Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Cael

Arcane
If memory serves, the last mech-merc games I played were Front Mission 3 and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries from 2002. Both were excellent. I'm hoping BattleTech can break this 15 year hiatus.
Mainly because Microshite held on to the IP and refused to let it go even though they did nothing with it.

But one thing always bugged me: Was it even possible to go bankrupt in the single player campaigns on any of the Mechwarrior Merc games?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If memory serves, the last mech-merc games I played were Front Mission 3 and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries from 2002. Both were excellent. I'm hoping BattleTech can break this 15 year hiatus.
Mainly because Microshite held on to the IP and refused to let it go even though they did nothing with it.

But one thing always bugged me: Was it even possible to go bankrupt in the single player campaigns on any of the Mechwarrior Merc games?
I'm not entirely sure really. You'd probably need to very carefully set up a shopping spree right before a mission you know you can make sure you get out in the negative, but I really don't think it was possible to do without deliberate intent.

I am really looking forward to the single player game. The managing the merc company really gets me visibly excited. I think from the backer demo the combat is going to be serviceable. It might not be great, but I think it will capture enough of the tabletop to be fun. I really wish they could have added fire and smoke into the mix and maybe some of the non-lethal weapons other than the flamer.
Every Armored Core game has been a merc game, whether being a straight-up merc as all Ravens and LINX more or less are, or by having some sort of mecha-bloodsports framework where acquiring lucre to expand your arsenal remains the same as in the former case.

Last edited:
It's easy enough in MW2 Mercs. Failing missions isn't an automatic game over (well, most of the time, sometimes failing means you fly into a sun or get taken as a bondsman or some other game ending thing), so you can eject and keep playing. Eject with no spare mechs and no money to buy a new one and that's it. Doesn't really happen often, since you can turn auto ejection off and there's no reason to manually eject if you know it'll end the game anyway, but it's possible.

Cael

Arcane
It's easy enough in MW2 Mercs. Failing missions isn't an automatic game over (well, most of the time, sometimes failing means you fly into a sun or get taken as a bondsman or some other game ending thing), so you can eject and keep playing. Eject with no spare mechs and no money to buy a new one and that's it. Doesn't really happen often, since you can turn auto ejection off and there's no reason to manually eject if you know it'll end the game anyway, but it's possible.
Weird. Every time I have ever ejected or gotten my arse handed to me in MW2M, it is always the game over screen where an enemy soldier looks down on you and shoot you in the head.

Weird. Every time I have ever ejected or gotten my arse handed to me in MW2M, it is always the game over screen where an enemy soldier looks down on you and shoot you in the head.
That is weird. Maybe it's only possible in some missions? I don't know. It has its own movie, so I'm confident I'm not just misremembering it at least. Not a very interesting one though.

circ

Arcane
fucking swede fuccbois. No talk, game.

Footage is only making me groan. Nothing about this is impressive on any level. No detail no innovation - your average RTS in tb mode from the 90s. Big hit with the nuxcom crowd probably.

Silva

Arcane
Can someone tell me if this game will have some sort of open-world/sandbox structure?

I'm asking because I dream of seeing a proper Shadowrun in open-world style like the Genesis one, and then I thought that maybe, if HBS do a decent open-world Battletech, it could do a new open-world Shadowrun in the future.

Overboard

Arcane
That's not a Locust. This is a Locust:

latest

Cool name

Arcane
I massively prefer the old sometimes-goofy art to MWOs versions of most mechs

MWOs models look very generic modern scifi (especially generic-modern-military-scifi-with-pretenses-of-'hardness'), and could be dropped into any number of generic modern scifi settings. a lot of previous stuff had more character, feeling closer to something out of OT Star Wars than say, Halo

It doesn't help that a lot of the MWO models look samey as fuck, an issue that's only exacerbated by their size being scaled down for a strategy game, and actually interferes with gameplay

Cross

Arcane
Harebrained's games have never been anything to write home about when it comes to art direction. The art for the Shadowrun games, while technically competent, is almost completely lacking in any sort of grit or convincing cyberpunk theme and feels more like something out of some futuristic SJW utopia. To say nothing of Necropolis, whose visuals can only charitably be described as 'fashionably lazy'.

Sadly, this looks to be continuing that trend.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Harebrained's games have never been anything to write home about when it comes to art direction. The art for the Shadowrun games, while technically competent, is almost completely lacking in any sort of grit or convincing cyberpunk theme and feels more like something out of some futuristic SJW utopia.
Nonsense. Just compare the art of the Shadowrun games to the art in Shadowrun rule books. Pretty fitting, I would say.

To say nothing of Necropolis, whose visuals can only charitably be described as 'fashionably lazy'.
Yeah, no doubt... I think "fashionably lazy" would also be a description for many of its mechanics.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nonsense. Just compare the art of the Shadowrun games to the art in Shadowrun rule books. Pretty fitting, I would say.

Spoken like a true Johnny-come-lately who's only familiar with the 4th and (I'm now horrified to discover the existence of) 5th editions of Shadowrun. DeviantART-tier HBS Shadowrun artwork appears similar to classic Shadowrun artwork in much the same way that a person with Down's Syndrome appears similar to a person with normal chromosomes—nearly identical, except that one is degenerate. (That is a factual and textbook use of "degenerate," by the way, rather than a rhetorical or pejorative one.)

Anyway, the last Kickstarter bubble-related game to feature heavy out-of-the-closet SJW involvement was Torment: Tides of Numenera, and that turned out great, so I'm sure this one will be fine. After all, tabletop Shadowun is fine and has in no way been fucked up by Millennial idiots, and tabletop gaming in general hasn't in any way, shape, or form been ruined by the SJW cult. Everything's just great, really.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Spoken like a true Johnny-come-lately who's only familiar with the 4th and (I'm now horrified to discover the existence of) 5th editions of Shadowrun.
I'm sorry that the 80s died, grandpa. Too bad you got stuck in them.

Oh, I started with the second edition and always switched to the latest version, because - what a wonder - they were actually an improvement (meaning rules & mechanics, everything pre third edition was a fucking mess).
The art style simply didn't change that much (other than becoming higher quality due to technology), so whatever you are talking about is just the usual conspiracy nonsense you use to make the world fit your view.

Anyway, the last Kickstarter bubble-related game to feature heavy out-of-the-closet SJW involvement was Torment: Tides of Numenera, and that turned out great, so I'm sure this one will be fine. After all, tabletop Shadowun is fine and has in no way been fucked up by Millennial idiots, and tabletop gaming in general hasn't in any way, shape, or form been ruined by the SJW cult. Everything's just great, really.
I made this one just for you:
tin-foil-hat-300x248.jpg

Oh, and here's a great place, where you will have many friends. Please go there. And don't come back. People in this world have moved on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom