Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your favorite portrait artstyles?

Which one of these do you like?

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Just put this together:

Sword%2BCoast%2BLegends%2Bportraits.jpg

If you don't know what game they're from, don't worry about it.

Also:

Hired Guns, Amiga version (1993):

hired%2Bguns.jpg

Jagged Alliance 2 (1999):

aim.jpg

liberation%2Bforce%2B2.jpg

recruit%2Bdmitri.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Those AoD portraits are harder to differentiate than the portraits of Baldur's Gate, but I can appreciate them in context. AoD is a gritty and political low fantasy setting, whereas Baldur's Gate is a high fantasy swords & sorcery adventure. The latter needs to make their larger than life heroes pop, hence the vibrant artstyle.

What would you call the portraits from Fallout: Tactics? They sort of run the gambit, from realistic humans, to LARPers and 3D rendered Deathclaws.

Humanophage

Arcane
By far the most unwelcome option are 3D portraits, even the better ones, as in P:T. It is a travesty to pass on such an opportunity to infuse your characters with some additional depth.

I wouldn't put BG1 and BG2 portraits in the same category. BG2 portraits are heavily influenced by the unfortunate artistic direction in D&D3E, where dwarves and especially elves have deformed stylised skulls. Humans also look awful. You can see the influence especially well in Aerie's portrait (but not Viconia's, though there is some influence in the palette). They did much to destroy the classic fantasy style from the 90s with this:
Elves.jpg

elves.jpg

By contrast, BG1 portraits are the pinnacle of the classic style. They offer a broad range of character and attractiveness, and they look rather realistic - I imagine they are heavily doctored photographs. About as realistic as AoD, in fact, just with a different light.

I'm also quite happy with simply using slightly altered photographs, as in Pathologic.
O2nShXyooNU.jpg
LLIPbrA.jpg

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Those AoD portraits are harder to differentiate than the portraits of Baldur's Gate, but I can appreciate them in context. AoD is a gritty and political low fantasy setting, whereas Baldur's Gate is a high fantasy swords & sorcery adventure. The latter needs to make their larger than life heroes pop, hence the vibrant artstyle.

What would you call the portraits from Fallout: Tactics? They sort of run the gambit, from realistic humans, to LARPers and 3D rendered Deathclaws.

LARPers no doubt. It's why I couldn't stand the game: that very small detail completely ruins the experience for me.

DraQ Pixel art is a style. It can be used in conjunction with other styles, but it is the predominant one of those conjunctions.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AoD & IWD purely from an autistic artistic point of view. They just look fantastic. I'd hang those on my walls.

Closely followed by BGI/II, excluding Imoen's BGI portrait.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
21-1.png

30-1.png

55-1.png

38-1.png

15-1.png

57-1.png

Can't believe you flippin noobs still don't realize Ishar 3 has the best portraits there are and ever will be smdh

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I have these games for some time and I didn't even think about finally playing them.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I don't necessarily have a favorite just as long as it's good, but generally i tend to dislike a cartoonish style.

herofaceselect.jpg

Age of Wonders has great portraits.

40O7r8hi7skjV2k9kaa3PQVXhW6eRTyevKM0GDrciFVXi4-7j4g4caMsiaJ6Rzck6heplUI7Bu6vXz08PeJUNpVcbf47KN8zpOBcWpu7vdGE=s0-d

As does Heroes 3.

images

And Disciples 2 for example which I think I like the most.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I still can't tell what was going through Numenera team's mind when settling on portrait art style and designs, but at some point side cut was deemed vital.

2s1ty74.jpg
Ugh. It may have been edgy when they started prototyping, but it won't be a few years from now. PST didn't have a single haircut that could be pinpointed to the 90s, it was a game made to be enjoyed for centuries. To immerse into a certain setting, it must be agnostic of its own time of creation. This is just SJW style game made in 2015 by sjw for sjw, you can just tell it by the side cut alone. Instantly not a classic.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the most important part is that it should fit the game's atheistic, not be ugly, and have a ton of babes

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I really fucking love the portraits in Age of Decadence, and I think that they're amazing, but when push comes to shove, they're an exceptional outlier. "Pure" realistic types are usually exceptionally trashy and simply look bad, for one reason or another.

If I really have to pick, I'm going to have to pick Stylized Realism. Arcanum, Baldur's Gate 1 (2 much less so), and the entire Icewind Dale series had some truly exceptional portraits and I can't possibly vote for anything else.
I still can't tell what was going through Numenera team's mind when settling on portrait art style and designs, but at some point side cut was deemed vital.

2s1ty74.jpg
Ugh. It may have been edgy when they started prototyping, but it won't be a few years from now. PST didn't have a single haircut that could be pinpointed to the 90s, it was a game made to be enjoyed for centuries. To immerse into a certain setting, it must be agnostic of its own time of creation. This is just SJW style game made in 2015 by sjw for sjw, you can just tell it by the side cut alone. Instantly not a classic.
If you can go "haha, oh wow what were we thinking?" in 10-15 years time, you can already tell that you've failed in your designs. Things like this in Tides of Numenera will be like looking in high school yearbooks, pointing as the most uninspiring and vapid people at that time, and laughing at how retarded they looked, trying to look topical and modern.

Kitchen Utensil

It depends. Execution is often more important than style and it has to fit the game's art direction and atmosphere. One of the more memorable recent examples:

Shadow-Tactics-Blades-of-the-Shogun-Heroes.jpg

2s1ty74.jpg

Yes.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
All two-dimensional art forms are plebian, I am the patron of a sculptor who crafts my characters' renditions into marble busts that I keep at my desk whilst'm've I play RPGs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

2s1ty74.jpg

Worst thing is how their artistic style declined from pretty good-looking initial art (far left) to decent art (second from the left) to meh and finally crappy art.

Portrait to the left actually has a cool style to it.
Portrait to the right just looks like a pic with hipster filters thrown on top.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
By the way, you can make that shitty AoD-style portraits in GIMP really simple. Just take a picture in a dark room, add a filter, color curves, and then use the smudge tool. FFS, this forum is just full of edgy, autistic, neckbeard-cuck fanboys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom