Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter New WW2 shooter game kickstarter Battalion '44

Ba'al

Scholar
The game's goal is to have gameplay resembling CoD2 and CoD4 promod. If you haven't played these then the game is probably not for you. They should really emphasize this more but they probably wouldn't get enough sales appealing only to old CoD fans. I've seen a lot of people get turned off in the comments just because it's too arcade-y.

What worries me is that they're copying the movement system from CoD4 and mixing it with the weapons from CoD2, where high skill play involved using one-shot rifles. That worked great in CoD2 because the movement was somewhat slower (no sprinting) but you could still perform some 'explosive' movements by strafe jumping (once, no bunnyhopping). The gameplay shown in the video seems a bit too fast for rifles, I hope they balance the automatic guns so they are more inaccurate or something.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
We've already fought on every front. It's time for Treblinka and Sobibor maps prisoners included

mbv123

Arbiter
I wish they would actually let us play in different fronts. Western Front is boring af, but I guess nothing else would sell. Why not some early war battles where you're defending Sedan against Blitzkrieg onslaught? Why not some jungle guerilla warfare in Burma where you're inflitrating Japanese lines and cutting their throats while they are sleeping? Why not some games from Axis perspective? Don't even need to kill Americans, just set it up in Eastern Front. Anything else is better than fucking Normandy with brave yanks chanting USA, USA, USA, while killing hordes of evil SS nazis.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Early alpha?
Too late, there was Day of Infamy release recently and it's gut, they can pack it up and run. Cake is already shared.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Soooooo...

EA is due to start in February 1, you can get in for 15 euroshekels.

Reveal trailer:

A little bird told me that the game is great.

mbv123

Arbiter
Soooooo...

EA is due to start in February 1, you can get in for 15 euroshekels.

Reveal trailer:

A little bird told me that the game is great.

laughed my ass off at some shitty meme rap song over the footage (which looked like every ww2 fps ever)
also "FPS returns to its roots"
the fuck does that mean? cause it sure as hell doesn't look like Quake or Doom

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess they mean Day of Defeat. But the original wasn't that fast and were supposed to be realistic.

Except the Kar. Fucking railgun :argh:

Ba'al

Scholar
Early access has been out for more than a week. I've played about 20 hours of it. It's pretty good.

The maps are good, but some feel just a bit too big for me. On some maps it takes far too long to move from site A to site B. Combined with the fact that the bomb timer is somewhat short, if you're out position when the bomb is planted, you're fucked. Some bombsites are also too open, when you have to defuse the bomb there's just too many spots to check.

The weapons are good, though they will need some balancing. I think that the pistols are too strong, which makes rifle users a bit too versatile with the ability to defend themselves in close range. That said, the time it takes to switch weapons is way too long, it seems you're better off reloading the current weapon instead of switching when in a duel.

The card-based economy system is shit. In the competitive game mode (bomb plant), your team has a limited set of cards (weapons) at the beginning of the game. Every round you may pick one. When you die, you drop the card you've chosen. The card can be picked up by your or the enemy's team. When you lose all your cards, you're stuck with using the default weapon (which isn't all that bad). Since the only way of getting more cards is by killing the opponents, you're pretty much fucked until the half time team switch, which resets the cards.

The performance is surprisingly good (as in playable) on my pc, having a dual-core 3.0ghz cpu and only 4gb of ram. It does however take 5 minutes to start the game. I have experienced a few crashes, so the game is not all that stable yet. I think the netcode is a bit wanky as well. I would sometimes fire 5 rounds into a guy, only to be killed by him as if I didn't fire at all.

The game pretty much feels like cod4 promod with cod2 weapons (but with cod4 weapon handling). If you liked cod4 promod then you'll almost certainly like this.

Ba'al

Scholar
The game has come out of early access. They've added a russian faction (with the famous PPSH-41) but not many maps for the faction, unfortunately. The matchmaking is done through Faceit. They've cleaned up the animations, maps and sounds. The economy system is now coin based, basically a lite version of cs:go. While this is better than the card system they used to have, it still isn't there yet. The prices of weapons need rebalancing. It will never reach cs:go's economy complexity because there just aren't that many things to buy.

If you played the game and stopped because of low player count then now is the time to start playing again. There are 2-3k players on peak hours and the number seems to be rising every day. What I fear is that, like in the early access release, the game will die off in a month or so.

DemonKing

Arcane
Tried it on the weekend - one issue is constantly loading maps and then being dropped back to the start menu. Don't expect any miracles graphic-wise as this looks a long way off the pace (lot's of pop ins, hideous character models etc). Gunplay is good though (bolt action rifles play great if that's your thing). Unfortunately I only got to play TDM and CTF - not the 1 life thing yet.

Will play a bit more on the weekend.

EDIT: Couldn't get a game on the weekend. It's already dead. Could be because a new map dropped on BFV but my gut feeling is that this is DOA.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom