Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Diablo III Blizzard's best modern game and why? Discuss!!!!

Revenant

That's because the Codex doesn't care about Blizzard. And it's no surprise, as the only good modern Blizzard game is Diablo III for which there will be no announcements this Blizzcon.

Nathir

Liturgist
Believe it or not, they fixed the game over the years. I was very skeptical myself until I got to playing it.

I disagree.

Just to elaborate on this. I didn't play D3 for more than 50 hours or so, and never got the expansion. Why I disagreed is because D3 is fundamentally flawed and I can't even consider it as a true Diablo game. The story, atmosphere, inventory is all wrong. Everything feels off. D1 and D2 were single player games about killing demons. Their main appeal was the overall aesthetic, the atmosphere and the ''feel'' of the game. D3 doesn't have any of that. D3 is fundamentally a single player game about a loot treadmill. You play to get constant new items that have an additional +x to stats, so you get more damage and survivability and play against stronger monsters. There is no end to it, since the monsters always scale.

Revenant

never got the expansion.
In that case, you are hardly qualified to criticize the game, because the expansion reworked the entire way the game works, via the adventure mode. In it, the main story is completely absent and each area's story is told in a totally unintrusive way, through rare talking head pop-ups.

Why I disagreed is because D3 is fundamentally flawed and I can't even consider it as a true Diablo game. The story, atmosphere, inventory is all wrong. Everything feels off.
Who the hell plays Diablo games for the story? Regarding atmosphere, the consensus is IMO that Diablo II already didn't have the atmosphere of the original game, and some areas of Diablo III are very atmospheric (at least not less atmospheric than the bland grass plains of Act I of Diablo II). How is the inventory wrong? I'm getting major autistic vibes here from people who think inventory tetris was somehow important to the game. Diablo III actually has more equipment slots than Diablo II, because you can store three legendary powers in Kanai's cube.

D1 and D2 were single player games about killing demons.
Diablo III can (and IMO even should, considering how degenerate the multiplayer meta of the game is) be played as a single player game about killing demons.

Their main appeal was the overall aesthetic, the atmosphere and the ''feel'' of the game.
We have already discussed the atmosphere part, but Diablo III feels exactly like a Diablo game should - it's a fast paced, brutal massacre of large groups of monsters while grinding loot in the process.

D3 is fundamentally a single player game about a loot treadmill. You play to get constant new items that have an additional +x to stats, so you get more damage and survivability and play against stronger monsters.
And Diablo II was different how in this regard?

There is no end to it, since the monsters always scale.
Heh, so you prefer a non-existing endgame of Diablo II doing endless Hell Baal runs instead of a proper, scaling, infinite competitive endgame of Diablo III's greater rifts? Interesting point.

Nathir

Liturgist
In that case, you are hardly qualified to criticize the game.

Maybe that's true.

Who the hell plays Diablo games for the story? Regarding atmosphere, the consensus is IMO that Diablo II already didn't have the atmosphere of the original game, and some areas of Diablo III are very atmospheric (at least not less atmospheric than the bland grass plains of Act I of Diablo II). How is the inventory wrong? I'm getting major autistic vibes here from people who think inventory tetris was somehow important to the game. Diablo III actually has more equipment slots than Diablo II, because you can store three legendary powers in Kanai's cube.

It's not about playing the game for the story. It's about how the story in D3 was intrusive, and just plain bad. The lack of story and teliing it through the world was one of the narrative strenghts of the older games. Farnham or Marius > anything in D3. Diablo and the prime evils were scary. In D3 they treat you as an equal and have discussions with you about their plans. Not to mention the constant ''you will die'' or ''you can't stop me'' taunting. In D3 everything is in your face, tons of uninteresting characters who only spout exposition or tell you how awesome and special you are (muh nephilim). Blizzard clearly went out of their way for this kind of storytelling and it's just bad. It ruins everything even atmosphere, which you claim the game to be very atmospheric but it isn't. You are never immersed in the world. Then we have the bright saturated colors and cartoony WoW artstyle, instead of a more gritty and dark style. For example I remember some cultists in a town having casting animations directly from WoW, a lot of gear looked like it came from WoW, you go to heaven and it looks like Silvermoon city with a blue tint. Not to mention no memorable OST. Go listen to Harrogath or Lut Gholein soundtrack its fucking amazing. Not even sure why I am explaining these things, as they are obvious to anyone who played all three games.

As for inventory I didn't mean storage space. In fact I always use mods so I have unlimited space in D2 and wouldn't mind for the stash to have unlimited pages. The items in previous games have a sense of proportion, and usually cool artwork and design. And they look functional. D3 has a tiny picture, with no sense of proportions and half the time it looks like WoW gear. I'd draw them better tbh. Or atleast better in what I consider to be Diablo-like.

Diablo III can (and IMO even should, considering how degenerate the multiplayer meta of the game is) be played as a single player game about killing demons.

Of course. I'm talking about how it was designed, not how it's played. D1 and D2 was a bunch of dudes having cool ideas for a demon slaying game. D3 was a bunch of suits having ideas how to best design an neverending threadmill to hook players and monetize it through the auction house.

We have already discussed the atmosphere part, but Diablo III feels exactly like a Diablo game should - it's a fast paced, brutal massacre of large groups of monsters while grinding loot in the process.

Yeah, and The Room is a thrilling drama/dark comedy movie with the best acting in decades. Again look at my first point. Also compare some monster designs and monster death animations between games. There is nothing brutal about D3. It's brightly colored blood in a brightly colored, saturated, particle mess. Compare the secret levels between each other.

And Diablo II was different how in this regard?

It wasn't designed from the ground up to be that. And you had multiple ways of playing the game. Each character had multiple builds for fun. For example throw bard or poison dagger necro were trash, but you still had the option to play the game this way and finish it. Most classes had atleast two distinctive ''viable'' builds that palyed somewhat differently. In D3 you don't have this since every weapon is the same. The only thing that matters is the dmg number. Now I'm not saying D2 was some kind of oncredibly deep and complex system but iwas fun and it was enough. D3 is even less than that. Another thing is, you could finish single player with any character and any build in D2 if you wanted. The way the game worked is that a a monster didn't hit you if you were away even if it already attacked. You could effectively kite. Thus it turned into a frantic expereince, trying not to get hit while whittling the enemy down, and eventually you could do it. In D3 if an enemy attacks you still get hit even if you are at the other side of the map. Kiting is much more difficult if not impossible. You stand there and your numbers are either high enough or not. If yes you kill the enemy, if not the enemy kills you. Now you can go to the AH to buy better gear or grind. Otherwise you can't progress. For someone not playing D2 or D1 as an neverending threadmill for bigger numbers it had options and variety. Engaging gameplay and immersive setting. D3 has none of these, only the threadmill.

Heh, so you prefer a non-existing endgame of Diablo II doing endless Hell Baal runs instead of a proper, scaling, infinite competitive endgame of Diablo III's greater rifts? Interesting point.

What? They are both the same.

Lagi

Savant
Diablo 3 is still a game where you can go AFK during being "disturbed" by monster, come back and finish sandwich in front of computer?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Diablo 3 is still a game where you can go AFK during being "disturbed" by monster, come back and finish sandwich in front of computer?

not unless you're intentionally playing on a kiddie difficulty.

I dunno if D3 is blizzard's best game, IMO it's a tie between it and Starcraft 2 (I play both regularly). SC2 gets better support though, even if they do milk people with all those co-op commanders

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I remember Diablo III as a meh game at launch. A game when I completed I just felt like that, meh. I felt it was a extremely inconsequential experience for a game that has been so long in developement, that was so expected to be great. Lack of depth and the auction house has great guilts in that aspect. Since then, Blissar has tried to make D3 into a better, more enjoyable, more memorable experience than at launch. Thanks to the free patches, and Reaper of souls. Currently, I consider it as a good game. But still, I felt there's some missing. Don't gonna fall into the "muh graphics" or "muh feels" from Diablo 2. But I think the game still lacking somehting to making it truly unique. I thinkl the game should have another expansion for it, unfortunately Blissar thinks the opposite. I don't think it is the greatest game ever created by Blissar, but at least nowadays is one of them you'll not feel shame of playing of.

Finishing the answer, the best current game of Blizzard is Overwatch, for a lot of reasons. Thing is how much will it last until his got fucked due the petitions of their retarded an toxic community.

Diablo 3 holds the distinct honour of being the only game that made me fall asleep while playing it - and this was while leveling through the Reaper of Souls content.

No, they've never 'fixed' it. I played before and after the expansion, and the game's problems are too deeply rooted for it to be fixable. They've made it more 'rewarding' in a sense, if you're into the whole skinner box/Pavlovian positive reinforcement thing, but the game is systematically poor and treats the player like a mongoloid at all times. It's just not as insultingly bad as it was before, with egregious things that backfired spectacularly such as the RMAH, but I'm sure the shills at ActiBlizzard will make sure to give that a new coat of paint and even shittier things will be an easy sell in the inevitable sequel. They've got that stuff down pat with the loot box perfecting minigame that was Overwatch.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rift grinding is boring. And that's all there is to the game. They've completely undercut their campaign. Adventure mode was a good idea but rifts was a terrible one. Never mind the way they do sets now completely fucks over interesting itemization. Everything scales to such a ludicrous degree that equipping five to six pieces of your class set is mandatory. Precludes the use of a lot of fun items. And since talents/builds are equally as boring there is no fun to be had in experimenting with talents. Torchlight 2 had a better talent system.

But to say D3 is Blizzard's 'best' modern game isn't saying much. The competition is WoW, HoTS, Overwatch, Hearthstone, and I guess SC2 if you want to go back a few years. SC2 is probably better even though I'm not a fan of modern RTS games.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Rift grinding is boring. And that's all there is to the game. They've completely undercut their campaign. Adventure mode was a good idea but rifts was a terrible one. Never mind the way they do sets now completely fucks over interesting itemization. Everything scales to such a ludicrous degree that equipping five to six pieces of your class set is mandatory. Precludes the use of a lot of fun items. And since talents/builds are equally as boring there is no fun to be had in experimenting with talents. Torchlight 2 had a better talent system.

You can use Legacy of Nightmares rings which gives lots of damage/DR for NOT using any other sets and just use whatever skills you want. Although with the most recent patch that buffed up older shitty sets it's not as good anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
LoN builds are fairly niche and also require you to have a good amount of Ancient legendaries for the damage boost... so that's more farming on top of the normal farming.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
LoN builds are not "fairly niche" it's specifically designed so you can use whatever the fuck you want. If you don't just want an effective build but the best of the best, it's no different from any other arpg where some skills are better than others.

Revenant

Finishing the answer, the best current game of Blizzard is Overwatch, for a lot of reasons. Thing is how much will it last until his got fucked due the petitions of their retarded an toxic community.
Overwatch is shit. A casual FPS/MOBA hybrid without strafe jumping or any other movement skills whatsoever and huge hitboxes. Not to mention the revolting artstyle.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I wanted to like overwatch but it feels too plastic, like most other fpss with no blood/gore usually do.

DeusX1

Educated
There is no such thing as a "Good Diablo".

Diablo gameplay: click click click click click click
Diablo 1 have atmosphere.

Well, I guess. I remember when I was young my dad gave me a cd that had the diablo 1 demo. I remember it being dark and scary, also I was fascinated with skeleton creatures, so I was blown away a little. But that does make it a good game? I dont think so, memorable yes, but good neah.

Diablo 1 & 2 were very popular games, I won't deny it, but for me the gameplay was repetitive and boring. I think you either love diablo or find it extremely boring.

Lagi

Savant

I have make key switch that constantly click LMB. After that i just hover mouse over target to go/kill while holding shift.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Diablo 1 have atmosphere.

Well, I guess. I remember when I was young my dad gave me a cd that had the diablo 1 demo. I remember it being dark and scary, also I was fascinated with skeleton creatures, so I was blown away a little. But that does make it a good game? I dont think so, memorable yes, but good neah.

Diablo 1 & 2 were very popular games, I won't deny it, but for me the gameplay was repetitive and boring. I think you either love diablo or find it extremely boring.
It is a good game,it is not a good rpg. The game invented a whole genre and shaped the gaming industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom