Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment So is Tides of Numenera actually worth a damn?

In KotOR 2 it makes perfect sense for you to strife to be either good Jedi or good Sith. Normal person would be a shit Jedi and shit Sith. But IRL game worthy Shepard would look like a madman who regards every issue in the same way, either everything makes him angry or nothing does.

The issue is that leaves no room for effective decision-making; you always pick the decision that is either totally selfish or totally selfless; they might of as well just made the decisions for you.

You can pick neutral answers or even balance them and RP game as grey/fallen Yedi instead; choices and consequences in this case not being allowed to take YEDI/SITH prestige classes.
agree. In fact the issue is that the role of a grey jedi wasn't fleshed enough. But I think it was due to the fact that if you were able to be a grey jedi, they had to articulate and write more dialogues from kreia. And that would have been extremely hard, especially considering that when she asks you the questions right after the meeting with the jedi, you seem unable to give her a decent statement that can make you roleplay the way you think.

Also, when it comes to good and evil, Kotor is not so straightforward as you imply. Vaklu is a perfect quest where you could help him for a moltitude of reasons.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In KotOR 2 it makes perfect sense for you to strife to be either good Jedi or good Sith. Normal person would be a shit Jedi and shit Sith. But IRL game worthy Shepard would look like a madman who regards every issue in the same way, either everything makes him angry or nothing does.

The issue is that leaves no room for effective decision-making; you always pick the decision that is either totally selfish or totally selfless; they might of as well just made the decisions for you.

You can pick neutral answers or even balance them and RP game as grey/fallen Yedi instead; choices and consequences in this case not being allowed to take YEDI/SITH prestige classes.
agree. In fact the issue is that the role of a grey jedi wasn't fleshed enough. But I think it was due to the fact that if you were able to be a grey jedi, they had to articulate and write more dialogues from kreia. And that would have been extremely hard, especially considering that when she asks you the questions, you seem unable to give her a decent statement that can make you roleplay the way you think.

Also, when it comes to good and evil, Kotor is not so straightforward as you imply. Vaklu is a perfect quest where you could help him for a moltitude of reasons.

You implore I see Yedi as Good and Sith as Bad Comrade? Vaklu and Czerka are clean cut better choices unless you are Hippy/Globalist scum and you can aid the settlers too even playing as Sith for reasons you add another stable agri-world to the sector of space you are going to conquer later and you got even huge ass statue for this. :positive:Its not like they will be able to resist proper military invasion or something while aiding mercs gives you what? planet full of nomadic Barbarians.... Valid choice of course but for WH40K not SW universe.

He is just a nationalist looking to do what's best for onderon, and if that means cleansing queen talia, good.

To be honest the question that arised now in my mind is: does Kreia tells you in the game's ending, after choosing Vaklu, that Onderon will have a good standing in the future?

Roderick

Savant
it's kind of sad that it seems so mediocre, despite not having huge expectations, maybe someday I'll give it a try though.

Guess I should prioritize playing Tyranny over this

2house2fly

Magister
He is just a nationalist looking to do what's best for onderon, and if that means cleansing queen talia, good.

To be honest the question that arised now in my mind is: does Kreia tells you in the game's ending, after choosing Vaklu, that Onderon will have a good standing in the future?
As I recall, Onderon does well under Talia but loses its identity as it gets absorbed into the Republic, under Vaklu it doesn't do as well but retains its uniqueness

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is real shame thou,the game had some potential,only if the writing was good and there was more gameplay and if the encounter system didn't such balls. Still,well drawn levels.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It is real shame thou,the game had some potential,only if the writing was good and there was more gameplay and if the encounter system didn't such balls. Still,well drawn levels.

Why don't you just use them as desktop wallpapers and forget that there was ever a game called T:ToN?

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
The levels aren't that good. They're thematically inconsistent. I understand it was the point - ninth world and all that jazz. Still when I look at those maps I see random stuff, not ruins of past civilizations adapted to be barns. It's not an amalgama of styles, it's lack of any style.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The levels aren't that good. They're thematically inconsistent. I understand it was the point - ninth world and all that jazz. Still when I look at those maps I see random stuff, not ruins of past civilizations adapted to be barns. It's not an amalgama of styles, it's lack of any style.

I think fantadomat might have meant that they were good looking when taken individually, devoid of any external context and clues that they are supposed to go together.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I think fantadomat might have meant that they were good looking when taken individually, devoid of any external context and clues that they are supposed to go together.

Even so I'm not seeing this.

Look at those screens. They look like lifeless crisp 3D world. Maybe the last one, on a spaceship, is OK - but mostly because you expect spaceships to be clean and boring. All the other places - like this one look like they're cheap theater decoration made yesterday, not something that was there for millennia.
caravanserai.jpg

And the color scheme is all over the place, it is like there's no lighting on most of those pictures. And, again, they're inconsistent. On the same screen you have airships, ancient-looking brick buildings (on top of the mountain, yeah), sci-fi thing on rocks, biological thing in the distance. This looks like an old meme.

Look at similar place from Tyranny.
screenshot13.png

Just look at this picture, it's a freaking art compared to previous, lifeless one. Those buildings look older and more lived in than those ruins of ancient civilizations on a previous screenshots. You can see wooden structures build around stone buildings, some walls are broken, there's stuff laying on the streets, and it's not all dusty brown. It's an interesting place even though there's nothing on it apart from some buildings. Numenera shows me ancient artifacts and strange technology on the same screen and it all looks more boring and artificial than barrels and boulders in Tyranny.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I'd say ToEE looks almost as good as Tyranny, though it's probably lower res. And much better than Numenera.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the thing that puts ToEE massively head and shouldvers over most isometric RPGs (aside from its impeccable adaptation of D&D mechanics) is the soundtrack.

I'm the first one to call ToEE "art", but if you take away the amazing music from Homlett it loses 90% of its appeal.

imweasel

^
Well, D:OS 2 isn't so good...

but write that T:ToN is better than Planescape: Torment. I dare you. :cool:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Let me tell you a sad little tale about Blaine and T:ToN.

• T:ToN is announced and pitched. A Torment successor, by Fargo's company? I pledged $500 on the spot.
  • The RTwP vs. turn-based poll goes up. I vow to double my pledge if TB is chosen. It is, so I double my pledge to $1,000.
  • The development team roster begins to emerge. I research many of them, and learn that some of them have a strong background in SJWing and hack not-really-game-development/fan fiction-tier "experience." Uh-oh.
  • A bunch of them donate money to Anita Sarkeesian, and also to that scam artist running a gender-baiting Kickstarter to fund her 10-year-old daughter to "develop" a "game." No.
  • Wasteland 2 is released. It's mediocre garbage. Oh no.
  • The backer early alphas are released on Steam. Oh no, not like this. Please, not like this.
  • The game is finally released. RIP

Time was, I considered Fargo to be a god among dweebs... now I try to never think about him or inXile at all.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even Gods must fall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom