Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

KateMicucci

Arcane
Items, I think if items in game would not have any levels and level scale to your level + maces stun/spears long/swords crit + runes + random bonuses + elemental infusions it would make game better. You could add some quality to it like stone is worse than steel weapons etc.
Yes, having "levels" on weapons is weird. Though not any weirder than having levels on tables and stools.

There's way too many unspoiled spoilers being thrown around in this thread. Pretty obnoxious tbh. I'm out until I finish the game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, Alexandar fight, my experience. This is the most-faggot battle I've seen in the game so far. What's the stupidest of all things -- you barely have a chance if you cheese and are level 7, which level you can only reach by completing nearly every side quest. This is complete shit, it means there is hardly any content in the whole Act 1 which can be considered optional. Simply moronic. Whoever designed this combat apparently had no idea what party is supposed to fight it. It's amazing how this combat passed QA.

First, the party:
Tt3w0oc.png

The skills/spells equipped:

Battering Ram
Battle Stomp
Crippling Blow
Enrage
Whirlwind
Bless
Summon Cat Familiar
Demonic Stare
Dragon's Blaze
All In
Armour of Frost
Hail Strike
Restoration
Winter Blast
Blinding Radiance
Electric Discharge
Teleportation
Bless
Maddening Song
Encourage
Elemental Arrowheads
First Aid
Pin Down
Ricochet
Sky Shot
Tactical Retreat
Fossil Strike
Bless
Encourage
Soul Wolf
Restoration
Chameleon Cloak
Purge
Mosquito Swarm
Infect
Searing Daggers
Fireball
Fortify
Bless
Worm Tremor
Fossil Strike
Poison Dart
Impalement
Play Dead
Time Warp
Electric Discharge
Uncanny Evasion

Tactics:
fNvj4fq.png

Following others' advise, I stood on this side of the battlefield, and baited the enemies to come through the collapsed fortress wall, blocking the doorway leading from the wall to the small square. I was able to kill the Magister Knight before the Void Worm showed up. I started the combat by showing up with Lohse on the wall. I tried to teleport the Marksman but got spotted before I could point to a destination.

pXKn516.jpg

On the square I had made sure to give the worm enough room to appear (the red circle with an X on the map). I was also able to set the whole fortress wall on fire by a combination of earth spells and breaking the oil barrel. By the time the Void Worm emerged, everyone but the Silent Monk and the Metamorph were either on the fortress wall or in the small square where my party was.

The Silent Monk does not climb ladders. It tried to take the long way around, shown by the single yellow arrow. The other five enemies, including Alexandar climbed the ladder and came through the wall. Once the Worm showed up, I teleported away, ran away with all the party from the square into the adjacent square area, marked with purple.

zbCRZUm.jpg

Once there, I think the trick was to stay away from the Worm's field of vision, in order to make sure he will only attack Alexandar's party. With that done, it was a matter of clicking End Turn until the fire surface (which eventually became Cursed Fire, and then Blessed Fire, after I blessed it in order to harm the Worm) and Alexander wore down the Worm.

The real combat was between the Worm (my biggest ally really) and Alexandar's party who got completely killed off. The worm had lost both its armors which left it at around 600-something HP which I had no trouble reducing to zero with my party of four. The Worm had killed Alexandar (with some help from me), the Magister Assasin, the Magister Marksman (who spent much of the combat running up and down the wall, over cursed/blessed fire), and the Silent Monk (which was nearly dead by the time it reached the combat area 1). The Magister Knight was the only one I killed myself.

After combat with the Worm was over, it was a simple matter to hunt down and kill the Magister Metamorph which really never moves from her place on top of the east fortess wall.

Fairfax

Arcane
The thing is, Fell wasn't a peddler of items, he tattooed people
While functionally tattoos were pretty much items, his choosing to offer you this or that tattoo based on what sort of a man he perceived you as had way more sense to it than merchant Joe's sudden acquisition of some legendary items worth more than his hometown and neighbouring villages
Normal item merchants can be done just as well:
$
$
$

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I see two unresolved problems:

a) it still doesn't feel "earned" (e.g. the difference between catching a fish or hunting a deer and buying a fish or venison)
b) Verisimilitude-people raging about why these chumps have expensive magic items in the first place, unless it's specifically a high-end locale with the highest security

Josh (nor most develoeprs) ever concern themselves with the latter though. :M
MCA does. :M

mxC1NtB.png

Where did you get those graphics ? This is not how I remember Torment ! Some high res mod ?

MWaser

Arbiter
The itemisation is actually another thing that I remember being much less shitty in the first game than here. Back then you could still find really good (random) things that would serve you well.

Yeah fuck this (for now), back to Wizardry 8. At this point I'm actually fully seriously and non-ironically expecting ELEX to be a better game than dos2 :negative:
I'm not expecting anything from Piranha Bytes post 2004

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This game is becoming very boring. Even on tactician its slow and boring now, once u get gud gear and lvl up.

Just breezing through shit and clicking on stuff because.. why not. no body cares anymo

Also, you're supposed to use SOURCEE vampirism on the shriekers, but the range is fucking INCREDIBULY short.. fuck the devs with a rusty razor up the ass

Shadenuat

Arcane
This game is becoming very boring. Even on tactician its slow and boring now, once u get gud gear and lvl up.

Just breezing through shit and clicking on stuff because.. why not. no body cares anymo

Also, you're supposed to use SOURCEE vampirism on the shriekers, but the range is fucking INCREDIBULY short.. fuck the devs with a rusty razor up the ass
Sneak from behind them first.

Fairfax

Arcane
I see two unresolved problems:

a) it still doesn't feel "earned" (e.g. the difference between catching a fish or hunting a deer and buying a fish or venison)
b) Verisimilitude-people raging about why these chumps have expensive magic items in the first place, unless it's specifically a high-end locale with the highest security

Josh (nor most develoeprs) ever concern themselves with the latter though. :M
MCA does. :M

mxC1NtB.png

Where did you get those graphics ? This is not how I remember Torment ! Some high res mod ?
Got it from google, but I assume it was taken with Bigg's widescreen mod.

Normal merchants can be done just as well:
As "normal" as things get in Sigil. It's an extraordinary place.
As you said, most developers don't concern themselves with these issues, but it's not because the settings are restrictive. Planescape offers more freedom, sure, but it's not like Divinity is some particularly grounded low fantasy setting (neither is PoE for that matter).

Sjukob

Arcane
ecause you need damage to apply them. By itself CC is easy. As in your example, you don't even need a specific build or clever elemental combinations to play CC well - just 1-2 points in Warfare or Metamorph.
It might not be hard to burn through 1k of armor in one turn , much more challenging to outright finish an opponent who additionaly has 2k of health hidden under that armor , CC still remains useful . Besides there are ways for mages to CC enemies with stripped physical armor , the opposite is true for physical classes thanks to spells like earthquake , medusa's head , throw dust , chloroform and may be others that I don't know about .

Sjukob

Arcane
Ok, Alexandar fight, my experience. This is the most-faggot battle I've seen in the game so far. What's the stupidest of all things -- you barely have a chance if you cheese and are level 7, which level you can only reach by completing nearly every side quest. This is complete shit, it means there is hardly any content in the whole Act 1 which can be considered optional. Simply moronic. Whoever designed this combat apparently had no idea what party is supposed to fight it. It's amazing how this combat passed QA.
Are you playin on tactician ? I chose clasic and 3/4 party members where just standing below in cursed fire , blood and other crap , taking hits , burning and decaying alive , one of the died on the last turn though , had no problem with that fight at all . But may be that's because I chicken'd the worm 2 times in a row , which again proves my point about usefulness of CC in the post above .

Murk

Arcane
I'm amused by this emerging narrative of the pre-EE D:OS as a lost artifact of fortuitously good design, a perfect moment in time marred forever.

No fucking kidding. Some twats have a major hate boner for this game, I'm not sure why. There's shit to pick apart without a doubt (mostly system/mechanics issues) but some of the complaints just reek of tryhard edginess.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm amused by this emerging narrative of the pre-EE D:OS as a lost artifact of fortuitously good design, a perfect moment in time marred forever.

No fucking kidding. Some twats have a major hate boner for this game, I'm not sure why. There's shit to pick apart without a doubt (mostly system/mechanics issues) but some of the complaints just reek of tryhard edginess.
It's becoming too popular to be accepted by the elite RPG playas...

Urbanolo

Augur
Game is excellent. Fuck the haters. It's clear that a lot of people complaining about unfair difficulty are just shit at the game, but can't cope with it, because they are 'hardkoor RPG Codex oldtimers'.

Grimnir

Novice
It's a codex tradition to nitpick the shit out of everything like lovable autistic trolls. Still, it's disappointing that larian seemed to fuck up initiative for the sake of MMO-style "balance." The rest of the screeching is about stuff that was already in the 1st game.

Speaking of trolls
I managed to kill a troll named Grog. :lol: He was surprisingly easy. Is the loot he drops completely random? I might redo the fight to get a retardo OP level 18 weapon for my level 11 13 character.

Edit: Nope, same shit.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
the key to understanding this game

also "no quest markers" no sirree

You are trying too hard to hate on the game. Chicken ends up punching through the map with her beak, not drawing on it. Besides 'quest markers' are available only for a handful of quests and they are not interactive, they work exactly the same way as in fallout, arcanum, bg and so on (when you discovered location through the dialogue). It's just a marked spot on the map, which makes sense, considering the setting.
so your map gets damaged?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom