Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age website coming SOONish!

Texas Red

Whiner
"PR fags make games like Oblivion and Jade Empire. ie: shit.

Gamers make games like Diablo II and World of WarCraft."

Stop sucking Blizzard's cock. Both of those games are awful and generic on all sides, compromising mainly of hacking stuff. The announcement of D3 initiated a faze of major slobbery here on the Codex, apparently because the previous titles had "atmosphere" and were more "fun" than other diablo *clones*. True artists, in whatever field, aspire to improve themselves, yet Blizzard is content with the steady flow of money from the sheeple.

That said, I'd rather have JE, a game which I don't particularly like, because simply clicking on enemies or conversing with American uneducated idiots is not stimulating enough.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
J1M said:
My interest in this game went from above average to zero. Good work Bioware!
Really? All that way based on just this?

Dang. That didn't take much. :(

While I am at it, have you guys heard of Blizzard? You could certainly learn something from them when it comes to art design, combat, and announcements. I'm going to give you a top secret link to a site showing how!

So... I'm confused. Hype is the worst thing ever and responsible for everything that is bad in the industry... but we should be better at it? I forget, are we Evil Incarnate because we are the masters of hype? Or because we suck at it?

You fellas are so finicky.

masters of evil? no. maybe you is more like those little troll doll thingies... of evil. is not big evil or meaningful evil, but is becoming a sorta audible-groan-inspiring banal kinda evil.

Gromnir actually defended bio during the securom thing (and that were after our banning,) 'cause truthfully, not more than a minuscule number of legit purchasers would be affected. US serviceman overseas who play crpgs and have a rig for doing so? nevertheless, some biowarian folks made situation worse by trying to mislead people. biowarian claim that pretty much every previous bio game used securom were misleading, no? if not same securom, then why make such a claim?

recent years has seen an increase in biowarian nonsense. is tougher to criticize biowarian game features on biowarian boards, and now you gots a silly internet advertising campaign that is seemingly mostly smoke and mirrors. je weren't as successful as anybody at Bio probably hoped, but again, some folks spun stories 'bout just how big a winner it was. of course, we is doubting it were Dave's idea to announce July 9 and then offer nothing, but such stuff is seeming kinda disingenuous.

truth-to-tell, most of the actual bioware developers is still willing to discuss actual game stuff with the fans in an open and constructive fashion. sure, the boards ain't quite the relative free-for-all they once was, but the boards is still far more poster friendly than 90% of other game developer game boards we has seen, which is more impressive given the sheer volume of postings. is much easier to let little fires burn at obsidian than at bioware.

rpgcodex is, and always has been, a nest of maggots crawling over the slowly moldering corpse of the Hardcore CRPG. bioware is the enemy 'cause you is making games that has broad appeal... 'cause you has been successful & have gained critical approval while doing so. if you were a failure, nobody at codex would care, but you is the poster child for game developers who wanna make money in the slowly dwindling crpg niche market. the maggots 'round here is so attached to their rotting meat that they sees Bio success as a threat. you is sell outs and hype mongers. your watered down version of hardcore crpgs cannot possibly be successful 'cause of craftsmanship, 'cause that would be giving you credit as you continue to distance yourself from what codexers thinks of as the hardcore ideal. somehow, bioware gets blamed 'cause the hardcore crpg corpse has rotted away to nothing and the codexians is left to endlessly crawl over the dust and bones.

the reason the codexians loathe you ain't fair... but that not mean that they is always wrong neither. the july 9th bit? Dave ain't gonna honest say that he thinks that the july 9th revelations were groovy-keen, is he?

true story: back in winter 1980, Gromnir's parents announce that for Christmas he is gonna actually get a cassette player/stereo, so he should let them know what music groups we likes so they can purchase a couple of tapes. so, imagine our surprise when on Christmas morning we receives an early 1960s 8-track player. apparently it were an 8-track player our Aunt had owned when she were in high school. it were an ugly beige box with detachable speakers, and it ate tapes 10% of time.

now, did Gromnir have the right to be disappointed? maybe not. is not as if we had earned the 8-track player. we sure hadn't earned an expectation for something better. our parents did okie dokie as far as money were concerned, but up until that year before we had been living at Pine Ridge, so simply having reliable heat during winter months were something new for us. perhaps we shoulda' been more gracious. nevertheless, we felt kinda cheated that we gots a "stereo" that we couldn't have sold at a garage sale for more than $2.

if the july 9th announcement bit were meant as a practical joke, it would actually be kinda funny... but am not thinking that bio were going for bait & switch chuckle value. instead you open self up for more hits that bio offers more hype and empty promises than actual gameplay. is not fair, but is predictable... and understandable.

HA! Good Fun!

Murk

Arcane
skyway said:
ah yes, just like that thing with hyping that we will show you something on July 9, showing it on July 10 without really showing it and promising to really show you it on July 11.
Even Bioware's hype feels so vapourware

my post was mostly directed at posts like Warden's, though i guess Warden is a bad example as he may as well just be the token "I hate bioware" guy, in fact, that's basically what he is.

I can't say i'm for a care-bear forum but VD was right when he said a lot of people are dragging down the codex by being loud-mouthed asshats about shit like this. :decline of t... oh fuck it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Dgaider said:
While I am at it, have you guys heard of Blizzard? You could certainly learn something from them when it comes to art design, combat, and announcements. I'm going to give you a top secret link to a site showing how!

So... I'm confused. Hype is the worst thing ever and responsible for everything that is bad in the industry... but we should be better at it? I forget, are we Evil Incarnate because we are the masters of hype? Or because we suck at it?

You fellas are so finicky.
Oh you don't get it. You guys are good at hype. Just look at all the discussion going on over a teaser of a teaser page.

The thing is, there is a difference between hype and information. And you guys are annoying your fans by taking away the carrot each time it comes in sight. The grieving might be effective hype, but I think solid information would do better.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
God I fucking hate you Gromnir.

Gromnir hates child molesters and rapists and torture... stuff like that. can't quite seem to generate the same venom for message board clowns.

just spent a couple of months in europe (mostly germany and france.) even so, we don't hate the French... though if we had stayed another month...

HA! Good Fun!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"PR fags make games like Oblivion and Jade Empire. ie: shit.

Gamers make games like Diablo II and World of WarCraft. "

Oblivion sucks.

D2, and WOW were so boring I ahven't been bothered to play them

JE is awesome. So is FO.

L0L D2.L0L

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Gromnir said:
Dave ain't gonna honestly say that he thinks that the july 9th revelations were groovy-keen, is he?
No, I'm not going to say that.

I honestly wasn't trying to imply that should be the case. I can understand why anyone might have been disappointed, for any number of reasons. I don't get the personal affront quite as much, but I guess I'd like to hope that sort of reaction at least stems from caring.

When it comes to reactions here on the Codex, I was only tweaking noses because I'm well aware most of you would find fault with whatever Bioware chose to do, no matter what that was -- getting indignant because THIS time the criticism might be valid doesn't make it any less amusing. Even a dead clock is still right twice a day, after all. ;)

I still hold out hope that at least some of you will give Dragon Age a chance as the info rolls out over the next little while. I honestly think it's worthier of your support than many of you assume. At any rate I AM glad that the info is finally coming.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Dgaider said:
Even a dead clock is still right twice a day, after all. ;)

Unless it's a digital clock like the Codex, the LED isn't even on.

Dgaider said:
I still hold out hope that at least some of you will give Dragon Age a chance as the info rolls out over the next little while. I honestly think it's worthier of your support than many of you assume. At any rate I AM glad that the info is finally coming.

To be honest I want to believe you. I experienced some disapointment over the direction Bioware took after BG2 (though I still enjoyed HotU, KotOR and JE to some extent) but if you say DA is going some way the Codex should like, I can't help but find it positive. So I keep doing what I've been doing so far: wait for info and then see if I'll bash it or not (the Hivemind tells me I have to bash it).

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The game has been in development for a pretty good while and is said to be BG's spiritual successor, and multiplayer and mod making isn't its main focus so it won't have a mediocre oc like NWN hopefully. I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as I did games like Planescape or Fallout, but I do expect it to be at least on par with Baldur's Gate 2 which was also a damn fine game, one of my favorite RPGs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The game has been in development for a pretty good while and is said to be BG's spiritual successor"

This again. L0L

SS to BG, NWN, KOTOR, and every other BIO game pretty much. It also doesn't mean exactly the same.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dgaider said:
I'm well aware most of you would find fault with whatever Bioware chose to do, no matter what that was.

Ermmm how about making a good game you know - that is not a yet another (console) dumb clickfest full of boring minigames and recycled cliched characters with silly romances? A game where the storyline does not include saving that goddamn world from yet another muahaha villain with twisted moustache. And only then looking at reactions.

Bioware games that include saving the world:
BG1, BG2, BG2: ToB, NWN1, NWN1 XP1, NWN1 XP2, KotOR1, JE, ME

Don't you think, mr. Gaider, that Bioware games are a little bit too cheesy and something must be changed?

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
skyway said:
Don't you think, mr. Gaider, that Bioware games are a little bit too cheesy and something must be changed?
Nope.

I like saving the world.

But, gee... it's just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing you don't?

Gromnir

Liturgist
"I don't get the personal affront quite as much, but I guess I'd like to hope that sort of reaction at least stems from caring."

having been away and busy for some time, we missed out on much o' the pre-july 9 anticipation. even so, our firstest reaction 'pon seeing the july pay-off were, "somebody at Bio thought this was a good idea?" the codexians would be indignant no matter what, 'cause bioware sucks (or somesuch equally rational reason,) but am wondering if anybody thought july 9 were neato. ANYbody.

dunno... am simply baffled that there were bio people who seemingly thought the july 9th bit would be positive. wasn't there anybody at bio that said, " We don't really have anything to show the fans on July 9th, so maybe we shouldn't hype it quite so much."

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bioware games that include saving the world:
BG1, BG2, BG2: ToB, NWN1, NWN1 XP1, NWN1 XP2, KotOR1, JE, ME, DA

Dgaider said:
I like saving the world.
Can't there at least be something like you think what you plan to do will save the world, but in the end it truly doesn't do as much as you had hoped. An example being toppling the leader of a philosophy will not cause the philosophy to just stop dead and the world will turn into a magical place. Real world example being that Lenin died, the Soviet Union still remained, hell, Stalin made it worse.

--
Also, Jesus Christ I hate Gromnir. So damn annoying.

Castanova

Prophet
Mr. Gaider, two multi-part questions:

1) On default settings will the game present a challenge? Are there any main storyline battles that are difficult to beat? Are there any non-required side quest battles that are very difficult to beat?

2) Will the interface be easy to use (like BG2)? Will it be necessary to manually control the 3D camera in order to see what's going on or can I play through the entire game without even knowing the controls for camera control? Can I zoom out to a isometric-esque view and play the whole game this way (i.e., the view is not just a bone thrown to BG fans)?

Gromnir

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
skyway said:
Nope.

I like saving the world.

But, gee... it's just a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing you don't?

saving the world is okie dokie, but the problem (not that it really is a problem) with that approach is that it doesn't really lend itself to meaningful character development. tolkien and guy gavriel kay stories often forgo character development, so the fact that their epic plots make such development more troublesome is incidental. why does villains wanna destroy or rule the world? that kinda motivation is a bit alien for most folks, but for a faceless sauron it not matter.

bio games does not follow the tolkien & guy gavriel kay route: bio relies on character development. therefore, your actual plots becomes almost incidental as far as story building is concerned (with exception o' kotor 'cause o' parallels to original star wars trilogy.) yeah, we get that bio has a kinda formula/directive involving wish fulfillment. assume from start that the average gamer wants to be heroic... and heroic on an epic scale. fine. is nothing actually wrong 'bout that, but you is making the meaningful character development a bit more difficult 'cause you is also making your characters necessarily more incomprehensible.

is nothing wrong with Save The World, but unless you does your job well, audiences is gonna subconsciously pigeonhole your characters into the basic & established fantasy stereotypes. you is fighting current. not a bad thing, but an obstacle that should be recognized.

give people what they want, and they will end up hating you for it. you better find new ways to dress up the old story, or the audience will blame you for lack o' originality and creativity. the fans will be bored. it not take all that much to put a new spin on old stories, but you still gotta be clever 'bout it... or they sees as same old, same ol.

bah. you should be aware of this by now. no doubt figured it on your own, but if not you has heard from Gromnir many times.

HA! Good Fun!

Lumpy

Arcane
Hey guys I think Dragon Age might actually be a good RPG. They might have an interesting, morally ambiguous story, and interesting character development this time aro-
Dgaider said:
skyway said:
Nope.

I like saving the world.
Right... Scratch that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom