Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Oh boy, Legend Entertainment at last!!

But do they just have the license to Death Gate or their entire catalog?

https://pikointeractive.com/blog/happy-2018-important-announcements-for-2018-and-the-future/

Third, Smaller announcement of acquisitions; during 2017 we acquired several titles (keep reading for a bigger announcement on this regard). Some of these included the Super Famicom title Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou. The game is currently being translated and is about 90% done. Hopefully this game leads to more Japanese acquisitions.

Now, I can comfortably go towards the main announcement. Here at Piko, we slowly pivoted from a homebrew developer that produced retro mini games, to a retro publisher that acquired IPs. When we acquire the rights to a game, we feel like we are giving it a new cozy home which would give it a new purpose in life. Through the years (since 2013) we have increased the budgets or the caliber of acquisitions we do. From indie unreleased games, to popular games from the 90s. Back in Oct 2017, we did the biggest investment for Piko to date. We are very excited to announce that we closed a 60 titles catalog acquisition. This acquisition we worked on virtually since the beginning of Piko Interactive LLC. For many reasons we could not close until Oct 2017! These new titles allow us to hit a very important milestone of owning over 100 IPs. The list of titles will not be revealed at the moment; but we can give you a general idea of what it includes.

We acquired these titles from a large known publisher who over the years of operation, they themselves acquired many smaller developers that eventually closed shop. The titles included in this new catalog have mainly original IPs from the following developers:
  • Infogrames
  • Ocean Software
  • Legend Entertainment
  • Beam Software
  • Accolade
  • Hasbro Interactive
  • GT Interactive
  • Microprose/Spectrum Holobyte
The purpose of this acquisition is to expand our operations.

Piko Interactive will still concentrate in publish and distribute game cartridges. Some of these titles would be ported to Jaguar, or will be finally produced to NES, SNES, N64, Genesis etc.

A New Label will be launched called “Classics Digital” which will concentrate in publishing these games in Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The large known publisher must be Atari, right? They didn't sell all their stuff.

The old Infogrames games still show up as published by Atari, but perhaps that will change: https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=at...1&as=1649904300

Looks like it's Billionsoft, the Hong Kong-based company that launched Accolade label and released the new Bubsy game last year.

https://www.billionsoftware.com

We are proud owners of the Humongous Entertainment brand as well as several GT Interactive, Accolade, Holobyte Spectrum, MicroProse, Infograme and Atari properties.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The large known publisher must be Atari, right? They didn't sell all their stuff.

The old Infogrames games still show up as published by Atari, but perhaps that will change: https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=at...1&as=1649904300

Looks like it's Billionsoft, the Hong Kong-based company that launched Accolade label and released the new Bubsy game last year.

https://www.billionsoftware.com

We are proud owners of the Humongous Entertainment brand as well as several GT Interactive, Accolade, Holobyte Spectrum, MicroProse, Infograme and Atari properties.

Ah yes. Who themselves appeared to have swallowed up Tommo/Retroism's catalogue. You know I emailed them about that but never got a response.

Last edited:

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
Guys, you know that you can get refunds for stars? I opened Deserts of Kharak that I kept and a few shit games which I refunded

How do you do this? Got two shit games I wanna get rid off.
Sorry, wasn't on forums lately, but you just go here https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?as=1649904300 and type your request. I directly said I didn't want the games because I'd never play them, got refunded almost immediately.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
GOG apparently rejected the newest game from Zachtronics (Shenzen I/O, Infinifactory, TIS-100, Spacechem, Ironclad Tactics).

DSz35UfU0AAgLO2.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/4/16...efront-2-pc-patch-disney-lucasfilm-gog-galaxy

Here’s how 2005’s Star Wars: Battlefront 2 was patched this week

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is more than 12 years old, but it has received two patches in the past four months, leaving fans of the old Pandemic Studios-developed shooter wondering who exactly is behind these updates. It turns out that although Disney isn’t making console or PC games anymore, it’s still working with partners to maintain older titles.

LucasArts originally published Star Wars: Battlefront 2, and Disney took control of the game when it acquired LucasArts’ parent company, Lucasfilm, in 2012. (Note that 2005’s Star Wars: Battlefront 2 is unrelated to the similarly titled Electronic Arts-published game Star Wars Battlefront 2, which was released in November 2017.)

Pandemic’s Star Wars: Battlefront 2 lost official network support in May 2014 with the shutdown of GameSpy Technology. Fans had kept the game alive through workarounds, but they were treated to a pleasant surprise in October 2017. That’s when GOG Galaxy revived Battlefront 2 with a patch that reactivated online play across both GOG and Steam. Players reported a number of technical issues at the time, and a second update was released yesterday, Jan. 3. The 240 MB patch delivered “minor bug fixes and optimized performance”:

Lobby functionality has been improved
Steam usernames should now display correctly
Ping calculations are more accurate​

It’s strange for any decade-old game to be updated, especially one like Battlefront 2, whose listed publishers are Lucasfilm, LucasArts and Disney Interactive — three companies that are not primarily developing traditional console/PC games anymore. (Disney closed LucasArts in April 2013, and shut down the internal development studio at Disney Interactive in May 2016; with some exceptions, Disney now exists in the gaming market only as a licensing business.)

A Disney representative told Polygon that although the company isn’t actively developing console/PC titles, gaming teams do exist within Disney and Lucasfilm. These internal groups deal with outside parties such as licensees and other development partners, working to maintain proper stewardship of Disney’s brands.

In the case of Battlefront 2, the Disney spokesperson said that GOG Galaxy is handling the back end for the game’s online play, including the development of patches. The company’s work amounts to maintenance and upkeep, a chiefly technical endeavor rather than a creative one. In other words, it’s unrealistic to expect new content for a game that launched in late 2005, and other additions that fans are clamoring for — like Steam Workshop support and dedicated servers — may also be asking too much.

Still, it’s rare that an old game is revived in a form that doesn’t ask players to pay for a re-release. In comparison to the controversy surrounding EA’s implementation of loot crates in 2017’s Battlefront 2, this seems like a nice gesture from Disney.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Curse of Monkey Island when?

edit
New sale started.
Why?
Or more importantly - why they wouldn't keep the Christmas sale for longer?

because prices sux

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
A sale again? Why not have a sale on at all times.

I wonder if they are already noticing diminishing returns. Particularly on GoG, I assume most people would eventually simply have all or most of the games they wanted in their library. I sure do.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
GOG officials are cucks, they've recently deleted my GOGmix "Beamdog is the parasite of the industry" (which had around 500 votes at the time) because Beamdog demanded that. If such a small company can make them do that it really shows how insignificant they are. When you look at Sales of Incline thread and compare for example AoD sales (we know all sales thanks to Vault Dweller and we know Steam sales thanks to Steam Spy) the difference is just colossal.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

I wonder if they are already noticing diminishing returns. Particularly on GoG, I assume most people would eventually simply have all or most of the games they wanted in their library. I sure do.

Looks to me like this is a "flash sale"-sale. Items that had a 75% discount yesterday no longer have it.

This one might be worth paying attention to.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Hmm... today with a new flash-sale I expected different prices, but many have still the same discounts as yesterday.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Bigger discounts for same game everyday, day by day?
nah, just repeat sale and give worse discounts

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Last time I bought a game was a year or so ago.
The "new and improved" forum is slow as hell, there's now active moderation and censorship, and they did something with the general forum so that my Greasemonky settings don't work anymore.
I still check on some of the sub forums, but that's all now.

But to be fair, Good Old Games just couldn't last forever. After all, there's a finite amount of old games that are worth buying, while there is an infinite amount of new shit being released.

Last edited:

Leitz

Learned
I remember when GOG was new, I was like phahahah who cares about old games, they never gonna last for a year with this idea...this was 10 years ago.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not sure I understand this sale. A couple days in I saw some new stuff added but after the last couple of days it seems to be the same 50ish or so games.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is there list available of games of which one could take screencaps using galaxy overlay?
I did a little bit of testing (for example screencapping from Enter the Gungeon works, but Warwind isn't doable AFAIK).
DosBox games cause no troubles in this regard.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
GOG officials are cucks, they've recently deleted my GOGmix "Beamdog is the parasite of the industry" (which had around 500 votes at the time) because Beamdog demanded that. If such a small company can make them do that it really shows how insignificant they are. When you look at Sales of Incline thread and compare for example AoD sales (we know all sales thanks to Vault Dweller and we know Steam sales thanks to Steam Spy) the difference is just colossal.
Hi, I created a thread on the gog forum pertaining to gog's removal of your Beamdog gogmix. You can find it here: https://af.gog.com/forum/general/go..._parasite_of_the_industrygogmix?as=1649904300 Please chime in!
Since it's Sunday it will take some time until GOG employees will lock it or respond in it, so if you don't like Beamdog and how GOG behaves here's your chance to voice your opinion.
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/go...ite_of_the_industrygogmix/page1?as=1649904300

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom