Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Fallout 3 screen - mommy, my head is cripplied!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_ ... ic_id=2827

Albert is a level 5 dude. He has 280 hit points and 85 action points. You don't want to fuck with him.

It's entirely possible that these are special demo-only stats. Well, I certainly hope so. The question that begs to be asked though is why would they need 85 action points to show the game in action?

Edit: While I'm at it:

http://fidgit.com/archives/2008/05/2008 ... o.php#more

Tom Chick said:
As anyone who played one of the earliest Elder Scrolls games can tell you, Bethesda has been doing open worlds before they were even possible. Now the developer is marrying the beautiful expanse of Oblivion with the refreshingly unique setting of Fallout. Detractors – and there are entire websites teeming with them – dismiss Fallout 3 as Oblivion with guns. But the joke's on them. Who in his right mind wouldn't think that Oblivion with guns would be frickin' awesome?

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Is there such a thing as inflation for game statistics? If not, this is pretty close.

And I'm still bothered by the use of AP:s in an real-time game. What do they determine? The ammunt of time you have to execute a certain action? How many Todd Howards you can stuff in your panties?

Tom Chick said:
As anyone who played one of the earliest Elder Scrolls games can tell you, Bethesda has been doing open worlds before they were even possible.
So Beth does have a time-travelling machine after all!

sah

Liturgist
85 APs may translate to Fallout's 8,5 APs. 70 from the dex stat and 15 from a perk/drug.

But it's probably just a demo thing.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Who in his right mind wouldn't think that Oblivion with guns would be frickin' awesome?
Thank God I'm far from "normal".

Detractors – and there are entire websites teeming with them – dismiss Fallout 3 as Oblivion with guns. But the joke's on them. Who in his right mind wouldn't think that Oblivion with guns would be frickin' awesome?

Ugh...why can't people generally be allowed to have some criticism of popular mainstream stuff in video games? I mean...this guy's almost echoing the mentality of the "new" SA that thinks anyone who detracts is a contrarian just trying to look cool.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Tom Chick said:
As anyone who played one of the earliest Elder Scrolls games can tell you, Bethesda has been doing open worlds before they were even possible. Now the developer is marrying the beautiful expanse of Oblivion with the refreshingly unique setting of Fallout. Detractors – and there are entire websites teeming with them – dismiss Fallout 3 as Oblivion with guns. But the joke's on them. Who in his right mind wouldn't think that Oblivion with guns would be frickin' awesome?

Queue Baby Jesus facepalm!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"But the joke's on them. Who in his right mind wouldn't think that Oblivion with guns would be frickin' awesome?"

Oh, ok. Here I was thinking that previewers needed to say more about a game than "frickin awesome". Joke's on me.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
It's like Brother None once said. We're the most important commentators on F3 because we get so much attention.

Deleted member 7219

That's gone in my sig. As Bart Simpson would say, 'The ironing is delicious'.

Fez

Erudite
Does anyone else think it's weird that so often in the professional write-ups for the development of Fallout 3 they make a point of dismissing the critics of it? I've never noticed such a thing before with other games. Why do these journalists go out of their way to undermine any critics of the game?

BearBomber

Scholar
Fez said:
Does anyone else think it's weird that so often in the professional write-ups for the development of Fallout 3 they make a point of dismissing the critics of it? I've never noticed such a thing before with other games. Why do these journalists go out of their way to undermine any critics of the game?

Some random critics aren't worth mentioning in the article, prestigue RPG Codex Magazine is.

Truth

Scholar
Fez said:

I don't think they are so much dismissing critics but rather perceive themselves as defending against the waves of bitter, backwards, rabid fanboys who don't want change.

Is there something about Fallout fans different from fans of other games? Are the journalists aware of FO:POS or how Oblivion measured up when held up next to past Elder Scroll games?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Isn't it amazing how game journaliism is now?

Basically if you don't think this game is gonna be awesome then your nuts. So we aren't allowed to have our own opinions now? Is Bethesda and other big game companies and magazines going to tell us how to feel now?

Funny, I thought we were still allowed to make up our own minds. I guess I missed something somewhere.

obediah

Erudite
Oh teh Ironings!

Of all the ways Bethesda has fucked Fallout 3 by "modernizing" it, a nice high res character sheet would have been nice. Instead they fill 70% of the screen with filler and add two levels of tabs to make sure can never see more than half of what you want to know at once.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
These guys made Daggerfall. Fucking Daggerfall. Damn man. Let the motherfucking badtimes roll.

Raapys

Arcane
Nah, not these guys. Daggerfall was Julian Lefay's project who's long gone, and besides Todd, who was unimportant back then, the rest of the original team is pretty much gone too.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Raapys said:
Nah, not these guys. Daggerfall was Julian Lefay's project who's long gone, and besides Todd, who was unimportant back then, the rest of the original team is pretty much gone too.

I know, they're the fucking Stones after Jagger and Richards have died. But still - y'know?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Big numbers will obviously be F3's downfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom