Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i tried the lock on once

i decided not to try it again afterwards

we also have the quest compass. you can turn it off... if you don't wanna do the quests. the game will not bother to give any directions

what a crock of bollocks

ortucis

Prophet
So I think I found the place where the ghostly girl is from. I will have to try something different in that location because of a missing skill level. Will report if it is where the girl is actually from.

Anyone knows how to finish "The Abessa Dispute"

I think you have to talk to every named NPC and hear their aftermath comments.

I did, nothing happened.

PS: I had lock on disabled from the start, as in, when I started playing for the first time. Years of playing games has shown me that auto-lock is almost always shite. :smug:

subotaiy

Cipher
:)
6G6llVu.jpg

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Some observations...

You should beeline the faction-related quests. In Goliet, that's just the warlord quests if you fuck up badly, or most of the named NPC quests, in desert place the captains's quests and in Hort the stuff the head cleric told you to do.

Because if you don't you might end up like me - spend 25 hours doing every single menial quest everywhere, then rank up from rank 1 to 2 to 3 in < 1 hour. You'll probably have more fun using the class abilities from the get-go.

Also I think Ultra difficulty is pointless masochism. I still play it because I am stupid, and it's certainly easily beatable (well, 'easily', heh...) but it's a bit of a chore. Even at level 22 with the Rank 1 armor some things 1-hit KO you, some things 2-HIT you. And the dodging isn't quite like in Dark Souls so sooner or later you will get hit, especially because some attacks just ignore blocking.

I want to say picking "Hard" should be good enough unless you want to run from every single chicken until level 12.
Anything above "Easy" is pointless masochism, because even at at Ultra, the game isn't hard, it's just tedious.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
well it definitely is if you're intent on firing 200 arrows into enemies that drastically overlevel you
Just going where the game tells me to go, brah. Aside from the starting quests in the starting town itself, everything seems to send you into areas where the enemies "drastically overlevel" you. The funny thing is that most (all?) humanoid enemies does not seem to be working by the same insane metric as anything else, and can actually be reliably wounded without pumping 400 arrows into them, regardless of the area. An area with raptors that just stand and look at you as you pump 100 arrows into them can be shared by a couple of squatters that attack you on sight (after telling you to get out, but giving you no chance to do so, because lol) that can be dispatched in a reasonable time frame.

The issue isn't fighting overleveled enemies - the issue is that the design is S H I T.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
well it definitely is if you're intent on firing 200 arrows into enemies that drastically overlevel you

What's that,90% of them? Tell me when did Gothic 1 or 2 ever used this system,even if you were a little shit you could still damage humanoids and shadow beasts just fine,but you were insta gibbed if you ever got hit.Either they should have a made a beginning area where the player would feel significant enough and not run like little girl every time they see a monster,what's the reasoning putting Trolls,Mechs and other disgusting bloated monster just outside of Eden,what's the reasoning behind this design.
There's no sense of progression here,no coherence at all,it feels exactly like a cheap mmo,just grind your brains out and come back later to one shot the damn sons of bitches,just terrible.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Finally a real response other than " Hurr Durr Shitaku hated it - so it must be good"

But I still disagree.

I am still waiting to hear how this game is mechanically better than Andromeda or Fallout 4 to reap so much praise, when those games are completely despised.
So what's your explanation of this phenomenon then? People didn't like Andromeda and Fallout 4 out of spite?

Nope - The "Phenomenon" is giving a pass to a shit game. I think ELEX and Andromeda are both garbage.

None of the points in your article couldn't be applied to any Bioware game of the last 6 years.
Right.

- Instead of starting you off as a mighty Chosen One, you played the role of a convict with a very short life expectancy in a world where nearly every living thing could kill you in two hits
- Factions played a large role in the game, but instead of blessing a local faction with your attention, you had to convince a faction of your choice that you’re worthy and work your way up the ladder
- Somehow PB managed to conjure a living & breathing world which became an instantly recognizable trademark
- The first half of the game (until the faction choice) was amazingly non-linear and full of choices and multiple solutions, which were still a rarity in 2001.​

Which Bioware game of the last 6 years do these points describe? I didn't play Andromeda or Inquisition, but Bioware's been peddling heroic fantasy from day one. Their games are about wish fulfillment: do you want to be a mighty hero, a total badass, the best of the best? Do you want to be sexually attractive to every member of your team, men, women, aliens, bullheaded dudes? Do you want to save the world, nay, the universe? In such games the universe revolves around the player and you don't have to prove shit to anyone or follow anyone's rules.

Gothic and Elex are pretty much the opposite in terms of design and I'm surprised you can't see that.

- Andromeda doesn't start you off as a "Chosen One" AFAIK (I never played it)
- Factions are used just as extensively in Fallout 4. It ultimately boils down to the same quests with the same depth. You go too far in one faction, your excommunicated from the others. It really isn't that fucking amazing of a feature. We get the same shit factions in every Bethesda game.
- "Living and Breathing" is 100% subjective. What you call living and breathing I call a stale eurotrash setting with Random assets shoved together.
- But after that faction choice it becomes Risen 1 again. AKA It's half of a good game.

I'm not being hyperbolic anymore. If you like the game awesome. But it's nothing above and beyond the same shit we see every day. At least be consistent in your criticism.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just going where the game tells me to go, brah.

I tell you to go jump off a cliff. Will you do it?

Aside from the starting quests in the starting town itself, everything seems to send you into areas where the enemies "drastically overlevel" you.

are you one of those people who use a charisma-based build

What's that,90% of them? Tell me when did Gothic 1 or 2 ever used this system,even if you were a little shit you could still damage humanoids and shadow beasts just fine,but you were insta gibbed if you ever got hit.Either they should have a made a beginning area where the player would feel significant enough and not run like little girl every time they see a monster,what's the reasoning putting Trolls,Mechs and other disgusting bloated monster just outside of Eden,what's the reasoning behind this design.
There's no sense of progression here,no coherence at all,it feels exactly like a cheap mmo,just grind your brains out and come back later to one shot the damn sons of bitches,just terrible.

i shall hereby not reply to you until you learn how to type

Grimlorn

Arcane
Are there any weapons that have a damage of more than 120?

I was experimenting with the improve weapon upgrade on my weapons. I noticed I had a bow called the war bow. When upgraded to +3 it has a damage of 120. I have a couple other bows that don't upgrade like this. None of the other special weapons compare. Most everything upgrades to 80-90 at +3. So I'm wondering if there are sort of special weapons like this in each category or if I haven't really found any legendary or good weapons yet. I assumed the ones with a star and a special name were legendary, but their stat requirements are generally higher than normal and they don't do as much damage. They are around 80-100 typically.

I've been playing melee for most of the game and would like to find an outlaw chain sword that does similar damage. My chain sword only does about 76 I think at +3, although I've noticed a chain saber in shop that upgrades to do 6 more damage than the sword.

Last edited:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Just going where the game tells me to go, brah.

I tell you to go jump off a cliff. Will you do it?

Aside from the starting quests in the starting town itself, everything seems to send you into areas where the enemies "drastically overlevel" you.

are you one of those people who use a charisma-based build

i shall hereby not reply to you until you learn how to type

Not competent enough to defend your shitty arguments,sure have it your way.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
- The combat mechanics are utter garbage. The game is unplayable once the PC enters combat. There is no excuse for this shit. 1st Gothic had better combat.

Whenever I read comments like this I wonder: is it someone who took time to understand and master the system and STILL thinks is garbage or someone who just mashed the Space key or left mouse furiously as he is used to from traditional action games, screaming from frustration and ragequitting after five minutes?

I remember similar reactions when Gothic 2 came out, all the wailing it's retarded and bad and stupid controlz and never again. I installed, started the game, played for half an hour and thought I had never played an action RPG with a more engaging, fun and carefully thought out melee combat. Then Gothic 3 shat the bed a bit (tho it got much better with the community patches) and Risen 1 pushed the combat envelope even further, becoming hands down the best action combat in any RPG for me before I played Dark Souls.

Fuck I just wanna play this game already.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Whenever I read comments like this I wonder: is it someone who took time to understand and master the system and STILL thinks is garbage or someone who just mashed the Space key or left mouse furiously as he is used to from traditional action games, screaming from frustration and ragequitting after five minutes?

I remember similar reactions when Gothic 2 came out, all the wailing it's retarded and bad and stupid controlz and never again. I installed, started the game, played for half an hour and thought I had never played an action RPG with a more engaging, fun and carefully thought out melee combat. Then Gothic 3 shat the bed a bit (tho it got much better with the community patches) and Risen 1 pushed the combat envelope even further, becoming hands down the best action combat in any RPG for me before I played Dark Souls.

Whatever PB is doing right now though, they should focus on getting a solid manual out. The longer they go without doing this, the more it's going to hurt the game.

Murk

Arcane
So how do you get into the locked off room in the abandoned converter in Edan?

Murk

Arcane
The room with a light shield?

Yeah. I saw the door on the other side that has a keypad, but never found anything (in the area) to give a hint as to what the code is.

Unless it's something you get from another area, in which case nvm.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Whatever PB is doing right now though, they should focus on getting a solid manual out. The longer they go without doing this, the more it's going to hurt the game.

PB is an extremely old fashioned developer, in that they don't believe in this whole game development 2.0 newfangled nonsense where the studio is in close contact with the fans. They still believe a developer and the fans should live in separate worlds, cut off from each other by a thick wall. Maybe it's the language barrier, maybe they're more open to the German audience, dunno. But when it comes to communication in English they've been completely ignoring the paradigm change that happened around the release of Risen 1.

There's very little info on what they're up to at any given moment, the after-release communication is atrocious, you never know if they're working on bugs, what bugs, if they're listening to the community or what the fuck is going on in there in general. So I guess we'll never know if the manual is incoming or not either. It might just pop out one day out of the blue. Or not.

One example - when Risen 2 came out the combat was legitimately unplayable. They took away the shield from Risen 1 and they took away the dodge as well. So people were mighty confused - how the fuck are we supposed to fight the mobs without blocking AND dodging? You get gibbed instantly. Or maybe we haven't discovered some secret trick to the combat mechanics? PB was absolutely silent for about a month on this. And then, out of the blue, a patch materialized and implemented dodge. Without a word, without an explanation. To this day nobody knows if it was just a bug or a misguided feature, remedied after a pressure from the fanbase. That's Piranha Bytes.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
- The combat mechanics are utter garbage. The game is unplayable once the PC enters combat. There is no excuse for this shit. 1st Gothic had better combat.

The gameplay is not even close to surpass Gothic 1 or 2,the combat feels slugish and there are so many other factors that ruins it,like getting stuck in terrain,disgusting hitboxes and so many other things that I just can't explain it,you just have to play the game.

Let me give you a few examples

Here's Elex combat in a nutshell

And then there's Gothic

These games from 15 years ago have better hitboxes and a more fluent combat,how incompetent you have to be to fuck up so bad.

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
The room with a light shield?

Yeah. I saw the door on the other side that has a keypad, but never found anything (in the area) to give a hint as to what the code is.

Unless it's something you get from another area, in which case nvm.
You have to learn hacking and hack it. Sometimes these electronic locks can't be hacked and you need to look for the code around. Sometimes it's written on a desk or wall. Or maybe you need hacking up to lvl 2 or 3 for some. I've only gotten it up to 2.

PrettyDeadman

Have anyone done Blake and Rat quest? After I helped Rat become Blakes bodyguard they started running around the desert like 2 assholes. It's very hard to catch them, but then you do (usually when they get into fight with enemies) - they say nothing new.
How to make progress in that quest?
Did you buy the stims for Rat from the doc?
yes

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Alas, the old guard simply can't convince those young'uns with their high expectations of combat and not-jank to accept this newest 'step in the right direction'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom