Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Puukko

Arcane
Hah, god damn it. Found a 4 turn strategy for Chapter 4 but it relies on lvl 2 Lancaars to deal an exact amount of damage, and mine are lvl 3. Oh well.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Combat animation is pretty bad for JRPG standard, what the fuck they are thinking for switching this franchise into another shitty Final Fantasy clone.

Atleast the combat animation will be tolerable for turn-based, it looks very shitty for Action JRPG.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They should have learned from Nintendo's Metroid fiasco that you shouldn't greenlight spin offs that depart from the fundamental design principles of the series unless core fans are sated. Otherwise you're heading into the market against a lot of antagonism.

Deleted member 7219

I finished the game and now I've moved onto the Selvaria DLC. Took around 45 hours in total, and those hours included retries and skirmishes.

I really like the game's presentation and art style (but only when playing it in 4K, with the no canvas/no borders/no streaks and high-res character mods). It played really well on mouse and keyboard, with some awkwardness in menus and driving the tanks. The turn-based nature of the combat was really well done, and should be used as a model for other games like this. Imagine a 3D Commandos that used a system like this.

My main criticisms would be the cutsey-ness of the characters and storytelling. Conversations often lead nowhere, there's a lot of bullshit about vegetables and pig creatures, and most of the latter part of the game involves characters stood around moralising at each other.

Main story was pretty good though, would have been better if they didn't use real worldy terms like 'Gallia' (e.g. Gaul/France) and 'Europa', and if the map didn't look like a near match for western Europe. The Valkyria/Darcsen stuff was so different from our history that I don't know why they just didn't make the whole thing a unique world instead of some weird hybrid of WW2 like it is now.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's bizarre how they took names of fairly obscure Dutch and Belgian cities for their country and city names.

Overall the animu is better.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Why post Valkyrie Profile news here?

Anyways, 2nd game was already total shit anyway.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yes and no. The story was Garbage, but i kind of liked it in this strange fucked op surreal way.
Lets go to school and have school time anime adventures, but with a back drop of a massive war.....

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hope after all?

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/2...-big-changes-make-less-action-y-strategy-rpg/

Yes and no. The story was Garbage, but i kind of liked it in this strange fucked op surreal way.
Lets go to school and have school time anime adventures, but with a back drop of a massive war.....

2 also had the best character development system, mostly because it was the simplest. Kill enough things as a class to spec into the upgraded version of that class. Always an underrated system.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
2 also had the best character development system, mostly because it was the simplest. Kill enough things as a class to spec into the upgraded version of that class. Always an underrated system.
It truly is amazing how often the oft-used quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is right on the mark.

ColCol

Arcane
Just beat the first one. A solid strategy game that I appreciate because it offers game-play that manages to be different from the norm and yet still enjoyable. The only problem with the game is that the end-game levels dive into typical overpowered jrpg boss territory. The last bosses also tend to have abilities that break established rules.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It's been out for two weeks, reviews are mixed at best.

Whole lot of nothing.
hgGsLEG.jpg

BreadGrill

Novice
Does anyone know how to get in contact with the people that made the VC3 english patch? I would like to improve the text overflows, typos etc and translate the DLC and other untranslated content. I need their help with decrypting some of the DLC files (XOR encryption?) and I NEED their tools (if they made any) for editing the .mtp files because SEGA decided to increment the bytes of the text by 1 so hex editing these files manually is way too cumbersome.

BreadGrill

Novice
Yeah, they don't respond there but I just found an email I missed before so I might try that.

Shinji

Savant
Series died after the first one.
Just like Dead Rising

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom