Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Close combat series

warci

Educated
This probably has been answered in some other thread, but here goes:
Never played a CC game, where do i start / which is best?

ushas

Savant
Neat! Was hoping to play those since sser's retrospective.

Has anyone here played Close Combat: Modern Tactics?

I'm considering buying it, but it would be nice to get some info beforehand.
I think it didn't get positive reviews from critics when it was released, but critics have been wrong/retarded about other games too.
Was also looking for some reviews, so just in case this one helps:

That was entertaining :lol:

Basically he says might be worth to consider if one already played all the other ones. No campaigns, 25 scenarios.
Hm, even with the current discount not so cheap for ~11 years old title.

Beowulf

Arcane
Anyway - is anyone up for a MP match?
Gateway to Caen, Last Stand Arnhem (demo version works fine in MP - tested), or Panthers in the Fog.
Either single battle, or a whole operation.

I haven't played CC in ages.
GMT +2

Beowulf

Arcane
They started longer and more discounted sales on steam this year, despite claiming that they will never do that for some easily overthrown reasons, so there's also that.

I don't want to suggest that their change of mind has something to do with poor financial condition, or similar; just pointing out that someone in the management finally realised how to potentially increase sales and reach bigger audience.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Close Combat 3 was also pretty good. The main difference is that CC2 has an extremely well done campaign closely built arount real events, and with a unique point based unit pool that feels extremely rewarding.

You can play one of three separate campaigns individually and even a single one of them alone is massive. Playing the Grand campaign (that links them together) is also possible and will be a second job - I don't think I ever finished it.

CC3 is just a string of random engagements on the east front that get boring quickly. Also CC3 has not AI improvements whatsoever, and that is the real killer. I played it for a few days, knocked out all Soviet tanks and then massacred their infantry. This gets old pretty fast.

My recommendation is to get CC2 and start with the Eindhoven campaign, playing the US. Don't begin with Arnhem as the British because that is by far the hardest. It begins with a mission to take the railway bridge that is imo practically impossible, so expect to get your ass kicked at first. Keep in mind that the British will have not a single tank until XXX Corps reaches Arnhem - while the Germans have half tracks and tanks.

It's very rewarding as the Germans too who are outnumbered but have the better heavy weapons. The thing is just that you can bring Operation Market garden to a standstill already at Eindhoven and then it becomes a repetitive slaughter of the Allies who keep attacking - not very interesting. But it is definitely fun in the first days when you just have a few Schützen and MGs, stall the Allies and get stronger round by round.

Dead Guy

Cipher
The number of kills some of those MG teams have by the end of the CC2 Grand Campaign...

:shredder:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I bought that one when it came out and didn't like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom