Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your personal top ten

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why no AOW3?
It won't run on my PC, too resource-intensive. I tried running it and liked the wizard generation part, but the framerate in the game was unbearable. I'll play it some time later on in my life; there is no shortage of good games (and there is a shortage of time I can allocate to games). I don't want to upgrade because it will lead to even more gaming.
You are not missing much really, with AOW3 at least. My favorite of the series is still either AOW1 or Shadow Magic. AOW3 is better in a lot of ways and could be the best overall if I wasn't so burned out with the series, but it does have some things I really miss. In AOW1 I could build heroes in any way, and I liked to build an uber tank, uber healer, and uber damage hero, and those 3 guys with some other high end units could win the game in one dream team group. Apparently most people thought this was cheesy, but for me it was the most fun way of playing. I had to explore and gank everything one by one, and teleport my dream team back to cities to defend them if stuff came up behind me.

AOW2 nerfed the heroes so I had to play it straight with multiple armies vs multiple armies. It was fun and strategic but the end game could be a big chore because many cities with 5 stacks of units meant I had to attack with several full stacks of my own and hope they won and I had to do this many times to win which was a total chore and pain. But Shadow Magic made that much better because I could just spend several turns nuking the shit out of the town and them move in my armies to kill the weakened units.

AOW3 is kind of a mixture of both. You can't have a dream team that kills everything because the heroes are nerfed but also there are fewer uber spells like water skin that made you basically invincible to physical damage, so you have to use many stacks of units. And you can't nuke hell out of towns but you can do some nuke damage and some weakening and stuff. So it gets the job done. It has some nice new features too so overall is more or less as good as the others, but if I knew before had, I wouldn't have kickstarted it. I would have just stuck with AOW1 or SM. But I don't mind them getting my money.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just realized I hardly like any game. From the nostalgia point of view I could choose couple, but I wouldn't play them. Currently i'm into Magic and Mayhem nad from time to time I dabble in Pillars od Eternity (with dlcs) and Divinity Orgiginal Sin 2, but I don't even know if I like them so I would recommend them to anyone?
Is there anything you've played that you kind of liked? Maybe I could help you find something that you will really enjoy.

Farewell into the night

I just realized I hardly like any game. From the nostalgia point of view I could choose couple, but I wouldn't play them. Currently i'm into Magic and Mayhem nad from time to time I dabble in Pillars od Eternity (with dlcs) and Divinity Orgiginal Sin 2, but I don't even know if I like them so I would recommend them to anyone?
Is there anything you've played that you kind of liked? Maybe I could help you find something that you will really enjoy.

I think I'm fine, I played dozens of games and enjoyed my time playing them, but I think the most fun I had in 1995-2004 era when I was kid. I check new titles too, but I'm aware that I'm just old and it got pretty repetitive. I quite enjoyed Quake Champions beta - but does it compare wirh old Quake III Arena? - Hell no! There are some gems like Owlboy or Witcher 3, even older like The Dark Mod - but I didn't finished them, so I can't really judge and recommend. Nowdays I play like couple of titles at the same time and I barely finish them.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Can't think of anything modern that is as fast and fun as Quake was. There is Doom 2016 which got good reviews but I never tried it because I played those games to death 25 years ago, don't want to play it again. I think Unreal Tournament 2004 was the most fun FPS I've had since those days, but I didn't like UT3 as much, and the new one is still being made.

Witcher 3 is hard to beat, I guess the Dark Souls series seems similar. I never played those but they are very popular. Also Dragons Dogma is similar and is popular, check that one out.

My current start menu is: Arma3, EverQuest (I've played this on and off since release in 1999, there is nothing else like it), Underrail, Vampire Bloodlines, Battle Brothers, Hellheron, Heroes of Newerth, Steel Division: Normandy 44, and then a big bunch of RTS on Steam, Supreme Commander, C&C etc. I play them mostly for the single player missions.

Farewell into the night

Can't think of anything modern that is as fast and fun as Quake was. There is Doom 2016 which got good reviews but I never tried it because I played those games to death 25 years ago, don't want to play it again. I think Unreal Tournament 2004 was the most fun FPS I've had since those days, but I didn't like UT3 as much, and the new one is still being made.

Witcher 3 is hard to beat, I guess the Dark Souls series seems similar. I never played those but they are very popular. Also Dragons Dogma is similar and is popular, check that one out.

My current start menu is: Arma3, EverQuest (I've played this on and off since release in 1999, there is nothing else like it), Underrail, Vampire Bloodlines, Battle Brothers, Hellheron, Heroes of Newerth, Steel Division: Normandy 44, and then a big bunch of RTS on Steam, Supreme Commander, C&C etc. I play them mostly for the single player missions.

Thanks. I'll pass on the new Doom, because I don't want to have nightmares, hehe - too much gore to my current taste. Strafe was advertised as an oldschool FPS, but didn't tried it. There is also Devil Daggers but it's rather frustrating and you can bore with it pretty quickly and also I'm waiting for GibHard to be released. UT2004 is one of the best - I still play it (well, last time a couple of months ago, but still in 2017, after all those years - great game). I also didn't like UT3 that much.

Dark Souls games are great. Didn't played all of them, but good shot. I think Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain is sommewhat similar to the Witcher 3. I heard NiOh is also like W3 and DS.

Didn't know about Dragons Dogma. Thank you! Looks interesting, I will check it out.

huskarls

Scholar
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadow of Amn - the best mix of story, graphics, and gameplay ever produced. Rarely is there a quest that doesn't have at least one thought provoking encounter or entertaining line of dialogue. Benefited from coming in at the peak of 2D engines with a massive budget instead of the dark ages of early 3D.

Fallout: New Vegas - What fallout 2 should had been; fallout 2 without the stupid pop culture references, terrible cities, and RNG combat; fuck fallout 2. Fantastic world building - characters will lie to you, factions will inspire conflict in you, and you can actually see where every one gets their food and water from. Graphics fags need not apply

Dragon Age origins - the only true spiritual successor to BG. The elaborate background beginnings have never been repeated and were all seamlessly worked into the overall story. The pinnacle of storyfaggotry, but unfortunately only the story received six years of production. Still the mediocre combat is unfairly typecasted as bad

VTMB - A unique setting and the only game where quests have more options of attack than fallout, you will find options within options with multiple ways to sneak or persuade with in the persuade or sneak options, or even blending the two. However VTMB is more than a shitty version of deus ex and capitalizes on its setting with several opening quests that I don't want to spoil. The game is horribly front loaded but the largest wailing comes from those with garbage builds

Alpha Protocol - Another one of a kind setting, its hard to be the best epic fantasy but easy to be the best spy rpg. Real c&c seen outside an ending slide show and a three pronged design philosophy that really does require three playthroughs - although the game still has combat/technology/stealth builds you will be focused on the three Bs, Bourne, Bond, and Bauer. You can also work with every one from Islamic terrorists to your own enemies! Any one who tells you they didn't see anything interesting done is a grognard fundamentalist who probably thinks BG and Arcanum is popamole for having RTWP

X-Com: UFO Defense - I hate metagaming, and X-Com is one of the few games where you can lose and continue rather than just reload (or lose). The best in squad based strategy that JA2 can't hold a candle too, aside from simply being more complex the game is also like a drama and lets you have brief moments of stomping the enemy before they return to stomping you in the following month. The sequel was unfair but the 2012 release was so true everything I just said applies to it as well

King of Dragon Pass - beautiful hand drawn scenes and the most c&c ever provided. The setting beckons back to simpler fantasy where half naked men fought sub-humans with spears over full naked women, it is a completely different world to those used to psuedo-medieval fantasy. The gameplay becomes trivial fairly quickly but there are still ways to increase mastery and beat new challenges. The wisdom your clan ring provides is taken from real sources, from woden to ancient china.

Betrayal at Krondor - Before I used to think games like Darklands just aged like shit, then I realized early games can have good gameplay and darklands just had garbage gameplay from the beginning. Magic is more about control rather than landing big numbers and the lost art of puzzles is utilized. Great story, boring setting.

Mass Effect 1 - I don't really see how people shit on Mass Effect's graphics and reusing assets yet the inferior space fantasy that is KOTOR 1&2 dominates top 50 polls. A better version of star treck where you can genocide entire races instead of saving them and have sex with blue women instead of kissing black women. The itemization/build play keeps you hungry for new skill points and mods

Dragon's Dogma - I usually think twitch games are stupid but this one had some interesting design decisions such as trying to imitate the terror of pre-electricity darkness and walking everywhere when the journey can be more dangerous than the actual quest. Very oriental with its "true game+" endings and virtual women japs are so fond of. Eye candy but with a console frame rate

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Baldur's Gate 1 + TotSC
Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB
Icewind Dale + HoW
Call of Duty Vanilla (sp was great, but mainly for MP .. expansion was shit)
Call of Duty 2 (multiplayer with PAM Mod, never played the sp..)
Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors
Starcraft: Brood War
Diablo 2: LoD
Warcraft 3: TFT (including DotA)
Counter-Strike 1.5

Ivan

Arcane
may or may not differ from my last post. the most recent game that really impressed me was Undertale.

Rayman Origins
FEAR
STALKER: Call of Pripyat (Misery 1.2)
Deus Ex
Fallout 1
Silent Hill 2
Undertale
God Hand
Devil May Cry 3
Thief 2

edit: holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I forgot about Gothic 2. I guess I can bump FEAR...

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Arcanum - Huge world, loads of builds, enjoyed the magic vs technology angle.

VTM Bloodlines - Great music and atmosphere, didn't play it until well after release with unofficial patches, so I probably got a better first impression than those that bought it at release.

Street Fighter 2 Alpha - A friend and I lost a lot of money playing this game against each other at the arcades.

Gothic 2 NOTR - This is great take on a semi-open world, maps have verticality, structure, powerful enemies create natural boundaries creating a real sense of progression vs terrible level scaling of Bethesda.

PST- Combat is perhaps the weakest of the Infinity Engine games, but the originality of the setting, and strong writing (that makes use of the set protagonist) really carry the game.

Fallout 2 - Played it before Fallout 1

StarCraft - Preferred this setting to Warcraft's, along with the combination of humour and grittiness.

Diablo 2 - Great cinematics and atmosphere carried the action in this game along well.

Severance Blade of Darkness - Massively unbalanced characters, but the gameplay and gore definitely rocked.

Honourable mentions

The Incredible Machine
Tactics Ogre
Icewind Dale 2
Age of Decadence
Duke Nukem 3D
Deus Ex
Arx Fatalis
Command and Conquer Red Alert
Baldur's Gate 2
Curse of Monkey Island
KOTOR 2

BreadGrill

Novice
TOP 5 WW2 GAMES
- Red Orchestra + mods (Mare Nostrum, Darkest Hour)
- Blitzkrieg + spinoffs (Stalingrad, Talvisota)
- Close Combat
- Silent Storm
- Valkyria Chronicles

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Top 10 is hard. Top 5 is managable.

1. Dominions 4
2. Rimworld
3. Mount & Blade: Warband (with Brytenwalda overhaul mod)
4. Civilization 4
5. Disciples 2

Can't think of anything else that hooked me up for a really long time.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
^ Have you tried Factorio and FortressCraft: Evolved? You would likely love them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom