Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metro Exodus Enhanced - out of the metro tunnels and back on Steam

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Only announcement so far to really surprise me. Yeah, I'm not really keen on open world but who knows. Maybe 4A Games won't just follow the Ubisoft formula.

I'm guessing this one will be set after the Metro 2035 novel (which ends in the surface), in the same way that Last Light was set between Metro 2033 and Metro 2034 (btw, Metro 2035 is a fantastic novel, and you won't see Metro 2034 the same way after reading it).

I was not impressed with the Metro videogames so far, though. They make Artyom into a killing machine, quite the opposite as in the novels, where when push really comes to shove he can kill, but he's usually the witness rather than the perpetrator. They also lack a lot of the charm the novels have.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steam page:

The year is 2036.

A quarter-century after nuclear war devastated the earth, a few thousand survivors still cling to existence beneath the ruins of Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro.

They have struggled against the poisoned elements, fought mutated beasts and paranormal horrors, and suffered the flames of civil war.
But now, as Artyom, you must flee the Metro and lead a band of Spartan Rangers on an incredible, continent-spanning journey across post-apocalyptic Russia in search of a new life in the East.

Metro Exodus is an epic, story-driven first person shooter from 4A Games that blends deadly combat and stealth with exploration and survival horror in one of the most immersive game worlds ever created.

Explore the Russian wilderness across vast, non-linear levels and follow a thrilling story-line that spans an entire year through spring, summer and autumn to the depths of nuclear winter.

Inspired by the novels of Dmitry Glukhovsky, Metro Exodus continues Artyom’s story in the greatest Metro adventure yet.

Features:
  • Embark on an incredible journey - board the Aurora, a heavily modified steam locomotive, and join a handful of survivors as they search for a new life in the East
  • Experience Sandbox Survival - a gripping story links together classic Metro gameplay with new huge, non-linear levels
  • A beautiful, hostile world - discover the post-apocalyptic Russian wilderness, brought to life with stunning day / night cycles and dynamic weather
  • Deadly combat and stealth – scavenge and craft in the field to customize your arsenal of hand-made weaponry, and engage human and mutant foes in thrilling tactical combat
  • Your choices determine your comrades’ fate - not all your companions will survive the journey; your decisions have consequence in a gripping storyline that offers massive re-playability
  • The ultimate in atmosphere and immersion - a flickering candle in the darkness; a ragged gasp as your gasmask frosts over; the howl of a mutant on the night wind - Metro will immerse and terrify you like no other game…

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/metro-exodus/metro-exodus-day-night-train-air-filter

Metro Exodus has a day/night cycle, a train base, and those gas mask filters are back

Metro%20Exodus%20monster.jpg

Metro Exodus was one of the nice surprises of the Microsoft E3 conference, and it left us with plenty of questions. Desperate for answers, we spoke to developer 4A Games, who told us what to expect in regards to the day/night cycle, the game’s AI, your train homebase, and if gas mask filters will be making a comeback.

The first thing you may have noticed about Exodus is that it’s less linear than before, with much wider environments. With that comes a less scripted world, and a day/night cycle to emphasise the living, breathing nature of apocalyptic Russia. “We specifically have a day/night cycle,” executive producer Jon Bloch tells us. “We’ll go into specifics later about how it affects gameplay, but it looks really pretty.” From that bit of info, we’re expecting things to go bump in the night (and worse) when it gets dark.

It’s not just monsters you need to worry about. Once again you’ll be able to die at the hands of toxic air. Thankfully, those trusty air filters for your gas mask are making a return. “They’re still there, it’s still very much a part of the game,” says Bloch. “The big change is that there are now areas above ground where you don’t need the mask, as seen in the trailer, but there are areas where you still need it. The mechanics are still definitely there. We wanted to make sure we kept the core elements that make Metro Metro.”

The new, larger above ground areas posed the team at 4A a few challenges. “A lot of work was done with AI because just scripted events like in previous games doesn’t work for open locations,” explains Andriy 'Prof' Prokhorov, creative director on the game. The solution was a biome system that sees the game’s creatures programmed with AI that reacts to their location.

“It’s a lot more dynamic feeling,” says Bloch. “In the previous game you’d come into a room and it looks like you’re going to fight something in there. In Exodus there are areas where certain creatures will live, but they’re wandering around as they’re AI driven.”

You’ll have noticed that the gameplay trailer (which 4A confirm to us is genuine real time gameplay) concludes with a steam train roaring along a track. The train will be a key element in Exodus, acting as a vehicle to carry forward the player through the world and story.

“You keep returning to [the train] between the linear and non-linear levels,” reveals Bloch. “It’s the vehicle that carries you through the story both literally and figuratively.”

“I would say it is an analogue of peaceful stations in the previous games,” notes Prokhorov, since the train will be home to you and your group of allies.

Metro Exodus will release in 2018.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
A train is on rails just like these games even they subconsciously can't help but make rail and train tracks important feature. Metro games are trash and generic low effort attempts to cash in on an original and successful series that never made it to console

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
This series could be good if they stopped aping Call of Duty at every turn. I've only played the first game, but the distinct Eastern European sloppiness was by far the best thing about it. There probably was a pretty fun game underneath it all, but for some reason the devs decided that it needed to have regenerating health, cinematic first-person cutscenes, sripted events, QTEs, epic turret sections and all the other terrible things that have plagued nearly every shooter for more than a decade now. Goddamn sellouts.

The trailer is just one long cinematic first-person cutscene, so it seems like they haven't learned a thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Metro returns with Exodus. We sit down with Jon Bloch and Andriy "Prof" Prokhorov as they discuss the world structure of Metro Exodus and the premise for the third entry.

A train is on rails just like these games even they subconsciously can't help but make rail and train tracks important feature. Metro games are trash and generic low effort attempts to cash in on an original and successful series that never made it to console
Both Metro games got console releases, you know.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Yes I do know. You just don't know the series I was talking about at the end.

My avatar alone should tell everyone that I know what I'm talking about. Don't question me please it's easier that way

Last edited:

Keppo

Arbiter
This is good topic to ask important question.

Should i play METRO 2033 & LAST LIGHT ORIGINAL OR REDUX VERSIONS?

This is good topic to ask important question.

Should i play METRO 2033 & LAST LIGHT ORIGINAL OR REDUX VERSIONS?

Personally, I'd just skip it, read the book and play Last Light, which shows events between novels, but from what I've heard, play the Redux one.

While I don't agree at all that it's a STALKER cash-in, the games are certainly uninspired and I lost interest halfway though both of them. They are a checklist of contemporary FPS tropes and vices (linear maps, heavy scripting, collectible hunting), with an OK-ish stealth system (that didn't work well in 2033 but was fixed in 2033 Redux). Localization in both English and Spanish sucks ass, play it in Russian with subs if you can.

To be fair, releasing a STALKER game on consoles would be a total disaster and would most likely put GSC Game World out of business for good.

Modding is a critical necessity to make these games work and look good, and even then, they are still extremely buggy.

Metro is a lot more polished in its presentation yet lacks the replayability of STALKER by about 100:1, but it's this same slickness that allowed Metro to be successful in the console market as opposed to STALKER.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.pcgamesn.com/metro-exodus/metro-exodus-isnt-exactly-an-open-world

Metro Exodus isn't "exactly an open-world"

Metro Exodus’ debut trailer found series protagonist Artyom stepping out of the tunnels and into the half-light of post-apocalyptic Russia, before pulling out a map. It felt like a clear signal: Metro is going open-world.

But that’s not quite the case. Metro will remain a linear first-person story in the strong tradition of Half-Life and Bioshock.

“First and foremost we’re not moving away from the classic linear Metro gameplay,” executive producer Jon Bloch told us. “We still have that, but what what we’re doing with this new gameplay is more like sandbox survival.”

The idea is ‘Stalker meets Metro’ - a shift back and forth between straightforward segments and vast open areas.

“There’s large levels that offer a lot more freedom, they’re non-linear, but we will have a story wrapped into them,” Bloch explains. “So the story will carry through across the non-linear and linear levels.”

These levels will comprise a story campaign that takes place over the course of a year.

“It’s not exactly an open-world as you may be thinking, but we’re able to offer the player a lot more freedom than in the past,” Bloch finishes.

In short: 4A Games aren’t leaving the metro behind. Tunnels will still be in when Metro Exodus comes out sometime in 2018.

HEKE

Educated
I just want a proper S.T.A.L.K.E.R sequel or at least a spiritual successor, is that too much to ask?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm actually interested in this one (much more than in the older titles). That trailer (not the current one, but the previous one, where he jumps on the train in the end)... has this atmosphere of "leaving the old world behind, move on to the new world"... It reflects something I feel myself what should be done in this actual world... leaving the shit behind. But then you also have to leave behind everything familiar...good and bad... I kinda get sad and depressed when I think about it... I mean even shit can get familiar... sigh... maybe I shouldn't play it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Well, the developers said they focused more on the open world areas, I think it is to be too hopeful for a STALKER kind of game but it appears the game will have hubs and work like Deus Ex Human Revolution, with a hub areas and wilderness areas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom