Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Have any of the builds of Duke Nukem Forever ever leaked?

Cat

also: ⛽
I prefer this one.

TonyTiger

Educated
A few more tidbits of information about the "2001" version of the game:

- "The weapons are insanely cool But the builds are unstable as hell. The tech is so far ahead of its time"

- "I love the pipebombs through You can install new modes to them (like mods) For instance they have a display, and when you press a button they change modes. For instance a sticky grenade."

- "There are also Injectors. Small chrome guns you can use to inject different substances into your body. One of them is health, but you can also use them as antidotes for poison etc. you can get new viles for the injection gun and use them for different things."

On one of the desert missions including the Donkey ride and sandworm featured in the 2001 trailer:

"You start it by getting a ride on a donkey. An on rails scene. The mission is to find Gus. The level after this is cooler though. Gus gets eaten by a huge sandworm. The next level takes place entirely inside the worm. The worm that eats the donkey eats Gus in the actual game."

Gus as he appears in the 2001 E3 trailer:

2ULZGK6.png

The on-rails Donkey ride sequence as featured in the 2001 E3 trailer:

pSqkOIM.png

The sandworm eating the donkey as featured in the 2001 E3 trailer:

MnYxQUQ.png

This screenshot was also given some context by Frederik Schreiber as to how it fits in to the game:

dff0C3n.png

"That's !z1l6. Old screenshot though. It's the bottom of the lady killer
The first few levels you are at the top floor. Then you fight your way down through the hotel. It's very survival horror."

JBro

Arbiter
Make sure you all tweet Randy Bitchford about how much you want DNF 2k1.

Cat

also: ⛽
I just remembered that in that hilarious trailer they actually used vertexguy's cover of Grabbag.

Zer0wing

Cipher
At least have decency and leak edited script and design documents already. :negative:

TonyTiger

Educated
Too bad about the inaccuracies. The author claims that Gearbox Software offered them a licence for Duke Nukem Forever...this isn't true...those Tweets are from a completely unrelated discussion about Slipgate Studios possibly being granted a licence to do a Duke Nukem platformer if Rad Rodgers was received well, it was so they did but couldn't offer funding.

Someone should ring in to Randy Pitchfords live show and ask about it. https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/970394599507353600

JBro

Arbiter
Everybody call and tell him to do whatever he needs to do to make this happen.

Charge for it, whatever. Whatever he needs to do to let Frederik release it.

TonyTiger

Educated
A couple of screenshots of the 2001 version leaked to 4chan a couple of days ago. They don't show much, I guess with the publicity on the 2001 version they wanted to try and get a bit more attention to it...

mwJJexa.jpg

J4fknpr.png

HEKE

Educated
I want closure, so hopefully someone leaks it at some point. Hell, I'd play it even if it turns out to not be that good.

schru

Arcane
3D Realms didn't want to lose to Valve so it put Duke back in the ring.

Vainamoinen

Novice
Guys, anyone able to give me the exact time stamp of the googlechat in which they talk about DNF? Thanks to holes in a lot of stories here, it's well worth investigating to a fuller extent what the legal situation is and what kind of QA we'd be looking at for a release of this game. Fred Schreiber appears way too confrontational here, and his track record of releasing games pre-QA isn't the greatest, so I'd also really love to have a much clearer picture as to what "80%" actually does mean.

TonyTiger

Educated
Guys, anyone able to give me the exact time stamp of the googlechat in which they talk about DNF? Thanks to holes in a lot of stories here, it's well worth investigating to a fuller extent what the legal situation is and what kind of QA we'd be looking at for a release of this game. Fred Schreiber appears way too confrontational here, and his track record of releasing games pre-QA isn't the greatest, so I'd also really love to have a much clearer picture as to what "80%" actually does mean.

There's no holes in any stories and Fred Schreiber isn't being confrontational. Here's the timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JephRoi3os&t=41m10s

- Randy claims 2K holds publishing rights and they're reaching a deal for a Duke Nukem Collection that could 'potentially' include old builds

- Fred makes an offer to prepare old builds for free, the editor for free, and do any necessary work as 'fan service'

- Randy claims they would have to pay certification costs, do quality assurance, and even if all work was free it would still cost money - for anyone out of the loop here you don't pay certification or put prototypes through quality assurance. You release them as they are. Freds offer is to do basic fixes so they're stable on modern operating systems and remove any personal information or content that can't be released publicly like source code

- Someone asks about Duke Nukem 3D old builds, in the case of Duke3D Gearbox owns all the rights no complications with a publisher. Randy uses the same excuse - which is a complete lie. As said in different posts Croteam, Volition, id Software, 3D Realms, and others have released builds to fans for free.

- "80%" complete means large sections of the game are playable. It has been revealed that before this call and Fred spoke to Randy Gearbox had very little material outside of the final iteration of the game, Randy even incorrectly states that little existed of those builds before Fred corrects him and Randy admits he hasn't actually seen any of the content...because they don't have it..after this call took place Fred packaged up all the Duke Nukem Forever material and sent it to Randy.

He makes many references to a Duke Nukem collection that pretty clearly shows he has no interest unless he can sell it even with offers to do work for free.

There's no hidden agendas, attempts to get paid here, nothing like that. They released ten Shadow Warrior prototypes for free without money exchanging hands, they released a build of Major Stryker for free recently. They're just fans involved in the company that see the value in this content as we do.

Vainamoinen

Novice
There's no holes in any stories and Fred Schreiber isn't being confrontational. Here's the timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JephRoi3os&t=41m10s

Thanks for this! Still struggling with some of the central details you've mentioned, probably because they don't follow during the 10 minutes following that time stamp. In particular, I'm hunting for:

• "Fred makes an offer to prepare old builds for free, the editor for free, and do any necessary work as 'fan service'" Where does this occur?
  • Pitchford "asserted that little existed of the game at that time [which time?] which was refuted rather quickly by Frederik Schreiber" - the only instance I find is when Pitchford talks about the 1998 trailer, and there's no rebuttal from Schreiber at that time

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You know a Codex thread is interesting when it brings out users that have been lurking for 12 years and they double their post count. :martini:

Vainamoinen

Novice
You know a Codex thread is interesting when it brings out users that have been lurking for 12 years and they double their post count.

Sorry, you can't have my account. :cool:

And I do wonder whether the fact that I happen to have a 12 year old account is more or less interesting than TonyTiger having a freshly registered one.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but they made it so that not even the unreal engine version of duke3d was released even if it was complete because Randy kept lieing about the license and could have sued the developers if they had released the game

So why would you trust he would be willing to release it?

It's not a matter of license anymore, it's all about the fact that no matter what happens if Randy thinks he can get 1 dollar out of this he will sue even the dogs of the people that released stuff related to duke

Edit: another thing: releasing it for money doesn't mean that for him it is a satisfying course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom