Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 officially cancelled

Secretninja

Cipher
The key to being a good mmo is providing the tools necessary for players to make huge amounts of butthurt and the accompanying lulz.

Sul

Savant
People would rage too hard at permadeath.

Also, wtf happened to mortal online? It sounded promising at one point then it just vanished.
http://www.mortalonline.com/
They still going and adding more stuff every next patch. They even have a new expansion in the works.
The problem with mortal is that they tried to bite something larger than their mouth, because of this they had to deal with an amateur game at release that scared away many potential players (and others thinking they would find a lot of hand-holding and WoW-like gameplay). Just look at Darkfall, 9 years (I think) in production just to realese a sandbox MMORPG on a playable state.
But seems like they found their niche and are successfully maturing their game over time.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
bah....

Well, they didn't get the rights to the stalker IP...but...fine...games are more then just shitty branding.(Syndicate FPS etc, etc)

But then i heard that their idea for the MMO is about some shitty concept that does not revolves around the zone.
But globally.

And...Fuck that shit...

They could have made the focus on something unique but instead banal,shit,boring.

Well....maybe the part that's suppose to be "outside the zone" meant stuff like coordons, securty checkpoints, smuggling and the likes...which is proper i suppose.

But still...the "fate of humanity/humanity must fight " crap just touches me in a bade way.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Let me necro this thread until an official confirmation comes...: https://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/6zn4ka/gsc_game_world_working_on_a_new_game_stalker/

GSC Game World working on a new game. STALKER?

http://lordeagle.ru/news/intervyu-s-evgeniem-grigorovichem-razrabotchikom-kazakov-3/

The interview. I have taken out the questions for you.

Q1. Многих игроков интересует вопрос что будет когда Казакам 3 исполниться год? Продолжите ли вы потдержку Казаков 3 или начнете (уже начали) разрабатывать другую игру, либо у вас другие планы.

Конечно же мы продолжим поддержку, так как еще остался ряд до сих пор раздражающих багов, продолжим улучшать баланс, плюс надеюсь, что будем модернизировать и уже имеющиеся фичи. Уже совсем скоро начнем (начали) разработку новой игры (игр), но подробнее пока не расскажу)

Q1. Many players are interested in what will happen when Cossacks 3 turn a year old? Will you continue to support Cossacks 3 or start (maybe have already begun) developing another game, or perhaps you have other plans.

A: Of course, we will continue to support the game, because there are still a number of annoying bugs, we will continue to improve the balance, plus I hope that we will upgrade some existing features. Very soon we will begin (start) the development of a new game (or games), but I will not go into details now.

And

Q21. Когда Сталкер 2? ( не мог не задать :smiley: )

Хороший свежий вопрос. Следите за анонсами компании.

Q21. When is Stalker 2 coming out? (could not help but ask)

A: A good, fresh question. Follow the announcements of the company.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
talent is all gone.
the what

I don't see any part of the game that got actual talent in it, only bunch of promising features that were bareboned in release and are constantly reminded because not a single game managed to bring something similar (not on abysmal level even).

Ivan

Arcane
the Kshatriya dlc for Last Light is the closest AAA STALKER experience there is

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
talent is all gone.

Yep, split between 4A and Vostok. Others have left the industry completely.

Still saddens me how many old design documents have leaked for STALKER 2, it seems like they had a pretty complete design.

Plisken

Learned
Theres still Ray of Hope on the horizon, which honestly, will be the only STALKER mod worth talking about period, being that it is actually making new content and mechanics. It might as well be STALKER 2, its the closest you're going to get to it, including a frankenstein engine.

Everything else is people trying to extract more juice out of content they've already squeezed the fuck out of for 10+ years. Make another gun pack guys, that will work!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Facebook page, late November: https://www.facebook.com/officialstalker/posts/2160034510689119

Any time the subject comes up about Stalker 2 or the owner of GSC Game World: Sergiy Grygorovych, there is a lot of one sided discussion only taking into account the former employees opinions who left at various times. Additionally most of the fan comments are based on the rage and frustration at GSC Game World shutting down in 2011 and the work on Stalker 2 halted. Sergiy Grygorovych is a modest guy. Most people don't understand or appreciate his story.

So I will share a little background you may not know: Imagine as a teenager, you start getting into computer games and you start out by making mods and experimenting. You find you do well and decide to hire others and start a company at 17 years old. You work on tinkering with other people's works but with success you decide to launch your own ideas and games. At 22 years old your first title comes out in 2000. A 2nd game in 2001. 3 titles in 2002. 5 titles in 2003. 2004 & 2005 a new game each year. 2006 two more titles.

Stalker comes out in 2007 being a game that has been long in development, that a lot of people thought was vaporware, is released, and even though somewhat buggy and considered by some to be unfinished, it is a success. All this time workers have come and gone but you still managed to keep things going. In 2008, the second of the Stalker series is released. A third title in 2009 for the Russian market and following in 2010 for the rest of the world. Things are going very well for a small company in Ukraine in a world of bigger companies in the US & Europe until in 2008 the entire world suffers from economic depression, however you keep going. Work on Stalker 2 is started right after the third game in 2009.

2010 comes...2011 comes...and suddenly where you were able to produce 3 Stalker Games in 3 years you have nothing at the end of 2011. You are 33 years old. You have worked all your adult life from a teenager. You decide to shutdown your business for lack of progress and take a break. For the first time in your adult life you find yourself free. You want to do things for yourself for the first time ever and NOT have the responsibilities most people never see in a lifetime. However you don't want your greatest triumph, the Stalker series to just be handed over or sold to anyone. If you did then you would lose quality control over your legacy. If you were greedy you would sell. If you were greedy you would keep churning out new games every year for a quick buck.

Instead you keep your Intellectual Property and do something most would consider crazy. You start racing high performance motorcycles for a professional team. Just you, no one else to manage or watch over. For the first time in your life since a teenager, you have a new freedom you've never experienced before. A life you never imagined. The thrill of doing something totally dangerous, outdoors and not sitting in an office cubicle. Certainly you are deserving of this new life after giving the world 17 Games from 2000 to 2009.

So ask yourself. What did you accomplish at 17? Did you start a company? Did you produce games all your adult life until you took a break at 33 or did you just play them? Calling somebody greedy who has the right as a human being to do anything he wants to including a change in career or a break from being an office worker for 16 years out of your 33. People act like you owe them something because you cancelled temporarily(?) a game they wanted and then they vilify you for having a life outside of their selfish concerns.

If you never produce another game again they should be grateful. However you are a stand up guy. You continue racing motorcycles professionally but you re-open your gaming studio in 2014. Your younger brother manages a team that works hard for 2 years and releases a new title in 2016. This is followed by expansion packs and thorough testing.

It is now 2017. The company you started 22 years ago still survives and has a huge following in several different titles. The story is not over yet because you didn't sell out and you kept your intellectual property because you believed no one but you will do the Stalker franchise right. In 2018 you will be 40 years old. You can't ride motorcycles forever. Nothing has been lost. The future is yours.

Sergiy Grygorovych is too busy to be the Admin of an English language Facebook page. That's my job. I work for him

I wrote this on the spur of the moment. It was not planned or rehearsed. It was based on negative comments on a meme I posted several hours before.

Stalker 2 in 2018 confirmed! With a pinch of salt.
In all honesty, if work was being done now after Cossacks 3, it would probably be 2020 at the soonest if released at the quality standards of Call of Pripyat ( 2009 ).

To make a really long story short, the Stalker 2 design team produced a project that was more like Clear Sky and the Faction Wars. This is not what SG wanted. He wanted something more like Shadow of Chernobyl with it's sense of exploration and wonder. When you hire people to do something and you are not happy with the result, you have a right to fire them. If you operate a business, it is yours to do as you see fit and the public does not have a right to demand an explanation more than you desire to give. If they had produced what he wanted years ago we would all be whining for Stalker 3 now.

Gerrard

Arcane
What a butthurt little shit. Who was angry at the cancellation of Stalker 2 when it was clear it would be a consolized shit?

PorkBarrellGuy

So if STALKER is dead will people stop fucking making stupid Cheeki Breeki memejokes? Or is that likely to continue?

Latro

Arcane
What a butthurt little shit. Who was angry at the cancellation of Stalker 2 when it was clear it would be a consolized shit?
you can bad-mouth SG all you like but
To make a really long story short, the Stalker 2 design team produced a project that was more like Clear Sky and the Faction Wars. This is not what SG wanted. He wanted something more like Shadow of Chernobyl with it's sense of exploration and wonder.
proves he understands what made STALKER actually great, something other lead-devs do not understand (warren spector, lord british, etc) about their own products.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Just look at GSC_GW tweeter - when they were developing (and released) Cossacks3 their account was nothing but Cossacks-themed content.
Now?
More and more tweets with Stalker stuff.
Coincidence?

you can bad-mouth SG all you like but [...] proves he understands what made STALKER actually great, something other lead-devs do not understand (warren spector, lord british, etc) about their own products.

Catch the brofist man. Beside few names little no one know why old stuff is good. Not even hordes of youtubers (with 30min-1h+ long "analyse" my arse, most of them consider Oblivion and Skyrim as a classic) and bloggers can tell why.

HEKE

Educated
I'm being cautiously optimistic regarding the news mainly because I don't want to be disappointed again.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I remember plenty of controversy from before the 2 was cancelled. Sergei seems to have accomplished a lot, but I really wouldn't trust him over the judgments of others. The thing about the 2 being more like Clear Sky's Faction Wars system, and him disagreeing with it, is the one main point I've heard in his favor, and this is the first I've heard of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom