Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Recommend me some Dreamcast games

Santander02

Arcane
Had an old DC lying around, found it, hooked it up and wadaya know, it still works.

I pretty much ignored the DC, PS2, GC console generation, as that is around the time I got into PCs, so it doesn't matter if it's exclusives, ports or multiplatform games, just tell me what's good, any genre is fine.

Also heard there is some heavy modding comunity around the Dreamcast, wonder what else can I do with this thing...

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
crazy taxi, panzer dragoon, jet set radio, and shenmue 1 & 2

my favorite is probably panzer dragoon

edit: oops. lol. panzer dragoon was for the huge xbox.

well in that case, craaaAAAzy taxi!

Viata

Arcane
YqJU5hH.jpg

Max Stats

Liturgist
Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 if you like JRPG's. SoA is also on GC so you don't need to bother with it on DC if you played it there. Grandia 2 is on ps2 and I think PC, but they did a shitty job porting them, DC version is better.

Most DC games worth playing wound up getting ports or sequels elsewhere that largely negate needing to play the DC ones.

Granted playing "backups" is pretty trivial on most DC models (only the rare, very late ones block it) the hardest thing is burning the discs properly or having to rip a 1gb GD image so it fits on a 700 mb CDR, so if you just want to "test" some games out and you can find a good iso source that's certainly a cheaper option.

Sjukob

Arcane

It's arena fighting game. Lots of characters and variety, non-existing balance and kickass soundtrack. It's a good plain fun, give it a go.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Record of Lodoss War is a masterpiece. I initially thought it was a low rent Diablo clone, but it is a fine game with a massive world to explore (that really rewards exploration) and one of the best equipment forging systems ever.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're all heathens for not mentioning Dynamite Cop.

EDIT: The image has it but it looks awful.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I was never big on fighting games, but I loved the art direction for Soul Calibur. It kind of had that 13th Warrior vibe to it until they started making really outlandish costumes for characters.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I didn't play much on DC, but I can recommend D2 (if you liked the original and Enemy Zero), Maken X, Soul Reaver (IIRC it looked and sounded better than the PS1/PC version).

Also IIRC AITD4 for Dreamcast has borked music (just like PC/PS2 versions) compared to PS1, but I may be wrong.

wyes gull

Savant
Given this is an anime thread for some reason, you've got Tech Romancer, a 1 on 1 mech brawler by Capcom that is heavy on the plot (!?). It's a weird little thing but well worth the time IIRC.

The Decline

Arcane
Given this is an anime thread for some reason, you've got Tech Romancer, a 1 on 1 mech brawler by Capcom that is heavy on the plot (!?). It's a weird little thing but well worth the time IIRC.

It's a god damn shame that Capcom never ported this to any newer systems nor making any sequels.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Record of Lodoss War is a masterpiece. I initially thought it was a low rent Diablo clone, but it is a fine game with a massive world to explore (that really rewards exploration) and one of the best equipment forging systems ever.
"A MIGHTY SPELL"

Game is so awesome I even put up with the godawful aesthetics of the Shining Force games made by the same devs just to get more of the gameplay.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Several of the better DC games are multiplatform but do tend to have their best non-pc version there.

Unfortunately, some of those in turn use windows CE as a OS (spoiler: doesn't work on portable emulators).

Though i honestly prefer the GC version of RE:CV, RE1 amd RE2, and dolphin has better emulation (including some graphic packs), but whatever.

Santander02

Arcane
So far I managed to get a hold of:

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Ikaruga
Dead or Alive 2
Tony Hawk 2
Some weird ass boxing game
A miscellaneous assortment of racing and sports games, test drive 6 among them.

All for the grand sum of virtually FA.

I've oft heard that the Sonic Adventure games are the only good 3d sonic games, any resident disgruntled former sonic fan please confirm.

Also, are any of the homebrew games developed after the DC's death any good?

Zlaja

Arcane
Sonic Adventure 2 was cool, didn't like the first one though.w

I think they are both nothing special with only a few good stages each. But the first is definitely better IMO.

If DC is the only console you have then you should get RE: Code Veronica. A quality entry in the series and Claire looks super cute in this game. Those puppy eyes. :oops:

Also, stay away from Shenmue. It's overrated as fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom