Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Monty

Arcane
inb4 "cuck!" is thrown around

What exactly is your position at the studio ? Water boy executive or senior developer in sanitary department ?
Senior diversity advisor

I have a feeling most of the Codex would approve of whatever advice you're dishing out :shittydog:

P2w5QW.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This sounds like playtesting hell.
It is. After a year of nothing wrong reported we found in October that half the monastery is fucked up in this regard. And only after somebody fixed some global parameters which finally changed the state of the monastery from "behaves within expected margins by accident" to "wtf why is everybody blind"?

This is bugging me - have you ever considered running the game through a closed beta? I'm not an expert but isn't it advantageous to get 200 QA monkeys gratis for a few months? It would filter out most of the stuff people are now crying about, like the lockpicking, saving, plus a mountain of feedback about bugs and glitches.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
inb4 "cuck!" is thrown around

What exactly is your position at the studio ? Water boy executive or senior developer in sanitary department ?
Senior diversity advisor

I have a feeling most of the Codex would approve of whatever advice you're dishing out :shittydog:

P2w5QW.jpg
Sure, 'cause I'm a nazi. So believe me, no actual nazies are portrayed in Wolfenstein. Which is why I didn't like it. I felt underrepresented.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This sounds like playtesting hell.
It is. After a year of nothing wrong reported we found in October that half the monastery is fucked up in this regard. And only after somebody fixed some global parameters which finally changed the state of the monastery from "behaves within expected margins by accident" to "wtf why is everybody blind"?

This is bugging me - have you ever considered running the game through a closed beta? I'm not an expert but isn't it advantageous to get 200 QA monkeys gratis for a few months? It would filter out most of the stuff people are now crying about, like the lockpicking, saving, plus a mountain of feedback about bugs and glitches.

Not a programmer, but I did beta. The thing about closed betas is that you have to keep updating the tester version of the game and reading feedback and acting on said feedback. That slows down the work on the dev-version of the game. If the team kinda already knows what's wrong with the game, closed beta is just a waste of time. Tester opinion is only relevant once you reach the "OK, we need more eyes cuz we see nothing wrong with the game at this point". Not saying KCD was rushed or anything. :lol:

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Oh you can shoot the bow from a horse even at high riding speeds, that's nice. No sarmatian perks to pick though. Henry can't hit for shit in melee but he can snipe a rabbit from a horseback 360 no scope.

Hey- Luke sucked with lightsaber but could easily bulls-eye womp rats in his T-16 Skyhopper back home and that they were not much bigger than two meters.

shit, the save system ruins the whole game. what if i can play only in short sessions? tough luck, i just can't, because autosaves are few and far.
this is retarded.

Nyast

Cipher
Congratulations, 500k sales achieved in 3 days. They're definitely starting to make a profit now. Well deserved despite the bugs, IMO.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Smejki

Answer my previous question. Also, are you planning to implement an optional quicksave in the future? What's the worst that can happen?

Raapys

Arcane
Hmm, so I...
Kinda stormed and wiped out the entire Pribyslavitz camp on my own, when doing the recon mission. There's a door that won't open, which I assume is tied to some cutscene. Would have hoped for some more reaction though, because I'm not getting any feedback that I'm awesome for being a one-man army. Also, since it was extremely easy to do so(I fought carelessly and lost maybe 10 health), maybe it should be made harder? As in, a lot harder. I guess I've fairly high character skills and equipment for this stage, but still.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
shit, the save system ruins the whole game. what if i can play only in short sessions? tough luck, i just can't, because autosaves are few and far.
this is retarded.

It's pretty easy to gallop to the nearest town and save in lodgings or a free bed (game saves everytime you sleep, even for an hour).

But yeah, the systems is as much dumpster fire shitty as it is brilliant. Maybe a bit more on the shitty side.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Smejki

Answer my previous question. Also, are you planning to implement an optional quicksave in the future? What's the worst that can happen?

Btw Smejki, have someone explain to Vavra that if you're really ready to back down and implement "Save&Quit", you might as well go full on "quicksave-quickload". Those two are functionally 100% the same, only the first one is more clunky and will piss people off. Needlessly.

You should've done a Normal and Veteran mode from the get go btw. I really love the idea of Schnapps. It'll be sad when it gets obliterated with the Save-Quit implementation.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Doesn't really matter. Wolf2 had a MASSIVE budget and produced mediocre results. KCD had a decent budget and sold like hotcakes. Investors will notice the trend. And turning a blind eye to the obvious pandering doesn't make you special. "NO, UR JUST AS BAD AS THE OTHER GUISE" is a shit tier non-argument. Sorry mate. Keep developing games, tho.
Can people stop using money and profit as an example of quality game? If money would be only thing that matters. Mass Effect Andromeda would be totally awesome, while Vogel's games would be total crap. (And Sims would be a pinnacle of game design. Which they kinda are, but only from theoretical point of view of person who studied post gradual education in game development and AI. Which for these who are normal means he probably means it was crap but for these with post-gradual it has some qualities they are using in incomprehensible dissertations about art and whatever stuff... Something like movie critics.)

KCD was released as technological disaster with some redeeming qualities. And that's it. Would it be viewed to be as extraordinary as Vampire Bloodlines were 10 years later? Probably not. Would it be better than Mafia? That's the question, when it will be viewed 10 later as better game, it would mean these developers improved themselves, and it wasn't only they had more money to throw at wall and hoped it sticks.

(Of course I'd prefer if Troika would survive as charity organization paid by government, and releasing quality freeware. But it's what it's. Players needs hope for decent games that made in spite of current profit based societies.)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It may be mediocre and poorly written (I didn't play it, so I can't know for sure), but the press talked about it in way different terms: it has 86 on Metacritic, it was nominated for many GOTY Awards, Best FPS Awards and even Best Story/Narrative Awards, because a) the press is dumb; b) it had the right "themes", let's say. What we (Eyestabber and I) are saying is that good press from the usual shit sites and being politically correct don't mean that much sales-wise, because most of the gamers don't care for that shit, and some have gone to the point of actually loathing that stuff after years of pandering and retarded articles online.
Now, I liked The New Order very much too, tbh, so I was even more disappointed to see the sequel being turned into a mess made to pander some idiots on the internet. The lesson, tho, is clear: people don't give a damn about forced (and fake) diversity or that kind of shit, they want good games, without preaching and pandering.

Oh look. :roll:

It wouldn't be the first time the media hypes a game that is actually mediocre or downright shit. The ESS JAY DOUBLE Us!! have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Btw Smejki, have someone explain to Vavra that if you're really ready to back down and implement "Save&Quit", you might as well go full on "quicksave-quickload". Those two are functionally 100% the same, only the first one is more clunky and will piss people off. Needlessly.

You should've done a Normal and Veteran mode from the get go btw.

Yes. Limited/Unlimited saving should be a choice in options menu or at least when starting a new game, coupled with a proper quicksave button. And they also need to add the option to disable those item pickup animations because fuck that nonsense. Add those things and fix the damn stuttering/freezing and this game is pure incline.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
It may be mediocre and poorly written (I didn't play it, so I can't know for sure), but the press talked about it in way different terms: it has 86 on Metacritic, it was nominated for many GOTY Awards, Best FPS Awards and even Best Story/Narrative Awards, because a) the press is dumb; b) it had the right "themes", let's say. What we (Eyestabber and I) are saying is that good press from the usual shit sites and being politically correct don't mean that much sales-wise, because most of the gamers don't care for that shit, and some have gone to the point of actually loathing that stuff after years of pandering and retarded articles online.
Now, I liked The New Order very much too, tbh, so I was even more disappointed to see the sequel being turned into a mess made to pander some idiots on the internet. The lesson, tho, is clear: people don't give a damn about forced (and fake) diversity or that kind of shit, they want good games, without preaching and pandering.

Oh look. :roll:

It wouldn't be the first time the media hypes a game that is actually mediocre or downright shit. "SJWs" have nothing to do with it.
skyrim was well received by its target audience even if its target audience eats paste.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Indeed. Skyrim is disliked by the Codex. Journos and players are on the same page on that one. The point raised went completely over Sigourn 's head. Guess that "village idiot" tag is well earned.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Indeed. Skyrim is disliked by the Codex. Journos and players are on the same page on that one. The point raised went completely over Sigourn 's head. Guess that "village idiot" tag is well earned.

You never made a point of any kind. It was literally "the game was praised because of its Ess Jay Double Yous" theme. Double retard from you since you already pointed out "the press is dumb", which was more than enough to explain why Wolfenstein II was well received despite being a mediocre game according to some users.

Else, explain it to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom