Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People's General?

Anonymous

Dont you just play it like Panzer General? PG was pretty simple to play and learn..

Anonymous

Well, I figured that was kinda apparent, since it's semi-rock/paper/scissors in style. Use bombers on tanks, anti-aircraft on planes, etc.

kris

Arcane
Constipated Craprunner said:
LlamaGod said:
Dont you just play it like Panzer General? PG was pretty simple to play and learn..
No, I mean personal strategies, you know, like how you use airpower, how you deploy units in the beggining, stuff like that.

It was a long time since I played those games, but one thing I remember is that I used artillery a lot.

Smiffus

Novice
Yup, arty is your friend. And make sure you kill units before they can return fire, retreat or rebuild.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
By the same token, make sure you take out their arty and Anti-Aricraft first. Then your arty and helicopters have free reign.

Soften units up just enough for your tanks to over-run them, then they can blitz right through and attack again, over-running another and another like bowling pins.

kris

Arcane
Procedure:
1. Scout area.
2. attack with planes/artillery depending on the scouted set up of opponents. Strike at Artillery with bombers if no AA otherwise artillery first, if AA take that next with whatever troops you have to leave the planes open to bomb their panzer/infantry.
3. With no AA or artillery against you attack with the rest and have them move no further than being protected by your own AA/artillery.

Voilà, you taken most of them out and have your troops positioned for defense. A lot of artillery is best tough since it is protection and firepower.

Fez

Erudite
This is well worth a download. Thanks for pointing it out, I've been having a lot of fun with it.

I'm always on the look out for a good game at the right price. :wink: Post up any other good finds.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
As far as I remember People's used the Panzer General 2 engine, that was an absolute classic from SSI, who also made some pretty good games that we're more on the tactical side like the Close Comabt series, and Soldiers at War.

Higher Game

Arcane
I love people's general! Use artillery to kill infantry at a distance (use recon to spot them), but have some mech infantry to kill them as well. Tanks kill other tanks, of course. Helicopters kill tanks and other helicopters. Air strikes can work on just about anything. Plain infantry is a bad idea on most maps.

And don't let anyone die! The experience makes a huge difference. Only recon is disposable, since it's designed to be the first to see the enemy.

Fez

Erudite
Yeah thanks, I've been sat here paralysed in the game for four months because I couldn't get anything done. I am sure I'll win it all in one go tonight now.

At least pimp some other similar good games or something.

Kizmiaz

Novice
I never liked this one myself. Didn't got into it.
Don't know why really. Maybe too modern setting ?

Anyway I got hooked on Panzer General 2. Once upon a time I read something on wargamer.com that you could combine PzG 2 and PplG thus running your WWII troops with PplG:s better game engine, but I never tried it myself.

Haris

Novice
Panzer General 2 is one of my favorite games. Specially if you use on of those mods that add new sounds, 2000 new troops containing allmost all armies and thier flags that fought in ww2. Plus you just download about 100 new maps of existing real worl regions and you have one of best games ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom