Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tactical Breach Wizards - tacticool spellcaster combat from Gunpoint dev

oasis789

Arcane

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pitch: Tactical Breach Wizards

I’ve been tweeting GIFs of a game I’m prototyping in Unity for a while now, codenamed Tiny Ex-Cons, and recently did a video blog about the core elements I’m hoping to combine if I go ahead with it.

It’s too early to know if this is my next big project or not – my prototype doesn’t have enough to prove the concept yet – but I do want to start showing more of it. And I’ve been holding back part of the concept, and indeed the name. It’s not hard to describe, but it’ll only really work with the right art, so I didn’t want to talk about it until I was sure that side of things would work.

And hey, you know who’s good at art? Gunpoint and Heat Signature artist John Roberts! So he’s joined me again and sketched out some ideas for this new concept. Which is…

TACTICAL BREACH WIZARDS

It’s a present-day turn-based strategy game about coordinating a small team to breach into rooms full of gangsters and other hostiles, but your team are all wizards. In tactical gear.

It’s partly based on a thing we used to joke about at PC Gamer sometimes, the idea of a super serious Call of Duty type military game, but the team are just wizards for some reason. We were probably all picturing different takes on this, but in my head it was kevlar over robes, staves with scopes, wands with silencers, grenades full of basilisk tears.

January last year, I was playing XCOM 2 and thinking “This is so good, and yet has so many clarity problems – I wish there were more indie XCOMs.” I started making notes for my own take on that, and about 400 words into the document, the wizards joke popped into my head, I hit caps lock and wrote:

TACTICAL BREACH WIZARDS!!!!!

I sent a mail round to check everyone I used to laugh about this with was OK with it, and they were. So, I’m taking that gag and mixing it with all my XCOM inspirations and hangups.

Here’s John’s sketch of what a scene might look like:

I’m picturing you working your way through a building room-by-room like that, only having to worry about enemies in the current room.

Each of your units would be a named character with a unique class, and there’d be conversations with them between missions. Here are some of the character ideas we’ve been throwing around:

And because John is a beast, he’s already modeled one in 3D:

The sharpshooter would have different staves, which you’d probably see on the UI for weapon switching, so here are some concepts for those:

Our current rule is that the functional part of an item is always magical, but it’s housed, framed, and accessorised like a modern tactical weapon.

Mechanics-wise, the concept is that you tell one wizard where to move and shoot, they do it, then you rewind and give the next one orders – they’ll execute at the same time.

Another principle I’m trying is that you can play out a turn as many times as you like before you commit – you can keep rewinding and changing your orders until you’re happy with the result. Like Frozen Synapse, but without even the uncertainty about the enemy’s actions – all of the surprise will happen on their turn.

My prototype is too early to say if either of those systems will stick, I’ll happily scrap or change them if not. I might end up making a totally different tactics game with this same theme, or as I say, the whole thing might completely fail to coalesce and I scotch the lot.

If you want to know when we have a build ready for testing, get on the Suspicious Developments mailing list if you’re not already. It’ll be a while yet, though.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw him mention it on twitter. I wonder if it will become more than a concept.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
TACTICAL BREACH WIZARDS - tacticool spellcaster combat by the developer of Gunpoint:

Pitch: Tactical Breach Wizards

[snip]
It’s partly based on a thing we used to joke about at PC Gamer sometimes, the idea of a super serious Call of Duty type military game, but the team are just wizards for some reason. We were probably all picturing different takes on this, but in my head it was kevlar over robes, staves with scopes, wands with silencers, grenades full of basilisk tears.

[snip]

Our current rule is that the functional part of an item is always magical, but it’s housed, framed, and accessorised like a modern tactical weapon.

[snip]

Requisite edgy grinch opinion: sounds like a mediocre visual joke in game form. Wizardish aesthetics lightly painted over standard firearm/melee mechanics (no this is a sniper staff so its totally different). Like a shallower shadowrun, whose wizards at least had actual magic spells and could do things non-magical characters could not. Also the close quarters melee character is female, which was a nice change of pace in '97. I guess she spent years studying magic just to get a pair of tonfas +1.

The rewind thing has potential though. Instead of the blunt instrument of RNG seeding, it embraces the save-scum instinct and incorporates it into the game and encounter design, which if it works could be pretty nice. But that would work whatever the aesthetics are.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
sounds like a mediocre visual joke in game form. Wizardish aesthetics lightly painted over standard firearm/melee mechanics (no this is a sniper staff so its totally different). Like a shallower shadowrun, whose wizards at least had actual magic spells and could do things non-magical characters could not. Also the close quarters melee character is female, which was a nice change of pace in '97. I guess she spent years studying magic just to get a pair of tonfas +1.

I see where you're coming from, but if it's well designed, challenging and fun, then none of that really matters.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
sounds like a mediocre visual joke in game form. Wizardish aesthetics lightly painted over standard firearm/melee mechanics (no this is a sniper staff so its totally different). Like a shallower shadowrun, whose wizards at least had actual magic spells and could do things non-magical characters could not. Also the close quarters melee character is female, which was a nice change of pace in '97. I guess she spent years studying magic just to get a pair of tonfas +1.

I see where you're coming from, but if it's well designed, challenging and fun, then none of that really matters.

That is true, but it is true for every game. When the aspect of the game that is irrelevant to whether it is well designed and challenging is the one that seems to be its raison d'etre, however, it does not bode well for fun. (Since he seems willing to trash or change everything except the wizardish aesthetics [including his one idea about mechanics]).

The idea of squad tactics in a modern world where everyone is a wizard could be very interesting...if it were trying to explore the idea with mechanics instead of just by giving them sniper-staves. But I will be glad if I am proven wrong about the game's shallow focus.

Elex

Arbiter
too good to be true

That is true, but it is true for every game. When the aspect of the game that is irrelevant to whether it is well designed and challenging is the one that seems to be its raison d'etre, however, it does not bode well for fun. (Since he seems willing to trash or change everything except the wizardish aesthetics [including his one idea about mechanics]).

The idea of squad tactics in a modern world where everyone is a wizard could be very interesting...if it were trying to explore the idea with mechanics instead of just by giving them sniper-staves. But I will be glad if I am proven wrong about the game's shallow focus.

sniper staves are not much different from sci fi alien sniper rifle.

both setting don’t have many limits on creating abilities and tactics for the team

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Guys, I have a pitch for a game as well, though it is not as ready yet.

Here are some of the early character class concepts.

Cocksmith

Master of the ancient dwarven dickrunes, a cocksmith can hammer enhancements on the rods of men. Cocksmiths are highly sought after by the nobility, and thus are rarely seen out adventuring.

Penismancer

Dabbling in the ancient art of penismancy, the penismancer injects vile poisons and acids into his urinary bladder, enabling him to launch vicious ranged attacks from his urethra.

Cuntalist

Those illusive people have the rare ability to channel their inner feminine powers. By focusing them as their vagina as the vessel, they can cast hexes and curses from out of it.

Fistlord

The mighty fists of the Fistlords strike fear in the hearts and rectums of friends and foes alike. A fistlord can empower friends and pummel enemies, making them extremely versatile.

Arserker

Hailing from the arid wastes of Ars'kesh, those noble savages are renown as fierce warriors. Able to incite themselves into a blind rage through repeated rectal abuse, the form of a butt-blighted barbarian Arserker charging at you ass first is certainly not a pretty sight.

Plrx support my upcoming kikestarter.

Original idea, do not steal. All rights reserved forever. (C) 1918-3018 Haba Knyllarman

Hellraiser

Arcane
Guys, I have a pitch for a game as well, though it is not as ready yet.

Here are some of the early character class concepts.

Cocksmith

Master of the ancient dwarven dickrunes, a cocksmith can hammer enhancements on the rods of men. Cocksmiths are highly sought after by the nobility, and thus are rarely seen out adventuring.

Penismancer

Dabbling in the ancient art of penismancy, the penismancer injects vile poisons and acids into his urinary bladder, enabling him to launch vicious ranged attacks from his urethra.

Cuntalist

Those illusive people have the rare ability to channel their inner feminine powers. By focusing them as their vagina as the vessel, they can cast hexes and curses from out of it.

Fistlord

The mighty fists of the Fistlords strike fear in the hearts and rectums of friends and foes alike. A fistlord can empower friends and pummel enemies, making them extremely versatile.

Arserker

Hailing from the arid wastes of Ars'kesh, those noble savages are renown as fierce warriors. Able to incite themselves into a blind rage through repeated rectal abuse, the form of a butt-blighted barbarian Arserker charging at you ass first is certainly not a pretty sight.

Plrx support my upcoming kikestarter.

Original idea, do not steal. All rights reserved forever. (C) 1918-3018 Haba Knyllarman

I think the oglaf people will sue.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Tactical Breach Wizards is a small-scale, turn-based tactics game where you play a team of wizards in modern-day tactical gear, breaching and clearing rooms full of terrorists, drug dealers, corrupt cops, and worse. It's still in early development, so everything about it might change!

Right now, combat is about finding clever ways to use your spells to smash your enemies into walls, knock them through windows, or trick them into shooting each other. They're mostly fighting back with guns and grenades, though as the game progresses you'll probably come up against enemy magic users too.

Between fights, we're planning on branching dialogue where you learn more about your team of unique characters and chat about their next objectives. We'd like to also give you some choice of equipment and skills, but no grand strategy layer or base building.

We're imagining it'll be a story driven campaign, maybe 8 hours ish, not a roguelike or permadeath game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At around the 4:30 marks, he talks about difficulty, and... well, personally, I don't like it:
Basically, he wants the game to be easy so that everyone can complete it because it is "story driven" :?, but there will be "style points" for more difficult challenges that more experienced players can do if they want.

A game designed to be easy, but you challenge yourself if you like. That's IMO the opposite of how games should be designed.

AMG

Arbiter
At around the 4:30 marks, he talks about difficulty, and... well, personally, I don't like it:
Basically, he wants the game to be easy so that everyone can complete it because it is "story driven" :?, but there will be "style points" for more difficult challenges that more experienced players can do if they want.
Sounds exactly like his previous game (Heat Signature). He has cool ideas, but I'm not fond of that design philosophy either. When I pay for game I expect the developer to prepare suitable challenges, not outsource it to the player.

Murk

Arcane
I like the emphasis on using the environment to accomplish goals (knock enemy into their own grenade, windows, knockback as a damage value, different ways to generate mana etc.), but the difficulty comment also threw up a red flag for me.

Ideally he'd make two difficulty settings where-in the harder one changes the encounters and not just +50% enemy stats. I'm thinking like how Div: Original Sin added new enemies/abilities/items with the harder difficulty settings.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/tactical-breach-wizards/xcom

Tactical Breach Wizards is an indie XCOM that strips away the uncertainty
Put wizards in tactical gear and you get a strategy game that splits the difference between XCOM and Into the Breach

tactical-breach-wizards-900x506.jpg

The first germs of the idea for Tactical Breach Wizards came to Tom Francis during a trip where his only gaming option was a PlayStation and a copy of XCOM 2. “I played XCOM 2 obsessively, like a hundred hours. I loved it, but I also had so many frustrations on the clarity, and just wanted to make an indie XCOM that would strip away all that stuff and be a lot more accessible and simpler in ways where the complexity is not interesting.”

Tactical Breach Wizards – or simply ‘Wizards,’ as Francis frequently called it during our interview – features a party of wizards outfitted in tactical gear. Every member of your team has their own abilities, which you can use to manipulate the world around you. You can see the consequences of your actions and rewind your moves at any time.

If you’ve followed the development of Francis’s previous games, like Gunpoint or Heat Signature, you know that it’s a process driven by prototypes and iteration. Wizards is driven by that core idea of tactics without uncertainty, but it’s still early in development and every concept in the game is still subject to change.

Most of the basics were shown off in a lengthy gameplay demonstration video, which gives a basic idea of how the classes and abilities will work. In one instance, we see the Riot Priest positioned between two enemies at opposite ends of a room. Then the Witch Cop sends out a lightning ability which chains from one enemy, to the Riot Priest, and then to the other enemy – knocking both baddies back and out windows in the process.

“A good sign with an ability for this game,” Francis says, “is if there could be a reason why you would use it on the enemy, and the could be a reason why you’d want to use it on a friend. If it’s that flexible, well then it’s probably the kind of thing we want to get in there.”

Some of those concepts might sound familiar after last year’s excellent Into the Breach, and Francis says that release “could have gone one of two ways” during Wizards’ development. “One way is ‘shit, they’ve done it way better than I ever will,’ and I should give up on my project and get dispirited. The way I chose to see it is that I can now build on the shoulders of giants.”

Francis describes Into the Breach as “almost as close to chess as it is to XCOM, in terms of knowing 100% what everyone’s going to do.” Wizards sort of bridges the gap between the two. It’s not as puzzly as Into the Breach can tend to be, but it doesn’t have the uncertainties of XCOM – so you’ll never blunder into a squad of enemies and face a squad wipe because of that small mistake.

The stakes are very high in both Into the Breach and XCOM, and Francis says Wizards’ rewinds help “remove the fear of failure and mistakes, and the risk that discourages people from trying interesting things.” Wizards will also focus on giving players encouragement to look for creative solutions, like special missions where you have to figure out a clever solution to a situation.

Your team will likely have six members, each representing their own class. Francis likens the game’s main story to Mass Effect 2 – it’s about building the team and dealing with things from their respective pasts. The main missions will likely set you up with specific squad members, while optional side missions will give you more options about who you send into the fight.

One of the other classes in the works, which we didn’t get to see in the video, is the Navy Seer. He’s a Navy SEAL, gruff and grizzled in the Call of Duty tradition, except that he can see the future. “It’s going to be that he can see just one second into the future, and that’s why you can rewind your turn as many times as you like. You’re not actually going back in time, it’s him knowing what would happen if we did this.”

The Seer is going to be a support class, and currently the ideas for his abilities include letting other characters act more than once in a turn. Another idea is the ‘flashback grenade,’ which will likely produce whatever effect most recently hit the Seer.

Francis hedges just about everything he has to say about Tactical Breach Wizards with the idea that it’s still early in development, very little is set in stone, and almost every feature is subject to change. That’s the approach he’s taken with most of his games, offering minute details about development the whole way. That started with Gunpoint because it was a “spare time project. I knew there was a very high chance I would just peter out, forget about it, and never finish it. So I announced publicly ‘I’m making this!’”

By now, he says offering public development updates is “very much like a support mechanism. It’s cathartic. You make something, you show it, and then people sometimes reply or like it, and you feel validated. It motivates you to keep going.”

Cross

Arcane
It just looks like a more boring version of Into The Breach, which was already designed to be as accessible and streamlined as possible, so why would you want to simplify things even further? Smaller map with no interesting terrain, less ways to mess with the environment, fewer combatants (no Vek spawns here).

That brief video already shows one of the dumbest design decisions I've seen in a game like this: characters can move through enemies. What is the point of stationing an enemy in a doorway or some other chokepoint if you can just move through them?

The first germs of the idea for Tactical Breach Wizards came to Tom Francis during a trip where his only gaming option was a PlayStation and a copy of XCOM 2. “I played XCOM 2 obsessively, like a hundred hours. I loved it, but I also had so many frustrations on the clarity, and just wanted to make an indie XCOM that would strip away all that stuff and be a lot more accessible and simpler in ways where the complexity is not interesting.”
Someone should let him play the original X-COM, if only to witness the ensuing heart attack.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1043810/announcements/detail/1714121622568076490

We're about to start our first ever test of Tactical Breach Wizards outside of the dev team, and we're going to give out Steam keys for it in three batches, so that followers in different places all get a chance.
  • The first batch will go to folks on our mailing list; you need to be on this anyway to get a key
  • For the second, we'll be telling those who Follow the game on Steam first - you'll get an e-mail with instructions if you are
  • And for the last, we'll be tweeting when they're available from @BreachWizards on Twitter
In each case, it'll be first-come first-served, and if you're on all three you've got three chances to grab one before they're gone. A few more details about how it'll work at the bottom of this post.

This test is a short, spoiler-free prototype with 3 missions of combat that let you play with various combinations of 3 different wizards. The early encounters are small and puzzle-y - we present you with a tricky situation, and you figure out how to use your character's unique talents to solve it. Later encounters become messier and a little more dynamic, with new enemies arriving each turn. One of the main goals of this test is to learn what kinds of encounters players like and want to see more of. The only dialogue is silly placeholder stuff, just to show where the real dialogue will go.

This prototype also comes with a level editor and Steam Workshop support, because why not. The level editor is the same one we use, and it's very quick and simple to build a room and test it. Workshop support is something we'll want eventually anyway, so we did it early to let us also see what kinds of player-created stuff people make and like most.

So, when we have a batch of keys ready, we'll announce it on the relevant channel, and you'll be told how to opt in. All keys will ultimately be sent via our mailing list, so you need to be on that to participate. We won't give one person more than one key. Beta keys don't get you the final game. It's Windows only for now. We'll probably close down the beta at some point, not sure when, we'll see how it goes.

While you wait, perhaps you should wishlist the game!

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It just looks like a more boring version of Into The Breach, which was already designed to be as accessible and streamlined as possible, so why would you want to simplify things even further? Smaller map with no interesting terrain, less ways to mess with the environment, fewer combatants (no Vek spawns here).

That brief video already shows one of the dumbest design decisions I've seen in a game like this: characters can move through enemies. What is the point of stationing an enemy in a doorway or some other chokepoint if you can just move through them?

Someone should let him play the original X-COM, if only to witness the ensuing heart attack.

The concept of the game is retarded already, swat wizards with regular weapons except they're magic ...

Yeah right ... They should add furries and lesbians here and there to focus on their player base.

"complexity not interesting"

if i hear something like this from a developer it really makes me think he will not be designing games I will like. I am the exact opposite of this type of person.

Absinthe

Arcane
The rewind thing has potential though. Instead of the blunt instrument of RNG seeding, it embraces the save-scum instinct and incorporates it into the game and encounter design, which if it works could be pretty nice. But that would work whatever the aesthetics are.
Druidstone has the rewind mechanic too, but you have to waste an ability slot on it and you only get to use it once per mission. That's not bad. But free rewinds every single turn is something you should only do as part of an easy mode.

A game designed to be easy, but you challenge yourself if you like. That's IMO the opposite of how games should be designed.
Agreed. This sounds like the kind of game where the gameplay is such a joke that unless you're completely bad at these games it becomes a mindless and therefore boring affair before long. He should implement real difficulty modes with additional challenges and more enemies at nastier locations instead, not this "style points" for cosmetic unlocks retardation. I'm giving this game a pass because clearly it'll be way too easy and suck, seeing as that's a deliberate design goal and many of these games tend to be too easy even when they're not supposed to be. I think the dev is going to find out the hard way that he made a game that's too boring for the people who enjoy this genre because they're too good at it to find his type of challenges worthwhile. Anyone who's not interested in the gameplay and just the story can just watch the game on youtube anyway. That's the price you pay for making games where the gameplay is a garbage time-waster and the story is the focus: People are not interested in playing it and would rather fast-forward past the boring bits.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Our last video is wildly out of date, so here's a quick look at what the game's like now! These are two short introductory missions from a beta we ran recently - the puzzles and abilities are pretty basic to start with, and we're expanding them from there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom