Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's still 40 levels, though, isn't it? So I guess it still isn't that helpful as it reduces the time of a full clear down from 30ish hours to 15is hours. Absurdly long for a 'repeatable' roguelike.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I never really went back to this after setting it aside over a year ago. I was hoping they'd introduce a 'quick' version like Dredmor had but, alas, nothing.
Actually, such option is in game. It was probably introduced in one of the expansion (Mindgames or Gold). When playing the fastest option you skip 1/2 of levels but get +50% exp. I haven't tried it myself so i don't know if the game is balanced. I guess it becomes even more random on early levels because less floors = less chances to find weapons = you are at the mercy of RNG even more than normal.

There is a special room every 5 levels till 20 where you can drop all uneeded stuff you find like weapons for race you dont play currently. Alternatively you can just drop all your stuff there when you dying of hunger. You have the possibility to start from those rooms and use whatever is in there on top of standard starting equipment. Each room has its own container so if you died of hunger after filling container on level 15 you can continue only from there coz the one at level 20 will be empty.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

I don't know if this is news but i haven't seen this game around here yet.
It's a pretty good roguelike with a lot of different kinds of items, food, ranged and melee weapons, tools, stats, skills, stats and skill checks, traps and trap doors, psi "magic", mutations, consumables, different kinds of ammo, funny character comments, sounds and music. and of course it's turn based.
if anyone knows this game well, please post a few tips and tricks like recipes and uses for some of the more obscure items.

bataille

Arcane
This game has some truly bizarre design choices. The item-destroying door traps are probably the worst offender, with ammo drops distribution lagging pretty far behind.
It'd become playable if the devs changed some of the parts, but right now it's a real exercise in futility.
I'd suggest you play it a bit more, see some of its nightmarish design, scratch your head, wondering why it was made this way, and get to roguelikes that have had some actual thought and consideration put into them.
The presentation is pretty nice, though, which is the lure that leads you into this trap of a game.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I just come here to write that Mecron have place in hell where he will burn for eternity.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
The game is bad and you should feel bad.

Play ToME.
This game has some truly bizarre design choices. The item-destroying door traps are probably the worst offender, with ammo drops distribution lagging pretty far behind.
It'd become playable if the devs changed some of the parts, but right now it's a real exercise in futility.
I'd suggest you play it a bit more, see some of its nightmarish design, scratch your head, wondering why it was made this way, and get to roguelikes that have had some actual thought and consideration put into them.
The presentation is pretty nice, though, which is the lure that leads you into this trap of a game.
I've played tome already.
you can avoid door traps and if you're not a retard you'll have spare weapons and armor.

bataille

Arcane

Play ToME.
you can avoid door traps and if you're not a retard you'll have spare weapons and armor.

If you can't see the problem with a trap that can be mostly ignored (as in disregarding its primary mechanic) by performing a tedious and repetitive action (stripping), then you should go to The Tavern, the forum of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and immerse yourself in one of the subforums on roguelike design. In the last 7 years it's been talked to death at this point.

This particular problem (permanent damage that can be avoided by performing a compulsive action) was present in DCSS in the form of burning scrolls and shattering potions (which has been removed from the game).
And while I am quite strongly pro item destruction in DCSS (burning/shattering comestible and misc. items, mostly), it just doesn't work in a game where items are as rare as equipment in the pit. In DCSS, there was permanent corrosion, but you had a variety of non-compulsory tactics to avoid it or minimize the risk of it affecting your items. And, in the end, many years of brainstorming and a ton of heated discussions later, even corrosion was made temporary (even if much more severe in danger).

All in all, even moderate amount of experience with roguelikes is enough to see how really bad the pit's design is. In the world where analysis this deep
http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/
exists, it's just plain embarrassing.
That being said, I've played around 10 to 15 hours of the pit, and it's pretty interesting and has the sense of wonder, although the good parts get buried under the rabble that are all the 'Ehhh, guess that will do' design decisions.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

Play ToME.

If you can't see the problem with a trap that can be mostly ignored (as in disregarding its primary mechanic) by performing a tedious and repetitive action (stripping), then you should go to The Tavern, the forum of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and immerse yourself in one of the subforums on roguelike design. In the last 7 years it's been talked to death at this point.

This particular problem (permanent damage that can be avoided by performing a compulsive action) was present in DCSS in the form of burning scrolls and shattering potions (which has been removed from the game).
And while I am quite strongly pro item destruction in DCSS (burning/shattering comestible and misc. items, mostly), it just doesn't work in a game where items are as rare as equipment in the pit. In DCSS, there was permanent corrosion, but you had a variety of non-compulsory tactics to avoid it or minimize the risk of it affecting your items. And, in the end, many years of brainstorming and a ton of heated discussions later, even corrosion was made temporary (even if much more severe in danger).

All in all, even moderate amount of experience with roguelikes is enough to see how really bad the pit's design is. In the world where analysis this deep
http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/
exists, it's just plain embarrassing.
That being said, I've played around 10 to 15 hours of the pit, and it's pretty interesting and has the sense of wonder, although the good parts get buried under the rabble that are all the 'Ehhh, guess that will do' design decisions.
the game doesn't need to concern itself with what the player does to save his armor. but even if it's somehow imperative that the game keep you from playing it like a retard there are other ways to keep you from undressing before passing each door than removing the feature. the pit has about 3 turns worth of equipping armor. it should keep you from doing stupid stuff at least with enemies around.
that DCSS removed a feature like exploding potions doesn't surprise me at all since it's becoming ever more mainstream. it's gotten to the point that you can't start a fire under a tree with conjure flame. DCSS is dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom