Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Diablo III Blizzard's best modern game and why? Discuss!!!!

DeusX1

Educated
There is no such thing as a "Good Diablo".

Diablo gameplay: click click click click click click
Diablo 1 have atmosphere.

Well, I guess. I remember when I was young my dad gave me a cd that had the diablo 1 demo. I remember it being dark and scary, also I was fascinated with skeleton creatures, so I was blown away a little. But that does make it a good game? I dont think so, memorable yes, but good neah.

Diablo 1 & 2 were very popular games, I won't deny it, but for me the gameplay was repetitive and boring. I think you either love diablo or find it extremely boring.
It is a good game,it is not a good rpg. The game invented a whole genre and shaped the gaming industry.

I won't deny that it had atmosphere, that is influential, also is a important part of pc gaming history.

But the gameplay is boring and repetetive and so are the levels. I just don't get the appeal.

Revenant

Why would you want to play Diablo III offline? That way you couldn't compete in the leaderboards.

On the contrary, I think Diablo 3 is the worst game Blizzard have ever created.
It might have been the worst game Blizzard had ever created, however it's Blizzard's best and only good game currently.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Finishing the answer, the best current game of Blizzard is Overwatch, for a lot of reasons. Thing is how much will it last until his got fucked due the petitions of their retarded an toxic community.
Overwatch is shit. A casual FPS/MOBA hybrid without strafe jumping or any other movement skills whatsoever and huge hitboxes. Not to mention the revolting artstyle.

Appraising any FPS under Arena shooters standards, amirite? :deathclaw:

MOBA? Because dps, tank and healers roles appeared with Warcraft III mods like LoL and Dota 2, right? They didn't existed in any other game before like, I don't know, MMOs like World or warcraft. With things like protecting a objective, or taking a point. They never existed in any game before. They all came with MOBAs.:M Movement skills are related to each character of the game, the skills required to use each of them are different. Tracer requieres to be played fast in horizontal, using it's space shifts and time travel properly, Genji and Pharah are meant to to take advantage of vertical movvement thanks to the jumps and the jetpack. Characters like Widowmaker request pure aiming skills, etc. Huge hitboxes? Well, that's true. There's some big hurtboxes in the game. Because characters like the tanks exist in the game, you know, 2 meters tall bitches with huge hp bloats. Each type of character has it's own hitbox. The smallers ones belongs to the weakest characters, and the biggest to the strongest. Casual? It's inf fact a very approachable game for beginners, but there's a high skill ceiling to improve. Using Tracer is easy. Using Tracer properly (Running through the enemy team for taking down weak enemies like medics and some dps) is not.

Finally about the artstyle... Is a thing of preference. I guess a cartoon/goofy graphic style cannot be appreciated by gritty, dark, edgy diablo II styles fags. :dance:

You can't play Diablo 3 offline. Therefore it doesn't exist.

You can play it offfline in consoles though. Which is fuckin decline, the PC version has an unjustifiable DRM since the released those versions.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can play it offfline in consoles though. Which is fuckin decline, the PC version has an unjustifiable DRM since the released those versions.

Last i checked (which was a few months ago but still years after release) d3 still hasn't been pirated properly so the DRM was justifiable after all. :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Last i checked (which was a few months ago but still years after release) d3 still hasn't been pirated properly so the DRM was justifiable after all. :smug:
It is not pirated,because people don't care about it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
giphy.gif

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It might have been the worst game Blizzard had ever created, however it's Blizzard's best and only good game currently.

Diablo II is still sold and maintained by Blizzard to this day, so you're most definitely wrong.

Kitchen Utensil

Well, even if it is Blizzard's best "modern" game, all that shows is how full of shit that company has become.

Revenant

Apparently, they changed the store layout just in time for your argument to be valid. Nice timing. Even so, Diablo III is a better game than Diablo II so my point still stands.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I generally think that Blizzard does offer *solid* experiences for the most part, but they're also quite geared towards certain features from the ground up and aimed at rather specific audiences.

SC2's single player - mechanically - was generally fantastic. It's nice to have a nicely polished RTS with a tough Brutal difficulty level and a pretty huge skill floor to enter and a near infinite one to hone. The story had some promise but declined sharply with HotS, but I still appreciated the mission variety regardless of the rest of it, and some scenes were carried by their "cinematic" value, as is often the case with Blizzard stories (though some SC2 cutscenes were also pretty bad). It was also nice of Blizzard to reintroduce Brood War and give it some additional support, even though the implementation of that has been sketchy. Still, I enjoy listening to Tastosis while looking at the refreshed graphics during ASL. Blizzard has also generally been pretty generous with WC3 recently, having introduced a patch to give the mapmakers some quality of life improvements - and I doubt they get much revenue from WC3 anymore. Also, a lot of SC2's downfall came from utter neglect of Arcade modes (or outright mishandling those, as was the case a long while ago with their "sponsored Arcade maps" thing) and being horribly inaccessible, with the ridiculous 60$ pricing for three expansion packs and believing they will get most of their revenue by hyping up the game as an e-sport. Still, despite all of that, SC2 is pretty satisfying to be good at, just like its precedessor.

Diablo 3's launch was quite a travesty and there had been a lot of stuff to complain about, and I do agree that the Diablo 1/2 experience was way easier to customize for the purposes of a player who doesn't necessarily look for a loot treadmill. However, with RoS, the game genuinely looks, works and plays better, and it does fill up a certain, very arcade-ish niche. I can't get into Path of Exile at all in spite of it supposedly being perfect for D2 veterans, because PoE just feels extremely slow and the mood it's trying to set up doesn't give me the same vibe as D1/D2, as hard as it tries. Not denying PoE is a pretty superb game though. Still, D3 seems to have decided to go for the niche of just full-on arcade'ing and attempted to embrace the vocal portion of the fanbase that lived for the loot addiction. It also looks like a pretty good game to pick up and play in short bursts.

WoW seems to continue the trail set by the expansion packs and all of the content that's worth doing is in the end-game. Levelling a character is boring as fuck and even though the post-Cata early instances look like they have much more to do than tank'n'spank, it is kind of a white noise outside of that. I'm not too certain about what Legion's late game looks like and I'm sure someone could educate me as to whether WoW's mythic raids are shit or a fun challenge. Nevertheless, Blizzard seems very intent on focusing on the content that is most "current". It's problematic for those who are starting off or like levelling alts for sure, but if we assume WoW has been about end-game content since the last few expansions, you could argue Blizzard isn't doing badly there.

I like OW. It does have quite a surprising amount of depth to it, and there's plenty of characters that are challenging to play. I generally enjoy it because it's a fairly fresh experience depending on team compositions - running around as Rocket Launcher Lady or CoD Guy has some unique, fun elements to it when put in the context of a game full of tanks with barriers, Pudge-like hooks and whatnot - and the gameplay is generally good at constantly giving you something to do. I keep it installed alongside UT'99 for some fast-paced instagibs and what not, and I generally think it's a nice game, colourful, enjoyable to look at, satisfying to play, good for both dicking around and for furthering your skillset.

Though I don't care for lootboxes much - skins and whatnot are a nice bonus, but not something I actively strive towards - and I'm not particularly happy about the trend to include them, but I assume it's simply the climate of businesses trying to maximize their earnings. Ever since the days of Oblivion's horse armor and Fat Gaben confirming players are willing to spend lots of dollars on cosmetic items ("just to help support my favourite devs" or whatever your poison is), it seems like it's too late to do much about it now.

So yeah, Actiblizz? Pretty crummy company. What is their best modern game? Hard to say (I'd probably vote SC2), and it's very reasonable to say that their quality harshly declined with time. But, well, I guess I'd still rather give my trust to Blizzard than Bethesda, Ubisoft, Bioware and a handful of other companies. It's very limited and I generally look into their games with a grain of salt and don't purchase any of the "bonus" content - and in fact ceased any activity on Hearthstone after realizing going F2P is too much effort, but they're not that bad for an AAA fix.

abija

Prophet

It's justifiable if cost of drm < gained sales, pretty sure you have no data to estimate that.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

It's justifiable if cost of drm < gained sales, pretty sure you have no data to estimate that.

steam is raping GOG's corpse for a reason. people who will absolutely refuse to play any game with DRM are very, very few and generally not worth catering to unless you're an indie dev. there's a reason why AAA devs are usually the biggest drm offenders and it's not because of their lack of marketing data. people like me who might pirate shit but will buy a game if we can't get it for free (or it's cheap enough) are far more numerous and blizzard has tailored their marketing towards us.

abija

Prophet
You forget sc2 was pirated and still sold very well. MP and some online only stuff (like D2 had) would have covered most of current sales.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is no such thing as a "Good Diablo".

Diablo gameplay: click click click click click click
Diablo 1 have atmosphere.

Well, I guess. I remember when I was young my dad gave me a cd that had the diablo 1 demo. I remember it being dark and scary, also I was fascinated with skeleton creatures, so I was blown away a little. But that does make it a good game? I dont think so, memorable yes, but good neah.

Diablo 1 & 2 were very popular games, I won't deny it, but for me the gameplay was repetitive and boring. I think you either love diablo or find it extremely boring.
It is a good game,it is not a good rpg. The game invented a whole genre and shaped the gaming industry.

I won't deny that it had atmosphere, that is influential, also is a important part of pc gaming history.

But the gameplay is boring and repetetive and so are the levels. I just don't get the appeal.
You just described the whole genre mate. Also the level design is boring and repetitive when you look at it now. But when it came out,wasn't that. In 1996 the level design was oozing atmosphere. Also from what i remember the game was hard,only bad thing that i remembers was the slow moving speed.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
The level design of Diablo 1 is actually pretty damn fun as evidenced by the rich niche of Ironman players. The game's dungeon design throws numerous chokepoints at you, forces strategic decisions like making use of random doodads or even unbroken barrels to funnel enemies towards you, the enemy AI can be split up for easier pickings which also makes for engaging gameplay. All of this is enhanced if you're playing Ironman and you have to scramble for every single resource you find, and every member of your party (if you have one) has a special niche, and even Sorcerer doesn't outscale everyone else. And there's plenty of playstyle variation if you're playing self-found; your Warrior can rely on a lot of magic use to help corner difficult shooters with a penchant for kiting, your Rogue has solid scaling with all stats and can pick up various roles including semi-spellcaster or melee fighter (where her massive dexterity makes her actually very consistent at hitting stuff). All of the various intrinsics on items can come to your great help, and there's a lot of benefit from item switching on the fly.

I think D2 benefits from a lot of the above features, too, though differently. D1 is more of a slow, calculated game, with the possible exception being an advanced Sorcerer; in D2, you could say most builds are spellcasters. It's just that Barbarian is a martial-flavored melee one, but when he whirlwinds into combat, it doesn't exactly remind you of the Warrior play from D1. Some builds can emulate that old style (i.e. berserker barb with a healthy dose of War Cry), but still. Anyhow, in D2 things generally die much faster - but you also need to keep your smarts about you instead of waltzing in without pardon, unless your gear vastly outscales the enemy's - or you can get dogpiled and lose, especially with some nastier boss intrinsics. There's quite a few mechanics you have to keep in mind, like being in run-mode essentially decimating your defense, which can mean life or death in an encounter like Hell Coldcrow.

The only time in D1 where I could get anywhere close to the D2 feeling of stopping entire hordes was on a fully outfitted PvP Warrior (Poland still had a scene well into mid-00s) who would once waltz into a horde of Blood Knights and take them out one by one. It still took him an entire full belt of healing potions (which worked like D2's full rejuvs, but for healing only) to take that encounter down, and he kept being stunlocked / blocklocked, so it was and looked chancy.

If you can't guess I find Diablo 1/2 to be a pretty exciting and nuanced game.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
D2 is pretty fun when you're playing with friends and levelling together, but going at it with masses of the people that you won't ever talk to lead by a Hammerdin bot ninjaing any and all loot from Baalruns is not so fun.

At least single player has no lag (useful for hardcore mode) and lets you save instances so that you can be even more efficient at rerunning Countess/Andy/Meph/whatever. It's servicable, really. Extended stashes, TCP/IP compatibility for when you do find some friends and being able to test out any build by just hacking items onto a blank canvas is nice.

They should open up ladder runewords to single/LAN in the next patch, because classic battle.net for Diablo 2 is kind of an unplayable middle-man right now. Back in the past though? I don't remember the connectivity being anywhere near as bad as it is now and I live in Australia where we don't even have internet infrastructure and have to astral project our egos onto the web.

edit: I'm aware of the workarounds you can do to get the ladder words in SP, by the way. I just think it should be more "officially supported."

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Everything feels off. D1 and D2 were single player games about killing demons.
Your Diablo 2 experience must have been pretty awful if you only played single player.

vanilla diablo 2 is pretty much pointless in single player. the drop rates are atrocious, it'll take ages just to get decent uniques and you can pretty much forget about most endgame rune words. even people like me who played 99% alone played on blizzard's servers so we could trade/beg for items

Nathir

Liturgist
Your Diablo 2 experience must have been pretty awful if you only played single player.

I did play multiplayer, but prefered sp, and when I revisit the game every now and then I play sp. That's not to say mp wasn't fun, it was, but I just wasn't a big fan of joining a room, getting boosted really fast by people who mowed down everything and then standing in Baal room waiting for sorcs and palas to kill stuff instantly and holding down alt to snatch anything worthwhile that I could. I got bored pretty quickly. Not to mention random people dropping the best gear and runes randomly on the ground (dupes), it felt like everyone had access to everything. PvP was incredibly fun though, even if I kept losing. Speaking of PvP D3 didn't even have that (does it now?).

vanilla diablo 2 is pretty much pointless in single player. the drop rates are atrocious, it'll take ages just to get decent uniques and you can pretty much forget about most endgame rune words. even people like me who played 99% alone played on blizzard's servers so we could trade/beg for items

Ahh, sp was pointless because of ''drop rates''. You couldn't get decent uniques and endgame rune words?? The horror. Did you even read my previous posts? D2 was way more than just getting better and better loot. No wonder you like D3 since the loot threadmill never ends. You probably think D3 got ''fixed'' over time, because it's easier to get legendaries. I bet you were one of those people complaining how Black Temple is too hard and as a paying customer you need to obtain Warglaives otherwise the game sucks and you'll unsub, lmao.

I played it only in single player/LAN, using "/players 8" command mostly back in the day. It was one of my most played games then. I ended up using unlimited storage tool to store collect all them rare items found with countless characters I made. Metagamed the shit out of it. Not sure how much less pointless this waste of time would've been on bnet, but I had lots of great fun with it. Would most likely return to it if they released remaster like SC1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom