Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No, I am perfectly straight even if I didn't want to, sorry

Typical freudian slip from a gay guy. He doesn't want to be straight at all, but he's fighting his pulsions. Little does he know, one of these days, he'll wake up after a crazy night of heavy drinking next to a somewhat average dude, and in a liberating sigh he'll still lie to himself : Damn, these fucking poe portraits made me gay.
They turned the fucking frogs gay

Pepe did nothing wrong.

Fredward

Scholar
portrait_eder_lg.png

Eder aged in dog years so that he could be a father figure for the orlan baby, it's the only explanation.

I don't have it in me.

yet*

Sannom

Augur
Ydwin looks like crap. Maybe it's the hair, why is it white?
Pale elves, man, they all look like that. Which was probably the most anime thing about her, aside from looking like Kabuto Yakushi or Lezard Valeth in the original concept art.

UiLysD6.png

Quick Photoshop - got lazy, spent like 5 minutes on it.
I'm not saying she's some SJW poster child or something, but girl-next-door this granny is not.
Do not blame that distinct Trump-ness on the model or the original artist, blame it on your own incompetent, untalented ass!

Trashos

Arcane
Ydwin looks like crap. Maybe it's the hair, why is it white?
Pale elves, man, they all look like that. Which was probably the most anime thing about her, aside from looking like Kabuto Yakushi or Lezard Valeth in the original concept art.

Yeah, multiple people already replied with that answer, and it is of course acceptable. For some reason I didn't notice that she was an elf in the first pic I saw (possibly because I didn't expect an elf to dress like that, and the ears were not visible). I should have guessed but didn't.

Codex Year of the Donut
No, I am perfectly straight even if I didn't want to, sorry

Typical freudian slip from a gay guy. He doesn't want to be straight at all, but he's fighting his pulsions. Little does he know, one of these days, he'll wake up after a crazy night of heavy drinking next to a somewhat average dude, and in a liberating sigh he'll still lie to himself : Damn, these fucking poe portraits made me gay.
They turned the fucking frogs gay
http://news.berkeley.edu/2010/03/01/frogs/

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I love it how he talks about the degenerate loop of rest spamming, as if someone forces the player to rest spam. Not a little bit hypocritical, our dear friend.

Edit: it's clear that he is using SA at least in part for rationalization of his own decisions. Considers himself impartial :)

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I feel like it's an intentional muddying of the waters to throw the reduced party size and removal of vancian casting into the same bucket, as if both the reasons behind those changes and the reaction against them in the beta were in any way the same.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sawyer is being super defensive as of late, which is out-of-character for him. I like how he acts like there is literally no solution to rest spamming and having to manage 6 party members, so his struggle is real and unsolvable. The "limitations of controlling 6/7 party members" is there because he couldn't restrain himself from populating the classes with same-y per-encounter abilities that you have to mindlessly click through, AND the lack of manageable turns/rounds to structure the combat. I don't see why he thinks attributes are polar opposite of classes, though, I agree that they are more valuable in classless systems, but still.

The cross he carries is carved by himself, by trying to mold an inherently grognard system like D&D to fit normies and ignores all the solutions to the problems he himself created because the game will be teh hard. Play on Story Mode if it's so hard, that's why it's there. Speaking of Story Mode, the difficulties also allow him freedom that nothing else will, he can apply all the solutions that will make his issues go away on PotD and maybe Hard. See, this is why his outbursts make little sense to me, the one about ship combat as well, he has all the solutions in-front of his face, yet he refuses to use them and acting like he's stuck in a straitjacket.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Sawyer is being super defensive as of late, which is out-of-character for him. I like how he acts like there is literally no solution to rest spamming and having to manage 6 party members, so his struggle is real and unsolvable. The "limitations of controlling 6/7 party members" is there because he couldn't restrain himself from populating the classes with same-y per-encounter abilities that you have to mindlessly click through, AND the lack of manageable turns/rounds to structure the combat. I don't see why he thinks attributes are polar opposite of classes, though, I agree that they are more valuable in classless systems, but still.

The cross he carries is carved by himself, by trying to mold an inherently grognard system like D&D to fit normies and ignores all the solutions to the problems he himself created because the game will be teh hard. Play on Story Mode if it's so hard, that's why it's there. Speaking of Story Mode, the difficulties also allow him freedom that nothing else will, he can apply all the solutions that will make his issues go away on PotD and maybe Hard. See, this is why his outbursts make little sense to me, the one about ship combat as well, he has all the solutions in-front of his face, yet he refuses to use them and acting like he's stuck in a straitjacket.

They are at the end of the development cycle and have been in crunch mode for some time. He is probably exhausted, that makes people defensive and path dependant, especially in regards to things that could create more work.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Rebalancing the game with 4 weeks left to release? Ain't nobody got time for that. It's comforting to look for rationalizations instead.

Mazisky

Magister
I have the impression that the game is far from being finished, with all those changes and doubts even from the devs....i guess we will see an huge amount of patches month over month after release. Just like Poe1

Better to wait summer for a 1st playthrough

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's obvious they won't rebalance the game in 1 month, they are probably on a bug squishing spree atm and whatever else crunch time entails. So, yeah, it will be worth waiting a few months for patches and rebalances.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Sadly, what was fundamentally broken in PoE may very well remain fundamentally broken in Deadfire. For me this is the out-of-whack combat + useless no-brainer per-encounter buttons which your job is to click. Nothing new has been learned. At this point I'm more curious how much can this be changed by modding.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If this speed mod they incorporated speeds the casting and recovery times to PoE levels, yeah. The resource pool is a better implementation of the per-encounter abilities imo, because it allows you to use some abilities more than once and it forces you to choose what to use and what not to. They really should drop that beta update, though, it's literally 1 month away from release atm.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are at the end of the development cycle and have been in crunch mode for some time. He is probably exhausted, that makes people defensive and path dependant, especially in regards to things that could create more work.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I don't get why you're so snarky.
Do you really consider josh sawyer to be the kind of guy who would hide behind rationalizing his decisions rather than address the issues ? Are we talking about the dude who felt like remaking his whole game systems after ungrateful cunts like us analyzed all its shortcomings (and rightfully so) ?
I don't understand and it pisses me off so much. I'm all for ruthlessly criticizing crpgs, especially from companies that are supposed to be veterans by now, and I did so at release for poe which I deemed shit (context taken into consideration).
But there's really no reason for an actual grog to be so negative about deadfire right now. I don't even understand what obs and/or sawyer did or said that make people react negatively to anything they do. (No, really, I would like to know if someone could fill me in).
I'm not saying we should be positive cunts in an echo chamber of bliss, but comments like "rather rationalizing than addresing the problem" makes me fucking angry.
Like, literaly, when they work on attributes it's "well there's only one month left lmao, quit this autistic tuning sawyer you retardo", and when they sit on their decision "the fuck, these lazy assholes don't address the blatant issue ?"
Do you even realize how caricatural you read ?

The cross he carries is carved by himself, by trying to mold an inherently grognard system like D&D to fit normies
The dude has seen his company lay a shit ton of people off after making New Vegas in a way that would please fans after the horrendous fallout 3.
He even saw himself be said that he'd be laid off if his game didn't work, a game about stuff he doesn't like (elves and shit) based on games with so dedicated fans that they even reacted to the shape of the mouse cursor in the poe beta. Will you really give this guy shit for trying to make games that haven't been released in two decades in a way that doesn't involve googling "why does the greater mummy feel nothing ???!" for every encounter ? Don't you guys have a bit of humanity left inside of you ? Is it all rotten ?

I'm such a pissed off fanboy storyfag :negative:
May this game get released already, so I can get closure over realizing that I've been let down yet again with some shit ass writing and under-used systems and mechanics.

Trashos

Arcane

My understanding is that they have noone in-house working on tuning PotD, is that correct? I don't understand why Obsidian does this, it's like they don't know that all the people who are going to care about the game's systems are going to end up playing on PotD.

Like, how many people does a company need to have in total, so that there is at least one person seriously looking into the hardest difficulty setting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
As far as I know, yeah, nobody in Obs can play the game on PotD, and so that difficulty goes virtually untested, that was true in PoE as well. And even then, PotD in PoE wasn't even as difficult as SCS, which is the most lenient of BG's difficulty mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom