Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nightmare Creatures - new game, apparently

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder how many even remember the original.

It begins... again!

After almost 20 years, Nightmare Creatures returns! Crowley and the Cult of Hecate are back, raising a new breed of mutant horrors as the powers of their ancient gods spin wildly out of control.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I rather wait for Fear Effect Remaster announced recently (because both playing it on console and emulation sux balls and I'm not talking about these pussycats).

Ash

Arcane
Nightmare Creatures. One of many forgotten (by the majority) golden oldies. Wasn't one of the best/a true classic, but even just plain old good games back then blows most modern garbage out of the water. I've always wanted a sequel that was not shit. Chances of that happening are very slim, of course. Incoming objective markers, regen health, passively regenerating time slowing ultra cool focus mode complete with monster slayer vision that lets you see through walls, batman/assassins creed style overly automated combat, linear unengaging level design, the heavy metal and deep industrial atmospheric music? That'll be gone, replaced with dubstep and orchestra or extreme minimalism. Gore? Probably not. But by all means get excited for it, because hyping tards either via good marketing or general circumstance leading up to release is mostly all that matters when it comes to the notable success of a game, and if the stars align and it actually turns out to be good I wouldn't want it overlooked.

GelGel

Educated
Oh fuck, as a kid I never had courage to finish this game (it was second part though).

Well, gonna play it now 100%.

Ash

Arcane
Remember playing this game on a PS1 back in the day. It was pretty shitty and not really memorable at all. Weird that they'd bring it back.

:what:

Not memorable, what a tool. Likely didn't even beat the first level, kid. Even the soundtrack alone is enough to like it, unless you're a massive tasteless pussy cuck:

Metal:

Dark Ambient:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not memorable, what a tool. Likely didn't even beat the first level, kid. Even the soundtrack alone is enough to like it, unless you're a massive tasteless pussy cuck:

Not memorable and this is the first time I've seen the game being mentioned on the internet. I had completely forgotten it even existed prior to this thread. I'm glad you enjoyed the game and got something totally unexpected to look forward to, but you shouldn't get too butthurt and emotional when most people don't give a shit about your favorite game, especially when it was something as sub par as Nightmare Creatures. And for what it's worth, I was the only kid who did get past the first level among my friends.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember playing the demo and sorta liking it. No idea why I didn't pirate the full game back then.

Ash

Arcane
Not memorable and this is the first time I've seen the game being mentioned on the internet. I had completely forgotten it even existed prior to this thread. I'm glad you enjoyed the game and got something totally unexpected to look forward to, but you shouldn't get too butthurt and emotional when most people don't give a shit about your favorite game, especially when it was something as sub par as Nightmare Creatures. And for what it's worth, I was the only kid who did get past the first level among my friends.

I thought it were obvious I were playfully mocking you schoolyard style.

Anyhow, you're wrong about the game. As already mentioned it's certainly not the best of its breed but again, compare to modern action games and there is no contest, because the majority of modern action games do not feature something that qualifies as gameplay at all.

As for its popularity or lack thereof (as if it is notably relevant), I've spoken to people over the years with fondness for it and it does have somewhat cult status, yet there's no media related to a game released in 20 years, no mod tools and such, so naturally its long-term popularity will take a hit. There's hundreds of old school games that were "just" good, not truly special, and mostly forgotten today, though I consider that more indicative of the lack of respect for gaming history than anything else. And dumb kids with little critical value playing the first level, declaring it shit and moving on to the latest fad.

Overall I'd say the game was a 7.5/10. So pretty damn good by modern standards. And just good back in the day.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I thought it were obvious I were playfully mocking you schoolyard style.

Anyhow, you're wrong about the game. As already mentioned it's certainly not the best of its breed but again, compare to modern action games and there is no contest, because the majority of modern action games do not feature something that qualifies as gameplay at all.

As for its popularity or lack thereof (as if it is notably relevant), I've spoken to people over the years with fondness for it and it does have somewhat cult status, yet there's no media related to a game released in 20 years, no mod tools and such, so naturally its long-term popularity will take a hit. There's hundreds of old school games that were "just" good, not truly special, and mostly forgotten today, though I consider that more indicative of the lack of respect for gaming history than anything else. And dumb kids with little critical value playing the first level, declaring it shit and moving on to the latest fad.

Overall I'd say the game was a 7.5/10. So pretty damn good by modern standards. And just good back in the day.
I'll have to give the game a look and see if it's as aesthetic as you say. All I remember is that a friend of mine got it and everyone hated it because it was too hard for them. I tried the game, beat a few bosses on my first try and got bored. I think maybe the chick played better than the dude and that's why no one could get anywhere.

Anyway, beware teasers like this. I remember how we got teased during Heretic/Hexen's anniversary a while back and that lead us nowhere :negative:

Original may had clunky gameplay but its's still good overall. But why they see commercial potential is beyond me.

BTW inb4 Redneck Rampage reboot.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The different playstyles with monk / girl were really nice choice from what I remember. Either slow/tough attacks or faster/lower dmg. There were additional movement combinations to make more of the combat system. The monster design was really memorable, creepy and you didn't want to have a close encounters with them. The end boss Adam Crowley was really cool.

nightmare_08.jpg

Ash

You should try the sequel, which was a PSX exclusive. It has a good dark ambient soundtrack, although there is only one character instead of two. We are playing Herbert Wallace, which was a "patient" of Adam Crowley. The guy is all in bandages, and you notice quickly that experiments weren't healthy for his mental health. He reminds me a little of Caleb, anti-hero who simply butchers and kills everything on his way. The Eiffel Tower last level is really great. Although I must say the game feels more blocky, probably due to the console limitations. Still, it's worth at least a single playthrough if you enjoyed the predecessor.

Ash

Arcane
I did try the sequel. I didn't like what I experienced, but I also didn't give it a fair shot (got to the third level or so). Reviews were less favourable than the original too across the board. Maybe it's still worth a shot though, IDK. It's an old game, so chances are good.

JDR13

Arcane
The original game was pretty good by PS1 standards. I'll be keeping an eye on this, assuming it's legit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom