Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, all the 'Tales of' series translations by Absolute Zero are now dead. The worst of it is that they were getting pretty close to finishing up the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake. Given that they're also taking down old, complete patches I wonder if Bamco threatened them. The main translator was doing live streams and chats of him working on Destiny that he seemed to enjoy doing, so I don't think he just burnt out like what happens with a lot of fan translators.
Just read this. Jesus, why.

ToD remake and ToD 2 on PS2 will never get translated. And the new Tales games do not have the charm of these older titles I always felt.

Ah fuck my day just ended much worse and tomorrow will probably be shit.

Yeah, it really sucks. What makes it worse is that he tries to paint it as if he's somehow helping everyone by dropping all his translations. That now Bamco will see the light and immediately start translating all the older titles now that his free fan translations are no longer in the way.

I mean, if he doesn't want to work on the stuff anymore, fine -- while of course there's going to be a lot of butthurt and disappointment over it he was doing it for free, so he doesn't really owe anyone anything. But trying to frame it as some sort of noble sacrifice feels disingenuous.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Got some surprises collection of The Great Battle games got english patches release from AGTP today in order to celebrate his 19th anniversaries (he's not apparently dead)

The Great Battle: https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=tgb1
The Great Battle 2 - The Last Twin: https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=tgb2
The Great Battle 3: https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=tgb3
The Great Battle 4: https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=tgb4
The Great Battle 5: https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=tgb5

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
This looks cool : https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3487/
3487screenshot1.png
3487screenshot2.png
3487screenshot3.png

From there :
SWAT: Special Weapons and Tactics is a role-playing game developed by Shouei and published by Toei Animation. This game was only ever released in Japan for the Famicom.

The player takes control of a five member team of special anti-terrorist agents as they break into a building where a hostage situation is taking place. Their goal is to take out the villains and free the hostages. Battles with gunmen take place in a traditional RPG style turn-based battle. Players enter the commands for each surviving member of the team, including what weapon to attack with, and which target to attack. When not in battle, the player views the building in a traditional 3D dungeon perspective, moving through the hallways, choosing which rooms to investigate, which traps to disarm, and how to proceed to the end of the game within a given time limit.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I briefly tried SWAT, up to the beginning of the second floor (there are 8 according to the description).
The beginning was hilarious, on my second fight one of my character threw a heavy bomb which defeated the enemies but also heavily damaged all my characters and killed 3 (all) hostages. After the fight I chose to interrogate an enemy, using "emergency measures" and the enemy died from torture.

That said overall I'm not impressed, I probably won't ever play again.

Some random thought :

- There's no character progression, no equipement except a weapon and I don't know if you can find new weapons other than those you have in the beginning (3 SMG, 1 rifle and 1 "bombs"), I didn't find any.

- Therefore, the game is really only looking for the next exact same boring combat over and over, at least up to there. Some enemies seem to take longer to defeat, that's it.

- You don't have to kill the enemies, one time a sleep bomb (which seem only to target the enemies) made the 2 enemies sleep and the fight was finished, and I could interrogate them. If they're dead then you can't. I didn't get any real info by interrogating the enemies. Note that I may have been lucky with the sleep bomb because never again did I manage to make another enemy sleep despite trying a lot.

- You have 24:00, on a real time basis but you can use medicine outside combat, which costs 00:05, I haven't noticed if anything else also takes time.

- You have to remove alarm triggering traps while exploring, these are visible and I guess you mustn't go through them, one time I did and nothing happened, but it may be because they weren't any more enemies in the corridor (you can "listen" and it tells you if there are enemies in the corridor). You can also search for traps, not sure how it really work, if some are not visible or so.

- During combat you choose which body parts to target, possibly dealing more damage when targetting the head. You can also choose between "fight" and "cover"ing fire, no idea what that changes. No idea how ammos work, maybe ammo is not a thing for guns (I never lacked any) but at a point I didn't have any more sleep bomb, then any more smoke bomb a while later, although I don't know where you can see that info other than not being able to use them anymore. You have one "bombs" to equip to one of your character and it's the only one who can use the diverse bombs.
After finishing the first level I got sleep and smoke bombs again but once again no idea how many.

- At the beginning of the first level you choose if you enter from front door or from behind.
First time I chose from behind, when I restarted the game I chose front door and got attacked 4 times in a row immediately.

- To go to the next level it seems that you have to bet all the enemies then use your "communicator", several times I tried and it basically said "No, you can't leave, there are still enemies" and the last time it said "OK let's go".

- There's no saving, you get a password at the end of a level.

Skall

Learned
That's not surprising; SWAT was one of the early NES RPGs and despite some large-ish sprites, it didn't sound all that appealing:

Bonus: the next game in the video (following release order) is the original Megami Tensei, a much more interesting if still somewhat archaic title.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, Megami Tensei 1, Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 2 released during the same period are all very good so they've got no excuse.

Deflowerer

Arcane
For some reason I wish there were more modern titles that adapted non-blobbery settings and ideas to blobber design.

WWII blobber, anyone?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The Dynamic Designs team officially announced the translation of an historical RPG :

Looks very cool.

By the way it seems the translation of the SNES version of G.O.D. (there's a PSX remake), inspired by Earthbound?, could be their next translation release.

I'm always amazed by the amount of yet not translated NES/SNES games, these teams really are doing God's work.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How does one work on fan translations of games? I might be able to work on some Japanese > English and Mandarin > English translations soon, but how do you start?

Deflowerer

Arcane
How does one work on fan translations of games? I might be able to work on some Japanese > English and Mandarin > English translations soon, but how do you start?

Hook up with some hacker who is willing to team up, unless you want to learn hacking itself which can be a massive pain.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Hook up with some hacker who is willing to team up, unless you want to learn hacking itself which can be a massive pain.
What tools would you be using for the hacks? IDA? GDB? I guess I could learn more in that field, since I've already got some experience with software debugging and exploitation, might be similar?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hey, I need to try this one after I finish G.O.D., I really like adventure/RPG hybrids.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3534/

Description :
Cleopatra no Mahou (The Cursed Treasure of Cleopatra) is a hybrid graphical adventure / first person RPG for the Family Computer Disk System. It was the only Cleopatra game that Square made. It looks and plays unlike any of their other console RPGs. On the plus side it has nice graphics with animated 1st person enemies, it is rather short and fairly easy. Unfortunately, it has a relatively poor battle system and overly simplistic dungeon layouts.

Cleopatra no Mahou is the last RPG that Square made before Final Fantasy; called Final because there was a good chance it was going to be Square’s last game. It is also the last game Square made before Nasir joined them. The games programmed by Nasir for Square for the Famicom following Cleopatra no Mahou are:

• Highway Star (Rad Racer)
  • JJ Tobidase Daisaksusen (The 3-D Adventures of Worldrunner) and II
  • Final Fantasy I, II, and III
3534screenshot1.png
3534screenshot2.png

3534screenshot3.png
3534screenshot4.png

p26-1.png
p17-2.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm about 10 hours in the game and so far it's fun, the setting and story are cool, exploration is limited but there is some side content I haven't unlocked.
About combat it's complicated, it's OK but I'm taking my time and it's a little tedious because of that, even more than in other games, because character progression feels exponential for different reasons like how defense reduces damage and or how you gain more and more HPs per level, but if you don't play as slowly as I do then it's probably quite fun. Besides skills are varied and I have yet to unlock more than half of them and the game gets harder as you progress anyway.
It's probably a good game but I'm not sure yet.

Last edited:

LJ40

Cipher
I'm about 10 hours in the game and so far it's fun, the setting and story are cool, exploration is limited but there is some side content I haven't unlocked.
About combat it's complicated, it's OK but I'm taking my time and it's a little tedious because of that, even more than in other games, because character progression feels exponential for different reasons like how defense reduces damage and or how you gain more and more HPs per level, but if you don't play as slowly as I do then it's probably quite fun. Besides skills are varied and I have yet to unlock more than half of them and the game gets harder as you progress anyway.
It's probably a good game but I'm not sure yet.
I really don't have anything to add, but this is 100% my experience with G.O.D. so far. Although, I will say it gets a bit better when you finally get a new party member or two. Fighting alone got really fucking old fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom