Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of decent D&D cRPGs

Mortmal

Arcane
Pathfinder : Kingmaker
Hope he's right. For pen and paper real D&d =pathfinder, and that for a long time now.Will be nice to play a new real D&d game instead of digging up again all those corpses people still pretend to play with.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Pool of Radiance from the 80s:
Classic turn-based party CRPG with open exploration that has the distinction of being both the first officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons video game as well as being the first of the Gold Box series of games.

Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor:
Turn-based shitfest that capitalizes on the name of the original without actually being fun to play and has a fantastic bug that can uninstall your operating system.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Classic turn-based party CRPG with open exploration that has the distinction of being both the first officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons video game as well as being the first of the Gold Box series of games.

Pool of Radiance - Ruins of Myth Drannor:
Turn-based shitfest that capitalizes on the name of the original without actually being fun to play and has a fantastic bug that can uninstall your operating system.
Wow... Thanks. I actually played the newer one years ago and quit it out of boredom but I was tempted to try it again sometime. Think I'll just replay TOEE.

Keldryn

Arcane

220px-Ad%26d_cm_cover.png

:D

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

220px-Ad%26d_cm_cover.png

:D

Sorry, let me rephrase...

It has the distinction of being the first fully realized D&D CRPG.

chaddiek

Novice
When you've replayed ToEE so many times, RoMD is something different, I enjoyed it enough to finish it a couple times anyway.

Deleted Member 16721

Not the best place to ask but I just picked up:

Dark Sun 1 & 2
All the Gold Box games and whatever is in the Forgotten Realms 2 package on GOG (FRUA and stuff? No clue.)

I want to take the same party through the Gold Box games or at least keep some of the same characters between games. In what order should I play them? I take it Dark Sun is not connected in any way so I'll save that for a separate party/adventure, but what about the Gold Box ones? Preferred order?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness. That is the series you will bring character in to play all 4 games in a Series. Of note, the later games add classes that are not available in the earlier ones.

Good fucking luck with Pools of Darkness. :salute:

Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier will use the same party for only 2 games (BONUS: It's the FIRST cRPG to include ROMANCE!!!111!!!!11).

Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, The Dark Queen of Krynn will take a party through 3 Series. Really fun game to play through.

Have fun, and MASSIVE INCLINE upon you.

:obviously:

Deleted Member 16721

Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness. That is the series you will bring character in to play all 4 games in a Series. Of note, the later games add classes that are not available in the earlier ones.

Good fucking luck with Pools of Darkness. :salute:

Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier will use the same party for only 2 games (BONUS: It's the FIRST cRPG to include ROMANCE!!!111!!!!11).

Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, The Dark Queen of Krynn will take a party through 3 Series. Really fun game to play through.

Have fun, and MASSIVE INCLINE upon you.

:obviously:

Thank you sir/madam. You left our Dark Sun if I'm not mistaken. Are those simply 2 "offshoot" D&D games that I can either take the party JUST through those 2 games, or maybe not even that?

Oh, and there are any patches, "unofficial" or otherwise that I should/need to get before playing the Gold Box series? Anything I need to know (no spoilers or anything, just in terms of patching or something I need to play the game, maybe some way to slightly improve graphics or playability or what have you. Not looking for ENBs but I mean, maybe there's a trick other than just forcing SSAA x 16 or whatever through Nvidia control panel.)

Last edited by a moderator:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There are no patches for the GB games. There is the Gold Box Companion, though.

If you are gonna play the Pools series, remember Paladins and Rangers are not available in PoR, and demi-humans have severe restrictions in how far they can advance in any class but Thief. Check the Pools of Darkness manual before creating the party.
Demi-human multiclasses, especially Elf Fighter/Mages are very useful in PoR, but not so much in later games, so I prefer to replace them (except a Dwarf Fighter/Thief) with a Ranger and a Paladin in CoAB.
Also, the transfer from PoR to CoA is somewhat bugged, and using items like Ioun Stones or other items that affect stats will mess up the character, in which case the above mentioned GBC is a good utility.

Deleted Member 16721

There are no patches for the GB games. There is the Gold Box Companion, though.

If you are gonna play the Pools series, remember Paladins and Rangers are not available in PoR, and demi-humans have severe restrictions in how far they can advance in any class but Thief. Check the Pools of Darkness manual before creating the party.
Demi-human multiclasses, especially Elf Fighter/Mages are very useful in PoR, but not so much in later games, so I prefer to replace them (except a Dwarf Fighter/Thief) with a Ranger and a Paladin in CoAB.
Also, the transfer from PoR to CoA is somewhat bugged, and using items like Ioun Stones or other items that affect stats will mess up the character, in which case the above mentioned GBC is a good utility.

Thanks. I did see the Gold Box Companion and was wondering about it, so I think I'll use that as well.

Cool to see that PoR has items like Ioun Stones. Glad there will be magical items and the like. I also see that FRUA has a ton of mod content as well. Finding all these games is sort of like finding D&D Nirvana out of the blue. I was always a big fan of D&D but I had really been sleeping on Gold Box + the older D&D games. Can't wait to try them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Cool to see that PoR has items like Ioun Stones.

I was a bit unclear. It's CoAB that has Ioun Stones. PoR has the Manual of Bodily Health, though.
But the problem is that a character from PoR who has used the manual, or uses any Ioun Stones, will have their stats permanently messed up.
It doesn't seem to affect characters created in CoAB, only imported characters.

Another thing to consider is that PoR has totally random HP gain when leveling up, while in later games the dice are loaded in the player's favour. So a character created in CoAB will have more HP than an otherwise identical character imported from PoR.

Deleted Member 16721

Cool to see that PoR has items like Ioun Stones.

I was a bit unclear. It's CoAB that has Ioun Stones. PoR has the Manual of Bodily Health, though.
But the problem is that a character from PoR who has used the manual, or uses any Ioun Stones, will have their stats permanently messed up.
It doesn't seem to affect characters created in CoAB, only imported characters.

Another thing to consider is that PoR has totally random HP gain when leveling up, while in later games the dice are loaded in the player's favour. So a character created in CoAB will have more HP than an otherwise identical character imported from PoR.

Hmm. So I take it the GBC has a trainer tool, where I can set the character stats/HP and stuff like that? And do you recommend importing them, or how do you actually recommend playing the series? I'm going to copy this into a text document to save for later.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I recommend using the same party, but change some of them for CoAB.
Then use GBC to fix any characters whose stats get messed up during CoAB.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Grid Cartographer is also suggested unless you want to map by hand. Given the shortage of spare time I get I appreciate the automap feature.

FWIW I have played GB modules in FRUA along with GBC and grid cartographer with the automap feature. It all works well together and I appreciate in the interface improvements in FRUA as opposed to vanilla. I doubt you can import parties between FRUA modules, though I suppose with GBC you can recreate your characters fairly easily.

Jaesun has a good FRUA install and config thread. If that doesn't work out I sure someone will make a zip file with the kit already configured with Dosbox and DFend available. It is worth the effort getting it set up. You will have many hundreds of hours of D&D ahead of you.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I doubt you can import parties between FRUA modules

You CAN actually. But ONLY IF: If a module is stated as UN-MODDED, you can import characters without any problems at all. IF a Module is stated as HACKED, that's where the problems will happen.

BUT, if you use characters that use a specific HACKED setting, you can happily import them into any of those modules and play to your hearts content.

For example: You can play through ANY of Ray Dyer's FRUA modules, that use his Realm Series HACK. You can build up characters and then you can ALSO use those characters (and import them) in modules that use the SAME Hack. For example Nol Drek's excellent Judge's Guild series. ALL 5 of the Judges Guild series use Ray's Realm Series HACK and characters can easily be imported from ANY of Ray's modules into Nol's Judges Guild modules, with no problems (Highly recommended).

Do note the Judges Guild series of modules DO require some higher level characters, but what I WOULD do, is just play through a few of Ray's modules (just run through the WEST series), and build up characters that meet the requirements of the Judges Guild series, then import them into it and enjoy!

Dorateen

Arcane
You left our Dark Sun if I'm not mistaken. Are those simply 2 "offshoot" D&D games that I can either take the party JUST through those 2 games, or maybe not even that?

Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager is a direct continuation of Shattered Lands. You would be able to transfer the party through those two games.

bussinrounds

Augur
osl49.jpg

This is the better AD&D game for the Intellivision. 1st person dungeon crawler with turn based combat.

osY6T.jpg

They also had a cool top down rogue like crawler called Tower of Doom which was supposed to be D&D licensed. You can use ranged attacks here but when you you approached the monsters and got close to them it went to another view where you could engage in melee combat, bribe them with items or back off & flee.

osXMq.jpg

osbhA.jpg

Mustawd

Low Magic Age is a Chinese steam game in EA that's based on 3.5 OGL IIRC.

The interface had a nice old school feel, and IMO the grafix are superb for a 2D top level type game.

At the moment, however, it seems to just be a combat sim. But it shows a lot of promise regardless.

Also, if you're desperate, there is a ToEE full conversion module called Keep on the Borderlands. It seems to be a low level D&D romp, but the main issue is that it was a community made module. Meaning map level quality as well as writing in general is inconsistent. Sometimes going to lulz wprtgy quality, unfortunately.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Ravenloft: the Stone Prophet was the Baldur's Gate before Baldur's Gate. I played it beginning in 1996 and it was captivating. Nowadays I don't know how it will hold up, though I replayed it in 2013.

While not as vast as BG, Stone Prophet has good dungeon crawling with piles of loot and a decent adaptation of the D&D ruleset. Doom engine though (ah, the nineties...).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom