Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I will immediately throw the story companions overboard and recruit hired adventurers. I'm also looking forward to people spending an hour choosing their decisions from PoE1 before actually playing the game and the choices being cosmetic at best. Kind of like Mass Effect actually.

Sizzle

Arcane
They still haven't answered anything about the story talents. Are we going to keep them or not? I'd say those should've been exclusive to importing a save. Kind of like the attribute tomes from BG1. You can still console them in at the end either way, but it seems logical to me to be like that.

They did say something about (some/most?) story talents being in - in some way or another - and that they were looking at ways on how to do that with the new system.

And yes, I agree about the exclusive import save bonuses. Would have been a nice touch.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
They still haven't answered anything about the story talents. Are we going to keep them or not? I'd say those should've been exclusive to importing a save. Kind of like the attribute tomes from BG1. You can still console them in at the end either way, but it seems logical to me to be like that.

Since there is blood pool and deity choices, I would say you would receive them. Although the minor ones like the one you get by playing dice in white march possibly they are either not in or only available through save files.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Liston name me 5 items with distinct and unique abilities that made them game changers,in the pre white march game.
5 ? There wasn't even one :lol:
Although you could have stopped at "unique abilities".
Where's that dead horse gif ?

In PoE it was funny how according to apologists "the loot is good, it's not over the top, items are not bland, advantages are not marginal", but then "ooh, soulbound items, unique, big advantages and properties difference, so good!"

The funniest part is that some soulbound stuff from WM1 was banal shit boring :lol:
I remember posting the detail of the greenstone staff, with its "3% chance on hit to cast twin rocks" or something. Baffling.
WM2 is when they really improved overall, not just itemisation, imo.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Stuff like 3% chance to spawn X is something I never understood. There are lots of such items in IWD and IWD 2 it seems. Must be his signature style.

Parabalus

Arcane

Since there is blood pool and deity choices, I would say you would receive them. Although the minor ones like the one you get by playing dice in white march possibly they are either not in or only available through save files.

Kinda pointless to have those as a choice, who would deliberately decline free stats?
Leaving out the super minor stuff like Flick of the Wrist seems ok, but Scalebreaker or Mob Justice etc. should be in in the background chooser.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Kinda pointless to have those as a choice, who would deliberately decline free stats?
Leaving out the super minor stuff like Flick of the Wrist seems ok, but Scalebreaker or Mob Justice etc. should be in in the background chooser.

Only talents related to choices should be in the choice-generator. Like Scale-breaker, the god boons and the faction talents. Things like Dozens' Luck, Flick of the Wrist, Song of the Heavens, Blooded Hunter are either rewards from winning CYOA segments in WM or rewards for completing optional quests, so I think they shouldn't be in there.

2house2fly

Magister
How did white march end now again? For some reason I can't remember at all what is what about. Some tribal infighting or something?

with you killing a FUCKING OCTOPUS for some reason

Are you guys being hip and edgy ? Or do people really not read stuff anymore. There's an awesome cyoa moment, involving heroism and destroying an army of giant metal constructs.
I really have a hard time to believe people forgot that, It's the only thing I remember from part 2 but I distinctively remember it since it was pretty badass, casting wizard spells to survive the tides and shit.
I enjoy the final conversation with the Eyeless, though apparently the option to return Abydon's memories to him in tempered form is bugged to shit. But if that's the only part that's bugged to that extent it's a great achievement by Obsidian standards

Ulfhednar

Savant

Sort of a weird argument to make when you only have three returning characters and at least two of them have backgrounds that could easily justify options that you select for them from the underrepresented classes. Eder could deepen his faith and put down his arms to become a priest of Eothas, and Aloth, again, is potentially the leader of the Leaden Key and could start his development as a cipher for all those masked meetings. Eder and Itumaak also makes a weird sort of sense for a ranger path.

The other characters you are writing from scratch.

I wish they would stick with their promise from they figstarter to let us multiclass the characters however we see fit. I hope it makes it into Berath's Blessings, as I'd much prefer repeat playthroughs with the written NPCs than with no name hirelings.

Ulfhednar

Savant
From update #1 / the first stretch goal:

In our companion write-ups, you will see some characters described as class a/class b. This does not mean that they are forced to be multiclassed, but that the character's 1st level must be from one of those classes. For example, Edér's class is fighter/rogue. From level 2 on, you may advance Edér as you see fit, but his first class must be either fighter or rogue. This gives you the ability to customize your party companions while not fundamentally deviating heavily from their core character concept. Note that some other characters, like Aloth, must always start from a single class because it is more central to their concept. You may multiclass Aloth as a wizard/fighter, a wizard/barbarian, or a wizard/cipher, but his first class will always be wizard.

2house2fly

Magister
Sort of a weird argument to make when you only have three returning characters and at least two of them have backgrounds that could easily justify options that you select for them from the underrepresented classes. Eder could deepen his faith and put down his arms to become a priest of Eothas, and Aloth, again, is potentially the leader of the Leaden Key and could start his development as a cipher for all those masked meetings. Eder and Itumaak also makes a weird sort of sense for a ranger path.
Plus if Aloth is leading the Leaden Key he could be a priest of any god, since leading the Leaden Key implicitly means he has faith in them as a concept. One of the enigmatic ones like Wael or Berath could work, since Woedica wouldn't be an option

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/605

Update #45 - Sailing the Deadfire Archipelago
POSTED: 02/24/2018

Greetings, Backers!

We wanted to start this update with an important message: if you have yet to complete your pledges and surveys, please do so! Completing your pledge helps us get you your copy of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfireon launch day. If you have not completed your survey by this time, we cannot guarantee that it will make it into the game when Deadfire launches. We will get late surveys in through patches, but will be unable to do so on release. To fill out your survey, head over to your Eternity Account Profile and to the Surveys Page.

The High Seas
With that out of the way, on to the update! Producer, Katrina Garsten, and Design Director, Josh Sawyer, are both here to teach us about the ship crew system, ship combat, and how you backers can help us improve these features even more with your feedback. Take it away, team!

Extended Coverage
Along with the informational video above, there has been a lot of coverage this month for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire! For starters, we got on the cover of PCGamer and Gamestar!
PC Gamer Cover

https%3A%2F%2Fd1079ywfijtdjs.cloudfront.net%2Fnl%2Feternity-backer-update%2Fupdate-45%2Fpcgamer-cover.jpg

Online article - Watch Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire's ship combat in action

Gamestar Cover

https%3A%2F%2Fd1079ywfijtdjs.cloudfront.net%2Fnl%2Feternity-backer-update%2Fupdate-45%2Fgamestar-cover.jpg

Online articles:

The covers came along with a great amount of coverage from many sites. We've put a lot of them in one place for you to go through, so you don't have to hunt around.

IGN - "When setting sail, Deadfire is a totally new animal that has me excited to captain my own ship, seek out quality crew, and look to the health and welfare of a large company of waywards. Going ashore, it’s basically more Pillars of Eternity, exactly as I remembered it but with a shiny new coat of paint. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I look forward to charting a course for further horizons when the full game launches this April."

MMORPG.com - "Obsidian has expanded the IP with an amazing story, detailed and nuanced customization that will appeal to both the hardcore cRPG fanatic and new players to the series and genre. It is literally the best of all worlds."

PCGamesN (focus on ships) - "Pillars of Eternity II needs to offer something much more than high-definition nostalgia in order to succeed in 2018, and it looks like that could well be found in its dedication to seafaring and tactical battles. By expanding into new and strange directions, Obsidian are not only honouring the expectations of players, but the lineage of Baldur’s Gate and its inspired, bold sequel too."

PCGamesN (focus on AI customization) - "From just a few hours of hands-on time with Deadfire it is evident that the new AI rules and combat changes have produced a far more enjoyable experience than seen in its predecessor."

The Sixth Axis - "What’s great is to see that they’re not merely resting on their laurels, but actively going back and looking at what worked and what didn’t, taking feedback from the community that’s helped to crowdfund this game as they reshape those ideas into something even more compelling."

Be sure to check out the rest of the coverage as well and dive into the Deadfire full on!

Cubed3.com

Expansive DLC

Finder.com

Game Informer

Gameindustry.biz

N3rdabl3.com

Player2.net

RPGFan.com

Shacknews

Softpedia.com

Gamesource.it

Multiplayer.it

MMO.one

Playground.ru

Vandal.net

Coming This Holiday Season!
In case you missed it during the coverage earlier this month, we are excited to announce that thanks to our publishing partner, Versus Evil, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will be coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and the Nintendo Switch this holiday season. Red Cerberus is going to be handling the port of the game so the Deadfire team can remain focused on wrapping up the Windows PC, Mac, and Linux version of the game.

But, jumping back to the PC version: in a few weeks we'll take a look behind the scenes with the audio team and dive into what it means to bring sound to the Deadfire. In the meantime, don't forget to get those surveys filled out if you have them!

Be sure to join the conversation for this update on our forums. If you missed Update 44, check it out here!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so, since i found everything waaaaay too fast and chaotic i went and actually increased the action and recovery time for melee and ranged attacks.

feels way better.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Here's what I want to say:

I will play my first playthrough on the developers terms. I do respect their vision and appreciate that are trying to build a defined experience.

But I would also like it if the developers would let me play subsequent playthroughs on my terms. I am happy to see that Obsidian is opening up the game systems to modding, but I think the game should allow players to customize their gaming experience through systems like Berath's Blessing on release.

Basically this:

In the first Pillars game, I didn't like that had to either play the game for the story by taking the companion characters, or have the freedom to construct a combat party of my choice by taking hirelings. Giving me complete control of the companions would fix this for me in this very long game, and would let me have the experience that I want.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Duh. I've been saying that PoE's combat is chaotic and unreadable from the start. That might not be exclusively tied to the action times, though, the mind-bogglingly useless combat log and the indistinct blob of models bumping into each other are also factors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom