Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

MrEvilGuy

Educated
I've been playing this for a week, and the game is pretty shitty. First 10 hours or so were fun, but once you start to see the edges and limits of the world, pretty much a rip off of Motorcross Madness 2's world edge
motocross-madness-2_5.jpg
, it gets stale quickly. Combat is nice, but seems more like a mini game. The different aspects of the game don't really fit together. It's like you choose to do one thing, like poach animals. Or you choose to do another thing, like a quest. Or you practice shooting with arrows. Or you practice sword fighting. Or you work on improving skills. It feels like a bunch of mini games. I could just say that I hate 'open world RPGs' but that's probably because there's never been a good one. Most of my major frustrations with Oblivion like 20 years ago or whenever that was released are still present in this game, like the messed up scale of the world in relation to the story, quests, etc. The whole world is probably the size of one of a ranch that one of you Americans own. At least there's a bit more variety in voice actors and characters. The historical premise is pretty dull, like a Victorian style museum: just a bunch of artifacts on display with some descriptions in the game's codex. Difficulty is one of its highlights, but the game is still too easy.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I've been playing this for a week, and the game is pretty shitty. First 10 hours or so were fun, but once you start to see the edges and limits of the world, pretty much a rip off of Motorcross Madness 2's world edge
motocross-madness-2_5.jpg
, it gets stale quickly. Combat is nice, but seems more like a mini game. The different aspects of the game don't really fit together. It's like you choose to do one thing, like poach animals. Or you choose to do another thing, like a quest. Or you practice shooting with arrows. Or you practice sword fighting. Or you work on improving skills. It feels like a bunch of mini games. I could just say that I hate 'open world RPGs' but that's probably because there's never been a good one. Most of my major frustrations with Oblivion like 20 years ago or whenever that was released are still present in this game, like the messed up scale of the world in relation to the story, quests, etc. The whole world is probably the size of one of a ranch that one of you Americans own. At least there's a bit more variety in voice actors and characters. The historical premise is pretty dull, like a Victorian style museum: just a bunch of artifacts on display with some descriptions in the game's codex. Difficulty is one of its highlights, but the game is still too easy.
At least when you hunt with arrows in Far Cry 3, you are screaming about hitting that animal two times, and now having only explosive arrows and valid kill is ony by normal arrows.

So poaching is bad.

Is conclusion we should play Skyrim? And try to force some moder to kill level scaling and reballance Skyrim to work without it?

Rev

Arcane
Jeez how do you even beat that guy? He counters 80% of my hits and blocks the rest, interrupts all combos, master strokes takes off %30 of my health, counters my counters, and survives dozens of hits. He can stop any combo and just attack through it, I can't attack through his swings or do anything but block. All I can do is occasionally poke him but it seems to do nothing. Do enemies even have stamina meters?
I probably have better skills and stats than you have, or otherwise better equipment, because in like 4-5 strikes he was dead. His attacks did some damage sometimes but nothing major unless I got hit too many times.
Anyhow, you can always get into clinch, then press F to push him away and then do one attack that he won't be able to block if you're quick enough, then do it again multiple times. It's a bit cheesy, but it works even if everything else fails.

Elex

Arbiter
How I've been playing KCD:

-Imma do a quest
-Ooh a deer
-Shoot deer, loot meat
-Ooh another deer
-Moar meet
-Deer! It's coming right for me!
-ALL THE MEAT
-Horse is full, gotta sell the meat
-"Hi I'm happy merchant, I haz 20 grokshen"
-Horseback tour of every city
-Sell meat to every merchant in 20 mile radius
-Still more meat to sell
-Shit, nighttime, gotta sleep
-Race against the clock!
-Manage to sell all the meat before it rots
-What was I doing again?
-Imma do a quest
-Ooh a deer

10/10 best medieval poaching simulator available.
you forgot to cook the meat.

Elex

Arbiter
I wonder if it's possible for hunting to be fixed. I just saw a guy kill a deer by shooting a single arrow in the deer's ass. Also, arrows shouldn't be recoverable 100% of the time intact. You have such an item as "broken arrow" in the game already. I can understand killing a rabbit with a single arrow which hits it anywhere, but a deer should be instakilled only with arrows to the head, heart or throat/neck.
one of the bow descrption say it’s build exactly for kill a deer with an arrow.

Elex

Arbiter
:kingcomrade:

No need to put that much effort into it. The combat in KCD is actually so amazing that you can win every fight by just mashing the right mouse button.

:hero: butthurt Czechs retardo this

meanwhile in an alternative universe:

“you can’t win against henry in the church fight it’s scripted”

Elex

Arbiter
On the Robber Baron quest:
I challenge him to a duel, but when I win all the bandits there attack me and I have no chance against like ten of them, including archers from the distance. Is it a bug or are they supposed to attack you, after you defeat their leader? Because when talking with him he said that his men won't attack you if you win.

a lot of npc simply not tell the truth, sometime you discover them.

Elex

Arbiter
On the Robber Baron quest:
I challenge him to a duel, but when I win all the bandits there attack me and I have no chance against like ten of them, including archers from the distance. Is it a bug or are they supposed to attack you, after you defeat their leader? Because when talking with him he said that his men won't attack you if you win.

Jeez how do you even beat that guy? He counters 80% of my hits and blocks the rest, interrupts all combos, master strokes takes off %30 of my health, counters my counters, and survives dozens of hits. He can stop any combo and just attack through it, I can't attack through his swings or do anything but block. All I can do is occasionally poke him but it seems to do nothing. Do enemies even have stamina meters?
well the quest is all about no blood (also he is radzig friend) so i think fighting him is always the wrong solution.

also lord radzig tell you a story about him and his fighting skill so it make sense he is good.

Rev

Arcane
a lot of npc simply not tell the truth, sometime you discover them.
Except the diary says something like "I expected the bandits to attack me after I killed their leader, but surprisingly they didn't and start fighting between themselves", which is not what actually happens, since they do attack me all together. So I guess it's possibly a bug.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm about 10 hours in, not sure what's with all the whining about bugs? From what I have seen, the technical problems are on similar level to launch versions recent sandbox RPG releases, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and so on. The game certainly needs some work, but most of the bugs are goofy and don't really impact the experience as much. I feel that what this game really needed to be reviewed better, is not more QA, it's more rabid masturbatory fans who will defend the game on social media.

As for the game itself, I'm loving it so far. Writing is short and to the point, Vavra hasn't lost his touch since the Mafia days. Let's hope the quality stays high once the game opens up a little bit. Systems are often wacky and awkward too learn, but all of them combined, somehow come together to give you that medieval simulator vibe.

Obviously a lot of things are far from perfect and a lot of stuff needs work, but it seems to be selling well at least. So if they stay committed to post-launch support, I really think this might be a real gem that will be played and replayed for years and years down the line.

Beowulf

Arcane
I'm about 10 hours in, not sure what's with all the whining about bugs? From what I have seen, the technical problems are on similar level to launch versions recent sandbox RPG releases, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and so on. The game certainly needs some work, but most of the bugs are goofy and don't really impact the experience as much. [...]

The number and severity of bugs heavily varies. I, for example, experienced 3 bugs preventing me from progressing through the main questline. Not to mention the myriad of bugs related to the side quests. And I'm not talking here about glitches when NPC's are stuck on the walls, or you can't climb a flight of stairs, or something.
For someone with less time/patience/willingness to replay (sometimes multiple times) lengthy sections of the game and browse various forums in search for a solution or alternative path it can be a very negative and discouraging experience.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Something they should add is NPCs using torches inside the city and during the night in general. The rules valid for the player (not using torches in the city and unable to see in the dark at night), should be valid for the NPCs too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm about 10 hours in, not sure what's with all the whining about bugs? From what I have seen, the technical problems are on similar level to launch versions recent sandbox RPG releases, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and so on.

In general they are. It seems though KCD is buggy for more people than W3 or F4. From what I'm reading I'd say 80% are fine, 20% experience game breaking bugs. Not trying to trivialize, 20% is still a lot.

The glitchiness was blown out of proportion by "prestigious" reviewers like ACG who rushed the review out of the door on the release day even though they've played an unpatched or only partly patched preview version.

imweasel

I'm about 10 hours in, not sure what's with all the whining about bugs? From what I have seen, the technical problems are on similar level to launch versions recent sandbox RPG releases, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and so on.
The beginning of the game is pretty polished. You will start seeing a lot of bugs and very wonky design when you get deeper into the game. The excellent writing sadly also takes a huge dump.

KCD is the buggiest game I have played in a very long time IMO. Mass Effect 4 was probably buggier, but I haven't played it so I can't compare.

mildTea

Learned
I'm about 10 hours in, not sure what's with all the whining about bugs? From what I have seen, the technical problems are on similar level to launch versions recent sandbox RPG releases, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and so on. The game certainly needs some work, but most of the bugs are goofy and don't really impact the experience as much. I feel that what this game really needed to be reviewed better, is not more QA, it's more rabid masturbatory fans who will defend the game on social media.

The first half I didn't encounter almost any bug, apart from getting stuck on some stairs. But I could just crouch and continue. I think the first half was so often showcased that it just received more polish. Vávra said, that once they fix a bug, they need to check the whole from the beginning till the bug for any problems. This means that the late game bugs are much more time-consuming to fix.

If you play slowly, they might get the second half fixed before you get there. If not, get ready for some bugs in the main quest and many bugs in the side-quests. Some of them are broken completely (you complete a quest sub-objective and the next one doesn't trigger).

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Captured a cool rainstorm yersterday. This game can be incredibly atmospheric, especially with the volumetric fog console command.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I got hit by a bug that totally breaks the main quest, rendering the game unfinishable. Luckily there is a mod that fixes it, but still. Main quest? Jeez.

well the quest is all about no blood (also he is radzig friend) so i think fighting him is always the wrong solution.

My attempts at negotiation also fail, so I thought the duel was preferable to a bloodbath. In any case I'm coming back to it when I'm higher level.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How I've been playing KCD:

-Imma do a quest
-Ooh a deer
-Shoot deer, loot meat
-Ooh another deer
-Moar meet
-Deer! It's coming right for me!
-ALL THE MEAT
-Horse is full, gotta sell the meat
-"Hi I'm happy merchant, I haz 20 grokshen"
-Horseback tour of every city
-Sell meat to every merchant in 20 mile radius
-Still more meat to sell
-Shit, nighttime, gotta sleep
-Race against the clock!
-Manage to sell all the meat before it rots
-What was I doing again?
-Imma do a quest
-Ooh a deer

10/10 best medieval poaching simulator available.
you forgot to cook the meat.

If you cook the meat you remove the 'stolen smell'

Beowulf

Arcane
Anyhow, you can always get into clinch, then press F to push him away and then do one attack that he won't be able to block if you're quick enough, then do it again multiple times. It's a bit cheesy, but it works even if everything else fails.

I never, EVER, win clinches. I must be doing something wrong.

Don't just press F. Spam F, or LMB, or RMB like a madman. And get the perk called Clinch Master.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I never, EVER, win clinches. I must be doing something wrong.
Spam M1 or M2 depending on your preference. As a mace user I always use M2 because it keeps my enemy closer and makes getting overhead strikes easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom