Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

There's really no need for a new PC when you want to play good FPS. :/

Doom (the old, good one)
Doom 2
Doom 64
Doom 3 is ok (if you manage to make it out of the Alpha Labs, the RoE expansion enhances it somewhat further)
Exhumed/Powerslave
Quake 1
Quake 2 is ok
KISS: Psycho Circus - The Nightmare Child
Turok is ok
Aliens versus Predator 1 and 2
Painkiller
Far Cry 1 is ok
First Crysis is ok
The original Prey is ok

That's pretty much it.

Halo sucks imo.
So does nuDoom.

Maybe you'd also enjoy Serious Sam. I found all of them utterly mediocre.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I would recommend the original Prey the one from 2006, the first F.E.A.R game, maybe the second too, the third is just retarded, Aliens versus Predator 2, if you like dick jokes Bulletstorm, the Stalker series or at least Pripyat and the Metro games. Normally i would add Republic Commando but i played it for the last time maybe ten years ago and i can't say if it aged well or not. To be honest the FPS genre has gone to shit in the last decade you have to be very forgiving of all the decline parts of the new ones to enjoy the good parts.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
is the Halo Series good?
nope
you got to be severely brain damaged console peasant that use pad for FPS games to consider them good.
Even average FPS on PC is better than Halo.

Turok 2 Seed of Evil but I liked Turok 1 more due less maze-like levels and else.
Call of Juarez - Gunslinger and Bound by Blood
E.Y.E. - Divine Cybermancy might be cluncky but shooting is more satisfying than most modern trash under first person label
Brothers in Arms - Hell Highway
The Precursors (get patch from Wesp5)
Xenus 2 - White Gold (same as above)

It's v.hard to recommend FPS titles for new PCs cause they are so utter shitte since 2001? you got to rely on Doom WADs to not get depression from playing other first person shootah

Last edited:

Ocelot

Learned
Is the...is the...is the Halo Series good? I've heard tons.
Halo is a mixed bag and the older titles can be played solely for their single-player campaigns.

* Essentials: The first one (Combat Evolved) has a great campaign and multi-player is still alive on PC. Start from there and install the SPV3 overhaul mod if you don't give jack shit about lore and consistency.

* If you still want more: H2 on PC and H3 with its ODST expansion if you have a 360.

* Completely optional: Reach, Spartan Assault, Halo Wars 1

* Pretend they don't exist: H4, H5 (especially the PC version) and Spartan strike

As said above these are console games first and foremost. Combat evolved is the only somewhat PC-friendly title.

I don't know a lot about the FPS genre.

As said above, FEAR 1 with it's expansions is a must. You may ignore the rest. Metro 2033 is also pretty good, you can ignore it's sequel (Last Light) unless if you really like 2033. The new wolfenstein games are passable but not very good or long, especially the second one. As Karoliner said, try Republic commando which is really good, despite it's obscurity (it has NOT aged well, though). If you want more SW, play Dark Forces. Definitely play Bioshock 1, you may skip it's sequels.

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is one of the most unique and fun FPS out there but it's very rough and unpolished. It's one of my favorite FPS but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. Same goes for STALKER games.

I wouldn't recommend Far Cry 2, 3, 4, they literally bored me to tears. Obviously MP-centered games like Call of Duty aren't worth shit.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
will copy-paste my recommended FPS list with minor edits:

Best

Duke Nukem 3D
Blood
Shadow Warrior Classic
Doom 1 & 2
Doom 64
Turok 1 & 2
Quake 1 & 2
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Half-Life (+Expansions)
Stalker: Call of Pipyrat

Not PURE FPS but very good nonetheless

System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Fallout: New Vegas
Dying Light

It's OK/good/very good, not up there with the best but worth playing if you really want FPS:

The Suffering 1+2
Alien Trilogy
Red Faction
Hexen
Heretic
Strife
Exhumed/Powerslave
Wolfenstien 2009
Stalker: Call of Chernobyl
Clive Barker's Undying
Timesplitters series
System Shock 1
Deus Ex Human Revolution
King Pin: Life of Crime
No One Lives Forever
Far Cry series
Half-Life 2
Chasm: The Rift
Outlawz
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
Star Wars: Dark Forces

Third person shooters are a genre worth playing too, which I also wrote a list detailing non-popamole TPS.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd say aside from what's been mentioned, Dark Forces II is a fantastic FPS that's often overlooked. Although I'm not sure how well it plays with Windows 10.

Many of the older games have some kind of sourceport, fan patch or mod that helps the game play better on modern computers, so be sure to look into that. Powerslave EX for example is my favorite way to play the game, same goes for Doom 64 EX.

schru

Arcane
I used to prefer source ports to original releases, but I found that they too often omit some features or ‘improve’ visuals in a way that spoils the original look. In most cases using DOSBox (if your CPU is fast enough to emulate high resolutions) and early 3D card wrappers like dgVoodoo is enough to have the game run just as it did on its release.

Also worth mentioning for whomever might benefit from this: play Unreal with the OldUnreal fan patch and disable the UseMultiTexture feature in the advanced renderer settings – otherwise the game's visuals are ruined on modern systems.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In most cases using DOSBox (if your CPU is fast enough to emulate high resolutions) and early 3D card wrappers like dgVoodoo is enough to have the game run just as it did on its release.
Can you give an example of such source ports? A popular example would be GZDoom, but in that you can disable most graphical changes.

That reminds me, you should definitely play Descent if you're not a pansy.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Just gonna talk about the ones that haven't been mentioned.

nuDOOM is good. Clearly not as good as any classic 90's shooter but good fun and incline none the less. It's main problem is that the last third of the game, it starts to lose steam and become a bit repetitive.

Shadow Warrior 2 is not bad as well. But the itemization just fucking sucks. And because there's plenty of ammo/life/mana trought out the levels, it's death mechanic ruins the resource management.

For online you have Battlefield 4/1 and Rainbow 6 Siege.

There's also the first 3 Rainbow Six games wich are the kings of Tactical Shooters.

For TPS you can also try Max Payne 1 with the Kung-Fu Mod.

Star Wars: Dark Forces

C'mon man, don't leave Jedi Academy out.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The thing is, OP asked for games like NuDoom he could play on his shiny new PC. Not old games that are far from NuDoom in content and are probably much better but less flashy and mindless.

I've not played it myself, but I gather the gameplay style is pretty much- walk to room, shoot everything in room until no more spawns, walk to next room. From that description I would say Wolfenstein: The New Order probably fits. Bored me to tears personally but I've seen some fans of it in Codex. If you actually want to play a pretty decent FPS from the current generation that's not mindless, Prey (2017) was good despite what the edgelords might say.

As an outsider tip, it's not first-person, but Warframe contains enormous amounts of mindless shooting and frankly is not bad at all in smaller doses. Plus of course it's free.

Egosphere

Arcane
Serious Sam TFE / TSE were both pretty good, albeit highly repetitive. They had some elements in common with nuDoom. If New Vegas and Call of Cthulhu qualify as shooters then you can append the Operation Flashpoint series to Ash's list

schru

Arcane
In most cases using DOSBox (if your CPU is fast enough to emulate high resolutions) and early 3D card wrappers like dgVoodoo is enough to have the game run just as it did on its release.
Can you give an example of such source ports? A popular example would be GZDoom, but in that you can disable most graphical changes.

That reminds me, you should definitely play Descent if you're not a pansy.
The omission of features is rare and an example that springs to mind is from a port/remake, actually – Serious Sam: The First and Second Encounters HD, where gravity tricks in some maps are missing because the new engine is apparently totally incapable of handling them due to the way it's constructed.

I think GLQuake and its various modifications is a good example. Carmack's and many other versions don't support the overbright lighting feature, which makes the lighting dull. The added texture filtering also takes away from the game's aesthetic, I think.

In case of well-designed ports like GZDoom or EDuke32 it's rather a case of new-comers keeping on or enabling various filtering modes and new lighting modes just because they're there. Features they have are perfectly fine for playing around and new maps, but I think it's worth seeing those games the way they were originally delivered first.

Another problem I saw was with alternative renderers for the Unreal Engine. Kentie's Dx10/11 renderer makes stronger lights somewhat weak.

The issue also extends to official updates. Valve's Linux compatibility update for GoldSrc games removed EAX support and left OpenGL as the only renderer, which unfortunately down-scales all non-power-of-two textures. Valve also left HL2 in a half-broken state, with things like stretched sky textures and broken facial animations in the intro sequence for several years after Mac compatibility was added.

Then there are also reconstructions on alternative engines like those of Blood and Redneck Rampage. While they're not the same as source ports, of course, some will take them as such.

Finally, while they're not FPS games and it's not strictly a port issue, it's worth mentioning the Infinity Engine games. The problems with Beamdog's editions are well known, but the high-resolution modifications are not ideal either because the locales were not designed to be viewed so small. At least in case of Torment and IWDII it's possible to run them through dgVoodoo and not only have no artefacts, but also apply a CRT-like shader combined with upscaling that makes the visuals neither blurry like with standard LCD stretching nor pixelated like in the Enhanced Edition, but just right.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
If you're looking for strictly new:

Wolfenstein Old Blood is fun, especially for a modern FPS. Doesn't have any of the story lulls that Wolfenstein NewOrder does, although I think New Order is fun as well.
Shadow Warrior Remake is decent from what I've played.
Ziggurat is decent, but it's a rougelike mixed with FPS, and you use magic items instead of guns, which I'm not a fan of.
Saw Bioshock above, w/ the recommendation to skip the sequels. Disagree completely, Bioshock 2 is much better than the first in every way. It's def worth playing.

Call of Duty campaigns can be fun in a rollercoaster ride kind of way.

Otherwise, old FPS' are the best. The majority have been mentioned here, but original Doom is king - go to https://www.doomworld.com/ - download pwads, and you can play it for the rest of time.

Ash

Arcane
Halo series
Bioshock 1
FEAR 1
Metro 2033
new wolfenstein games

:gd:

I get that Halo and Wolfenstein aren't that great, especially for people who aren't super into shooters but the rest are solid. Are you guys aging and stuck in the past or something?

They're all variably shit. Bioshock (any) recommendations are another level of low though. Why are you recommending a game where you mindlessly run around essentially on god mode, and that also has little merit in comparison to its predecessor, System Shock 2?

Modern gamer detected.

Arcks

Educated
will copy-paste my recommended FPS list with minor edits:

Best

Turok 1 & 2
Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Why do you consider these among the best FPS? Turok games have pretty... boring level design combined with early signs of consolitis. RTCW has probably worst feeling gunplay combined with kinda mediocre level design. Especially the gunplay. They managed to combine kinda powerless feeling guns from quake with bonus of them not being accurate. Fun multiplayer, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom