Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah this is one reason I'm not tempted to buy Nioh. From the LPs I love the combat and like the setting too but the weaponized spergtronic loot system is a complete put off. When I saw some high-level decking guides for the Way of the Strong and Way of the Demon with hours upon hours of grinding, farming, crafting, reforging and tempering I realized Nioh is not for me. This is no feudal Japan Dark Souls, despite some superficial similarities it's a very, very different game inside.

Yes, I felt like this right at the start of playing and I can see how from this thread and watching gameplay that you could be put off by the loot confetti. However, in actual gameplay it doesn't slow things down hardly at all. All the consumables go into their own list and get moved to the storehouse if the local inventory is full, so you don't have to worry about them and they're always there if you need them. The weapons and armour are a matter of a minute maybe to sort out after a mission and it's just a case of finding out if there's an upgrade to the weapon/armour set of your choice, any weapons that have decent inheritable stats and all the rest get marked for disassembly or sale, depending on your needs.

Ok this is what I wanted to know - if you have to constantly sperg about 1% to damage of this and 0,3% to defense of that. Coz I hate that.

I will get Nioh sooner or later, I'll probably wait for the first sale. Problem is I'll finally have to get a controller too. I've been putting it off coz I'm dreading the learning curve. I have never, and I stress never, played a game with a controller in my life (except maybe the old Atari games when I was like 10). I guess if other people learned I will learn too, I just hope it won't take weeks until I'm comfortable to play Souls-likes with a controller.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Even after probably 10 years of using a controller on and off, aiming arrows/ guns etc with the right stick feels pretty shit. Don't expect to be popping headshots with your bow straight away, but it does get better. Everything else will come easily, but distance aiming is totally different with a controller. The best tip I found is to line it up more or less with the right stick and then make small adjustments with the left stick to move the character, which is usually easier to control.

jungl

Augur
i havent played dark souls in over 5 years on my 360 so my memory is foggy. What nice about dark souls you can actually control building your guy tanky with life and heavy armor or lighter build. Nioh you a poor bum that throws on whatever armor piece has the highest def stat to stop the enemies from raping you.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
I will get Nioh sooner or later, I'll probably wait for the first sale. Problem is I'll finally have to get a controller too. I've been putting it off coz I'm dreading the learning curve. I have never, and I stress never, played a game with a controller in my life (except maybe the old Atari games when I was like 10). I guess if other people learned I will learn too, I just hope it won't take weeks until I'm comfortable to play Souls-likes with a controller.
It's pretty intuitive for games like this, TBH. Sure, you don't get the precise inputs like you would with a mouse, but neither do you really need them in Nioh or any other console action games. Heck, the more button-mashy action games are a torture to play without a controller (e.g. the Devil May Cry series).

i havent played dark souls in over 5 years on my 360 so my memory is foggy. What nice about dark souls you can actually control building your guy tanky with life and heavy armor or lighter build. Nioh you a poor bum that throws on whatever armor piece has the highest def stat to stop the enemies from raping you.
Or you grow some balls and learn to dodge :positive:

jungl

Augur
nothing matters in nioh slap on highest defense gear, strong style odachi kills everything in the game. The weapon and moveset variety sucks ass compared to souls games despite the addition of "skills". Combat has slighty more depth then a fucking beat em up game. The game has an illusion of depth with all numbers on gear.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ogress down on the first try. First 'proper' boss to do that to, if you don't count Kelley disguised as the samurai lord one.

Related news: Sloth Talismans seem ridiculously OP.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Mouse control and customizable keybiding patch is coming: http://steamcommunity.com/games/485510/announcements/detail/1464096684952531939

Upcoming Update Information 1.21.03 (11/27/2017)

※This update is planned to be implemented on November 30th(JST).

The next update, Version 1.21.03, will feature the following:

- Added camera/action controls for mice.

- Added customizable key bindings for keyboards.

- Fixed an issue with analogue stick sensitivity.

- Fixed an issue that would occasionally cause an error to occur when matchmaking at Torii Gates.

- Fixed other miscellaneous bugs.

###

Patch is out. And sounds like, surprisingly, it's pretty well implemented except there are still no keyboard/mouse icons: http://steamcommunity.com/app/485510/discussions/0/1488866813756913800/

But apparently it also messed up some people's controller connection: http://steamcommunity.com/app/485510/discussions/0/1488866813756812301/

Emmanuel2

Savant
Farming Marobashi WotN by Just-frame guarding everything feels pretty awesome. Can be done in 1:30, 5 Billion base Amrita + pretty good ethereal rate.

Then tried farming Hyakki Yagyo with the same set FeelsBadMan. (and that everything is a ton tankier than in WotW). Very Doable but not farmable pretty much because of the giant spider spawn when Weeb-Queelag's health is at 50-60% and Hundred Eyes must have 5x more health compared to WotW.

60+ hours overall played, 30+ Abyss, and farmed up WotN ethereal (+40) gear and still the DLC human bosses are a fucking bitch to fight without relying on cheese like Paralytic groundfire, LW crutch, Sloths (which are basically 1-2 second in duration at this point), etc.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'm in the Iga Escape mission and bored of the game. The levels are just too samey.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game started to feel easy after I "master" single sword and axe. Revenants barely touch me now while I axe them to oblivion and chopping everything else with sword is satisfiying. Still can't get the timing on Iei (?) most of the time though.
Bosses are especially become easy after the first area. I only died once to Ogress and that's because I forgot to get last kodama and didn't want to replay that map.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
I get cocky using it and get hit in middle of animation. Funny thing is I get the Sword of meditation timing almost perfectly.
Loving the martial arts in this game <3

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Naah, sword is nice but my favorite is still the axe. Rampage and chop are awesome skills.
Still loking for a good axe or a decent set.Nat a fan of Raging Bull (?)

bert

Arcane
Playing Nioh for the first time. I've been rolling with a Kusarigama/Bow/Handcannon as my weapons and I use both Ninjutsu and Omnyo. Do I need to worry about gear sets for my first playthrough or should I just go with whatever loot drops? I'm at something like 20 Dex & Magic, 11 Spirit and 7 Body. Is Spirit worth investing more in for the Guardian bonus stat unlocks? I think my Body might be too low. I use light armor cause I'm a ninja irl and medium/heavy armor is for bitches

I'm also in the Kinki region, just beat the spider lady.

bert

Arcane
Get the Iga armor set if you're going to focus on ninjutsu. The smithing text is a drop in the adept ninja dojo mission.

I mostly use close attacks and use Ninjutsu for the free throwing items/pot resists when I need to.

Is Spirit worth investing more in for the Guardian bonus stat unlocks?
Yes.
I think my Body might be too low.
It's ok. You just need heavy armor. :troll:

gross :lol:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I ended up focusing on a ninjitsu/kusarigama build and all boss fights have been trivial. I can beat most on first try by just hitting them with sloth, then throwing every blade based throwable I have in their faces. Many bosses will stun lock if you thrown all 21 of your kunai in their faces, then follow it up with all 15 of your storm kunai. After that, you just activate your living blade and finish them off.

Basic human bosses like Hatori Honso are the hardest in this game, because unlike the larger bosses, they tend to block basic ninjitsu attacks so they can't be stun locked.

And, yeah, Iga is awesome with ninjitsu, but you need the full set (including the kusarigama and katana) to get the full ninjitsu perk. I have a full set, but I don't have the smithing texts, which kind of sucks. So I have to re-soul forge everything ever few levels.

For what it's worth, I'm a total min/max build. My body and stamina are well under 10 (6 or 7, I think). My dex is in the 40s, Magic 20, and Spirit 30. My remaining points are in Skill, mostly just to get the needed Samauri skill points to upgrade the Kusarigama. I honestly don't notice the lack of body/stamina. Iga armor is so light you can maintain an A agility, even without investing in stamina. I can get one shotted by enemies with axes, but they are easy to avoid so I'm not too worried about upping my HP.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
Also, Soulsfags, don't make the same mistake I did. This game only superficially resembles Dark Souls. This is not Dark Souls. Play it like Dark Souls and you're in for a world of hurt. Master the Ki pulse. Experiment with the stances and see what works best in which situation. Make use of your goddamned weapon skills. Put at least 20 points into magic and dexterity so you can learn Ninjutsu and Magic no matter what type of build you want to go for. You can unlock another 2 sets of item shortcuts from the blacksmith for all your items. Don't forget what the tutorial thought you and use the Living Weapon when you're in deep shit. You're invulnerable while it's active and you deal a fuckton more damage with it on. And, above all, block dammit, block. Blocking is a life saver and you're going to die a lot more if you insist only on dodging.

A little bit late, but thanks so much for this post. I was getting bored with the game, playing with a sword and - of course - one stance only. Did a respec, but 20 magic and 20 dex, switched to dual swords and started playing with stances, and it's totally different experience now. The game still has some issues, but it's much more enjoyable now.

I was surprised how easy it was to beat Yuki Onna with fire buffed dual swords. Best boss for me until now, in terms of presentation, atmosphere etc.

But, to keep everything in order, I needed 40+ tries to beat this f.king flying cat in next mission. It was driving me crazy, sometimes he was so aggressive and unpredictable with double-rush, 3x claw hit or something else, it was really annoying. What was driving me nuts is not being able to dodge after his first claw attach (out of 3) hit me. As soon as it landed, I was not able to dodge, which basically meant OHKO after one mistake. Not sure if this is intended or I'm missing something, more toughness? But this would make light builds crazy hard, so not sure.

cruel

Cipher
Hm, I've tried blocking all 3 hits, and was running out of Ki after his second hit. Didn't thought about mixing failed dodge with block, will try that, thanks.

I just hope that the Bosses following the cat won't be such an extreme reflex test (knowing my luck they will be exactly that and worse).

cruel

Cipher
I am using Sign of the Cross on static / surprised enemies. I'm not comfortable / good enough to time it properly in the middle of intense boss fight unfortunately. Sometimes I feel I'm too old for this game, being 30 it's hard to imagine what will I say in +10 years.

Also,I feel that playing all the Souls games before this makes the Nioh harder. It's soooo hard to actually block a boss or sprint away instead of dodging, while all your instincts are telling you to do otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom