Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hyakki Castle - real-time dungeon crawler set in mythical 18th century Japan

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Where you can play as Japanese monster races, split up your party, and do seppuku.

ss_e232029664454699854c36b0570ea2b9560d7f3e.600x338.jpg

ss_e69479471160fc466e9699044bccedb1775165be.600x338.jpg

ss_c83cce5b3bc2d6206b782bc8b927ff8af0dd654c.600x338.jpg

SUMMARY

A full-scale real-time dungeon RPG exploring a mysterious castle set in the 18th century, during the Edo Period of Japan. Now with a 2 Party System where you can divide into parties and move separately, a feature not seen up until now in real-time dungeon RPGs. New strategies and ways of solving puzzles by dividing the party and attacking enemies, a new evolution of real-time dungeon RPGs!

STORY

Hyakki Castle
is set in the Edo Period of Japan, and the castle is on an island of exile where criminals are sent. Doman Kigata, a prodigy sorcerer who schemed to overthrow the Shogunate and place a death curse on a leader, has been captured and sent to the island. One day decapitated heads were sent to Edo Castle. It was the barely recognizable form of Hyakki Castle guards and criminals. "My offering to you, contents: 3 heads - The Lord of Hyakki Castle" News of a mystical castle appearing on Hyakki Island had already reached the Shogunate's search team. Iemune, the current Shogun of the time, believed this to be the doing of Doman Kigata. The investigation of Hyakki Castle and the assassination of Doman Kigata were appointed to 4 secret agents (the player)...

FEATURES

"The 2 Party System" is a new system in which the parties can be divided.
  • It is possible to divide the parties of 4 into 2 parties (2:2 people or 1:3 people) at any given time.
  • Divide your team into 2 parties and take out strong enemy monsters with a pincer attack, or lure enemies with 1 party while getting items with the other. New strategies that have never been seen before in real-time dungeon RPGs!

A new trick for solving mysteries with the 2 Party System!
  • Divide into 2 parties to work your way through various traps. Use one team to open a door with a switch, while another party passes through the door to get an item, and then go back to maneuvering with the first party...
  • The player's instinct and judgment will be tested far more than real-time dungeon RPGs of the past by solving mysteries with 2 parties!

View of the World ~ A true Fantastical World of Japan created by a Japanese studio ~
A slew of creepy monsters, such as the "Yokai" of ancient Japanese literature, have been brought back to life, ready and waiting for the player at "Hyakki Castle"!

When making characters the player can choose from traditional Japanese classes, such as Samurai or Ninja, and can choose from different races, such as Oni or Tengu.
The player can choose from different traditional Japanese classes such as Samurai, Ninja, Monk, etc. Different races, such as Oni, Tengu, and Nekomata, can also be chosen, each having their own special ability.

Attack and defense related skills can be used, as well as skills that control the placement of the enemy!
  • Deal big damage with a pillar of fire using the Ninja skill "Katon Jutsu"!
  • By using the Oni skill "Roar," the enemies' attacks will focus on one spot, but they will temporarily be paralyzed!
  • If the Samurai skill "Yoidewanaika" succeeds, the enemy will turn sideways! Deal big damage by attacking them from the side!
  • Eradicate monsters by utilizing skills from the classes and races.
The player can set skills they've acquired, such as attacks and spells!
Each character can equip up to 4 "actions" at the same time, such as attacks, defenses, projectiles, and spells.

Death over dishonor... "Seppuku", a skill where you take your own life!
All of the player's characters commit Seppuku, in which they all take their own lives. Seppuku is an act of the Japanese Way of the Samurai, in which one takes their own life to protect their honor. Choose an honorable death by Seppukuover the dishonor of being killed! (Dead characters will be revived at a save point inside the castle.)

- Hyakki Castle is compatible with a keyboard and mouse, or a controller.
- PlayStation®4 and Xbox 360 controllers are compatible as well.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Curiously, this game's publisher Haapinet is a company that has been making toys for kids and games for (pre)teen girls, and its developer Asakusa Studios is their new gaming brand for "global game fans."

I guess this is some kind of passion project by someone inside. (edit: probably the guy named Masaru Saito on the website.) Also that PC/Steam has much lower barrier to access global audience than consoles.

edit2: okay so there was someone named Masaru Saito in From Software: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,198810/

He was a level designer on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Wonder if this is the same person.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looks pretty dope. sufficiently prosperian, cool setting, and the party splitting sounds pretty interesting.

tet666

Augur
Curiously, this game's publisher Haapinet is a company that has been making toys for kids and games for (pre)teen girls, and its developer Asakusa Studios is their new gaming brand for "global game fans."

I guess this is some kind of passion project by someone inside. (edit: probably the guy named Masaru Saito on the website.) Also that PC/Steam has much lower barrier to access global audience than consoles.

edit2: okay so there was someone named Masaru Saito in From Software: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,198810/

He was a level designer on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Wonder if this is the same person.

That's a pretty common name, i doubt it's the same person, but who knows.
Anyway i like the concept and Rt Dungeon Crawlers are rare these days so i'm interested.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
Divide your team into 2 parties and take out strong enemy monsters with a pincer attack, or lure enemies with 1 party while getting items with the other. New strategies that have never been seen before in real-time dungeon RPGs!
I swear this has already been done in some game or another

Jinn

Arcane
Really not a fan of RT dungeon crawlers, but this looks interesting enough to give it try. Will keep my eye on it.

Hyperion

Arcane
Divide your team into 2 parties and take out strong enemy monsters with a pincer attack, or lure enemies with 1 party while getting items with the other. New strategies that have never been seen before in real-time dungeon RPGs!
I swear this has already been done in some game or another

Divinity: Original Sin allowed this, sorta. There's definitely another game in my mind I just can't put the name to it. I distinctly remember the controls for it sucking because it was on a console, and the circle under the character's name would change colors when you did it.

Regarding this game though, the real-time aspect is killing it and it seems like the general consensus is the same. It's the main reason I never touched Legend of Grimrock, and this game seems to be aiming for that crowd since it did well. Shame about the setting since it's been beaten to death by Koei for the last 35 years.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
There are turn-based blobbers allow party split (Realms of Arkania for example) not to mention games that party is not represented as a blob. But I'm not sure any real-time first-person dungeon crawlers done this.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Closer things I have in mind are Hired Guns but as you say the party never acts as a blob, and Bloodwych in local-coop but once again it's a different thing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hmmm

HsnV0DB.png

Okay, I get it, this is a Japanese PC game.

But I wonder why does it look suspiciously similar to the requirements of Nier: Automata? Almost like they copy and pasted them, and edited some parts:

MDQnT3r.png

:philosoraptor:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Nice find and thanks for posting.

Could do with another dungeon crawler in my life and low excitement we have oriental twist going on.

But if we get more puzzles with lights and timing movement I think I will morph into my most hated of all things - a story fag and might as well go play Witcher.

Combat, people to talk to, shops, some innovation would be cool.

Puzzles? Don't think so.

Jinn

Arcane
That party splitting looks really cool in action. If only it was turn-based :negative:.

Still something I will be checking out at some point though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, they have another game to release that is very different with this:

ss_f9b89dd9618bc79efbd6d09c13b3ff282717a8c6.600x338.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Out now.

An extra dungeon will be added sometime in 2017:

The additional dungeon features a high level of difficulty, and will be available in an update. Clearing this extra dungeon plays the full version of the biwa song, Dan no Ura, used in the trailer, and displays special end credits with information on Yokai appearing in the game.

Sinatar

Arbiter
So this came out today. I played about 6 hours of it on stream and it's pretty good.

Pros:
- The feudal japan setting is very unique for dungeon crawlers and they make good use of it. Everything from character classes/races, environmental design, equipment, music and enemies are steeped in the setting.
- The character leveling system seems pretty good. You've got passive abilities that automatically unlock when you hit certain milestones and you earn skill points you can spend on class specific skill trees for your active skills.
- You can split your party up into 2 separate groups which is used for some mild puzzle solving.
- Dungeon design has been good, enemies are frequent enough to keep you on your toes, but not oppressively so, it doesn't feel grindy.

Cons:
- Game runs at a fixed 720p resolution with no option to change it, if you run it full screen it just upscales.
- You can only save at the beginning of each floor, since the game has quite a lot of lethal traps this can result in a lot of replaying content, otherwise you spend a lot of time backtracking to the save point.
- The party splitting feels pretty marginal. I've never used it in combat and the puzzles involving it are all pretty basic. See a door with a pressure plate? Inevitably you'll need to stand someone on the plate, run the rest of the party through the door, find the next plate then run the first guy through. They could have expanded on this a lot more I feel.
- Some weird UI quirks. For example your character panels that let you attack auto-hide themselves, which in and of itself is annoying, but it does it in the middle of combat a lot which is really silly.

Overall I think it's a pretty cool game, not an instant classic or anything but if you're into real time crawlers it's worth a look.

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
Alright I finished it, here's some updated impressions:

Took a little shy of 12 hours to finish.

Pros:
- Nice use of the feudal japan setting. It looks nice, the enemy designs are great, the music during the boss fights is fantastic, everything about this aspect is great.
- The dungeon design is solid. There is nice balance of exploration and combat, it never felt grindy.

Cons:
- The save system. You can only save at a specific point on each map (usually right at the start). So every time you want to save you have to backtrack through an empty dungeon. Enemies don't respawn (outside of specific areas) so there is literally 0 risk vs reward to using the save points, it's just do you feel like taking 10 minutes trudging back and forth through the dungeon to save and get back to where you were. If there was some risk involved with travelling back, then the system might make sense, but as it is it just adds a fuckton of tedium to the game.
- This kind of couples onto the save system, but there are tons of ways for your whole party to instantly die, which then results in you having to redo a bunch of gameplay because of the save system.
- Class balance is poor. I had one of each class. The samurai was great, he had decent health and did tons of damage. The mage class also does very nice damage and can heal. The ninja for some reason does similar to less damage then the Samurai but is made of paper mache. The Sohei (aka tank) can draw "agro" but 80% of the attacks in the game *hit your whole party* making agro management utterly useless. Since he's supposed to tank his damage output is absolutely abyssmal making him a completely useless class. At this point, the most efficient team for this game would be 3 samurais and a caster. Also something silly, the mage can get a ressurection spell but since most attacks hit everyone (including the mage) and the mage has the lowest health, anytime someone dies it's 99% sure the mage is dead too rendering the spell completely useless, which given it's 20 skill point cost is insane.
- Party splitting is completely wasted. This is the games big defining gimmick and it's completely pointless. I never once used in it combat, since enemies hit so hard having even half your party stand still is suicide, you need to be constantly dodging. Other then that the puzzles involving it were incredibly simple. Generally it's either a pressure plate by a door, hold the plate with 1 group, run the other group through to another pressure plate on the other side, then group 1 comes through, or it's just a door with 2 pressure plates. They could have done *so much* more with this mechanic. You could remove it from the game entirely and nothing would be lost.
- The end boss is pretty ridiculous. I won't get into specifics beyond he has 4 different attacks that all have the same wind up animation/sound but have to be dodged differently. Really bad design here.
- The UI is a mess. Why does it constantly auto hide the character panels? More importantly *WHY DOES IT AUTO HIDE THEM IN THE MIDDLE OF COMBAT!?!?* Moving items around is fiddly as well with the mouse. Also you can't free look with mouse and keyboard, only with a gamepad right stick?
- Load times are crazy long. I installed this on my SSD and it often would take over a minute to load a level.
- Screen resolution is locked to 720p? Come on.

So yea all in all I didn't hate the game, but there a lot of issues, some of which could be patched, some are core to the design. I would only recommend this to the most hardcore of dungeon crawling fans who've played everything else. For anyone else I could recommend a bunch of better crawlers to play instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/11/29/hyakki-castle-review/

Wot I Think: Hyakki Castle

OPart_03-620x300.jpg

It’s almost impossible to talk about Asakusa Studio’s debut game Hyakki Castlewithout invoking the looming western spectre of Legend of Grimrock. While this particular formula for party-based first-person dungeon crawlery (real-time grid-based movement and all) dates all the way back to Dungeon Master in the 80s, Grimrock is the game that re-launched a genre, and a solid yardstick by which to measure imitators.

Hyakki Castle, then, is Legend of Grimrock – the original, rather than the more open-world sequel – in Medieval, mythical Japan. It’s a pure dungeon crawl with only the most threadbare of stories: a team of four heroes are sent to a cursed castle to stop an evil wizard. Boilerplate, even by dungeon crawl standards. Hyakki Castle has few ambitions of its own and while it comes tantalisingly close to Grimrock at moments, more often than not it feels like a shallow imitation that doesn’t even wear its own aesthetic as comfortably as it should.

I’ve found my time with it enjoyable enough – it’s a genre I’ve always enjoyed, but it’s almost impossible to shake the sense that everything here has been done better elsewhere, and the two defining aspects of the game (the Japanese mythological setting and the option to split your party in half, controlling them separately split-screen style) don’t feel as well baked as they needed to be.

The sense of superficiality begins as early as character creation. Beyond personal expression, there’s little mechanical reason to deviate from the default party provided, as it features one character of each of the four races (only offering slight stat deviations from the human norm) and four classes, which for all their eastern trappings fall into the tried and true Fighter, Rogue, Monk & Priest archetypes, all of which level at the same rate, and gain new abilities through a simple skill grid.

Character creation over, you’re given a brief intro and are unceremoniously dropped into the dungeon without even a guide on what the buttons do. I eventually found there is a limited in-game guide, which I had to refer to just to figure out where my individual party member’s health bars were located. It should say something about the state of the UI’s usability when the top developer-pinned sticky thread on the Steam forums is dedicated to explaining how to move items from one party member’s inventory to another.

Combat balance is a little strange in Hyakki Castle. Enemies tend to only have two or three attacks – usually well telegraphed and evadable with a quick back or side-step – but the damage output can vary enormously just between the melee or ranged attacks of a single monster. A close-range hit might take off a fifth of one character’s health, but a ranged shot might outright kill a party member in one shot, and many larger monster attacks can hit the entire party simultaneously.

If the mechanics presented are to be believed at face value, the game wants you to evade rather than absorb damage, which makes one of the four classes being tanking-oriented (aggro management skills and all) all the more baffling. For the most part, it’s easy to avoid any and all damage if you can fight a single enemy on your own terms, but get cornered between two or more baddies and death seems all but assured.

Gaikotsu-Yujo_Wanyudo-620x333.jpg

‘Objection!’ I hear someone completely real at the back shout, referencing an entirely different game. ‘But what about the party-splitting mechanic so heavily featured in the trailers?’ asks this not-at-all hypothetical individual. Well, yes, you’d be right that the game does let you split your party, but as interesting as the idea could have been, there’s almost no reason to do it outside of the handful of puzzles (and I use that term loosely) that require you to stand on two pressure plates at once. It’s an exciting yet woefully under-utilised gimmick.

While you could theoretically try running a party with damage dealers on one side and a tank on the other, the single-square-wide hallways and incredible dexterity required in juggling the two parties in combat makes this less than viable as a playstyle. It’s a shame, really – there are so many ways that they could have leveraged this in the design, but instead it feels like they’ve tried to shoehorn a new mechanic into the Grimrock template without expanding the design to give it room to breathe.

The Japanese myth aesthetic also seems superficial at best. While the monster designs are interesting to look at – a mix of undead critters, spirits, animated angry walls and worse – they feel largely like reskins of standard dungeon crawler foes. This feeling continues in the loot that you get – rather than require a bedroll or a tent to rest (at the expense of hunger), you use a Zabuton, a traditional Japanese floor cushion, which is even more bizarrely disposed of after you’ve had a little sit-down. This might seem fitting if you’re running a party of four Nekomata (cat-folk), but otherwise feels like a cheap reskin of another studio’s design.

Castle3-620x333.jpg

The game even appropriates Grimrock’s blue mystical save points which fully restore your party to health. Any party member dying is your cue to backtrack to the last save point to get them revived for free, because otherwise they’ll miss out on any combat experience the rest of the party earn. It makes death feel more irritating than impactful, as your path back to the last save point will always be clear, turning the return trip into a long, pointless march.

In a truly odd twist, there is a ‘seppuku’ skill which all characters begin with, but must be manually equipped. While described in-game as a way to return to the last save point, it just seems to be a thematically darker way of reverting to your most recent save file. A process done much quicker just by loading your save directly. It feels like Asakusa Studios were just rifling through a grab-bag of Japanese cultural cliches to mash into the game with little idea of how to make them fit.

As a series of combat encounters, Hyakki Castle is solid enough, with some fun traps and ambushes to work around, but otherwise the level design is very straightforward. It lacks Grimrock’s more complex interactions with the world. Items only exist in treasure chests or your inventory, never on the floor. Things cannot be thrown, hidden switches cannot be searched for, and riddles cannot be solved by plugging arbitrary inventory items into holes in the wall. While functional enough in their design, I’ve seen procedurally generated dungeons elsewhere with far more of a human touch.

HYAKKI-CASTLE_2-620x307.jpg

Every few floors (14 in total, unless I miscounted), your adventure will be punctuated with a boss battle, which largely play out like the regular combat, only on a slightly larger scale. Boss attacks tend to hit across a large area, are even more telegraphed, more deadly (several can kill the entire party instantly) and generally a bit more interesting to look at, but other than needing to hang back and learn some visual tells before diving in, they’re still largely just a matter of hopping forward, unloading every attack skill you have and backing quickly away. Rinse, repeat and Bob’s your shogun.

So many of these sins would be easier to forgive if the game was an atmospheric and aesthetic powerhouse, but it manages to fall short of Grimrock (the original, even) there, too. Relatively simplistic 3D graphics (especially the chunky particle effects) can spoil the mood, with wall textures repeating frequently enough to make many corridors within a given dungeon floor appear identical. This compounds with a slightly-too-small minimap (and a larger map frustratingly hidden within sub-menus) to make for a less comfortable dungeon exploration experience than it should be.

Kamikiri-620x333.jpg

Lastly is one especially bizarre graphical shortcoming that may be a dealbreaker for some. After multiple tests, the game doesn’t seem to scale up to other resolutions as gracefully as it should. At the default window size for the game everything looks pin-sharp. While 3D graphics seem to improve slightly when scaling higher (hard to gauge, given how uniform many wall textures are), the HUD becomes noticeably blurry, as it it wasn’t designed to be rendered at any higher than 1280 x 720.

The most frustrating thing, when all is said and done, is that Hyakki Castle isn’t a badgame. It’s just a hollow imitation of a great one, and no matter how many monsters you dress up in traditional Japanese garb, it’s impossible to hide the fact that this is held back by a litany of individually tiny sins that collectively weigh the whole thing down. Grimrock was dungeon crawling comfort food. Simple, satisfying, vertical and easy to binge on, like a tube of Pringles. Hyakki Castle feels like a generic alternative. It’ll fill the gap for a while, but once you pop, stopping might be easier than you’d hope.

Hyakki Castle is out now on Windows for £19.49/$25/€23 via Steam.

Is there a jap that yells "YYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" ever in the in the BGM? If there isn't, they're not getting a single penny from me.
edit: No sale if no

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Alright I finished it, here's some updated impressions:

Took a little shy of 12 hours to finish.

Pros:
- Nice use of the feudal japan setting. It looks nice, the enemy designs are great, the music during the boss fights is fantastic, everything about this aspect is great.
- The dungeon design is solid. There is nice balance of exploration and combat, it never felt grindy.

Cons:
- The save system. You can only save at a specific point on each map (usually right at the start). So every time you want to save you have to backtrack through an empty dungeon. Enemies don't respawn (outside of specific areas) so there is literally 0 risk vs reward to using the save points, it's just do you feel like taking 10 minutes trudging back and forth through the dungeon to save and get back to where you were. If there was some risk involved with travelling back, then the system might make sense, but as it is it just adds a fuckton of tedium to the game.
- This kind of couples onto the save system, but there are tons of ways for your whole party to instantly die, which then results in you having to redo a bunch of gameplay because of the save system.
- Class balance is poor. I had one of each class. The samurai was great, he had decent health and did tons of damage. The mage class also does very nice damage and can heal. The ninja for some reason does similar to less damage then the Samurai but is made of paper mache. The Sohei (aka tank) can draw "agro" but 80% of the attacks in the game *hit your whole party* making agro management utterly useless. Since he's supposed to tank his damage output is absolutely abyssmal making him a completely useless class. At this point, the most efficient team for this game would be 3 samurais and a caster. Also something silly, the mage can get a ressurection spell but since most attacks hit everyone (including the mage) and the mage has the lowest health, anytime someone dies it's 99% sure the mage is dead too rendering the spell completely useless, which given it's 20 skill point cost is insane.
- Party splitting is completely wasted. This is the games big defining gimmick and it's completely pointless. I never once used in it combat, since enemies hit so hard having even half your party stand still is suicide, you need to be constantly dodging. Other then that the puzzles involving it were incredibly simple. Generally it's either a pressure plate by a door, hold the plate with 1 group, run the other group through to another pressure plate on the other side, then group 1 comes through, or it's just a door with 2 pressure plates. They could have done *so much* more with this mechanic. You could remove it from the game entirely and nothing would be lost.
- The end boss is pretty ridiculous. I won't get into specifics beyond he has 4 different attacks that all have the same wind up animation/sound but have to be dodged differently. Really bad design here.
- The UI is a mess. Why does it constantly auto hide the character panels? More importantly *WHY DOES IT AUTO HIDE THEM IN THE MIDDLE OF COMBAT!?!?* Moving items around is fiddly as well with the mouse. Also you can't free look with mouse and keyboard, only with a gamepad right stick?
- Load times are crazy long. I installed this on my SSD and it often would take over a minute to load a level.
- Screen resolution is locked to 720p? Come on.

So yea all in all I didn't hate the game, but there a lot of issues, some of which could be patched, some are core to the design. I would only recommend this to the most hardcore of dungeon crawling fans who've played everything else. For anyone else I could recommend a bunch of better crawlers to play instead.

Played this a little bit, but its really not good, pretty much everything Sinatar wrote is on point. Especially the UI, even in its current 2.0 version of the game, is still terrible. Really strange how you can so badly mis-design something so simple and something games 20 years older managed much better

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom