Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iznaliu

Arbiter
This shit is depressing

What else did you expect with a studio bound to unrealistic expectations because they released a breakout hit?
Team clearly split into 3 minds on how they should handle Cyberpunk's systems - probably shock after a narrow character arch like The Witcher's "One class, one dude" and making a trilogy from that.

Team A."Ok, we cover as many character classes/skills from Cyberpunk V3 as possible, to create the ultimate single player CRPG - this is going to be bigger than anything we've ever done. We will be setting a new standard with the replayability here."
Team B. "What?! That will take too long, we do a single-character arch like Geralt's, you just play as a Cop, but you can specialize...like we did with Witcher..."
Team C."That game exists, it's called Deus Ex. No. This is Cyberpunk. The only way to do it justice is to have your friends there as well, playing many different roles, just like the tabletop! Cyberpunk Online!"

Now...
WE'RE NOT E.A! PROMISE! EVERYTHING IS FINE! WANNA WORK FOR US?!

trump-nuke.jpg

I think you are reading too much into the situation; I think the online/MP controversy is unlikely to be connected to any single-character plot. However, if there is a multiplayer element, a single character would be unlikely for fairly obvious reasons, so only one of the two controversies can be ongoing right now.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Once upon the time...

Jonric: To begin with, how would you summarize Morrowind for fans of past Elder Scrolls games? And how would you introduce it to newer CRPG fans who aren't familiar with the others?
Todd Howard: Morrowind is the third installment of The Elder Scrolls, following Arena and Daggerfall. It's huge, open ended, pure RPG goodness. The classic TES game is single-player, first person, has some elements of action; you get to run around and swing the sword yourself. The goal of every TES game is to create something that resembles a pen and paper RPG on the computer. Our main goal has always been to make the world as real as possible and let the player do what they want, when they want. There is a main quest, but you really don't have to follow it. The whole point of the game is to role-play the character you want, and do the things you want.
I don't get it. There's nothing there that he wouldn't say about Fallout-with-swords or Skyrim-with-guns. He has a radically different idea of what the core experience of playing P&P RPG is compared to KotC or ToEE fans, and he explains exactly how in the very next sentences you helpfully quoted.
Jonric: What do you consider the core, untouchable design elements of the earlier Elder Scrolls titles that set them apart from other games?

Todd Howard: Free-form experience. Even Redguard, which was an adventure game, was big and non-linear. Every TES game has to let you create the kind of character you want, and then do the things you want. We would never have a TES RPG force you to be a certain character or go down a certain path. Daggerfall's character system is awesome. We love it. There have been some changes to it for Morrowind, but the essence remains intact. Big game world is another. The world has to be big enough to allow lots of side-adventures and player exploration. Guilds became a big part of Daggerfall, and that's something we're looking to make even better.

Things can change slightly over years, it seems. Let's see if CD Projekt Red is an exception to the rule...
I fail to see how Skyrim forces you to be a certain character or go down a certain path any more than Morrowind, and while the character system is streamlined (well, they did add skill trees to every skill) I certainly think you can make a case that what Todd Howard regards as the "essence" remains intact.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I think you are reading too much into the situation; I think the online/MP controversy is unlikely to be connected to any single-character plot.
Not the focus, was pointing out how they shot down the rumours of micro-transactions/MMO-elements - yet silently avoided the "core people leaving on bad terms". Starting to look like everyone is jumping ship quietly, Adam is trying to leave it un-scarred, before "Kazinski" and whomever else turn it into Gearbox Euro. Wouldn't want to sign over a label as it's being compared to E.A, would we? Haha.

Not all bad though, seeing niche projects from ex-devs is a good sign, more competition/ideas = (2015) Seven is a Thief-inspired RPG from former Witcher 3 devs. - So, they left in 2015 to take their chances with a "Thief-Inspired-Isometric-RPG"....over 100m+ in funding and Cyberpunk?

I'm excited for Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
and Cyberpunk?

I'm excited for Cyberpunk.

Why would you say you're excited for Cyberpunk after giving a largely negative view of CDPR's development environment and future pathway? Would you say that those aren't actually that important in the making of Cyberpunk 2077 right now?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Why would you say you're excited for Cyberpunk after giving a largely negative view of CDPR's development environment and future pathway?
Sarcasm? (Sorry if you're from East-Euro-Bloc-C0M7245)

Ok, jokes aside - it's not a good sign when a previously tight-nit studio shows signs of an internal shift - Bioware is the perfect example.

Would you say that those aren't actually that important in the making of Cyberpunk 2077 right now?

There is no smoke without fire. This is a company who began by localising foreign titles like Piranha Bytes' Gothic series, into Polish - then became a major name the AAA market with a local I.P no one had heard of. The rumors are likely true because the people who started the family restaurant are watching it turn into McDonalds.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Ok, jokes aside - it's not a good sign when a previously tight-nit studio shows signs of an internal shift - Bioware is the perfect example.

I would actually argue that it's almost inevitable at a certain point once the studio becomes successful.

Quillon

Arcane
previously tight-nit studio

What makes you think that? Were you not around for pre W2 drama?
It's painfully obvious a lot of these retards running around screaming only learned about CDPR after W3. CDPR has almost fucking died like twice. This is old hat at this point.

Those pre-2012 problems were business related AFAIK, not like these recent Adam B. rumors.

Honestly I couldn't care less about how they treat their employees/how they make games as long as they make good games :P

For me to restore hope in them and get hyped again, they need to at least say that the game will have -close to rulebook- number of classes and blank-slate main character. A deus ex style game would be a huge disappointment, or GTA style...I never expected directly controlled vehicles for this game :/

Danikas

Arcane
previously tight-nit studio

It's painfully obvious a lot of these retards running around screaming only learned about CDPR after W3. CDPR has almost fucking died like twice. This is old hat at this point.

Those pre-2012 problems were business related AFAIK, not like these recent Adam B. rumors.

Honestly I couldn't care less about how they treat their employees/how they make games as long as they make good games :P

For me to restore hope in them and get hyped again, they need to at least say that the game will have -close to rulebook- number of classes and blank-slate main character. A deus ex style game would be a huge disappointment, or GTA style...I never expected directly controlled vehicles for this game :/
Game takes place in Night city, please tell me how to depict future megalopolis without vehicles.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Gerrard

Arcane
What a shame.

Quillon

Arcane
Game takes place in Night city, please tell me how to depict future megalopolis without vehicles.

Get in a vehicle and choose a destination I guess, otherwise if directly controlled; get in a vehicle and run over people half the time, fuck that shit :P

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Ok, forgetting that Poland is a very reserved country, for reasons I shouldn't need to explain - CDPR were PC exclusive for a long time and that immediately letterboxed their product/company coverage - W2 on xb brought them well some rounded mainstream success IIRC, but that was a full year after it was largely looked at as some "Graphically Intense PC Rich-Boy Game" not many people bought it (west has been largely console gamers).

I used to ignore a lot of the articles on them as a company, because they always packaged cool documentaries/concept art with their boxed sets anyway. And there was always a pattern of critics just going for Sapkowski as a "plagiarist", which became very boring and stupid to listen to.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They were hiring people with expertise in 3D vehicle modelling and physics, jus sayin.

Also, you need to curb your enthusiasm with respect to full set of character classes. I wish I'm wrong, but highly unlikely.

Quillon

Arcane
Also, you need to curb your enthusiasm

I've not been feeling enthusiastic about this game for a while now.

They are so proud of calling themselves innovative and shit and they've already done pre-defined char + no classes/gender choice. I believe my expectations are on par with RPG redefiners, even tho I too doubt if they are capable and the news aren't encouraging.

Quillon

Arcane
business related

That is an incredibly vague term that can be used to arbitrarily shove an arbitrary number of problems off to the side.

They made a bad business decision with outsourcing Witcher 1 console port to an incapable dev. Forgot about the second time they were in danger but I believe it was business related also unlike now; they are prolly in good shape on the money front.

Sentinel

Arcane
I remember Marcin Iwinski talking about them almost going under during the world market crisis period.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Interesting, so in the yongyea video there was a large part that was pretty much a hitjob on Adam Badowski, but in the video that Madqueen did, claiming she spoke with over 40 devs, she says the exact opposite, that Badowski has clear vision but some of the middle managers don't follow it as they should

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxnaAL3BNE4

Quillon

Arcane
Interesting, so in the yongyea video there was a large part that was pretty much a hitjob on Adam Badowski, but in the video that Madqueen did, claiming she spoke with over 40 devs, she says the exact opposite, that Badowski has clear vision but some of the middle managers don't follow it as they should

In the yongyea vid its also said that there are people who suck up to Badowski :D

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

you're disgusting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom