Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

fifaorgta.jpg

fifaorfallout.jpg

The moment FIFA has about the same roleplaying elements as Fallout has arrived ladies and gentlemen. Yup. Thank you Bethesda.

Sounds like it has more depth than how it works in Bethesda Fallout.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Agree, but I can't say they are incompetent.
I think the case is in restriction they lifted (right?) on themselfs because of catering to huge crowd and race for the money.
That goal is what kill all real creativity in the bud, without even allowing it to develop.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
FIFA? I'm about Fallout 4 from Bespezda, Horizon is a best mod at that time, large-scale and maintained while every other big mods I chacked were abandoned lol.
He solvd many problems with game, while add very littl of its own.
To master this mod you'll need a day - read all articles that author wrote, about changes mod brings, then installation. At least for me it was full day.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

fo4 modding is a disaster also with all this creation club fiasco modding toned down since each patch was breaking stuff

fo4 can't even hope to be saved by mod the game is awful even worse than skyrim

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Any good mods out yet? Or everyone pretty much bailed on this POS?

Not sure what to say on this one. You mean mods that fix the awful content and actually give you a good storyline and RPG experience, then no.
There are some total conversion in progress with one of them at least trying to bring the RPG mechanics of Fallout New Vegas back but you know how it usually goes with those ambitious fan projects, so I would not have big hopes about those.

I don't know how Bethesda's Creation Club has affected the fan community as I don't care about Fallout 4 but I think a lot of modders who do more than just creating loot houses and cosmetic stuff have moved on to better places.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I've tried Fallout 4 Survival mode. Got to level 11. Died couple of times, lost a lot of progress.

I adore the idea. I believe that Iron Man is the perfect setup for singleplayer games. But most games don't work well with Iron Man: XCOM allows you to unknowingly shoot yourself in the leg early and you learn about it 20 hours later. Something like Dark Souls works well: you have a real loss if you die but at worst you're just not making progress.

Of course respawning wouldn't work in F4 thematically but playing this makes me wish for some better game with similar meditative system. This mode makes settlement building a real thing because you need a place to store stuff and sleep; and you have to develop settlements to create a net of supply lines. There is something in here.

Still UI is bad, inventory management is horrible and this whole legendary system is idiotic. There are also gameplay things that don't work in this mode such as traps - a single misstep can erase an hour of your progress.

It reminds me of good old systemic RPGs. Like Space Rangers. It wasn't Iron Man but you had to make the space more liveable by liberating planets, raising reputation, making friends. Kinda perfect RPG with all the C&C you may want. Fallout 4 with survival looks like the closest they came to Daggerfall by forcing you to interact with the world.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I adore the idea. I believe that Iron Man is the perfect setup for singleplayer games

The reason why it's a good idea is because it was originally Obsidian's idea; a surprising number of Bethesda's good ideas aren't actually theirs.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Never heard Obsidian planning on doing that.

I'm talking not about eating and drinking and sleeping (it isn't that good) but about single save file thing. Obsidian didn't have that. Also Bethesda added that thing with Adrenalin - so when you kill dudes you get bonus damage which disappears after you sleep (and thus save). But if you don't sleep you get tired and can't use VATS and run and so on.

Still it's mitigated by the ability of the game to just crash to desktop or kill me with a cardboard box because physics. Dark Souls, for example, had never betrayed me like that, and anyway they have constant unintrusive autosave because the whole game is made with iron man in mind.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Also Bethesda added that thing with Adrenalin - so when you kill dudes you get bonus damage which disappears after you sleep (and thus save

That sounds like a gimmick they tacked on, not a part of the "survival experience"; the game would probably be better without it.

MrEvilGuy

Educated
tldr; someone provide a list of mods that they use to make this game playable - not single suggestions like in previous posts.

Fallout 4 is shit. Yes. I would never touch it. However, I just got VR and it might be worth checking out, since I don’t know of any other RPG-like games on VR. The commenter a couple pages back said something about how you can already play it in VR via Vorpx, but Vorpx usually just lets you do ‘VR tours’ in games rather than actually playing them properly. The official version in contrast might have decent immersion factors with hand tracking/pipboy use/not having to use keyboard to get around.

So can someone who plays it please give me a list of decent mods to make it playable?

I don’t want to browse through 100s of pages here looking for suggestions.

Side note: Not sure what the views on VR are here at the codex, but I purchased VR mainly for Soviet flying sims like IL2. Figured I might as well try some of this American trash while I’m at it.:mrpresident:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You see, that "list" is useless.
The core of the mod list is some mod that do massive gameplay changes.
For F4 there are less of them than fingers on one hand, those who still in work and not abandoned.
So, the core mode I already said about, the other mods I havw - they just used for perfomance and stability improvement.
And if you got VR your sytem is probably strong enough adn you don't need it.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
This game is complete fucking shit. WHY do people still want to play this??
It makes the brain feel good as it's a constant flow of dopamine that makes you want to keep playing in a basic shoot > loot > sell > buy > build cycle. The fact that people call it an RPG is frankly insulting because at most it is a open world shooter with some quests if you can call them that. I'm kinda amazed that Bethesda managed to get away with it but they actually got a lot of shit for Fallout 4 and plenty of people realized how shit it actually was and are nostalgic for Fallout: New Vegas now because it was the better game. I think Bethesda will hit new lows with TES 6: Skyrim 2 and go all out with the creation club bullshit. It will probably be the biggest non-RPG Bethesda has ever made and I'll still pirate it because I have with all their games. It's amazing I even managed to complete FO4 but after I did I just quit and uninstalled a week later because I knew there was nothing worth looking for in the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom