Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sunless Sea - Lord Azlan loses his virginity again

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I first came across Sunless Sea in a PC Gamer review and I liked the graphics style. I should have known Codex already had a 10 page thread about it – from 2014 no less.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-undersea-trading-and-exploration-game.92676/

There is an Edgar Allan Poe, HP Lovecraft, Alone in the Dark and Jules Verne, feel to it. Recently I have been into games with unique graphic styles such as Don’t Starve, Invisible Inc and now Sunless Sea.

Before this Let’s Play I commenced a few runs just to see if it was my cup of tea. Get me a giant mug. I died a few times but became familiar enough to do a LP.

D316BF831E82690AB2B2C56FD304455C41EAE320

LONDON HAS FALLEN.

At one point a cataclysmic event – some say caused by vampire bats – has caused London to collapse and sink into the Earth. Our story begins at a docks, under the Earth. The language used by the developer is familiar but with a gothic slant.

The developers recommend you play the game with only one save which happens automatically when you dock. When you die there is a mechanic to pass on some of your achievements down your lineage, no doubt called Lord Azlan the Second. Although even this, like many things in the game can get complex.

There is a way to disable the only one save mode but that is for pale faced, lilly livered-land lubbers only. I laugh at those guys.

The C&C that I have experienced in this particular game reigns supreme in my limited experience and I can begin to see how many RPG just can’t reach the levels found here. Sunless Sea is part rogue, part strategy, part exploration and part story telling.

NO ONE IS BORN A ZEE CAPTAIN

What did you do before the bats took London?

3B3536E2DF5CDC8A56018F6073CD372E3BEDD513

The first thing is to define your past before you can travel the Unterzee. The choice here impacts on your stats, your starting officer companion and also, and at least, outcomes to events.

A street urchin?
A poet?
A verteran of the ’68 campaign?
An ordaned priest?
A natural philosopher?

I chose to be a combat vet and received a bonus to Iron, the skill related to causing damage. I received a mascot and a Shady Cook, my first officer.

3E49F9694A2671C63BBFC5E9B4B4382DF90B219A

DAMN TOKENS

One of the key game mechanics revolve around these little tokens that can be goods, experiences, achievements, failures.

Basically all sorts of stuff that follow you around and dictate or provide a % chance on maybe EVERYTHING. It took me a while to get my head around it. The round green echo thing is the game's currency.

HAVE I BEEN SUCCESSFUL?

Sunless Sea lets you define your final objective. Finding a lost father or earning millions and living the life of luxury. Do you want to spend your life travelling the zee discovering the unknown or what about establishing your own colony where you are the absolute ruler?

C4C04F5522AE0C846DEB5CD3FEDA430236492E5A

No one is born a zee captain but I am Captain Azlan the First and this is my story.

My father was lost at zee. I never knew him but I often dream that one day I would learn all about him and discover who I am.

I want to find out what happened to him and return his bones home for a proper burial - probably back to the zee.

I have come to Fallen London for the first clue.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The Dark Spectacled Admiral

I heard from an old friend. We lost the war and now he serves food to our former pompous generals and such. One guy drank a bit too much at the Parthenaum Club and revealed something - he knew my father?

I MUST GET TO HIM!

9BDD0540CDF68225D63FB24BE7F0C6876D2DBD95

Let's begin - I won't fail you father!

C528338F81F1494F05773461942E2774D21535A9

My little boat is patiently waiting at Wolfstack Docks - waiting for me to get my act together.

The boat is moved around using the W,A,S,D keys. Top left shows boat speed, hull strength and hold capacity.

Next to that is engine temperature and fuel, hunger and food supplies and something called terror.

I don't know what happens at maximum terror, maybe your crew refuse to sail or jump into the zee. Maybe they go mad.

I do know that we all crap our pants sometimes. Shit just happens and you need to deal with it.

No matter how far you travel, a return to Wolfstack Dock will reduce your terror to 50 if it was above. Things like resting in a nice bed or shore leave can reduce it.

That's me on the top right and the numbers below indicate I have 8/10 crew available and ready. My mascot is there and my only officer so far, a guy called Shady Cook, who happens to be a cook. He increases my Heart stat.

The Heart rating impacts inspire, heal and defend and also helps with terror situations.

My Iron rating is a strong 50 which means I am ready for combat and kicking unknown ass.

The little tags along the right all relate to events and opportunities. Most of these can also be accessed through my journal or Gazetteer.

A26B6FA306891F04CDA13B6E169B3BF9A9DC6F22

Advice for captains? Read it and sold it. Let's summarize:

• Captains die a lot. The map layout changes a bit for each captain.
  • Staying close to home is safe but unless you explore and unlock secrets and stories - you will run out of supplies and die.
  • Your ship lamp reduces terror on the seas and uses fuel as well as does the engines.
  • Your zee-bat can fly around scouting ahead and can point out interesting places to explore.
  • In combat, when your enemy gets close enough the weapons will glow. If you fire before that you can miss.
  • Try and stay behind enemy ships so they can't fire on you, unless..
  • You can avoid some fights by turning off the lamp and try to increase speed away in the dark.

9F4F7A5EC942D3D93D620E6BBFEC66B596129166

Just some browsing...

Shipyard

6024F70DEC36003F80B2C4B6F739F24755D1B828

Shopping

9373B82234CA12CCEEC69F66D130FD8252D84566

My little ship

DECE01074211E0C7E8B647030B9FA698DA4AAAC1

I like to have a little place where I like to call home.

Unfortunately, as we all know about the house prices in London, even the fictional ones are extortionately high. I can only afford to lodge at the moment.

However I can read the local papers and rest for a price. That price of 10 echoes will only reduce my terror by one. It's a damn scandal.

Learning about the 'Latest News' is treated by the game as a commodity and can be traded away for something - usually you don't know what.

1323D1E4302C24A006A7624D3BF1409D026A8FFF

I suspect the news is the same every time..

Hmm.

The game helpfully tells you what you need to unlock events. For example I have realised that Admiral Dark Specs won't meet with me unless I do his organisation some favours. I better go there and find what needs to be done.

53B595432A2339577CA2EE7F8D70813885B435FD

Before I can get to the admiral's office I get accosted by a stranger. A Gnomic Gallivant, some history buff who wants to travel to the Cumaen Canal AND the Iron and Misery Funging Station.

GG also goes on about a game of chess on Port Cecil where a king will fall!

He's mad no doubt but I promise to take him with me when I leave.

2FAF87CDD90E126A5CEBB57ADEA7B79FCA217BE1

At the Admiralty Survey Office I learn that if I bring back survey reports from the places I venture to - these will earn the admiral's favour.

So basically I need to be some sort of spy.

I think my military background impressed some of his staff as they gave me a specific mission to retrieve Strategic Information, in a place called Gaider's Mourn. Some guy mentioned Corsairs.

F8780A1CABD9F95F24778EB882DE231959B17ECB

A bunch of events are chance based. I had an 81% chance to recruit more crew and now topped up to the max! I lost 30 echo for that.

10/10 baby! Hmm. Maybe the number of crew effects the rate of supplies being consumed? Hmm.

Then something strange happened.

An emigrant who spends all his time in a coffin. Covered in wraps like The Mummy and had a distinctive undead feel about him.

I took him on anyway.

8F729371F9537B0F4E4E76B0FC010E34F1F2969C

I can't dally no more. It's time to journey into the Unterzee and find my father's bones.

Last look at my journal. I make sure it's all updated. I stock up on food and fuel.

That might be a mistake as I have little reserve cash now. No doubt some events can only be unlocked with cash. We will see.

AABD3AE0A4DA73C125FD8C0531826CC04FBC3A31

I AM LEAVING NOW. MY FATE WILL BE DECIDED BY MY OWN SKILL

AND SOME LUCK NO DOUBT.

As I head out and within just a few seconds my faithful bats indicate they have found a place called Hunter's Keep to the North East.

I put my foot down and head that way. Faint wind behind me and full darkness ahead.

5FE026582ABCA04D0506EA370847A7E5CAF976A0

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

Kubla Khan

BY SAMUEL TAYLOR COLERIDGE

The travelling around exploration bit of the game is most interesting. It's slow.

The world map is huge and I think actual places of interest are rare. This means a lot of the time your little boat is chugging along in the dark and there is not much to do. You can increase your speed but that will use up fuel.

Have Failbetter Games found the right balance?

A lot of the time your boat is chugging along in silence but sometimes the fantastic music kicks in - and its pretty good.

I think my favourite is a tune called Oceana Lonissima

The eerie emptiness of traversing a huge underground lake in the dark. It's a strange experience as I don't think you can do anything else whilst you are travelling. Any chats with your officers or perusal through game information PAUSES THE GAME.

Hunter's Keep is probably the first place all rookie captains find.

AD4EE0356D73CCA916530753FA0492491CDAE138

It's a small island with what looks like a huge mansion house dominating. You need to align your boat with the damn dock correctly otherwise you will crash and cause hull damage. After a few dockings in various places you will get the hang of it.

My log book is informing me that I have gained things called fragments and you will notice the yellow bar above the log book is half full now. Once each bar is complete you will gain a 'secret' which can be used to 'Level Up' your officers.

Like many things in the game 'Secrets' can have other purposes. They can be used in encounters or sold for who knows what.

Unfortunately although the various graphical depictions of the islands look neat, most interactions with the island and any people there are done through the same text blocks and tags. If you slow down and read the writing, like I started to do for PST, you will really enjoy this game and get immersed. Otherwise you may not GET IT.

Back on dry rock I see a large house and a garden and I have a chance to explore and maybe put together a report for the admiral.

It looks like that even though this island is very close to London, it rarely gets any visitors. Maybe there is simply nothing here or maybe something is scaring people away?

Carefully I walk slowly closer to the house to see what if anything is happening. I hear piano music.

A female voice can be heard "Soon. We'll get hungry and then the end will come. But not for you."

9144ABABBDAB9AD35DEC125E65FEC5B9FC4EEC9D

Is it all strange? Yes.

Do I know what the heck is going on? No.

Rather than head back to my boat and continue exploring the sea, I step forward and approach the house. A maid answers the door and takes me inside and presents me to three sisters, all hungry for news of the outside world. They make a fuss and invite me for lunch.

But I can only choose to sit with one of them. Hmm.
  • Melancholy and pensive
  • Sunny and restless, prone to giggles
  • Watchful and unpredictable
I choose Ms Melancholy. Her name is Cynthia and she is the eldest. As we talk I get lost in her wide blue eyes and for some reason I see visions of a mad axe murderer and the smell of blood in my nostrils.

After a few moments Cynthia breaks into whatever state I was in, "Another chop?"

I look around confused. Cynthia explains, "You have barely touched your food - you must eat!"

8F6276DFEA04CC95D8DC87F2D0932D0783A2DC73

I hastily grab all my things and pass on my apologies.

"It's a huge honor my ladies to make your acquaintance, I promise to stay in touch and drop by whenever I can."

I gain a supply of food and also a tale of terror. Probably about that axe murderer.

A quick look in my hold and journal reflects my experience on Hunter's Keep.

93FB5BC5A4B0B800A0FECCFEAB5F1F3469C0A5CF

My first port report sitting next to my first tale of terror. Lovely.

I head back to my boat and we head north.

In the dark gloom of the zee I hear the pirate engines before the light of the lamp reveals their ship. It looks to be slightly smaller than ours and I quickly decide to fight rather than run. We will take damage but hopefully they will only be able to take 1-2 salvos from our gun.

09EBE862A06F70DD6ACD93599A083B615E6B4AD3

Combat?

Apparently it used to be turn based but Failbetter changed it to real time. Weapons take a few seconds to charge up and be ready. Some use torpedoes that must be bought separately. Each weapon has its own range and arc and some can cause a stun effect. Sometimes you can hear another ship is close by before you can see it so in those times you must manually find the evil pirate scum and manually target it.

The pirate scum was no match for me and I sent its crew to Davy Jones.

Most vanquished ships and sea creatures leave loot. This sad and forgotten old pirate ship left behind a crate of fuel which I eagerly took on.

0EE283EE459571121AEC9B85A6E499386EAA3251

Heading back north our bat identified Venderbight ahead. It's the place The Mummy wanted to travel to. I checked and he was still in the coffin.

EB4329FD24CCF6D8ECE73BB1EE50C0F0F1EF1358

The dock was just ahead.

I had left London with 12 Fuel and 7 Supplies. Considering the fuel and supplies we had gained on the way looks like a 3:1 ratio in consumption. Maybe.

Let's get this coffin of my ship!

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The Trouble with Tomb Colonists

The damn zombie had been drinking and decided to challenge me to a fight as soon as we docked. Cowardly crew held back cheering him on - maybe they wanted to see what their captain was made off.

Strong as Iron baby and I kicked the zombie mummy in his nether regions with a sharp kung-fu kick.

Every now the game throws challenges your way and provides a % chance of success. Some are optional. This was not.

Turns out zombie guy was a girl and after our little fight she releases a shrill giggle and falls back and falls into the zee. Not before stripping off her zombie bandages revealing a mix assortment of goodies, including two large loafs of bread and a strange mask artifact.

Is this weird at all?

5FDB29DA335B154F7095826E78EF891A58BC954F

I was expecting a cash reward but instead have Jim Carey's mask and some undead bread instead.

Now some of the items and whatnot you pick up have a little commentary with them. Most don't.

The Outlandish Artifact -

SS_guisemalesmall.png

This belongs in a museum! Assuming that colonial-imperial appropriation for the purpose of hegemonic taxonomisation is a suitable response to the problem of intercultural contact. Which it probably is, because museums are magnificent institutions.

If you've made an Ironclad Will, you can convert a collection of these into an Heirloom for your successor.

Free from the traitorous tomb colonist I explore the port. Shops sell fuel and supplies. The Hollow Temple, guarded outside by a long-snouted reptile god will purchase recent news, visions and memories. Not great prices though.

I commence the standard spy report for the admiralty.

0E76EBA34DC3FCCF0545E0352E156797E967A21A

It's true. It has been relatively safe travelling up the coast and avoiding the deep sea.

This port has a shipyard that offers a decent ship - probably trice the potential of my little girl.

Three times the hull and weight, better cargo space and provides a +10 bonus to the key stats. A bit more than 20 echoes though.

AB0ACD47704DF21D8A0E2CC8FE919CCDFF6E884D

Venderbight is like a holiday camp for leprocantic mummys - I can hear those guys quietly walking around all over the place. Like giant spiders. I shudder and wait for a moment whether to cut my losses and escape this eerie port. I decide to explore instead.

Further inland I see many cobwebs and empty buildings. Along one side street I come across a glowing yellow light and sign: VENGEANCE OF JONAH.

Before I can move on a large beefy colonist welcomes me - "Welcome, come inside - try our lovely dishes!"

Turns out this guy is a cook - a cook called Bandaged Poissonnier.

260px-SS_bandagedpoissoniergaz.png

I like his mustache but had to apologize I already have a decent cook on senior staff. Plus I could not afford his wages. I promise to think of him on my travels and mention his services to others I meet. One day if fate allows I could come back and visit.

77DF5F3A499D3C3953F21417B3D44ACF17AD6501

Tomb Colonies have been around longer than even London has existed. This particular one is governed by the First Curator and every now and again he allows visitors. I step into his mansion and the place goes dark. One of his stewards explains the First Curator is afraid of moths - hence just the barest light allowed.

I step forward and my eyes adjust to see a small child like figure crumpled on a couch. He is barely moving. His voice difficult to distinguish between the other slight noises in this place.

I ask about the Grand Sanatorium, I head whispers around the port. What is it?

First Curator: "Oh, silk-skin. You don't want to know...” The chuckling becomes a cough. “We don't die here below. Not unless we go to zee. So we needed something else: somewhere to end...”

He peers at me through the darkness and sees something in me I know not.

First Curator: "“Zee-Captain. Silk-skin. Not much left of me. I will go... into the Grand Sanatorium. Bring me colours. Seven colours. Pay. Well.”

I look at this creature for a moment and hold his gaze. I don't know if he gets many visitors or this favor is asked often. I promise to bring him the colors.

The First Curator turns away and its clear the effort to talk to me had taken its toll. The door behind us opens and lets in a little light. It's my imagination but it seems the First seems to shrink even further - as if to hide from the light.

His steward seems grateful. Outside he passes me a book.

Steward: "We would all be eternally be grateful if you do this favor. The Curator is as old as dust"

7932658110F8BE0619C10D2D2A4F111D7EC926D6

I head back to the docks and watch the waves trying to make out a pattern. There is none. I have two reports for the admiralty and need one more to gain enough favor to make an appointment with the Dark-Spectacled Admiral.

B3B1F87189B14AE300C4146B4CE15C785D402FDF

I will head north along the coast. No point heading to deep see just yet.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
In 1861, Queen Victoria sold London to a strange entity to ensure the life of her husband, Prince Albert.

London was then taken deep underground, at least one mile by bat creatures and once on foundation the city was surrounded by an enormous sea. It was a vast subterranean ocean with many islets and infested with monstrous sea life.

There in the deep dark, adventurers discovered other locations nearby. Among these is Polythreme, a country where inanimate objects become alive and sentient (and source of Clay Men, the golems used as cheap labor in London), the Iron Republic, a devil-ruled place in which even reality is subject to the capricious and constantly changing written laws, and the Khanate, a rival nation to Fallen London made up of the descendents of the fourth city that was taken, Karakorum.

Fallen London has also found itself much closer to Hell: devils appear constantly and casually in various storylines, and even maintain an embassy in the city itself. A dream-realm, Parabola, is closer to London than to surface locations, and is sometimes visible through mirrors.

London is not alone in another way. It was only the fifth city to be taken underground in a pattern stretching across thousands of years.

This is the background story of Fallen London. A browser based game from where Sunless Sea was born.

http://www.failbettergames.com/fallen-london/

comic-6.jpg

I continue heading north hugging the coastline. In the dark edges of the ship lights we see a swarm of bats headed our way. It's their red eyes that provide us enough warning.

Some of the creatures can be 'converted' to food once defeated. But those supplies are normally last to be consumed, just before crews start looking at each other. So I heard. Apparently some crew prefer the salted, leathery taste of bat flesh.

Disposing of the bats straight into the sea will help reduce terror by the smallest amount. I take some hull damage, something to keep an eye on.

At the North Eastern corner of the Unterzee I find the town of Whither. Any fool looking from afar would think its surrounded by snow but it not. Stone and Salt only.

0BB37F5F4B35D679F932C0E809E2190ED40FE49F

The shops in Whither are a bit strange. Instead of accepting the local echo currency they seem to have a barter system where they prefer to exchange stories and ideas. Browsing I found items such as Stygian Ivory and The Figurehead of the Eater of Names. The latter can be exchanged for an Extraordinary Implication - if you can ever get your hands on one.

The town feels unusually safe though. Maybe it is just too far for anyone to trouble. I do my spying, exploring and look into shore leave for the crew. Lot of pants need cleaning.

I take a moment to talk to the cook. He is my only officer and we have not really spoken. Much. He sees me coming and throws out a bunch of wheezes and coughs. Is he a smoker?

Shady Cook: "Whatcheront?"

What's your story Shady? How comes you with me at the top of the world? Why did you choose to travel the zee?

Shady Cook: "Seolly"

???

Shady Cook: "Sea of Lillies"

Ah. I leave the guy to his bat stew and wander around innocently asking questions as a spy would. The Whither folk are a strange breed though. Always answering my questions with one of their own.

2E5A1E03EC5A45BA6D2F5292B13F6DDC84E645D2

I wonder around a bit more. Picking up rumors and stories.

A gate in the North
A pale light that began there
A drowned light that will end there
A high wilderness where other ships sail

Someone had scribbled on a wall near the docks

IS THERE A SEA MORE SUNLESS?

At one point I remember we need to head back to London. I need to find my father and the admiral needs three reports. At the NE top of the world we head East and come across The Codex.

74975BD9966B8CBDD60AEFB3377C5D97E0D9C331

I know. Those fools get everywhere. Even miles under the Earth.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The Codex consists of a cave of desperate mute exiles surrounded by a small inexplicable colony of shivering, bad-tempered monkeys.

I would say that is established fact. Some guys have been around since 1861 no doubt.

It's small island with a single huge stone door. Apparently I need a Searing Enigma to get in. Knock Knocks won't do.

In a very small hut a strange monkey creature trades in fuel and supplies. I wonder where the visitors go.

With no one to talk to the spy report is a bit difficult to do. Hmm.

• The exiles see many come, fewer leave.
  • Even when you can understand, these are answers without questions.
  • As useless as a key without a lock.
AD2060C0109B22222A067237CDE28EB07BBDF2AA

I scroll up to the top of this thread and note I left London with 12 fuel and 7 supplies. Now I have 6 and 6.

I need to turn back or risk the unknown.

Heading back was also a risky decision. We sail near a small rock jutting out of the ocean but it starts moving when it sees our light - it is a Lifeberg.

SS_lifeberg_topgaz.png

I just see it moving towards the ship and 400 HPs. In a panic I turn of the lights and get disorientated for a moment. I forget about the map. I then move full steam ahead in whatever direction I ended up in.

1DB61C1E4DCDBAD287BF6577E84F0DE5325AC023

More pants need cleaning. Precious fuel wasted.

It seems like the zee creatures were waiting for the journey back. Maybe they have some sort of intelligence.

A Megalops is killed and dissected. We all stand around its golden corpse pretending to look all science. We should have had crab soup.

CC2682E2A0C18FB3FCC3507A50E23403393B502C

Then another damn swarm of bats.

I am not looking at the fuel levels.

We barely make it back to London....

F67B9F43ABA282F8D338475C1DE7BFEBEF9C0710

I note in my ledger.

Not very good at Sunless Sea. Need to improve.
One is not the last number.

The "1" on the fuel gauge indicated one barrel left. NOT THE LAST ONE.

Phew - I made it back to shore dad!

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Death and Taxes.

Something that Sunless Sea has in common with our world. Sometimes the tax and customs office accosts new ships at deck and their people look for bribes or illegal goods.

There is a trigger called "Something Awaits You At Shore" and its instantly recognizable when your lamp on the log screen at the bottom right turns bright yellow.

It seems to have a huge effect on the C&C in the game. I suspect the trigger is also broken down into random numbers so the trigger needs to occur + a random number. It all works together and gives a nice random feel to the game. There are other triggers to. Mostly things are the same at every location but random things do happen and I know now that as you progress through the various stories situations change as a result.

Somethings trigger straight away on docking and you can't escape them. Tax Man is one of them.

Afterwards, thinking of my father I go straight away to the Admirals Office. Let's deliver those 'spying' reports.

Hunter's Keep - Yep, this sisters are doing well. They like to eat and have a nice garden.
Vederbight - Yep, those guys remain sort of not quite dead still
Whither - Yep, those guys keep on answering questions with their stupid own questions. There was no ice.
Codex - Yep, those monkeys don't talk much

Each time I handed in a report I was rewarded with a small amount of cash and a barrel of fuel. I had earned four favors!

2B7FCAAB1787AFF55CB7C69BA2A3F2A79C4C1615

With the earned favors I walk into the admirals asking demanding to see him.

Did he know my father? What happened to him?

The Dark-Spectacled Admiral looks straight into my eyes. Did I remind him of my dad?

Admiral: "Kingeater's Castle. The empty temple at the end of the world. Your father went there. No one makes the pilgrimage there if they intend to return. One way or another, no pilgrim returns home.

Captain, if you do go there, do not take any who are dear to you.

Go South and East to the end of the world."

A0CE227AA6B17F09277B299C8BB01EBFCFFFB01B

I thank the admiral and give him my best naval salute. What to do next - head straight to the Castle, go south and east?

Or should I bide my time and learn my trade. Improve my skills and gather an impressive crew?

I take the Outlandish Artifact to the London University - hoping it would gain some attention and even a price.

Turns out a young scholar with a mop of hair wearing all green took the artifact of my hands for 100 echoes. He seemed willing to see any other strange items I manage to find as well.

Back near the docks I heard rumors of a specialist surgeon looking for work. She liked to be known as the Cladery Heir. Strange. But I took her on.

Once I paid her signing on fee and got her on board I saw that invite her to dine with me for some company over the boring times at sea. Cough, as I could with all of my officers off course. She could help with my Heart. Give it a good going over and increase its efficiency.

The final option with red head was to try a bit of the romantic stuff. I was not sure as I wanted it to stay professional. Who knows what would happen if the crew found out and times on the dreadful zee were on the edge. Maybe later.

9F43BE243134E98BA15A9A31D2956543EFB961FF

Back at the docks a fine young man was offering freebies to wandering captains.

His cruel looking dagger had a fine edge and he was one eyed. I should have walked past, but I didn't. Free gifts are simply too good (to be true) at the beginning. Blind Bruiser was his name.

I pretended to be all well-to-do and a captain of immense experience. In fact all I had done was go up the coast and back - and barely made it back.

What is this for?
Where is it coming from?
What do you need in exchange?

Looking back now the goods in question would have cost me 200 echoes and much more outside London.

Answer me this - which one of you would reject a free gift?

Bruiser: "Well, my patron hopes that you find these little gifts to your liking, and he expects that perhaps some day you might choose to call on him."

FEF7984B75A60C41EDE140385C13DDA734A393AC

No doubt this will end badly.

Now I have a nice supply of fuel and supplies I head back to see. This time south. Along the coast south.

Immediately our bat signifies Mutton Island. We head in to dock.

995410675CE97B5EA2E90AF243A7C6088927E6E1

The local village is called Quaker's Haven and it all seems very quiet and eerie.

Drinks can be found at the local tavern called the Cock and Magpie which also sold fuel and supplies but about 25% marked up from London prices. I went out for stroll afterwards preparing my spy report for the admiral.

A mangy, wretched cat looked to practically escape the island with me. I tried pushing it away until it got the message. It could be a good mascot but I had the little ferret already.

Further south we identified Cumaen Canal up ahead and I sent word to the Gnomic Gallivant. That strange guy that was on a mission to change the world by playing chess - or something. He was looking for someone.

The most unusual thing at the Canal was that it offered a route up to the surface.

WHAT?

BACK TO THE SURFACE?

36363B0D21869A4D7F2DA6385C282EC313E1C360

The Gallivant asks me a question.

Question: There are ten individuals in a room and one of them is an ancient tyrant. How do you know which one?
Answer: Burglarize a private library for a picture of him.

I decide to help this poor fool. At dinner time where people were scurrying back home and the sound of bells was masking our activities, I grabbed a ladder and rope I helped the Gallivant enter a dirty hotel looking for a French diplomat.

A while later he returns, looking me in the eye, "I have seen the face of eternity printed in ink, it was a terrible face"

DA16DCDC0CE86242D830702DD896AF6B064975FD

I send the Gallivant back to the shop before he does anything crazy. That also allowed me to explore and put together the Admirals report.

Cumaen Canal - Those gates to the surface remain the safest place in all the Unterzee. The surface nations have an interest in keeping it that way.

Every now and again the huge gates open and close, letting ships through. I listen to gossip from the surface.

This Canal would be a prime spot for a pub or wine-shop, but the interests of the Echo Bazaar, and the laws of London, prevent it.

They don't like competition. Still, there are temporary half-legal hostelries in long-moored ships.

Here you trade stories with suntanned Surface sailors - stories of Paris and Batavia, the Lost Fires and the Final Isles..

I have gained some knowledge - 1 x Vision of the Surface

Echo Bazaar was the creature that Queen Victoria gave London to. It was this creature that took London below the surface.

soulstealer.jpg

Having gone a bit south I tell the crew to take the eastern route now. Let's see what is out there.

We go on for a while and the crew get nervous. It's empty zee for a long time. The bat comes back empty.

Then from a distance I see something...

In the zee, it looks like a huge creature, I want to turn the ship back.

Lions? Did Egypt fall into the zee?

saltlions1.gif

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Never been there," repeated Arthur. "What are you talking about? I have to go."

Agrajag stopped in his tracks.

"You must have been there. You were responsible for my death there, as everywhere else. An innocent bystander!" he quivered.

"I've never heard of the place," insisted Arthur. "I've certainly never had anyone try to assassinate me. Other than you. Perhaps I go there later, do you think?"

Agrajag blinked slowly in a kind of frozen logical horror.

"You haven't been to Stavromula Beta...yet?" he whispered.

"No," said Arthur, "I don't know anything about the place. Certainly never been to it, and don't have any plans to go."
"Oh, you go there alright," muttered Agrajag in a broken voice, "you go there alright. Oh zark!" he tottered, and stared wildly about him at his huge Cathedral of Hate. "I've brought you here to soon!"

He started to scream and bellow. "I've brought you here too zarking soon!"

Suddenly he rallied, and turned a baleful, hating eye on Arthur.

"I'm going to kill you anyway!" he roared. "Even if it's a logical impossibility I'm going to zarking well try! I'm going to blow this whole mountain up!" He screamed, "Let's see you get out of this one, Dent!"

He rushed in a painful waddling hobble to what appeared to be a small black sacrificial altar. He was shouting so wildly now that he was really carving his face up badly. Arthur leaped down from his vantage place on the carving of his own foot and ran to try and restrain the three-quarters-crazed creature.

He leaped upon him, and brought the strange monstrosity crashing down on top of the altar.

Agrajag screamed again, thrashed wildly for a brief moment, and turned a wild eye on Arthur.

"You know what you've gone and done?" he gurgled painfully. "You've only gone and killed me again. I mean, what do you want from me. blood?"

Agrajag, Douglas Adams

The Salt Lions

We sail around the huge stone beast and then see another one behind it. They look their in a staring contest.

I can make out some human activity on the second beast and a small port where we can dock.

Workers seem to be systematically chipping away at this giant beast and taking its stone to some other locations, maybe even the zee.

I have a hundred questions and managed to pick up some rumors.

The stone beasts belonged to the 'Second City', a place from where men staged a war against the Masters.

The Masters governed on behalf of the Echo Bazaar.

The sphinx stone quarried here is taken away and used to build something else - maybe further below.

The workers describe themselves as Unmakers and one of their leaders gestures me over.

Unmaker: "We get funding from the Bazaar, it's true, but... Station IV? I wouldn't call us Station IV. It's a little grandiose. The stones are stuffed with secrets, but most of them are used as garden statuary, or occult ballast. Most of them. Some go down to the places under the Bazaar... More teacakes?”

It seems we can make some profit in transporting the stone to London. It would take 20 spare cargo space and 200 echo.

I only have 24 spare cash left.

34B6A965076021C3B478E7F2F1D856891073F120

I file my report for the admiral.

Salt Lions - Silent. Stone. Time. Dissolution.

Heading east again we prepare for a battle! Its a green luminous jelly fish creature. I think we can take it and it may raise the spirit of the crew. I strong win should help us going forward into the dark zee.

06DE31A026F920807CE4CA62BADDB2CEE6E24150

However, the crew is new. I am new. Our surgeon is new.

It's a quick battle, but we also take some damage to the hull.

One of the crew identifies the sad green goo remains as a Jillyfleur.

08CF670F48DCDA930C78719C8A85DC29DE94897E

We can try and salvage some food substance from it or let it fade into the darkness. It goes down, we watch its oily colours fade..

I tell the crew we have done well - killed this savage creature - it's a story we can tell when we get back home!

Further north we find a place called Station III. The buildings on the island are walled off and I we can see warehouses and a large spire in the distance. The entire island seems to hum as if hundreds of large machines are busy working away.

Entry is barred by a large silvery metallic gate with uninteresting sign - DELIVERIES

It seems the island is expecting a batch of Long Boxes.

Station III - Humming.

I instruct the crew to head back to London, in an westerly, northern and eastern direction. Let's head back I say. But take in any spots found by the zee bats.

We found a place called Abbey Rock where The Sisterhood call home.

The island itself is pitch black and only illuminated by the lights from the central cathedral itself. The sisterhood stay aloof and abrupt.

Abbey Rock - It's dark. The sisters are watching. There is a lot of watching.

Rarely visited - the sisters will buy up any spare supplies for a decent price. Other than that they keep behind their walls.

We search the island for anything else of interest and find a stash of supplies. The crates themselves have a Khanate look and I wonder if the Sisters know the Khans are possibly spying on them?

The stash included a parchment indicating Sisterhood movements and comings and goings. It's of Strategic interest to someone. Maybe the Admiral would pay me for it?

Like the Khans then I decided to spy on the Sisterhood from afar. Some of them move into a large yard and begin combat training. They look like large and deadly herons. They leap, whirl and slash at each others with frightening speed and skill.

686B87A0D17DC324215042663B723C9886373A95

In the distance north the lookout spots another island. Turn's out the place is called the Shepherd Isles, no sheep, no shepherds, lots of standing stones and too many long tales.

Turns out the guys here, mostly bearded, like to spend most of their time having picnics and sharing stories. I get carried away for a while, maybe they put something in our drinks.

Shepherd Isle - In the bleak light of the false stars, the zee is rolling like a porridge pot, a roar of flashing fire, three widows are swimming, then...TENTACLES! and then we saw his highness..

It's a proper report, if anyone asks.

Later on in the evening we sit around talking to the islanders and talk about other islands north from this point. Some are small and almost reachable by some of the land bridges. An old grognard chips in.

Grognard: "We did have a bridge, but the Ships of Lights came through here once. Hull of shining brass, lamps like stars. All those damned on deck at once! Couldn't tell if they were laughing or screaming. Ploughed through the bridge and kept going. Everyone who tries to rebuild it? Bursts into flames. So we don't try to rebuild it anymore."

Next day, all rested and happy, I decide to sail home. Let's look at the current map!

25D0D4FFA7177C14221ED0095BC222746FF66C9A

Heading back, it's a short journey and the morale of the crew seems high. This time we have more than enough fuel and supplies.

The harbourmaster is kind enough to log all the messages.

F709D6573A05654304EB9D35205B76ADE3C9F8A2

That Blind Bruiser geezer, he is also waiting at the docks. He looks all business but when he catches my eyes a cruel smile spreads across his face.

Something for something right?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
It's time we should talk about it
There's no secret kept in here
Forgive me for asking
Now wipe away your tears

Bruiser: "Good evening, Captain. And what a marvellous evening it is if you don't mind my saying so and given it is my impression you are an obliging sort. I imagine you will not mind at all.

And since you are so very obliging, perhaps you wouldn't mind making a little detour via Mount Palmerston with a few articles of cargo, if you happen to be in the area? The Cheery Man will of course cover your expenses for this trifling inconvenience"

Ah - em. What to do. I am not sure. I felt sort of obliged to help since the bandit gave me those freebies earlier.

Where the heck is Mount Palmerston anyways?

Bruiser: "If you would be so kind to deliver this little gift to our friends in Palmerston then they will see we gets to hear about it. And when you come back we'll try cover your expenses. Bomb vwoyi-arge, as my aunt who was French by birth if not by inclination used to say. It's somewhere North-East of London"

So many question flood my mind.

Why can't you take it.
Do you have an actual map.
What am I taking.
Why is the Cheery Man called Cheery Man.

But all I say is "No problem Chief" and somehow agreed to smuggle souls. Like magic, an Unstamped Crate of Brilliant Souls will be delivered in my cargo.

I AM A SMUGGLER. DAD WOULD BE PROUD.

Back in my tiny flat I rest up for a night and take in the morning papers.

The Khanate is threatening war (they always are).

London's colonies on the Carnelian Coast want independence (they always do)

The Unterzee, has undergone another Alteration (not yet it hasn't, I would know)

I found a promotional coupon from Mrs Plenty's Provisioners for a half-cask of salt herring.

02DD4174CCDCE624F82D8B3885B10C6A3E9E33CB

Next morning I head straight to the admiral to report.

Shepherd Isles - Some strange tales. Maybe some gold of truth in the mud of rumour.

Station III - The fire is already lit. Only ashes now remain and it might have caused a lot of trouble. Mr Villien of the Ministry of Public Decency should know. I can be discrete.

Abbey Rock - I categorize it as a military installation.

Cumaean Canal - I went there.

Salt Lions - More information for The Bazaar.

I have 334 echoes now. Dandy.

Back in London I am accosted by a lowly street urchin telling me about his Guv'nor. A Merchant Venturer. Seems if I can bring back certain items I should be able to make a little profit. The guy even passes on vague directions on where the places are.

D25F3503FC6BD43F5911045A727152E0C496E800

Back to the docks, the mysterious crate has arrived. My cargo.

653C6CE4EF8FCB2903B4F8EC61F9CCFDBE1707FB

Unstamped Crate of Brilliant Souls

A crate of exceptional human souls. It has never known the tender touch of the Imperial Customs stamp. Consequently, it cannot be sold on the open market, and I had better not be caught with it.

Cool.

No ship captain is without a few tattoos.

In London I come across Clathermont’s Tattoo Parlour.

I stroll in exuding fake confidene as I had been sailing for years. I reckon the more tattoos I reveal to my sailors with give me more respect. It probably helps with the ladies too. Maybe a little popye one to start with?

EF61E48C0DB971C46A906C1EA8CBB1DEC628CC1B

I go and speak with the Cladery Heir and test how my newly painted tattoo works on the ladies. A live test so to speak. Cladery is sort of beautiful in an older mature way. Like a sexy aunt. Maybe untouchable because of probable incest, but certainly worth poking with a finger.

She’s quick with a scalpel and very accurate when mending wounds. I invite her to dinner.

I wonder how she handles a fork?

9DDD4951B1947C00F16D3A39844486647AD36F19

The cooked flesh arrives in its shell. From the claws, eight legs, body and head, she renders a dozen neat bite-sized piles of shredded flesh, sutured with mushroom.

Hmm – are you also a cook?

Cladery: “My mother was the child of a surgeon in the First City. You might say that knife work runs in the family. "

The she gives me wicked smile.

Cladery: "Then there are rumours about my father. She would deny there’s any truth in those."

Oh – well. I look into her eyes in wonder. Hmm.

It’s late. I hate to propose, cough, impose.

Let’s settle for the night and on the morrow head to Mount Doom or whatever it is called.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom