Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
These origin stories are cliche as fuck, the writing and voice are also quite bad.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The guy should've used a falsetto voice for the undead, like I mentioned previously. He has a higher voice so it wouldn't have been a problem for him. Just something to stand out.

Mojobeard

Augur
Imagine if the voice acting quality was Infinity Engine level. Veteran Disney actors everywhere. Never ever gonna happen again unless it's a PS5 launch title though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That requires good direction, it's not only on the voice actors' side. Even the best voice actor in world will have trouble with a shitty character or insufficient direction. The best work in the video game sphere I've encountered is Sara Kestelman as Kreia, obviously. I haven't read up on what direction they gave her, but the character is strong enough, with real convictions and a valid worldview, that she would've done marvelously even without extended direction. What voice acting do you expect from "grizzled mercenary out for revenge" or "slave out for revenge", or "rebel out fighting the Evul Empire"?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see the problem with the voice actors. They sound like they're from the same prim and proper British voice acting school that provides the voice acting in Daedalic adventure games (which is good)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What are these 'origin' characters? Do I miss out on anything if I will make a custom character?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
What are these 'origin' characters? Do I miss out on anything if I will make a custom character?

They have certain quests related to them and some npc's react different to your origin and they will affect the ending in some ways.It seems that they really want you to play as an origin rather than a custom char.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have to say I am not very impressed by the companion motivations. I mean surely there are other things in life that can drive you than revenge and revenge?

Especially if we are talking about fantasy setting where very much anything should be possible. Why settle for the most mundane option there is?

Mojobeard

Augur
Well I mean the voice acting is serviceable, from what we've heard so far at least. But isn't it every time that you open one of these videos, that the voice just doesn't match with what you had in mind? In a bad way, where you go "Oh this kind of voice then. Uh. Okay".

The quality is just high enough where it's not a matter of "this would be better as just text". But that's about it.

And I understand the budget limitations and such, but I still like to unfairly compare all voicework to Baldur's Gates.

JasonNH

Augur

You can then pick them up as companions instead. So it's matter of whether you prefer to explore their origins in the first person or third.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Even though it's pretty stock I kindda like the pompousness + corruption angle of The Red Prince, but ye the rest are abysmal

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why settle for the most mundane option there is?
It's Larian, masters of the mundane.
I don't see the problem with the voice actors. They sound like they're from the same prim and proper British voice acting school that provides the voice acting in Daedalic adventure games (which is good)

http://pitstopproductions.co.uk/what-we-do/game-audio/
Same production company that did OS1:EE. I'm not impressed with what we've heard so far but expectations were low to begin with.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
4 months is not much for a game of this size. TW3 voice recordings lasted for over a year.
2 according to the company that did the english VA: http://side.com/projects/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/
Side said:
The team at Side cast and directed actors to play over 950 characters, recording a script of 450,000+ words over a two year period.
Side has 3 studios alone, and CDPR also hired a dozen other companies for localizations. Twitch3r budget of 80m dwarfs even the most generous estimates of OS2's budget though, so we're comparing apples and oranges.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Witcher three is voiced in how many languages though? Eight? D:OS2 is nowhere near that.

Lacrymas

Arcane

They NEED YOU to become their next Divinity? What? Did they just spoil the plot? The main plot is you becoming the next divine? Why?

EDIT: Also, I KNEW IT! I was thinking today that Fane's storyline will probably be trying to impersonate Lucius with the mask and get more power. Now I'm 99% certain that's what's going to happen, but I wasn't expecting for the main plot to be like that.

EDIT2: The trailer is super spoilery, I suggest not watching it if you don't want anything like that.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
I really can't stand the whole "silly and zany!" angle they've got going. It's pretty much what keeps me from being superhyped about this game and what kinda stopped me from enjoying the first one.

Humor is great but... ugh.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
What a shitty trailer... ugh. I'm starting to get less hyped now..

I hope they didn't just spoil the entire fucking plot. Nice Job Larian, spoiling the game, u fucking momos

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom