Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age website coming SOONish!

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
They've postponing this all day for what? I bet they began creating this webpage this morning. I was expecting at least some screenshots. Lame.

mahdi

Liturgist
I knew I should have said "In before Volourn quotes me."

There is no way anybody on the planet could take you seriously. Clearly I was exaggerating. Have fun fucking up the English language and arguing with yourself.

I did actually check the site every so often, because I have some slight amount of faith in BioWare. Although I don't really give much shit about RPG elitism, I can manage to enjoy the classic RPGs, as well as some of the new fad of Action RPGs. Sure there won't be some "magic return" to a lot of ideas of the past, but I do like some of the stuff that some are trying to do, even if their ideas fail in execution, they're still trying at least somewhat, despite having to do some bad shit purely for mass consumption as most media must do (see most movies, Fox News, etc.)

Castanova

Prophet
Man, a teaser for a teaser for a trailer... and the completely pointless addition of that subtitle. Was that supposed to cast some additional light onto the premise of the title? "Dragon Age? Fuck that... but, wait, what's this. Dragon Age: Origins... oh, NOW I get it. Hell yeah, I'm on that like white on rice!"

J1M

Arcane
More July 9, 2008.

Bioware employees on July 9:
"We don't really know, there should be information up later this afternoon."

July 9, 9:00pm:
Dragon Age: Origins, the highly anticipated dark fantasy epic is set to debut on GameTrailers TV airing this Friday night at 1:00am on Spike TV and Spike HD. The trailer will be available in High Definition after it airs at gametrailers.com
Translation:
"Please pirate our game. We are so stingy we can't even tell you when we are going to announce a trailer release date, so we sure as fuck won't have a demo."

My interest in this game went from above average to zero. Good work Bioware!

While I am at it, have you guys heard of Blizzard? You could certainly learn something from them when it comes to art design, combat, and announcements. I'm going to give you a top secret link to a site showing how!

http://www.diablo3.com/

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L People should get off Blizz's dick.

Also, if your deicsion to purchase a game is abvsed on something as this; you ar emore shallow than the most shallow game ever.

R00fles!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Castanova said:
Man, a teaser for a teaser for a trailer... and the completely pointless addition of that subtitle. Was that supposed to cast some additional light onto the premise of the title? "Dragon Age? Fuck that... but, wait, what's this. Dragon Age: Origins... oh, NOW I get it. Hell yeah, I'm on that like white on rice!"
The subtitle can only mean that they've set this up as a franchise and plan to put out sequels. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the game it's gonna be.

Also, didn't the logo get grittier?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ismaul said:
The subtitle can only mean that they've set this up as a franchise and plan to put out sequels. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the game it's gonna be.

It's EA, man.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ha, that is so funny. More July 9th!

Ok we lied July 11th, on Spike! Suckers!

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
J1M said:
Really? All that way based on just this?

Dang. That didn't take much. :(

While I am at it, have you guys heard of Blizzard? You could certainly learn something from them when it comes to art design, combat, and announcements. I'm going to give you a top secret link to a site showing how!

So... I'm confused. Hype is the worst thing ever and responsible for everything that is bad in the industry... but we should be better at it? I forget, are we Evil Incarnate because we are the masters of hype? Or because we suck at it?

You fellas are so finicky.

Murk

Arcane
its like there's some radiation in this thread that makes people into cunts or something, what's with all the pointless flaming?

Ryuken

Liturgist
They just don't have patience enough although I have to agree that Diablo III is how an announcement should be done: all the info/goodies available at once for everyone at one place and no shitty third party sites to 'rely' on.

Still looking forward to this although the Origins subtitle sounds a bit cheap. Nice to see how the Bioware community update only discusses BG and NWN, it's good to keep things PC RPG-only, hopefully DA will not be making any compromises for a console audience.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So Dgaider - is your game still PC only?

Mikayel said:
its like there's some radiation in this thread that makes people into cunts or something, what's with all the pointless flaming?

ah yes, just like that thing with hyping that we will show you something on July 9, showing it on July 10 without really showing it and promising to really show you it on July 11.
Even Bioware's hype feels so vapourware

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The thing that interested me is the call to modders. I had earlier heard that Dragon Age would include a toolkit. Looks like they changed their minds. Which makes sense based on NWN and NWN2.

Shannow

Waster of Time
@Dgaider: I really wonder whether you are just having fun pulling some codexer's ass hairs or if you are actually being defensive.
In case it is the second and you actually feel unjustly put in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, I'll try to present the problem in a more comprehensive manner than has been done in this thread before.

People (gamers) are interested in information about games. People on RPG sites like the Codex are especially interested in RPG games. We want to know "stuff" about games like Dragon Age. That does not mean that people like hype. The difference being that hype is used to get the gamers anticipating a game, usually by claiming that the new game is the best thing since sliced bread and having magazines putting up glowing (p)reviews that often give false impressions. Usually gamers become cynical because of hype. Since the Codex is rather cynical by nature, hype is especially despised here. But we still want information. (Hype = "You WANT our game!" ; Interest = "I am interested in your game.")
Bioware and Blizzard both created hype. Revealing some big secret at a certain date = increasing anticipation. Since that is a rather harmless form of hype it could have been forgiven. Blizzard followed the hype with actual information so even cynical people interested in D3 forgave them. Bioware followed up with the announcement of more hype :roll:

"Bioware has take some heat about DA (vaporware, etc) and now they are taking heat for proving that DA exists?" Damned if you do, damned if you don't?
No. You first got heat for announcing a game and then being quite stingy with information for years.
Then you announce this website and people expected more than "rejoice, there'll be a trailer soon!"
Whether either is fair is another matter, but Bioware could have easily avoided both. It is not "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" it is "damned because of what you did".
Baiting potential customers on the internet won't change that.

PS: Volourn, you are back to being at your lowest.
And whoever kept pressing F5 should have pressed alt+F4 :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"PS: Volourn, you are back to being at your lowest."

Boo fuckin' hoo. I shed tears over your hatred of me. Or not.

BIO kicked all the whiny interent geeks'a sses here. they owned them big time, and I luagh and I laugh and I laugh.

Don't blame them for everyone's imaginations gone wild. It's not like they promised people free blow jobs from HOt celebreties.

They hyped more info on DA and we got it including a new name, new newsletters, a video coming on.

And, more important, I laugh at internet geeks crying over something as trivial as this.

Hahahah!!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hm if this would lead to the Witcher team borrowing their engine and making more good games, I'm all for it.

Go Dragons!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Dgaider said:
J1M said:

So... I'm confused. Hype is the worst thing ever and responsible for everything that is bad in the industry... but we should be better at it? I forget, are we Evil Incarnate because we are the masters of hype? Or because we suck at it?

Listen, Gaider, you're tool. How could you possibly know the subtle nuances of the perpetual and divine mechanism of Codex Hivemind? Don't even bother. If you will, you'll no longer remain yourself. It's like looking in the eye of Vasilisk.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Volourn said:
"PS: Volourn, you are back to being at your lowest."

Boo fuckin' hoo. I shed tears over your hatred of me. Or not.
Disappointment != Hatred.

I bet you do.

And, more important, I laugh at internet geeks crying over something as trivial as this.

Hahahah!!
Yes, the salty sweetness of tears shed by frustrated virgins are the princess' aqua vitae. It keeps her happy and makes the itchy rashes bearable. At least somebody gets something out of the new DA website.

Castanova

Prophet
Well played, Shannow. Usually Dgaider is relatively even-keeled but I guess he's only "subtly" critical of the BioWare/industry hype machine when it doesn't apply to his own game. This teaser for a teaser was pathetic and added no value for anyone.

That said, hopefully the ACTUAL trailer raises my hopes for this game a bit. If it looks like a 3D version of the Infinity Engine then I will more than pleasantly surprised that there's more than one major game company that understands the value of isometric view. If it looks like a poor man's Gears of War mixed with Lord of the Rings then I will be disappointed for a moment and then proceed to laugh my ass off.

J1M

Arcane
Dgaider said:
J1M said:

We all know that you require hype for various reasons to sell a high profile game these days. The point you are pretending to miss is that your hype should contain some real information about the game. If for some reason the marketing department is suddenly running Bioware, you should at least state your personal disapproval of how things were handled.

The reason my interest in this game dropped so much is because the attitudes and responses from Bioware developers and employees with regards to this epic failure have not been those of people who are gamers at heart, but instead those of PR fags towing the company line.

PR fags make games like Oblivion and Jade Empire. ie: shit.

Gamers make games like Diablo II and World of WarCraft.

What would I rather play? Hmm.

EDIT: I love how you ignored the art design and combat comments. I guess you guys are so lost you don't even know what you are doing wrong? Or would publicly admitting Jade Empire's combat was really weak get everyone fired and cause EA bankruptcy?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Blame it on us when something gets bad hype, its the only way. :volourn:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom