Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you encourage a kid to become a real gamer?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Or should a good uncle try to guide and help?

Taking my example of the games I loved to play when I was 8-12 (and developed good taste). You have Majoras Mask, Ocarina of Time Master Quest, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Super Smash Bros Melee, Pokemon (best ones are Fire Red, Emerald and Soul Silver) and good Super Mario games (Bros. 1/3, Advance, World 1/2, Land 1/2, 64 and Sunshine). Then the ones that got me to PC gaming, Morrowind, Max Payne and Thief Gold. Portal 2 is also very good. I think these games are excellent to develop his mind and good taste while remaning fun.

Still dont forget he's a kid so don't try forcing him these shit or ideolagies and let him enjoy his childhood, while he as it, in his own way, making mistakes and learning from them.

10 is a bit young for GTA5 etc.
That's why you get him Vice City.

Please San Andreas is where it's all at. :obviously:

Also PC gaming is cheap, if you play golden oldies. No need for a GTX 1080 Ti.

Even if you intend to play modern ones. For 400$ you can make a desktop better than any console available.

Videogames are a complete waste of time for degenerates.

Then why did you signed up in forum that predominantly talks about videogames?

That's more like it, man

I would be really pissed if some day my dad did this to me. Specially because unlike these kids I paid my rig with the money I worked for in the summer, not my parents money.

Still this is gold.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I was wondering when the first dad will electrocute himself. You can at least unplug a TV before smashing it with a spanner, there may be children watching this.

Here at about 11:09, the dad says, "I am tired of fucking your mom." What exactly was he wanting his son to go help her with?

That only one is probably not staged and he probably wanted to say "I am tired of talking to your mom about this" and "FUK" at the same time, try it, it happens when you are enraged.

Kahr

I think it should be in the hands of the parents to either raise a well-socialized human being or an raging autist.
You see how your sibling cares about that fragile little plant and you feel the need to trample on it?
Let them alone for fucks sake!

Gregz

Arcane
He is outgoing, sporty, and good in school, and gaming is addictive and may fuck all that up.

Maybe it would be better to let him discover his own hobbies? Or should a good uncle try to guide and help?

It might be tempting to be the 'cool' uncle who shows him awesome RPG shiny, but if he's doing well now you should probably leave him alone. Gaming is a glorified drug addiction.

He'll probably have to spend the rest of his life glued to a screen anyway, so why not encourage him enjoy the outdoors and sports and socializing while he has the free time?

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Would encourage him yes, iPhone games and YouTube will make it dumber. Make him play DCS , start with less demanding modules like flaming cliff 3 (tbh A10 is even too hard for me without the manual ) maybe he will want to fly , become an air fighter instead of a corporate cog slave .

Burning Bridges

He said he wanted to show him some cool games. not kill his interest in them.

If you start by shoving DCS in front of him, he will either become a psychokiller or end up playing shit like War Thunder instead.

Whatever you do, dont force him to play a game that most adults can't play.

What you can do however, is play it when he's watching and if he gets interested, then let him watch and tell him a bit about what you are doing but conceal how long it took to memorize 100s of keys, or that you cannot takeoff with some of the planes.

The thing with sims is, with adults too btw, that people first need to see how someone play them with ease before they learn how much work it is. But if you tell them right away that it probably takes years before they can do things that other games offer for free, then they will go the way of the least resistance. At least thats what I learned.

As the aim is not to frustrate him in any way, but that he can tell his dad/friends what he just learned about the flap positions or stall characteristics of a Russian jet, and perhaps then he becomes interested in simulations. I doubt it though as most people simply give up instead. At least thats what I learned with 95% of kids these days.

Mortmal

Arcane
He said he wanted to show him some cool games. not kill his interest in them.

If you start by shoving DCS in front of him, he will either become a psychokiller or end up playing shit like War Thunder instead.

What you can do however, is play it when he's watching and if he gets interested, then let him watch and tell him a bit about what you are doing but conceal how long it took to memorize 100s of keys, or that you cannot takeoff with some of the planes.

Whatever you do, dont force him to play a game that most adults can't play.

The thing with sims is, with adults too btw, that people first need to see how someone play them with ease before they learn how much work it is. But if you tell them right away that it probably takes years before they can do things that other games offer for free, then they will go the way of the least resistance. At least thats what I learned.

As the aim is not to frustrate him in any way, but that he can tell his dad/friends what he just learned about the flap positions or stall characteristics of a Russian jet, and perhaps then he becomes interested in simulations. I doubt it though as most people simply give up instead. At least thats what I learned with 95% of kids these days.

Yes but hes' a codexer nephew , he's likely to have superior neanderthal genes and be part of the 5%. I tried DCS with my 10 year old cousin and he enjoyed it a lot, not frustrated at all.Again flaming, clif not A10C, there's very little to memorize for this more arcade dlc.
Really its nothing new, imagine the scene 100 years early , a monocled gentleman having tea in the prestigious codex gentlemen club mention to his peer his nephew who has a poor choice in matter of litterature. He ask them if he should introduce him the classics.... That's the exact same things, of course he should show him the classics.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
He is outgoing, sporty, and good in school, and gaming is addictive and may fuck all that up.

Maybe it would be better to let him discover his own hobbies? Or should a good uncle try to guide and help?

It might be tempting to be the 'cool' uncle who shows him awesome RPG shiny, but if he's doing well now you should probably leave him alone. Gaming is a glorified drug addiction.

He'll probably have to spend the rest of his life glued to a screen anyway, so why not encourage him enjoy the outdoors and sports and socializing while he has the free time?
I did think about that but he already spends entire days playing games on his iPad and he has gaming nights with his little friends where they play Mincraft and stuff. He has parents to encourage him to go outside, but if he is gonna play games, they should at least be decent ones. As it was said above, playing iphone games and watching youtube will make him retarded.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Yes but hes' a codexer nephew , he's likely to have superior neanderthal genes and be part of the 5%. I tried DCS with my 10 year old cousin and he enjoyed it a lot, not frustrated at all.Again flaming, clif not A10C, there's very little to memorize for this more arcade dlc.
Really its nothing new, imagine the scene 100 years early , a monocled gentleman having tea in the prestigious codex gentlemen club mention to his peer his nephew who has a poor choice in matter of litterature. He ask them if he should introduce him the classics.... That's the exact same things, of course he should show him the classics.

Flaming Cliffs is popamole you lazy bum.

Get a Spitfire LF Mk IX, try to take off with it and then tell us how it went.

Burning Bridges

I did think about that but he already spends entire days playing games on his iPad and he has gaming nights with his little friends where they play Mincraft and stuff. He has parents to encourage him to go outside, but if he is gonna play games, they should at least be decent ones.

Now what have you played with him? It cannot be so hard to find some rpg, strategy or other game that is accessible and interests him.

I think it is only important to choose a game where resources and progression is sparse and avoid at all costs this modern shit where the game tries to shove loot into the player through every orifice.

You could also try something like Blood Bowl, that teaches the basics of turn based mechanics.

Panzer General could also be good, in fact PGForever is out in the open and completely free.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
We played an old-ish flight sim which is pretty good although very basic. And we played Worms which he didn't seem to like (not sure why), I got the Mario games on a SNES emulator and he didn't even want to play it, and Simpsons Hit & Run which he loves. But he played that to death now. I also showed him some other games like Need For Speed and Plants vs Zombies but he didn't seem interested in either of them. He tried the racing game but sucked at it and the PvZ I think it confused him. I need to spend a bit more time explaining stuff.

We also don't see each other often and don't always get to play games, but next time I am planning to show him Eye of the Beholder 2. It was my intro to RPGs. I also want to try some version of Tekken or some fighting game, and also something like Cities Skylines. Maybe if he can stay a while over xmas we can do some real gaming!

Burning Bridges

We also don't see each other often and don't always get to play games, but next time I am planning to show him Eye of the Beholder 2. It was my intro to RPGs. I also want to try some version of Tekken or some fighting game, and also something like Cities Skylines. Maybe if he can stay a while over xmas we can do some real gaming!

You could also just teach him how to play Chess, and let the rest work by itself.

All you want him to realize is that life isn't a zoo where there is always a button in front of you that you can push to get the next reward from the feeder. Once you get him to look at his hands and then look at you with incredulity that they are not just there to suck, masturbate or stuff food in his mouth, you will have won.

At least that's how I understand your quest.

Ash

Arcane
That only one is probably not staged and he probably wanted to say "I am tired of talking to your mom about this" and "FUK" at the same time, try it, it happens when you are enraged.

He undoubtedly intended to say "I'm tired of your fucking mouth" but what it actually came out as was "I'm tired of fucking your mouth" (not mom).

Burning Bridges

I actually rewatched it and it's the same dad as the one with the big screen TV, and those 2 are obviously staged.

In fact if you pay attention most of them are fake. Though I really like the one with the Jap in the Nibbler T-shirt, and how he throws away his sledgehammer at the end like a samurai sword.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
If you're from any of the regions where Nintendo thinks humans live (US,EU Australia or Japan) get him a 3DS or 2DSXL or Switch and get him some staples of that platform. Get him some non-Mario games to make sure he doesn't turn into Moviebob and you can at least rest assured he won't be playing shitty mobile games. The 3DS has stuff like Pokemon (not the cancerous GO) and Monster Hunter (also coming to PC, haha take that Nintendo fanboys) and Animal Crossing and Switch has whatever gimmicky kidsy stuff it has, along with the new Rabbids TBS thing, Zelda and Splatoon and most importantly parental controls too.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Kids often have less control over where they are, the younger they are. Combined with their short attention spans and easily distractable nature, they are easily drawn to the pick up and play mentality of mobile gaming. At his age I had a gameboy and spent a lot of time playing the zelda clone final fantasy game. Final fantasy legends or something like that. As well as pokemon. Might want to try to get him into handheld gaming. Etrian Odyssey Wizardry-clones might be a bit tough for him now, but there's probably something.

I had two uncles who were very into CRPGs, strategy games, JRPGs, etc. and they were huge influences on my interest in gaming, but it was largely from an external perspective. Seeing them play games on family vacations and so on. But, if your nephew's parents are the type to let him laze around and play mobile games all day, even going so far as to BUY him 'gems' in those ridiculous scams, there might not be much you can do. By 3 I was booting up our family computer on my own (I am not so old, but it required more brains than starting a PC today), and I learned to read primarily by replaying Shining Force on the Sega Genesis over and over again during summers. By 10 I was playing Baldur's Gate and reading books, not "playing" ipad "games" aimed at manipulating little kids and watching over-the-top youtubers who cater to the lowest aspect of our brains.

Best advice, and near universally applicable: Just do what you can in a reasonable way and accept that many external events are beyond your power to control.

Ash

Arcane
Get him a NDS with Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, the Pokemon, Final Fantasy 6 and Resident Evil 1 remakes, one of the Zelda games or remakes, Nu Super Mario Bros. Get him to appreciate some Japanese classics dressed as more recent games. Skip Resident Evil if the parents abide by age ratings though.

Getting him into PC gaming will be more challenging, unless you buy him a PC with some games for use in his room and his parents are fine with that. But even then age is a little bit of a barrier for old school cRPGs. Especially these days, where kids are used to games being utterly brainless.

Portability of a NDS is huge to a kid too, since you're dragged around by your parents everywhere at a young age out of necessity.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I wouldnt even let my son go to school, that takes away from VALUABLE game time. how r u gonna noscope if ur gettin cucked on hitler all day?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom