Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview GameSpot explores the depths of Sacred 2

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Sacred 2

<a href="http://au.gamespot.com/pc/action/sacred2fallenangel/news.html?sid=6192175&mode=previews">Sacred 2 has big monsters, lots of monsters in general and Energon Cubes</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Sacred 2: Fallen Angel is big. If you were to walk from one end of Ancaria to the other, without stopping to collect gold, talk to villagers, or slay pesky goblins, it would take six hours. There are 22 square miles of forest, desert, tundra, volcano, swamp, and island to explore, and that's not even counting the vast network of underground dungeons inhabited by giant monsters that fill your entire screen. Yes, size is important to publisher CDV, as it looks to create an action role-playing game so massive that it will break free of its PC roots and entice console players to get in on the hack-and-slash action made famous by Diablo.
<br>
<br>
Set to be released later this year on the PC and Xbox 360 with the possibility of another "major console," said CDV, Sacred 2 takes place 2,000 years before the original Sacred. Although there are six playable classes and hundreds of different quests, the basic story is this: Angelic seraphim have been charged with watching over the ancient land of Ancaria. Pleased by the progress of the ancient elves, the seraphim decided to share their secrets of T-energy with the elves. T-energy is the source of all life; it binds us and penetrates us...you know the deal. In a selfish bid to collect all of the T-energy, a faction of elves shattered the harmonious balance of life in Ancaria. Naturally the seraphim that decided to share the T-energy with these greedy elves is in a spot of trouble, and the angelic creature is dispatched from the heavens to right what was wronged. Fallen angel...get it?</blockquote>
<br>
Super.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</a>

Shannow

Waster of Time
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
22^2 + 22^2 = 968

sqr 968 = 31.1

1 mile = 1.6 kilometres

31.1 miles * 1.6 = 49.8 kilometres

49.8 / 6 = 8.3 kilometres/hour

average walking speed is about 4 to 5 km/h
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking

So movement is about twice as fast as the average walking speed. Taking "natural" obstacles like mountains, rivers, etc into account I'd say the speed is quite fast.

LOL

Suchy

Arcane
933200_20080609_embed001.jpg

Chainmail bikini and particle fury... A no.
Story sounds generic to the max.

The game my still be saved by good writing and quests. Hanven't played Sacred 1, so I have no idea what to expect in this field.

Texas Red

Whiner
Does this game have any new features aside from the 3Dness?

Its funny. The Witcher, being a true RPG of sorts, is the first RPG to have a new combat system :roll:.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How is a game where your stats do not matter in dialogue and where you can not create a character, or at the very least, give him stats that matter, a "true RPG"? Explain. I'm serious, explain it to me. And please don't say "PS:T has a pre-created character too" because in PS:T, while the character is set, I can still develop his personality as I like, and that includes his stats, that actually influence the game and its outcome.

The Witcher has no such influence of stats, hence it is not a "True RPG". It's a dating sim with combat.

The scars on my soul from the first Sacred have not yet faded. Avoid at all cost, if its anything like the original it will rape your mind, and not in a good way.

There were some people that liked it , I don't know why. Its flaws were massive and immediately apparent, its almost exactly like grinding in an MMORPG except its single player. Some people get sucked in to that mindless repetitive play, there wasn't even any decent combat depth. At one stage I remember getting an item that caused all lower level creatures to die in your presence. I was walking through the countryside committing genocide without even touching anything, at that point I threw the game away.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sacred was a wet dream for autists. Grinding, grinding and grinding with some grinding to booth. Dunno why some people liked it, to me it was just a pile of rsi inducing boredom.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:
How is a game where your stats do not matter in dialogue and where you can not create a character, or at the very least, give him stats that matter, a "true RPG"? Explain. I'm serious, explain it to me. And please don't say "PS:T has a pre-created character too" because in PS:T, while the character is set, I can still develop his personality as I like, and that includes his stats, that actually influence the game and its outcome.

The Witcher has no such influence of stats, hence it is not a "True RPG". It's a dating sim with combat.

Obviously you haven't played the game(I know because of your dumbfuckery claims and that you simply can't run it). You can choose several different stances on issues. For example, you may choose Geralt to believe that all monsters should be killed no matter how much they benefit the society, because they will always remain a threat. Of course I agree that it would have been better to have the opportunity to create your own character but having a preconceived protagonists gives some pluses. You will actually have "friends" and "lovers" from the books with a lot of history and their personalities are only empowered because of Geralt's own.

And by "true RPG" I meant that there is focus on story, the setting and characters. You don't go mad clicking on things to slash them. Combat is actually interesting because of few innovations but you don't fight hordes of monsters and at some places it is quite rare.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, now listen to me, my friend.

First of all- these different stances you take- they do not depend on your stats, do they now? They're more like in an action-adventure- you can take any stance you like. None of it is dependent on any skills your character may have earned.

Focus on story, setting and characters - that sounds much like Final Fantasy.

Now I ask you ask again- what makes it an RPG?

It obviously is one, but let's make him work a little.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Sacred was very boring, the endless supplies of enemies you had to wade through to get anywhere make it unplayable for me.

So, based on that blurb the sequel will be the same thing in 3D and aimed towards the console masses. I hope it fails utterly.

Balor

Arcane
Shannow said:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
22^2 + 22^2 = 968

sqr 968 = 31.1

1 mile = 1.6 kilometres

31.1 miles * 1.6 = 49.8 kilometres

49.8 / 6 = 8.3 kilometres/hour

average walking speed is about 4 to 5 km/h
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking

So movement is about twice as fast as the average walking speed. Taking "natural" obstacles like mountains, rivers, etc into account I'd say the speed is quite fast.

LOL

He mention square miles, not ''dimensions'', hence EPIC FAIL AT MATH.

Just like Jaime Lannister said, even if it was 22х1 miles (resulting in 22 mile^2), and you had to travel it 'across'...
22 * 1,6 / 6 = 5,8 km/s. Therefore, it's just 'brisk walking speed', a bit above average.
However, it's quite unlikely. It's not Ringworld or something (I mean shape, not size, hah).

If we are to assume it's about square, then sqr(22) ~> 4,7 * 4,7.
4,7 * 1,6 / 6 = 1,25333...

Even assuming you have to circle around stuff, etc - 2 km/h at best. That is indeed very slow pace.

P.S. even if you had to travel it 'diagonally'...

sqr 22*2 = 6,6 miles

6,6 * 1,6 / 6 = 1,76 km/h. Viable if the protagonist is on the last stages of pregnancy, though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Witcher is action rpg. don't call a game with considerable amount of twitchy grinding a "true RPG". it isn't. it is an ARPG with a very properly done RP.

Balor

Arcane
Well, all this bullshit with ARPG, TROO RPG, Sandbox RPG confusion would not exist if devs would just show a 'pie chart' with sections like:

1. Hawt akshun!
2. Dialogues and reading in general
3. Exploration

Of course, you cannot put C&C in a pie chart, there should be a C&C meter from 1 to 5, where 1 - completely linear, 5 - extremely nonlinear with ass-biting consequences for your actions.
Well, I can dream, can I?

Texas Red

Whiner
skyway said:
The Witcher is action rpg. don't call a game with considerable amount of twitchy grinding a "true RPG". it isn't. it is an ARPG with a very properly done RP.

Except there is less combat than in most other true RPGs. And you probably used pause to assign commands.

Balor

Arcane
Shannow said:
Balor said:

Yep, you are completely right. I fucked up.

Damn, is that slow!

*movingawayquietlyflipflopping*

Yep. Well, no big deal. Never liked math myself, but one thing is certain - if we were taling about religions here - we'd never agree on anything, and end up calling each other dumbfucks, hah.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
skyway said:

Except there is less combat than in most other true RPGs.

if to speak about IE engine games - true.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Jasede said:

Stats do matter in The Witcher. It's not balanced, but neither is Arcanum. Doesn't mean Arcanum's not an RPG.

Sigh. Yet another complainer who didn't get past Act 1. Starting in Act 3, you can develop Geralt's personality, in fact, there's a major quest line about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom