Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon

boot

Prophet
LPL6LLz.jpg

A Darkest Dungeon playthrough, now on our fourth restart after hitting some turbulence/game breaking bugs.

Playing on Stygian mode with Flagellant and District DLC enabled. Nu-Kodex is a dreary place but we will slog through it and seal the portals or whatever- only, we need men to sign up. Playing with self imposed 'No Firing' rule and using only characters chosen by the forum.

The Usual Suspects: Crusader, Celerity
Highwayman, boot
Plague Doctor, MercantileInterest
Vestal, just janior pretty pretty please.

Signed on:
1. Grimwulf, Man-at-Arms
2. tindrli, Hellion
3. Dayyālu, (Servant) Arbalest
4. MZeta, Occultist
5. Reinhardt, Houndmaster
6. MotherMachinae, (Andrzej) Leper
7. Eriador, Bounty Hunter
8. vazha, (Regina I. Perrin) Antiquarian
9. BrotherFrank, (Sister Francisca) Vestal
10. JagreenLern, Crusader
11. Jason Liang, (Qinalo) Bounty Hunter
12 Storyfag, Grave Robber

Drafted in:

AngryEddy, Abomination
Thor Kaufman, Occultist
RK47, Jester

Special Guest:

Joe

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
Thanks for showing support for our rough pilot episode, but after speaking to producers they feel the show must be canceled. This will now be an AAR.

I just wanted to collect names quickly :M

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
You have no chances to LP this to the end. I know. DD is the best worst game I've ever played, right there with Disciples 2.

Sign me up as Flagellant. Servant is the name, pain is my game.

Can''t guarantee replies, kinda....swarmed at the moment.

boot

Prophet
Celerity failed his Resolution check, men. Pity him. It's ok bro. But there ain't no quittin' the KKK. Your name is on the line so you're in for gud.

Ok, I had more updates, but I was playing without DLC and since men want to be shield breakers and flaggelants... I'll probably restart with all the new stuff.

I can't get shieldbreaker tindrli, reading too much negative stuff about the ambushes. Do you have another class you'd like? Occultist is kebab, too, I believe. Can I set you up with that?

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
If you want basic chances to finish this LP, restart on Radiant.

It's not easier. Merely less grindy. And the Crimson Court is sometimes bullshit central (harder than the DD, methinks) so evaluate carefully if you want the content or just the Flagellant class.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Leper Andrzej reporting to duty.

And basic game is already "balanced" for the Crimson Court DLC, just sayin'...

boot

Prophet
Thank you for participating, heroic men. We will restore glory to Kodex.

I thank you for asking me to consider Radiant mode, Dayaluu, but it is not important to finish. This is about the journey.

vazha

Arcane
Reginald Iolanthe Perrin (RIP) here, sign me up as the most worthless class available. Gimme all funny & witty & self-deprecating lines.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
DD is one of those games i've never been arsed to finish so good luck.

And since i've started shedding my shyness and begun participating a bit moar in lps.. Sign me up as "Sister Francisca", either a vestal or graverobber depending on what's free.

Last edited:

boot

Prophet
Crimson Court is going to be left off. I don't think the game is made much harder, "BLOODLUST" effect on everything just kind of ruins the tone. This game really needed additional content but not this.

...and you can't turn it off once you've turned it on. This save game is all pozzed up. It has been infected, just like my hamlet. I read that flagellant is OP as heck, so I'm just going to leave that off, too. If all the other parts of the DLC are this much of a miss, the class probably is badly balanced.

Dayyālu, would you like to pick another class?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Crimson Court is going to be left off. I don't think the game is made much harder, "BLOODLUST" effect on everything just kind of ruins the tone. This game really needed additional content but not this.

It ain't that bad. If you are masochistic enough to play DD baseline (a mistake I did before "fuck this, Radiant to see the endgame") you'd probably enjoy the CC, it's tuned to oblivion to fuck you up. It's harder than the DD (maybe DD2 is worse, but it's a close thing) and all the enemies are so, so annoying with an insane array of abilities. Lv5 Dungeons in the CC are such a grind, even if I enjoy a lot the visual style of the expansion. The CC needs careful planning, and it's not a good LP choice, I agree.

Dayyālu, would you like to pick another class?

No. I'm gonna do worse. I'm gonna defend the Flagellant as a worthwile class.

You "read" that the Flagellant is OP, the class is "probably" badly balanced? Play it before judging. Loons on the net write crap all the time (Hi, Celerity!). The Flagellant's main strength is mostly from the fact that it straight out ignores , by design, the basic problem of DD's combat system: that's an endurance match stacked against you. The Flagellant gets stronger more damage it gets, and stress does not affect him too much. Its only other strength are the scaling heals, also one way to fight against DD's typical death spiral issues.

The Flagellant has quite some faults, though. It can't get Virtues, and Raptorous isn't as good as it sounds. He is a very mediocre damage dealer in most cases if you don't get him below half HP (and even then, it's not good) and in some dungeons (Cove and Ruins) his main damage thing (Bleeding effects) are kinda useless. Redeem and Exsanguinate have big maluses that can fuck you up if you don't use them as emergency measures or to close a fight. All his camping skills are focused on himself, you don't get the awesome Man At Arms stuff here. Plus it's Religious (no Abominations in teh party) and you can't bring more than one. Furthermore, Shuffle abilities hit him hard, even if not as hard as the Leper.

Good enough? Worthwile of inclusion in your journey of pain and grind?

(and my main Flagellant killed the Countess and got hit by CUYM. I owe the fuck a defense, he was a good pixel man)

tindrli

Arcane
Celerity failed his Resolution check, men. Pity him. It's ok bro. But there ain't no quittin' the KKK. Your name is on the line so you're in for gud.

Ok, I had more updates, but I was playing without DLC and since men want to be shield breakers and flaggelants... I'll probably restart with all the new stuff.

I can't get shieldbreaker tindrli, reading too much negative stuff about the ambushes. Do you have another class you'd like? Occultist is kebab, too, I believe. Can I set you up with that?

Ovultist will do
crap he is allready taken.. will select someone else right now

ok is HEellion taken?

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
My experience after playing 3-4 months ago is that most of the classes are pretty well balanced. Only a couple of them felt inferior (sorry Graverobber!) and some were surprisingly awesome (Abomination). The most OP class might be Antiquarian since she's at worst 80% of a full party member, but the extra haul you get is nuts. Most classes fall somewhere between "mediocre" and "strong."

Dayyālu

Arcane
My experience after playing 3-4 months ago is that most of the classes are pretty well balanced. Only a couple of them felt inferior (sorry Graverobber!) and some were surprisingly awesome (Abomination). The most OP class might be Antiquarian since she's at worst 80% of a full party member, but the extra haul you get is nuts. Most classes fall somewhere between "mediocre" and "strong."

___by_skarabei2211-d9u8aq2.jpg

"You bled on my best coat!"

Don't talk shit about mah Graverobber, she's my kind of girl. Bar the Countess, she was indeed better but hey, giant insectoid abomination

Graverobber is one of my favourites, and this shows how different playstyles reward different classes. I mean, without Graverobber how you deal easily with some bosses like the Cannon? Being a dodge class has its advantages, plus it's very self-reliant and coordinates well with bleeding-causing heroes. On the other hand, I never got much use out of the Abomination due to stress effects and gimmicky mechanics.

See, variety! One thing we can all agree though is that Houndmaster is probably the best class. Self-reliant, great skills, great camping skills, stun, attacks backline, stress removal skills, healing skills, defense skill. Middling damage, but holy shit a HM can do everything. Worst class can be---- maybe Leper. I love his theme, but eh, he can do so little.

One day I should do a rant on why DD is best worst game. It's the opposite of Battle Brothers: while BB has an awesome combat engine glued to a subpar game they refused to improve, DD is a grindy mess that they kept polishing. Maybe it can be the golden definition of a gaming "polished turd": after a while, it's even fun.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I love the Graverobber's quotes and intangibles, and I'll even give her props for bringing along a Shovel, and great camping skills (Gallows Humor is always nice), but I realized that by far the most common way I got party-wiped or have an expedition fail prematurely was when I brought along a Graverobber who gets rocked by untimely crits. I can't really find a place for her; she's bound to get smashed sooner or later if you let her hang out in front, but her skills don't justify taking up a back row spot either, compared to Plague Doctor, Vestal, Occultist or even Arbalest.

So it's funny, Graverobber and Leper are in many ways exact opposites. As long as you are able to keep him in position 1, Leper is solid. Chop, chop. The classes that operate out of position 1- Leper, Crusader, Hellion, Flagellant and Point-Blank Highwayman- Leper does the most efficient work. You are right that Graverobber is important for specific bosses and/or floors of the main dungeon.

If I rated every class from 1-10, pretty much everyone would be 5-8, except Graverobber would be a 4. In tough fights, I just can't see her except as a liability. Still, that's good overall class balance for a game.

Last edited:

Eriador

Arbiter
Know what, make me a Jester or a Bounty Hunter, whichever comes first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom