Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire vs Wiz 7 and others.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Fucking necromancers man, I brofisted three comments before noticing they're 10 years old. Some people....

What's wrong with brofisting 10-year-old comments if they're good?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Wiz 7 > Grimoire > Wiz 6 > Wiz 8

I expect this will change in the final round once combat is MUH BALINSE.

At present WW7 is still the king, but Wiz 8 was just never in the running for anything. I would sit there watching monsters a mile away crawl towards me and wonder what this was supposed to be. Unplayable.

Wiz 6 a very close second, no excuses for the era required, BANE is just amazing all the way through to the end.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem with Wizardry 8 is this - in Wiz 7 it's fine when you're facing 40 enemies. It's all just a mock-up, you actually see only a few of them and they have like 3 animation frames so it's swift. Plus from mid-game on you just cast Nuclear Blast, hold ESC and the fight against 40 enemies is over in five seconds.

But translating that in an actual, "real" 3D world is just insane, especially with the turn-based system. I don't think there's another RPG that even attempted that. In MM 6-8 you fight hordes of mobs too but at least you can switch to real-time plus the figts against very large groups are relatively rare.

Still, I'm playing it now with the extensive mod by kaucukovnik (a former Codexian) and it's bearable. Barely but still. Wizardry 8 is almost entirely saved by the excellent character development system and exploration, it's the reason you swallow the combat and the terrible early 3D graphics with its ridiculous enemy models.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The problem with Wizardry 8 is this - in Wiz 7 it's fine when you're facing 40 enemies. It's all just a mock-up, you actually see only a few of them and they have like 3 animation frames so it's swift. Plus from mid-game on you just cast Nuclear Blast, hold ESC and the fight against 40 enemies is over in five seconds.

But translating that in an actual, "real" 3D world is just insane, especially with the turn-based system. I don't think there's another RPG that even attempted that. In MM 6-8 you fight hordes of mobs too but at least you can switch to real-time plus the figts against very large groups are relatively rare.

Still, I'm playing it now with the extensive mod by kaucukovnik (a former Codexian) and it's bearable. Barely but still. Wizardry 8 is almost entirely saved by the excellent character development system and exploration, it's the reason you swallow the combat and the terrible early 3D graphics with its ridiculous enemy models.

I have always found Wiz8 graphics to be excellent for early 3d. The game is fantastic with the exception of combat pacing.

Razor44

Novice
Wizardry 8 is enjoyable with the mods that speed up movement and "swing display" etc...

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Wizardry 8 is enjoyable with the mods that speed up movement and "swing display" etc...

I played it unmodded and found it fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom