Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I'm kinda disappointed. DECLINE still works in 1.2.0.26.

:)

Zep--

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's strange that you could continue to Ukluk without summoning the demon. And yes, you need Junga's goblet for that. Don't remember exactly, but were you able to go to the Eyrie? Maybe that's the part that is blocked off for you.

And yes, I meant that the ladder down to the Museum of Magic is in the "inner sanctum" of the Bronze Cauldron and that door is initially closed.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What was the demon I was supposed to summon?

It's the Black Lich that you can see on the Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimoire:_Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar

He has a staff you need later.

About the Eyrie

Yeah, you need to get to the Eyrie to get beyond the superdemo area.

As to the Inner Sanctum, you definitely need the goblet and there was a bug in the game for a while that people you met disappeared and you could not meet them again. You'll also get the choice to either resurrect Mistral into your party or bring him to his resting place.

The whole superdemo area is covered here:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Locations

Ravenheart87

Novice
Hello everyone!

I have killed Gorgon'ra and looted her nest. Now I have the Methuselah Egg, which is not a critical item, but it did need some effort to get it, its description implies it's valuable, so it screams to be hatched or used in some way. Can someone tell me what can I do with it?

mbv123

Arbiter
Hello everyone!

I have killed Gorgon'ra and looted her nest. Now I have the Methuselah Egg, which is not a critical item, but it did need some effort to get it, its description implies it's valuable, so it screams to be hatched or used in some way. Can someone tell me what can I do with it?
Have you tried looking it up in the manual?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Hello everyone!

I don't have anything about the Methuselah Egg written in my notes, so it seems there's nothing particularly important to do with it (unless it was something I missed). :M

grimace

Arcane
Hello everyone!

I don't have anything about the Methuselah Egg written in my notes, so it seems there's nothing particularly important to do with it (unless it was something I missed). :M

Methuselah is the man reported to have lived the longest at the age of 969 in the Hebrew Bible. Methuselah was the son of Enoch, the father of Lamech, and the grandfather of Noah.

Wait 969 years for it to hatch.

mondblut

Arcane
Hello everyone!

It is supposed to produce a recruitable NPC, much like entropy sword/axe etc. Don't remember if works or not. Try clicking use first, item second as with other items which fail to be used by picking them up and clicking on use?

Ravenheart87

Novice
It is supposed to produce a recruitable NPC, much like entropy sword/axe etc. Don't remember if works or not. Try clicking use first, item second as with other items which fail to be used by picking them up and clicking on use?

Okay, I'm an idiot. I tried all kind of things but simply using the egg. It does produce a recruitable naga warrior called Parasmus. It also seems that nagas are born with a sabre cutlass. Thanks!

Dumbfuck
Hello everyone. Wonder how many people here are also refugees from the cancer of the Grimoire steam forum.

Is this manual actually a thing that exists on Cleve's HDD or is he blowing smoke up our collective arses again?

So much about this game is indecipherable... What the hell do the pink highlighted skills mean on level up? I thought it just meant "this skill is important to this character" but it seems to be totally random, i.e. I leveled a thief and the highlighted skill was useless to her.

mondblut

Arcane
What the hell do the pink highlighted skills mean on level up? I thought it just meant "this skill is important to this character" but it seems to be totally random, i.e. I leveled a thief and the highlighted skill was useless to her.

Pink is the skill upon which the specific class' spellcasting depends. I.e. a templar uses "litany" to power up his spells while a ranger uses "alchemy". All classes are capable of spellcasting after reaching particular level. If you go full retardo changing classes (and you really should), it's important to know which of these skills is at work at any given moment, hence pink highlighting.

grimace

Arcane
1000px-Hyp2.jpg

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Attributes

Believe in the manual!

Dumbfuck
Pink is the skill upon which the specific class' spellcasting depends. I.e. a templar uses "litany" to power up his spells while a ranger uses "alchemy". All classes are capable of spellcasting after reaching particular level. If you go full retardo changing classes (and you really should), it's important to know which of these skills is at work at any given moment, hence pink highlighting.

Ah, OK, that makes sense.

Believe in the manual!

Fucking hell, I don't know if that binder says "1995" on it because that's the year he copyrighted the game, or if that's the year the photo was taken. At this point I'm afraid to ask.

In a weird way I literally do believe in Cleve, despite everything (and holy fuck there is a lot of everything) I am enjoying the hell out of the game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Could someone explain (with pictures if possible) to me how lock picking on chests works.
I click stuff, something turns red or thing opens and then cursor turns into "item?", usually trap gets sprung.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
To pick locks on doors and chests you need both the Inspection skill and the Lockpicking skill on the same character.

For locks, you need to cut the wires on both sides that have the same numbers next to them.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Ok, as i wrote in the main thread - I bought this jewel a few days ago and by now I gathered my courage to start it. Played a bit with premade party in default starting location to familiarize myself a bit with the interface (could be better but is workable) and the overall feel of the game. Feels like a Wizardry 7 clone 20 years too late - which is great since i liked Wizardry 7 a lot.
I have a few questions though about starting a new game. I want to avoid situation where i'd have to restart becasue i made some crucial error at the beginning.

1. Starting location:
- Is there any i should pick, or one that i should avoid for some important reason.
- If there is one approved by the hivemind starting loaction - which one ?

2. Party.
- Can i go without a Thief ? In wizardry 7 it was a major pain in the ass at the very beginning but after that - the better choice because thief was a really crap class. How is it in Grimoire ?
- Same but Cleric. Similar, very helpful early on but not an optimal choice later. Can I start without one without major problems ?
- Class switching. I read that directly after release it was mostly useless because a bug prevented your chars from using skills that the 2nd class would bring. Is it still the case or moving to say a pirate from a simpler class now makes sense ?
- Party consisting of:
Saurian Berserker - Dwarf Berserker - Wolfin Ranger - Dracon Metalsmith - Durendil Bard - Aerob Sage - Vampyr Necro - Feyfolk Wizar
Not needing any deep analysis, just, are all needs my party might have covered by this setup ?
- I read trhat NPCs were awfully overpowered after release - is it still the case, do they still feel like cheating or not ?

3. Options
- Any options "obligatory" to switch on or off ?
- 2nd difficulty (veteran ?) seems to mean "normal" so i'll go with that, or should is the game too easy/hard with it ? Can it be freely changed later ?

Any other good advice ?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1. Starting location:
- Is there any i should pick, or one that i should avoid for some important reason.
- If there is one approved by the hivemind starting loaction - which one ?

Compare for yourself (spoilers):

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Beginners_Guide#Comparison_of_the_5_Starting_Areas

In terms of difficulty, from hardest to easiest: Eerie Wastes > Prison > the other three.

- Class switching. I read that directly after release it was mostly useless because a bug prevented your chars from using skills that the 2nd class would bring. Is it still the case or moving to say a pirate from a simpler class now makes sense ?

Now you can get all the prestige classes from the beginning I think. The best combinations of race/class, at least before the latest changes:

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Classes

- Any options "obligatory" to switch on or off ?

I'd switch off the smooth movement because it still creates that image artifact when turning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom