Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MASSIVE drama on Elysium WoW server - corruption and staff revolt

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If this isn't proof that westerners have too much money they don't know what to do with I don't know what is.

Norfleet

I will never understand the mindset where people feel they MUST somehow spend the money they get on something. What's wrong with just hoarding it to invest in getting more money to hoard? It is a number! You make it get bigger! It doesn't need a reason or purpose: Getting bigger is the entire point of even having numbers! Surely every gamer understands this!

Lacrymas

Arcane
wtf donating to a private server

what is wrong with these ppl

Your sarcasm is noted, but it's misplaced. It's fine if they want to donate to a private server, but some of these amounts are ridiculous. 50 euro, 82 euro, 100 euro, 261 (!) euro.

Zetor

Arcane
Haven't you heard about the 'whale' phenomenon in microtrans games / cash shops? Relatively well-to-do people with decent disposable income (or people REALLY BAD at money management) blow way more money than that on cosmetic shit in games. Just look at the Star Citizen thread over yonder if you need some xxxtreem examples... and you don't need to be a 1%er or even 10%er to afford that (in the US / better Euro countries, ofc). edit: spending a crapton of money on vaporware vs spending a crapton of money on an illegal server that may be shut down in a few weeks, which is better and why???

Hell, someone spent $58k in the Guild Wars 2 gemstore over 3 years just to get some shiny armor/weapon skins... by his own admission he spends at least $200/week purely on cosmetics, and he's probably still not among the biggest whales for GW2. Compared to that, 261 euro as a one-time payment is weaksauce.

(something something fool money soon parted something something)

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lol i don't get the drama. People just want their Vanilla WoW. I don't think anyone gives a fuck how the people who run the server make their money as long as the server is running. Just keep running the server, make your chink bucks and shut the fuck up. Fuck, you could have the mafia itself run this shit and people still wouldn't give a crap. Just keep running the god damn server. :lol:

Lacrymas

Arcane
At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, if people want to spend their money this way, that's fine. It's their money. What I don't get now is the clamoring for vanilla WoW, lol. I did play vanilla on Kronos' second server and was a healer in the best guild on it horde side and saw almost all the raid content. I quit shortly after AQ came out because I got pissed off at the guild management, but that's another story, I got burned out waaaaay before that. What I did find out is that WoW is a really shallow game once you get down to it. The world is game-y and made with almost surgical precision to be just that, it gets you from point A to point B and it has no other ambitions. The raids are ridiculously easy and formulaic, the gameplay very quickly devolves into meter whoring and loot councils that reward such behavior. Too bad meter whoring involved repetitive actions like spamming flash heal and renew, but you also can't compete with geared druids who meter whore. It's bad, it's really, really bad and boring, and pointless, and gross.

The economy is truly fucked and dysfunctional. I did not grind at all for anything, I made all my money from the AH and quickly found out I don't have anything to spend my sizeable wealth on. Which also leads to only raid logging. At first it's fine, with people spending money on all sorts of crap to get geared up, but once that wears off the only money makers are alchemy and cooking. But by "money makers" I mean "really, really slow money makers if you don't get in on the flask market". You work with pitiful profits for anything that isn't flasks, the only way to make the real gold (which is worthless) is to have hoarded all the lotuses you can before the prices explode when BWL comes out. Then the inflation starts...

I never really got the social aspect, even when playing on the official servers, but that's maybe a quirk I have. The point is that the social aspect can't keep me going and I think that's where I start "not getting why people are clamoring for vanilla", at the end that is the ONLY thing that keeps you coming back, the game is just too shallow and uninteresting to keep you hooked on its own. WoW is dead to me at this point, I managed to see the stitches that supposedly hold everything together, but in reality have already burst.

I managed to see the stitches that supposedly hold everything together, but in reality have already burst.
133168-stitches-stitches.jpg

Quatlo

Arcane
I remember when I played with my cousin and a lot of internet-found bros at some Lineage 2 private server a long time ago, the way dying system in L2 worked you had a chance to drop random items from your inventory on death, and it was modified by your player killer score, the higher it was, the more items dropped etc. There was a donator system on the server, and you could pay retarded amount of money (around 200 bucks) to get your items enchanted up to +12, any higher was only achieveable through legit means so it wasnt THAT bad P2W but it was pretty bad, especially since item on level 40 enchanted to +12 was pretty much on the level of the best items in the game, and it was actually easier to just mass produce and hope to manage to enchant them to that high level without breaking them than to get that highest level item. Anyways, we made a level 1 character with a nickname resembling one of the most hated players on the server, we gave him really high level gear to look like a badass but because wearing items above your levels gives you HUGE penalties he was pretty much unable to move, so we were standing in place next to the teleport npc and just bullied people with glowing weapons (glow meant its highly enchanted, i.e probably donator, since we knew most legit good players)
Annoyed people would usually smack you once, which would flag you for pvp but if you only did it once it flagged you for such a short time that there was no time to kill you before the flag expired, and there was no chance for item drop from volountary (when both people flagged) pvp. But they were smacking a level 1 dude with around 300 hp while their single attack dealt thousands, so it was an instant kill, and they were getting a FUCKTON of PK points for killing a low level character.
Enter us, with several multiboxed necromancers. Necromancer had a spell called "anchor" which was like stun, but long range and pretty much locked you out of any character control, you couldnt even use the instant town portal scrolls. So there were those rich kids from weirdest countries in the world, saudi arabia, brazil, china, south africa, they saw us quickly chiping down HP of their pimped out pay 2 win characters, they usually tried to resort to their broken english and insult our mothers, but in the end they EXPLODED like pinatas with loot, literally every single item they had on them dropped, it was so much shit that once some dude managed to load back to town and teleport back naked in an effort to keep some of his items back, but we made macros that looted everything worthwhile first so we only had to pickup additional random loot by hand. In the end we ended up to be richest and most hated group on the server just on the merit of screwing with P2W guys.

Last edited:

Wulfstand

Prophet
Fuck man L2 was pretty good, I remember playing on one of the most popular p. servers out there (Dex I think it was called, it was a Romanian server with a huge international scene, well, as "huge" as a private Lineage 2 server could muster), and it had zero donations. From C4 up till Interlude there were some GREAT memories to be had. The amount of drama that game mustered, how interactive and social its community was, how most people knew of the server's big names, all of that seems to have been lost in a certain way in MMOs atm.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Anyone know a WoW emulator server that is reliable and not likely to be shut down? I don't need thousands of players and don't want any drama. Just some quiet server somewhere with enough players to group with? I would play the real thing but I only like to multibox and I don't want to buy 5 copies of WoW, 5 subscriptions, and 5 expansions.

Currently doing this in Rift which is a lot of fun and is costing me nothing. But I read that WoW is better.

Zetor

Arcane
The entire pserver scene just looks like a hive of scum&villainy, even for post-vanilla expansions that have some clear 'best' options (vanilla emulation post-Nost is a total shitshow). Then there's the playerbase, mostly composed of freeloading edgelords with a few P2W whales sprinkled in there just so they can gank people with shadowmournes or whatever...

That said, there are some "stable" high-pop servers like warmane which will probably not get shut down ever. Well OK, maybe the site owner will get assassinated IRL after making a wrong deal with their local mafia.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks I'll check out warmane. The EQ Emu scene is so much better, I hope the WoW scene can get its shit together.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Isn't P1999 literally officially endorsed? That explains why it's so much better than WoW private servers. If Blizzard had endorsed Nostalrius the emulation landscape would have been vastly different. Not that I recommend playing WoW anymore, but it would have been interesting for those who still don't mind vanilla WoW's fundamental flaws.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Isn't P1999 literally officially endorsed? That explains why it's so much better than WoW private servers. If Blizzard had endorsed Nostalrius the emulation landscape would have been vastly different. Not that I recommend playing WoW anymore, but it would have been interesting for those who still don't mind vanilla WoW's fundamental flaws.

That would require Blizzard to be a non-jew company, which they will never be anymore. As for P1999, here's an official written statement that endorses P1999 as long as it's non-profit and doesn't step on EQ's toes:

“It’s been an exciting year for Project 1999 and we have some exciting news we’ve been really anxious to share with all of you. As some of you may be aware, in the past there has been both confusion and concern over the status of Project 1999. We have recently entered into a written agreement with Daybreak Game Company LLC that formally recognizes Project 1999 as a fan based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project. The agreement establishes the guidelines that we as a project must follow, but it will allow to us continue to update the game without risk of legal repercussions. As a show of good faith to support the efforts of Daybreak Games, we have decided to reschedule our expansion release as to not conflict with the upcoming new progression server being released in the coming weeks. We would like to personally thank all the folks at Daybreak and acknowledge how awesome it is for a company to work with and embrace the creations of their fans. This is really something that’s unique in the gaming industry.”

Pretty cool imo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I still don't understand why Blizzard are against legacy private servers. Aren't Daybreak also American? Which means the laws that affect Blizzard also affect them, so it doesn't have anything to do with "losing the rights to the IP due to the law".

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
P99 is scum too, not better than any WoW servers. Lots of RMT and shenanigans happening there. I think DBG only endorsed it because it has thousands of players and is likely more popular than any legitimate EQ servers. So shutting it down would have generated far too much ill will. With WoW they can squash a bunch of servers and piss off 10,000 people and it is nothing. If that was done to EQ it would be pissing off like 70% of their playerbase. It also only got officially endorsed more recently but was a good solid server for many years before that. They did a great job with the accuracy and quality of the content and the server itself, uptime, stability etc. It is really good. The only issue with p99 is the shenanigans. There are lots of other good EQ emulator servers though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom