Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Possible Horror RPG With Renovated Grimoire Engine

Would The Grimoire Engine Be A Good Fit For A Retro Horror RPG?

• Incredible Incline Beyond Imagination

Votes: 100 46.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Will Wait For Humble Bundle

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I'm Still Waiting For The Grimoire Manual

Votes: 31 14.4%
  • I Am A Sex Slaver of Vietnamese Orphans

Votes: 22 10.2%
  • Will Never Be Released

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Hurr Durr I will Pirate It

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Good idea Cleve but what will you do about your mortal constraints? These shackles of age are getting in your way, and I'm worried they may try to prevent you from finishing your next three games.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll just throw this out there: Cleve, add some members to a team, come up with a project plan, divvy up labor, and set a deadline on tasks. Get it done not in a sprawling manner, but in a compact, tight approach. Just think you'd be better off writing the dialog and creating the themes and having the vision, rather than trying to do everything yourself. Have some Indians do the programming and just review their code everyday.

On the other hand, eh, if you are in it for you and just something you want to do, then shine on you crazy diamond. I believe.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
You are a great story teller Cleve, and you have shown quite able to populate a game with amazing experience - before the mid-game, Grimoire is flawlessly spectacular. I did have to save-scum in order to work things out due to lack of manual, though.

If you feel it fits your style, or would like to explore horror-style writing and setting, I'd love to play a (shorter than Grimoire) game based off of a Miskatonic hub the way you describe it in the OP. It would also be very interesting to see where you can take the combat system in a Lovecraft setting.

As likely do many other Grimoire players, I would very much like you to finalize any remaining work on Grimoire first, nice as it is to hear you thinking future. I like your outline of V2 features and hope you can find a V2 outline you can finish and everyone be happy with before a next friday :) .

Thanks and working on Grimoire daily. Basically this idea emerged from the fact it was obvious additional work was going to be done on the Grimoire engine to produce the shining goodness of V2 so we start tossing around ideas about how to get some more mileage out of the engine if we were doing this additional work on the basic framework.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Basically this idea emerged from the fact it was obvious additional work was going to be done on the Grimoire engine to produce the shining goodness of V2 so we start tossing around ideas about how to get some more mileage out of the engine if we were doing this additional work on the basic framework

Yes, and I would post biweekly updates to prove that you are working on it daily to the skeptical if I were you.

Neurosplicer

Barely Literate
Welp, see you in another 20 years.

Seriously, while I didn't really like Grimoire this sounds like something I would actually play. But as other people said Cleve still has to work a lot on Grimoire and I can't imagine how he is gonna work on 2 games simultaneously. On the other hand he should have the finances now to pay people to help him on his new game.

Boddler

Educated
Even looking back to december, in my wildest dreams, I had no idea Grimore would be so great. I thought to myself "today was a fairy tale," on the day of launch. And when I made it out of the woods, and into the town of Crawl, I felt a serene sense of peace. I don't wanna live forever, but I wouldn't mind living in the sweeter than fiction land of hyperborea.

And now, with your proposal of a brand new game, everything has changed. You should totally begin again and make those sparks fly.

Seems like you could swiftly tailor a new game, with a similar style, out of the whole cloth of Sham's engine.

So please, get back on that white horse, and fulfill our wildest dreams.

By the way, I admire how you are so fearless in the face of all the mean criticizers. They act as if some bad blood exists between you and the public, and yet you just shake it off.

(I rarely post, but look what you made me do!)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Truly few games know the difference between terror and horror... since I did my thesis on that it goes something like this; terror is perceived as a direct physical threat so if you see someone with a bloody knife you fear for your physical safety while horror is more in the mind where you might see some clues and slowly the idea of the threat takes hold of you and when you finally face it it makes it more powerful.
Some good examples of dreed and horror in games would be of course the Alone in the Dark games, the aformention Realm of Terror and System Shock 2 and they do that horror technique well.
Another way to do it would be by making gameplay elements play up to that, for example no heal zones or areas where your health slowly drains while you need to pass though
Having well liked NPCs die and then come back as antogonists is another great way to twist the knife
Or something like the bodysnatchers where people start acting funny and you have to see who you can trust when they start asking for the same unholy tablet and you question their real intentions for it
Blakemorian writing for a lovecraftean game sounds like a match made in hevan

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Having well liked NPCs die and then come back as antogonists is another great way to twist the knife

What about having this happen to any dead party members; you need to defeat them to revive them?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

What about having this happen to any dead party members; you need to defeat them to revive them?
That could work too... in the superb Ravenloft module 16 for D&D there was this great trap where some of your party members get teleported to a sealed crypt while their items and clothing were placed on wights which the remaining players had to battle not knowing if those were their dead companions they were fighting...that was fucking awesome as a DM
The idea of using NPCs is that a well liked quest giver who is kidnapped by your enemies and the brought back under their control makes it a bit more personal than your own personalityless PC players

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The scariest thing I ever saw was "To Serve Man". It gave a sense of how well and truly fucked the characters were. In 60 years it was only touched briefly in the ending of 12 Monkeys.

Today's horror is like CarrotTop pulling all sorts of shit out of his bag to see what works. It's like Baxander's final moments before the flood takes him. You want to feel the fear he must have felt as the water claimed his lungs for its own but then you remember what a mental defective he was and your thoughts turn to his gas bloated corpse farting it's way up the flooded Houston byways and can't help but laugh at the 240 pound prop gag whoopie cushion.

Horror hasn't evolved, it has regressed much like games and other forms of media to jump scares and scintillation. It has hit rock bottom.

Only a Master Neanderthal like Cleve can bring the feelings of old back where you feel it in your bones and soul when a wrong choice is made and have to face the consequences. The true creeping terror just outside your sensory range. You can't grasp it but you know it is just There and it harbors I'll for you. The muddling of senses where your own body and then your mind begins to betray you. All these concepts I feel Cleve can make work. No cheap parlor tricks here, only hand (love)crafted horror.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't wait for the last minute Burger King trips after he uploads to Steam and forgets to to press the launch button.
1393863714108789_animate.gif

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
DashiDMV, can you elaborate on your claims. Don't be a coward.

Claims about what? The TV episode you call a movie, crying about English or you being a fag in general. Which one?

The only thing there is to know is that if Cleve says he's going to make a horror game then it will be awesome. Might want to use Google translate if the last line gave you trouble.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The only thing there is to know is that if Cleve says he's going to make a horror game then it will be awesome. Might want to use Google translate if the last line gave you trouble.

I'm not denying that. Actually read my posts.

HeroicBloodshed

Learned
Could be decent. A horror rpg probably wouldn't work so well with huge parties, cutting down party size would be smart and allow the viewport not to be tiny as in grimoire.
Also atmosphere is everything in such a game. Contracting a single artist with a consistent art style would be better than the mix'n'match mess of grimoire.

Beastro

Arcane
I'd say the scariest episode I've had in a computer role-playing game, the one that evoked the most sense of horror, was aboard the derelict spacecraft in Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. The one with the brain parasites that take over party members.

It was unsettling for me, but what got me was this: https://youtu.be/_xBKzYyvHFA?t=3m44s

After going on the with the tense music feeling I was underleveled and just waiting to be stomped I freaked and turned my Genesis off almost instinctively seeing that picture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom