Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spore Creature Creator preview

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
This website just put up a preview for the creature creator, which is supposed to be released in about a week or two (free and retail versions). Some quotes from the preview:

You can change the background up from the default field location to an extraterrestrial look to a volcanic dark world. There’s also a plain black background, which is perfect for filming videos that you want to edit into a movie.

Speaking of videos, Spore has teamed up with YouTube to let players upload videos of their creature to their YouTube account directly through the game. You’ll also be able to take pictures of your creature that you can e-mail to friends in the test drive mode. Spore has also joined with a comic book creation company, so players will be able to make little comics with their creatures, too.
The Spore Web site is going to play a big part in the Spore world. All the creatures you have made will be in your own little section of the Spore site, where people can comment on and rate your creation. People will also be able to simply drag the thumbnail of your creature from your site onto their own harddrive and then load up your creature design into their Creature Creator. Each picture is like a very tiny compressed recipe that tells the game exactly what the creature is supposed to look like. You'll also have widgets and an RSS feed for your Spore site.

Everything you do in the game will be recorded on Sporepedia. It will store the characters you have created, the comments you've moderated and show you who has visited your profile -- basically everything is recorded here. Sporepedia is seamless between the game and Web site.
http://www.destructoid.com/pew-pew-prev ... 0092.phtml

Chefe

Erudite
Ha ha, awesome. I can't wait for this. I'm glad I've got my good computer back.

Armacalypse

Scholar
I remember that presentation where Robin Williams made a creature.

The creature editor seems like an amazing technical feat, and like a good source for lots of lulz. But from what I've seen I remain sceptical about the rest of the game.

MetalCraze

Arcane
too much promises. considering that this is a EA game I'm sceptical, even very sceptical as well.
sure I believe it is possible to make a game that big - the other question is how fast will this roll down to the boredom that is Sims

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Youtube videos? Ugg, sounds like Sims 2 fail has infected Spore

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
skyway said:
too much promises. considering that this is a EA game I'm sceptical, even very sceptical as well.
sure I believe it is possible to make a game that big - the other question is how fast will this roll down to the boredom that is Sims

Two words:
Will Wright.

I've been psyched about this game for years, I'm glad it's FINALLY FUCKING COMING OUT.

This is a day-one purchase for me, DRM or no DRM.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
skyway said:
That's my main concern for the game as well. The game does sound very fun, especially the creature making. But how long does it stay fun until you grow bored with it? Making creatures seems like the best part, but every feature after that the devs. have talked about...I dunno, those parts look like they might get boring fast. The space exploration sounds awesome, but the other stuff I'm not too crazy about.

Destroid

Arcane
Apparently paying for demos is the new thing in gaming, see Grand Turismo Prologue and now Spore :roll:.

RAG

Educated
Am I the only one who thinks that this game is going to flop? I guess it costs a pile of money to make, Will Wright is working on it, the expectations are high and is the next creation after The Sims but I just can't understand which market is directed to. If they believe this is going to be the next Sims , they are gonna crash and burn
No way in hell this game is going to interest my girlfriend. It's not something that casual gamers can relate to easily. It looks like a sandbox game not hardcore enough to keep "serious" gamers interested for long and not social or romantic enough for moms and girls around the world to go in a store just to buy it.

I really want this game to succeed but let's hope they don't have expectations to sell a gazilion copies to call it a success

Caveman

Scholar
Spore looks extremly retarded.
Im pretty sure this game is dumbed down, simple and boring.

I'm waiting for NOCTIS V, space exploration simulator. But it seems to be vapoware. What a shame.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
The only part of the game that will probably be fun. The rest seems to be minigames (a bit like pacman, a bit like civilization but less complex, kinda like Alpha Centauri - I'd rather load those games up and play them than an inferior version).

JoKa

Cipher
Kingston said:
a bit like civilization but less complex, kinda like Alpha Centauri

please elaborate.
(i hope my quoting isn't entirely out of context, if it is, please elaborate anyway... ;) )

Castanova

Prophet
They should have made this game for the iPhone. It'd be a smash hit there. Even more hardcore gamers would be willing to play it while sitting on the train. I think it'll be interesting to see the reviews for this one - you could make a case that the media licks Will Wright's asshole for this one and you could also make a case that the media will blast this to holy hell.

Texas Red

Whiner
This game and The Sims is just reinventing the bycicle: they just can't understand that RPGs, in that creating your own character, is superior to other genres, especially FPS.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
JoKa said:
Kingston said:
a bit like civilization but less complex, kinda like Alpha Centauri

please elaborate.
(i hope my quoting isn't entirely out of context, if it is, please elaborate anyway... ;) )

Will Wright said the first stage is a bit like pacman, the second one a bit like diablo, the third a bit like Populous or something, the fourth a bit like Civilization, the endgame like Alpha Centauri. Only that they aren't as deep or complex as those games. So the only thing keeping you playing that game and not playing the proper games is probably seeing your creature evolve.

Armacalypse

Scholar
Kingston said:
So the only thing keeping you playing that game and not playing the proper games is probably seeing your creature evolve.
Sadly, I have a feeling that how many noses you put on your creature won't matter much when you are running an empire.

But ofcourse, being able to create a tyrranical space empire consisting of evil penis people will make me look away from these flaws a bit.

Oarfish

Prophet
Creature editor is loads of fun. *cough* scctrialsetup *cough* isohunt. It's damn easy to use even for someone as crappy at art as me.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Piracy is not wrong because I need an excuse to be able to sleep at night.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom