Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Have any of the builds of Duke Nukem Forever ever leaked?

Vainamoinen

Novice
Edit: another thing: releasing it for money doesn't mean that for him it is a satisfying course.

That's an important point. Because actually, on the google call, Pitchford has made abundantly clear what would be satisfying to him already: For once, an eye level discourse and a modicum of respect. I.e. the one thing he can't have because of the shit show that game culture is today."Why would I want to do any of this if I get shit [=hate] for it?" (51:30). With the cartoon amount of such excrement flung at the guy just for even mentioning that he wants to release it, in this thread alone, you can't even proclaim the self fulfilling prophecy as quickly as it has become true already.

to be honest he is undeserving of respect. He could have been a respectful liar but he chose on purpose to act unhonorably.

JBro

Arbiter
He's basically calling Frederik a liar by saying that there's not much of a game there.

Shinji

Savant
I made a transcript of the video above. Bob Smith is the guy who called. Erica is someone from Gearbox, I presume.

Randy: What do you want to talk about, Bob Smith?

Bob: Duke Nukem 2001

Randy: Yeah? What about it?

Bob: Are you guys gonna do anything with it? If you guys have the files and stuff.

Randy: Yeah definitely, actually.

So, I actually did a live call with either Google Hangout or Skype with a couple of folks that were from Duke4.net I'm guessing they're from there. Pretty much people that call interested in that are from there. And this guy Frederik who made Bombshell and who's been interested in Duke since forever as long as I know and this other guy Richard, who is a moderator on Duke4.net and I think he kinda runs Duke4.net and it's super Duke like, crazy Duke fan and also has put a lot of himself into Duke3D in the sense of you know, keep helping people get together to keep the editor going and himself even working on the editor and having other folks from the mod community, so we all got on this live chat and you can probably find a record of it on the Internet somewhere, and this came up and what I explained was that long before Gearbox ever was involved, a publishing company called TakeTwo had the rights to publish Duke Nukem Forever, which means they have the rights to all things Duke Nukem Forever including old content.

Now, what I have been doing is in fact, we did a license which allows us to commercially release Duke Nukem Forever now, so we've licensed back from TakeTwo the rights that they have. They still have their rights, but we now also have a sub license basically to distribute. But what we don't yet have is something that allows us to give legacy stuff away for free. And so, I'm working on that and I think the way to do it is to have a new package with things like Forever and all the old Megaton stuff and maybe the 20th Anniversary, basically everything we can get together. It's a new package and then have the old DNF stuff as sort of this free giveaway, this free bonus that you can have access to if you have that. That's right now, that's the easiest legal path to do this.

But, by the way, you should know you will be disappointed with what you see there. I was the same as everybody else when I saw the trailers in 1999 and the trailers in 2001 and I thought that look awesome, I want that. And it built up in my head, the actual people that work on this stuff they did some great work, but there was no game, right? So if you have in your mind that there's a game that you can play, you'll be disapointed.

What you'll have are little vignette snippets, incomplete pieces of stuff. I in fact talked with -- very recently because it's brewed up again, somebody noticed something and referenced some stuff that Frederik had talked about like months ago or even a year ago and this became a new topic maybe it was Reddit or one of the Chans where some of the trollier types hang out which is why I suspected you might be a troll, but it bubbled up again and the expectation that they had created or had created for them not an expectation I created and not accurate is that they're sending a full game there, there's hours of gameplay, that's just not the case -- and I had a conversation last week with, let's see Keith Schuler, who work's at Gearbox, who worked on Duke Nukem Forever since the time I left 3D Realms back in 1997 all the way up until like 2007 which includes working all the way through the 1999 and 2001 trailers, talked with Brian Cozzens who was the art director on Duke Nukem Forever during the era who also is an employee of Gearbox, I've talked with Stephen Cole who's a level designer at Gearbox who was also at 3D Realms during all that time, John Anderson who was a level designer during another time and I've had conversations with Allen, he's in San Diego now.

And they all say now's that bullshit, there's not hours and hours of gameplay, there's nothing that resembles finished, somebody said something that was 90% complete, not even close. Maybe 9% complete might be a more accurate number. But there is some cool stuff there, and if you're interested in seeing into what game development looks like when game development isn't done, you're gonna see some interesting things, you'll see some works in progress, you'll see assets from that year, you'll see snippets of level design from that era.

Erica: I do think that that's truly what I've seen of it, I think it's really interesting and if your expectation is correct, it is really interesting, and it's a cool look into what was really behind all of the... right?

Randy: It is!

Erica: And that's cooler I think, than a lost "game" (does that thing with fingers -- finger quotes)

Randy: I wish there was a lost game, I wish there was. But if there was, it would have been released. There was nothing even in the vicinity of releasable, and in fact, to this day I think that, you know, 3D Realms never released Duke Forever. The people, about half of the development team didn't want to give up, and they assembled the game that was the thing that got released commercially, and I think they're proud that they stuck it through and saw that happen, and I'm glad that I got to see it and play through it, but I think you'll see other people like, I mean, who knows what his opinion is today, but I do remember talking to George about this one point and he said like, "yeah there's a reason why we never released it", and that's because you don't want people to be disapointed.

But it is a study into history, and into the history of game development, really neat. And I talked to Allen actually, who when I last talked to Allen Blum he was motivated to help out in the kind of curating of that, like how do you consume this content, do we need a tour guide and should that tour guide be Allen to help us understand and consume this content?

But absolutely, it's got to get out there and there's a whole lot of complexity behind it.
One, there's some legal complexity, we've got to do things right.
Two, there is some actual software complexity to this. This is ancient stuff that does not really run right on modern systems, so we either gotta just say good luck, or we've got to do something to kind of prepare it and package it in some way that makes it actually accessible to someone. I'm not going to be the one doing that work, but I've enlisted, like, this is an objective within Gearbox to make sure this happens and we've got to fight through these challenges before it can be real. Game developers can dig through the stuff, and people that are not risk averse of digging though unfinished software will find some things, but they won't be able to use everything. Like, the more in-depth you are, the more likely you'll be able to see the full content of what actually exists there. But most people, I'm afraid, won't be able to even see anything in it's current state because it's just not accessible to lay people and it's really developer-only kind of stuff.

Did that answer your question Bob?

Bob: Yes

Randy: How do you feel about that?

Bob: I'm fine with it, I just want to see what it looks like

Randy: What are you expecting? What do you expect to see? What do you think it's there?

Bob: I expect to see something interesting, like some interesting game mechanics.

Randy: Well, you're not gonna see much beyond what was in the trailer, right. Like imagine you see a movie and then you can walk around the set of that movie. Yeah, you can look at some things that the camera's not looking at, but it's still the same movie set, and it's when you look at, when you look around at the things that the camera wasn't pointed on for the trailer, it doesn't look as good. There's a reason why the cameras are pointed in the directions they are pointing in, right. So, if you're prepared for that, you're gonna enjoy digging through it.

One of the things that I think has hurt it, from an expectation point of view, is that through the decisions made by George and Scott Miller when 3D Realms had shut down and when you know, there's a lot of mess, and through some of these decisions, some other people got access to things and as a consequence of that, it's kind of become... there's like a different hype around the 2001 stuff and the 1999 stuff building it up as if it's more than it is, and because it's kind of cool for some of those people to be in the club of those that have seen it, you know, those that got access. And I think those of us that saw those trailers back when they came out and really wanted those great amazing games to come out, I think that's done these minds a disservice, and I'm sorry if you're one of those minds. I've tried my best not to be part of that, and to just you know, I've tried my best to do right, but I get it if you have expectations that have never been fulfilled, and I know that there's some people that put a lot of that on me. I've tried to, for my part.

We've invested a lot and spend a lot and lost a lot, and took a lot of heat just to make sure that Duke isn't dead. Where Duke was before we got involved was, it didn't come out, wasn't ever gonna come out, the people behind it were being sued for many many millions of dollars, they were in millions of dollars of debt, and they had no ability to pay any developer to continue. That was the state that Duke was in, and now not only did we get to have Forever whether you liked it or not, it existed and we got to experience it.
We also now have a chance to get access to all the other stuff and there's hope for a future for Duke which I think is what's more interesting. There's a real path towards a future of new Duke Nukem games and I think that is what we should all be looking forward to and hoping for and wanting to see the best stuff.

Erica: I know that there's a lot that we can't, why we can't reveal the full complexity of it, of all the legal aspects and things like that, but having seen it from the inside and seeing just how complex the situation really is, but we're still trying to bring things to people, I mean, it really is a testament to how much love there is for Duke at Gearbox. And I mean, I was not a Duke Nukem fan when I started and there was something about, why is Randy still trying to bring this to people, that kind of piqued my curiosity and made me really dig into Duke and it's, frankly, I've seen you attempt crazy things for that game.

Randy: Yeah, it's a mess. You know, I told the story back when we first reannounced Duke Nukem Forever that it was like, the way I felt about it, imagine that you're driving down a desert highway in the middle of nowhere and in front of you there's a horrible car accident, like it's just a mess, and there's metal and gears all over the street, and there's bodies and blood and it's just a disaster.
Do you just drive past and keep going because you've got places to go, and you've got a whole carload of people that are on their way to Walley World, or do you pull over and see if you can help out? Well it's not even that simple of a question like, most people just keep driving, they might call somebody, but they're not gonna pull over and get their hands dirty.
But this wasn't just any car, it was like, my old boss, it was my first job, you know. That's who was in the car, and we're not driving any car, but we happen to be in an ambulance, and right behind this is a tractor trailer, a tow truck, and we've got mechanics and doctors and we've got all kinds of people you need to deal with this kind of accident. Also, it's the middle of the desert, there's literally no one else around, if we kept driving, that's it.
But if we stopped and helped, we want to be able to help out and yeah, it's expensive, it's messy, we've been hurt, some people have blamed us for a whole bunch of stuff, we could have just kept driving and no one had been wiser and had nothing to do with this, but I think Duke deserved more than that and deserves more than that, and that's why we pulled over, and that's why we've been helping as best as we can.

Erica: How could you live with not knowing what was salvageable from the wreck?

Randy: Yeah, right? How could you live with yourself just driving on and not knowing like, are they dead, you know. You've got to help, so that's what we did and that's what we're still doing.
Hey, anything else you want to talk about, Bob Smith?

Bob: Nah, I just want to close.

Randy: Why do you feel like you needed to use a fake name with us?

Bob: What? Bob Smith is my real name

Randy: Wow, okay. I'll let it be then. Well, thanks for you call.

(after ending call)

Randy: What do you think, do you think that guy's really Bob Smith?

Erica: I mean, there's gotta be a Bob Smith in the world, maybe he is.

Randy: Sure, he really took a long time when I asked what his name is. But what strucked me wasn't that he used a fake name, it's why he felt like he needed to. I don't know what he's afraid of.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
He's not lying :lol:

nMEfKqQ.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Duke Nukem 3D is the greatest singleplayer FPS of all time. Hail to the King.

Doom maybe has it beat in core combat brilliance (e.g Shrinker in Nukem 3D is a bit gimmicky and is mostly used for insta-killing two of the toughest common enemies in the game), but overall it's one amazing package.

I've still wasted many more hours in Doom, but I put a lot of that down to its heaps of user content...as well as its perhaps superior core combat design.

TonyTiger

Educated
Wanted to give a quick update in this thread as I had come across some information after that Nerdvana Live call with Randy Pitchford claiming little exists outside of the trailer.

Here's a post from an ex-3D Realms level designer Charlie Wiederhold who worked on Duke Nukem Forever:

QRejEDl.jpg

The same level designer had the following to say:

To be honest I feel like Fred is now *over* selling how complete it was though it was certainly far more complete than was commonly understood for a long time....I had worked with George to help push for a concerted effort to get every level represented and walkable start to finish including linking level loads. It was a very successful push and laid the groundwork for what I believe Fred/etc are seeing...anyways, I think it's worth noting there was a whole lot there worth playing and seeing, but wouldn't go so far as to slap 90% on it.

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9930...most-complete/page__view__findpost__p__295936

and Frederik Schreiber had this to say:

RJgj5aD.jpg

There's also this screenshot of the final games editor I came across online that seems to be related to the Duke4.net Google Call with Randy...but again nothing came out of it in the end...

Fc6L8iQ.jpg

Don't get your hopes up and let this die.

The duke is dead: nowadays Duke 3d would never get out and get released.

if released he would be a sjw in disguise:
> taunting the pig cops for being pervert;
> the queen boss for the intrinsic sexism because she only gives birth instead of being a powerful boss destroying the world;
> and so on.

So stop thinking about the good old days and close this shit topic because you are making me depressed.

Last edited:

TonyTiger

Educated
Small update, tl;dr = Gearbox Software now have a sub-license to Duke Nukem Forever granted to them from Take-Two/2K that will allow them to include Duke Nukem Forever/related content in an upcoming planned Duke Nukem Collection. He claims that Charlie Wiederhold (3D Realms level designer, programmer from 1998 - 2006) and Frederik Schreiber are both lying about the state of the game and the content that exists. This also gives us confirmation of Randy Pitchford's inability to read as Charlie has never said the game is complete and rather has made several posts online saying Frederik Schreiber is exaggerating, it's not finished, there's a lot of content and it's a game but it's unfinished/unpolished, and taking "90% complete" as fact is ripe for disappointment.

8zHXuJb.png

lD5Zjv0.png

3tneQbD.png

Charlie Wiederhold has made a few comments about the state of the game in 2002 indicating that Fred is exaggerating the state of the game while Randy is underselling what exists that is of interest. After Randy posted these Tweets this is what Charlie had to say on Duke4.net:

cR6V5aj.png

Here are a couple of comments Charlie made back in March when news began circulating widely online about the claims made by Frederik Schreiber about Duke Nukem Forever:

k6ubwdo.png

w6JdBho.png

TonyTiger

Educated
Three screenshots leaked sourced from a 4chan thread: http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/423041146

The poster has since been discovered to be someone named "OmniscientHD" that has no Duke Nukem Forever assets but happened to come in to possession of screenshots of the game. As an entertaining side note in the 4chan thread he quotes posts by Charlie Wiederhold from Duke4.net who worked on Duke Nukem Forever from 1998 - 2006 while saying that the people on Duke4.net know nothing and are brain dead morons....and most of the information in his 4chan thread is sourced directly from posts on Duke4.net and the Duke4.net Discord server.

BV5AUQn.png

5DzjftV.png

SDPiGoQ.png

TonyTiger

Educated
Someone over at DoomWorld emailed Randy Pitchford about DNF 2001:

MAlNQ5n.png

After reading this I think it's important to mention that all the information shared by Frederik Schreiber relates to the late 2002 builds of Duke Nukem Forever while the way the above email is worded sounds as if he's taken the demand for "DNF 2001" literally and they're looking at 2001 content. It'd be a shame if we got content over a year earlier than the most completed builds of this iteration of the game.

Pd2jg6V.png

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Duke Nukem rant by Toronto Reign - see fanboy credentials Here at my broken ass LP. Thanks Fuckbucket.

First off Duke Nukem 3D is not better than Doom for one simple reason. What is it? The levels suck. Sure, the first Episode is pretty good. It shows off all the fancy scripts that Doom could never pull off, like earthquakes, vent shafts, exploding walls, etc...then you hit the second episode and it is pretty impressive at first, but the scene never changes past that initial first three levels. It's boring aside from the easter eggs where you see dead Federation crewmembers and shit like that. Episode three picks up pretty good but it feels to me like every other level is just not fun to play. Perhaps I played the game too much. Doom had the same formula but the levels were all so unique. Doom II not so much in those regards. You can throw in the 4th episode of Duke 3D and Ultimate Doom for comparison. Once you do that I think they start to even out a bit because Ultimate Doom levels just aren't that memorable to me. If you add in shit like Duke in D.C...it almost seems like an unfair comparison really. Unless you add in more and more aftermarket Doom stuff like Plutonium and TNT and Master Levels and....then it's like comparing a fucking Ferrari to a Lambo and you just curse God for fucking it all up...

What Duke really excelled at was atmosphere and humor. It immersed you in the world of Duke. Doom had the level design and modding scene and the horror. Duke doesn't really have much beyond the personality and atmosphere to this day. The modding scene is there but there is nothing on the scale of Doom megawads. This is for one simple reason, not due to shitty levels although that is my only gripe with Duke, but due to Duke having no personality to go along with the new level mods. Unless you reuse his lines from other games, the shit gets dry after awhile. When you play Duke 3D or Time to Kill for instance - Duke feels alive. When you play one of the level packs he feels like a broken record. Hope that makes sense.

Duke 3D to me falls in that shitty realm of 90's FPS evolution which Forever also played a huge part of. Look at the leap from Quake to Quake 2. How many amazing Quake mods do you see? Quake 2? It wasn't until Half-Life that a mod scene really hit it big the way Doom did. Correct me if I am wrong, because I did miss a few that came out at the time like Soldier of Fortune which I know were decent. Essentially Half-Life took over because guess what? Gordon Freeman is a fucking mute. He is easily transplantable. Why use Duke 3D mod tools to make a new character based game or Total Conversion when other easier tools exist with better models?

At least that is the way I see it. Modding Doom is easy due to sprites. Duke has sprites but look where the mod scene went. A bunch of ugly ass models. They try to reuse Doom sprites and shit and it just does not work...Thankfully Doom modders shitcanned that ugly 3D model concept for the most part.

Which is what it boils down to. Duke 3D might even be more fun to play without mods when compared to Doom, but once you throw in mods, Doom just demon skull rapes the fuck out of Duke. I can't think of one Duke mod I want to play and I love the motherfucker. Someone convince me otherwise I beg you.

Duke Nukem Forever IS DEAD GUYS. People say Duke is dead in general but motherfucker I have about three good ideas for a Duke sequel that would blow people wads all over the damn place. The Witcher can fuck hookers. So can Duke. Tone down the rape a bit and people will chill the fuck out. The trick is to not go overboard with the cheesy lines. You gotta get some good writers up in there. The popping off one liners from 80's movies thing? It is done. Gotta get some new material. I choose George Carlin. Duke that doesn't give a fuck. Duke that says fuck you bitch. I don't give a fuck if you get taken. The world hates me now. Or a Duke that says I am the president of the USA and WE WILL BUILD A WALL TO KEEP THE ALIENS OUT!

Eh? Trump? Duke? You don't see it you numb headed motherfuckers? Not you Codexians. I know you can dig it. You smell what Duke is cooking. You know people don't know what they want until a big dick slaps them in the face.

Open world Duke RPG like Fallout New Vegas. Not a full scale RPG but something with more dialog. I choose MCA to write. It would need to focus on gunplay rather than stats and C&C though because Duke fans might just burn Randy's house down. Think San Andreas RPG lite. I use the word loosely fyi RPG debate fags so don't start. Perhaps something like Time to Kill, where you travel through Hubs...I mean Duke Forever was going that way already.

dnf20131.jpg

g2H2eVP.jpg

This bitch is not a good replacement, sorry. Looks nice though.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am actually interested in the Quake 2 builds too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom