badass Saints fighting Vikings and pagans, no option to become monk or give your lands to monasteries for tech and culture bonus etc... To be honest the mods like Warhammer one are much more closer to authentic medieval times than vanilla game is.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Gotta say, the more I read about this, the more hyped I get. After Burgundy and Saxony, my favorite place to play is Central Asia. With the addition of Tibet and the reworking of the Tarim Basin and the Middle East, I can finally recreate the Kushan Empire. China being in the game without being on the map could be cool, but I especially see potential in the emperor system as a way to improve dialogue with religious heads. Huge modding potential with this.

I've never seen anything come out of India. It's always been a place that never gets into the middle east (because there's always some muslim blob of decent size), but nothing ever gets into india (because holy order spam everywhere). Breaking into it as a player Zoroastrian requires careful checking pre-war to make sure the enemy can't hire holy orders

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Once or twice I've seen Hindus conquer parts of Persia, but very little comes out of India because it's bottlenecked tightly at Afghanistan. You need a very strong Punjab to break out, and Persia usually has very strong Abbasids or Seljuks or Mongols. Hopefully Tibet will help because it connects India to other parts of the world instead of just putting it in its own little corner. The reworking of the Middle East and Persia should also help by decentralizing powers. Persia used to be humongous and now it's significantly less so, making its peripheries easier to conquer.

I also frequently see the lower Arabian peninsula fluctuate between Ethiopia and Muslims. The introduction of the Kingdom of Yemen should help whoever has it to hold on longer.

Overall, I've gotta say this Middle East reworking is 10/10.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom