Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
They were well placed you moron and you could easly kite some of them by abusing the environment

you have a jetpack

read my lips

you

have

a

jetpack

also: "by abusing the environment", nigga just eject yourself from this thread

The jetpack is fucking useless,especially when you have reavers with infinite amount of grenade launchers that shot at the rate of a defected tennis ball trowing machine.You have trolls that trow rocks that lock on your character as if they trow heat seaking missiles,you have monsters that spit acid and fire and locks on your character like they are aim bots.Why would I jetpack away and make my life harder you dumb fuck

kain30

Cipher
Guys, is this game well optimized or is the kind of game that cooks your computer? I have an republic of gamers laptop and i don´t know if it will heat up too much.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Guys, is this game well optimized or is the kind of game that cooks your computer? I have an republic of gamers laptop and i don´t know if it will heat up too much.
I have 2.5 years old MSI gaming laptop with nvidia 970 GPU and ok-ish i7 processor, and the game works like a charm on full hd with nearly everything maxed. CPU temperature is surprisingly low for my system (my gen of MSI laptops are very warm) so I think you should be set if your GPU is reasonable. For the temp control, you can buy a cooling pad with external fans for a cheap price. Decreases temps for me with about 5 Celsius for both CPU and GPU (which is a lot a higher temps).

In the game, I immediately turned of the enemy level indicator and the hud radar for moar thrillz.

Raapys

Arcane
I'm actually wondering if some people have yet to discover that the game has a Sprint feature. It's the only way I can explain how they have so much trouble kiting or escaping enemies.

The only enemy type that can be somewhat difficult to kite is the Albs, since their projectiles are fairly quick(and in the case of flamethrower, seemingly all-penetrating).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The jetpack is fucking useless,especially when you have reavers with infinite amount of grenade launchers that shot at the rate of a defected tennis ball trowing machine.You have trolls that trow rocks that lock on your character as if they trow heat seaking missiles,you have monsters that spit acid and fire and locks on your character like they are aim bots.Why would I jetpack away and make my life harder you dumb fuck

they don't lock on autoaim heat seeking missiles

they just lead the target and predict your movement

you don't seem like a very able individual

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously, to everyone bitching about high level enemies near Goliet, use your brain. Most of the really tough ones, like the troll near your base camp or the mech inside the walls of the Edan converter, are huge, visible from far away and very easy to avoid.

This is supposed to be a hazardous world at war that’s severely under policed. If you exercise caution and don’t try to kill everything in your path, you should be fine. Sprinting + jet pack will get you away from nearly everything. People who decide to fight these incredibly tough opponents by kiting them with a goddamn Cultivator Bow are out of their minds. Sure, maybe you can kill it by kiting it and shooting with 200 arrows, but that sounds a lot more tedious than running away and of course it’s not fun. Stop trying to kill everything immediately.

To the dude who said factions play like Fallout 4, you are out of your mind.

1. For the love of Calaan, faction choice in Elex affects GAMEPLAY. Different factions have very different abilities that play different. If F4 only let members of the Brotherhood wear power armor, then it would have something in common with Elex. But that’s not the case. No gameplay element is gated by faction choice in F4.

2. The faction related quests have a lot more interactivity with each other than all but a couple in F4. You’re constantly running into conflicts between groups and need to pick a side over and over. Sometimes that bites you in the ass with your chosen faction if you don’t tow the party line.

3. F4 doesn’t force you to make a meaningful choice until very late on the storyline. With Elex, the C&C is INTENSE fairly early on, and it keeps looping around.

. I’m only level 12 and I accidentally let the Albs conquer and occupy the domed city because I foolishly tried to play the outlaws and clerics off against each other. Major city gone, whoops! And they wait a few in game days before the invasion so you can’t save scum back to make different decisions without rolling back a ton of character progression.

4. There are no boring ass “good guy” factions in Elex. Power fucking corrupts and all the Elex factions are corrupted. If you want the best powers, you have to side with one of the nutjob faction—clerics who kidnap people and mind control them or berserkers with insane laws who love to exile or execute. If you want more freedom, you need to join the mafia/outlaws, but you get worse weapons and worse abilities. No such trade offs in Bethesda fallouts.

Elex

Arbiter
This fucking fall damage is killing me.

1) enemies dont stop pursuing. so anytime one gets attacked by an over leveled enemy, running away is only possible if one can vertically jetpack out of range. otherwise one can run for days and create a train of monsters who never care that they are miles from home.
2) fucking fall damage. I die more from jumping around than anything else. An 8 foot roof? -- Instant Death! Things that wouldnt sprain an ankle kill this dude.
3) dialogue is soooo boring. way worse than Gothic games, worse than all the Risen games, and is at LEAST as bad as Two Worlds. (excpet less boobs)
4.) apparently PC is legally blind.
fall damage? you have the day one patch installed?

Elex

Arbiter
Why don't you make it with 4 natural and 2 alcohol? Also does anyone knows what you have to do to finish "New Findings" and "For handful of shards" ? I am at chapter 4 and those two don't want to progress their quest. It is really annoying.
Damn... I had no recipe, assumed it works out the same.
wow so jax know the “alb recipe” but he can buy and use the “free people” recipe?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm actually wondering if some people have yet to discover that the game has a Sprint feature. It's the only way I can explain how they have so much trouble kiting or escaping enemies.

The only enemy type that can be somewhat difficult to kite is the Albs, since their projectiles are fairly quick(and in the case of flamethrower, seemingly all-penetrating).

There's no need to sprint away from enemies anyway. The jetpack is there for a reason, and the reason is to take elaborate paths around monsters in places where they can't reach or see you. This way you're also bound to find some little treasures here and there.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What they nerfed fall damage? They shouldn't. It was easily manageable pre-patch.

Elex

Arbiter
Some observations...

You should beeline the faction-related quests. In Goliet, that's just the warlord quests if you fuck up badly, or most of the named NPC quests, in desert place the captains's quests and in Hort the stuff the head cleric told you to do.

Because if you don't you might end up like me - spend 25 hours doing every single menial quest everywhere, then rank up from rank 1 to 2 to 3 in < 1 hour. You'll probably have more fun using the class abilities from the get-go.

Also I think Ultra difficulty is pointless masochism. I still play it because I am stupid, and it's certainly easily beatable (well, 'easily', heh...) but it's a bit of a chore. Even at level 22 with the Rank 1 armor some things 1-hit KO you, some things 2-HIT you. And the dodging isn't quite like in Dark Souls so sooner or later you will get hit, especially because some attacks just ignore blocking.

I want to say picking "Hard" should be good enough unless you want to run from every single chicken until level 12.
well doing all the quest before joining a faction is a classic in pb games: because you fear auto failing certain quest and you don’t want to lose the reward and xp.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Are you telling me that rock is not acting like a heat seaking missile,are you really that dumb to think that kind of AI and artificial difficulty should be normal in any game? Jesus christ,some people on this forum are mentaly retarded or something

Elex

Arbiter
Random bits:
- Natural ELEX is required for creating +2 Abilities potions and potential weapons upgrades. Don't waste it on anything else.
- One-hand + Shield build is broken because on upgrade One-hand requires STR + DEX/CON while the Shield requires STR + CON. Basically if you skilled STR + DEX then you will not be able to use an ungraded shield. Bummer.
- The combat mechanics are utter garbage. The game is unplayable once the PC enters combat. There is no excuse for this shit. 1st Gothic had better combat.
- Gothic approach to the world design was better. Maybe I'm wrong but I remember that the mobs in Gothic were generated each time a new chapter was started and the mobs placements was great. I cannot say the same thing about ELEX.
- Exploration is the game's strong point. Just take a companion and explore the world. It's actually great. The second strong point is the quest design: the way in which the quest are interwoven. Did not see such a thing in long time.
- The UI is an abomination. The quests compass is real. But it's way better than Risen 3 and it feels like an old PB game. The game could be good if they patch some things.
the “new enemy after each chapter” was good but not perfect, because forced you to clean the map after each chapter for find what enemy spawned.

i don’t have a real opinion on elex respawn and enemy placement for now.
hard enemy have good placement, the problem that people have is with “medium” enemy that aren’t powefull but can still oneshot low level and are placed next to road, but after few level they are easy to kill with some tactics

Shadenuat

Arcane

From all the choices present to the player when facing an impossible obstacle, player will always engage in the most monotonous and grindy one. - write than into a game design book 101 or something.

Reminds me of Griffin in Witcher 3 a lot.

odrzut

Arcane
What they nerfed fall damage? They shouldn't. It was easily manageable pre-patch.

The problem with fall damage isn't that it's too much, but that it's inconsistent. Same height, 0 initial velocity - sometimes Jax takes no damage, sometimes dies. It might depend on the ground type (I think I never died falling on snow, and took more damage on average on stone than on soil).

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just going where the game tells me to go, brah.
Funnily enough, there is a quest in Berserker town, when if you do what you have been told to do - you are punished.
But that's just not for you right?
You mean the quest where you're sent to do something, and then you do it, and in the course of doing so, you ask some standard questions and they suddenly go "Dohoho, you're a crafty one, aren't you?" and flat out tells you that it was a test to see if you're fucking retarded, and then you don't do it and you're rewarded for mindlessly clicking through the dialogue options? Yeah, I did that one.

It was shit.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Andromeda doesn't start you off as a "Chosen One" AFAIK (I never played it)
My bad. It starts you off as the Pathfinder.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Ryder

What's a pathfinder, you ask?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Pathfinder

Pathfinders are a blend of elite soldier, scientist, and guide tasked by the Andromeda Initiative to find a new home for Milky Way colonists seeking to settle in the Andromeda galaxy. Each of the Initiative's five Arks are assigned their own Pathfinder, and each Pathfinder heads their own team to handle the challenges of an unexplored galaxy.

- Factions are used just as extensively in Fallout 4. It ultimately boils down to the same quests with the same depth. You go too far in one faction, your excommunicated from the others. It really isn't that fucking amazing of a feature. We get the same shit factions in every Bethesda game.
It's like saying all RPGs have combat that gives you loot and experience, ergo all combat is the same. If you don't see the difference between Bethesda's faction design and PB's faction design, then you're willfully blind and this conversation is pointless.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Are you telling me that rock is not acting like a heat seaking missile,are you really that dumb to think that kind of AI and artificial difficulty should be normal in any game? Jesus christ,some people on this forum are mentaly retarded or something
It's actually amazing, when I look at that footage, how much more responsive and not-fucking-jerky the combat seems, compared to the complete fucking clusterfuck it is on PC. I guess the game could actually be considered pretty acceptable.. for a console game, for console gaymers.

The problem with fall damage isn't that it's too much, but that it's inconsistent. Same height, 0 initial velocity - sometimes Jax takes no damage, sometimes dies. It might depend on the ground type (I think I never died falling on snow, and took more damage on average on stone than on soil).
The problem with fall damage is that if you're in the red with the jetpack when you fall, unless you're falling from having used the jetpack, the jetpack does not engage, which happens easily in a game where the world geometry seems to have been built by 7 year old Lego enthusiasts.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wonder wha

I wonder what would have happened if the guy rolled left as the troll threw the rock instead of rolling right into the trajectory of the rock.

T. Reich

Arcane
Here's a bit of my personal experience with the game:
5 hours in, got to the zerker camp, explored it thouroughly, did a couple of quests, and explored some of the surrounding areas, plus some exploratory suicide runs deep into unexplored territory.
The world is truly open - so far I have encountered zero hard barriers to exploration outside of hazard zones.
The jetpack plays a huge role in providing a relatively safe travelling experience.
My best experience with the open world so far has been an episode when I went along the coast past the berserker camp SE lake and safely made it to some YUGE abandoned factory(?). It connected to some island-based factory, which I also explored, whereby I found a clandestine Cleric op. From there I managed to sprint NE, outrunning/jumping all the dangers, and I made it to the outlaw fort safely. All the while I was impressed by the smooth transition of the environments, everything lookd great.
The mob placement so far seems rather scarce, compared to G1+2, R1 anyway. Most of the enemies I've seen were solo or in pairs. Makes for easier exploration and combat, I suppose.
Regarding combat... IMO, it's somewhat reminiscent of R1's, but definitely easier. I'm a fairly dex-challenged person, so I've yet to master Elex's swing timings and stamina system. However, I should note, that ALL 1-on-1 fights are readily manageable as long as you can actually damage an enemy with your weapon. I'm still 10str and using that rusty hatchet, but so far I've managed to defeat solo enemies worth up to 100exp by carefully dodging their attacks and then following up with my own series of 4-5 (ill-timed, no combos) swings, and then avoiding them some more until my stamina refilled.
I'm sure that melee combat with 2+ enemies will be pretty interesting, because you'll have to manage more than 1 target.
Watching enemy stamina bar seems to also be a good help in combat. 0 stamina means they can't retaliate, and that means you can go all in with offense.
The stat system seems to be used as the skill/gear check, rather than providing stat bonuses of its own. It's rather unorthodox, but I'm fine with that. Definitely a fresher approach, and it also encourages more spread out distribution of stats as opposed to extreme min-maxing.

All in all, definitely a worthy game!

Elex

Arbiter
well it definitely is if you're intent on firing 200 arrows into enemies that drastically overlevel you

What's that,90% of them? Tell me when did Gothic 1 or 2 ever used this system,even if you were a little shit you could still damage humanoids and shadow beasts just fine,but you were insta gibbed if you ever got hit.Either they should have a made a beginning area where the player would feel significant enough and not run like little girl every time they see a monster,what's the reasoning putting Trolls,Mechs and other disgusting bloated monster just outside of Eden,what's the reasoning behind this design.
There's no sense of progression here,no coherence at all,it feels exactly like a cheap mmo,just grind your brains out and come back later to one shot the damn sons of bitches,just terrible.
no no in gothic 1/2 you can’t damage enemy with good armor this is why when you look at humanoids in gothic 1/2 you judge their power by their armor.

what you can do in gothic 1/2 is put all the point in strenght and swing a two handed weapon like a retarded (no training point invested) but still kill a tough enemy because you managed to pierce the armor not really fun but can work.

also i remember when i tried to join the monastery in g2 and put no point in str at all for be a “pure mage” it was a painfull start (still fun)

instead yes in risen 1-2-3 you can still inflict some damage to armored targed need some reload and try but yes you can do it.

(and in gothic 3 i remeber the frustration of being stunlocked by weak enemy more than the capacity of damage them)

i don’t know how armor exactly work in elex but the feeling is close/identical to g1/2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom