Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recanted: DragonAge is officially shit

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
BioWare president Greg Zeschuk's demonstration of Dragon Age: Origins, the executive revealed that the game would arrive on consoles in addition to the PC. Unfortunately, the developer would only say that the titles would arrive "in the future," and Zelschuk did not elaborate on whether the title would surface on all platforms simultaneously.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6193900.ht ... op;title;9

So much for the "hardcore" PC gamer's spiritual sequel to BG. . .

Edit:

The quote was out of context, and Dave has confirmed a lot of good things about the game. It sounds like it has the most potential a game from Bio has had in a very long time. Here's hoping the game turns out more like BG than NWN/KOTOR/JE/ME. Right now it sounds like it has a shot at being something more.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Why? Because I don't suck PC dick? The real fanboys are the ones who are so pro PC/anti console that they act in rage and crybabiness when a game is 'consolized'.

In other words: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bezimek

Scholar
The real fanboys are the ones who are so pro Bioware/anti Bioware that they act in rage and crybabiness when a game is 'antyBioware" '

FIXED

So you are fanboy (of Bioware) :twisted:

Erzherzog

Magister
Good. My PC would die at the thought of trying to run DA.

Err...

CONSOLES ARE RUINING GAMING! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

bobisimo

Novice
Re: DragonAge is officially shit

SpaceKungFuMan said:
... the game would arrive on consoles in addition to the PC.

So much for the "hardcore" PC gamer's spiritual sequel to BG. . .

I know, I know. People on the Codex enjoy making rash generalizations and assumptions based on very nominal bits of information. Excuse me for making a more full response to your comment. Because really, I think consoles can, and have, highlighted some pretty hardcore games.

In fact...

Can I imagine Planescape: Torment on the Xbox 360? It's not unrealistic to consider. I mean, conversation is the easiest. Movement is easy but might require slight interface changes - though it could work as is. Combat is a little trickier - at least in real time (which you'd have to have for most of today's gamers). But with some AI short-cuts and other creative tweaks in the port they could make real-time Torment combat work. As for abilities and such, there's already a radial menu which translates well to console. Etc. I'm not even sure that you'd have to change up the game in any fashion to attract players. Done. Hardcore game on the console. Release it as a download on Live for $5 or $10 (but with the Xbox points conversion thereof).

The point is that putting a PC game on a console doesn't automatically make it less "hardcore". Becoming less hardcore requires "dumbing down" the game to drastic measures to try to appeal to the *stereotypical* console gamer. But Planescape already has a journal so you don't have to take notes or remember anything. It already has a map so you know exactly where you need to go for quests. The combats aren't terribly difficult. It's not like you need to remember or acknowledge the story if you don't want because everything more or less plays itself so long as you push in the right directions (i.e. follow the journal). I mean, it's already simplified from more hardcore games that required the player to map and remember/use keywords and so forth. True, it's not a FPS shooter with state-of-the-art 3D graphics and there's a helluva lot of text so it won't appeal to the stereotypical consoler but I think a small number of gamers (both new and old to Torment) could get behind it. On the console.

And wouldn't that be as hardcore as it gets?

It's unfair to automatically write-off Dragon Age with baseless assumptions because BioWare appreciates the idea of bringing Dragon Age to the consoles just like they brought KotOR to the consoles. BioWare has said that Dragon Age is being made to play out a lot like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, and probably has already included a lot of the simplifications (journal, less text, easier combat, mini-maps, etc.) that all modern RPGs, PC exclusive or not, utilize - and until they show otherwise comments like those are just silly.

I end my argument with this quote regarding The Witcher:

Game Banshee said:
GB: Given the game's success and the employment opportunities at CD Projekt for console programmers, is there a chance we might see The Witcher ported to the Xbox 360 and/or PlayStation 3? Why or why not?

Tom: The PC has always been our lead platform, and our goal was (and, with the Enhanced Edition, still is) to deliver the best role-playing game for PC gamers. That said, a console version is entirely possible —the game would really lend itself to a unique console-RPG experience. However, when and if we decide to do a console version, it will have to be significantly reworked to be relevant to console gaming. From a business perspective, we don’t see any point in doing a straight port of the game; why release the exact same game a year later on consoles? If we release the game on 360 and/or PS3, it will be improved and enhanced in a way that allows it to compete with other AAA titles on those platforms – we want to surprise and impress people all over again.

I realize he mentions making changes, but that's to keep the franchise fresh and relevant. He doesn't suggest at drastic dumbing-down efforts, i.e. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Why? Because being on a console doesn't necessitate stripping out hardcore play.

And again, apologies for taking this topic so seriously. :)

Shoelip

Arbiter
He's a tough foe, so you need to use different tactics and spells. But if you can kill him, you can finish him off with a cinematic kill move that involves leaping atop his falling body and jamming your two-handed sword into his skull.

Wonder how this will work. it'd be pretty cool if it were just an animation that plays like Dawn of War, but it would be pretty annoying if it were one of those quick button press things.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Reviewer said:
As an old school Baldur's Gate fan
I wonder if he knows what is Baldur's Gate at all.

Conversations happen in Mass Effect style, with cinematic angles and cuts
Mass Effect style

However, the game features what is called a pause-and-play feature for combat, which lets you pause the game at any time and give orders to your squad. You can also pull the camera back to top-down point of view similar to that of Baldur's Gate. Zeschuk told us that you could play the game entirely from that angle, as well.
as well?
So they've already made combat in 3rd person view (for consoles)? Fast guys.

you can basically respond in friendly, neutral, or rude manner
- Charge! For the forces of good!
- I don't care! Attack
- I will attack our enemies for a price.

You can do so and he'll give you the key, or you can just knife him and take it from his body.
:lol: how Bioware

But if you can kill him, you can finish him off with a cinematic kill move that involves leaping atop his falling body and jamming your two-handed sword into his skull.
Those guys are indeed working around the clock to make it console friendly

Meanwhile, Zeschuk said that BioWare was developing the game on the PC, playing the game on the PC, and designing the game for the PC, though the company does plan on delivering Dragon Age to consoles sometime the road
Oh yes sure. Designing for the PC.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You can do so and he'll give you the key, or you can just knife him and take it from his body.

how Bioware"

Proof beyond a shadow of the doubt that you are biased and ignorant. It's nice you conviently left out the last part of the example. Dumbass. Reread the article, and be honest.

Idiot.

Moron.

Fool.

Scumbag.

Shithead.

P.S. BG was BIO's weakest game barring SS and MDK2 when it comes to actual role-playing. LMAO

bobisimo

Novice
Volourn said:

Nice write-up. Choice and consequences? Check. Storyline that doesn't overtly suggest that you are the chosen one? Check. Pause-and-play? Check. Squad-based combat? Check. Tactical combat (stun with shield, then attack)? Check. Using the terrain (igniting grease on floor; extinguishing it with blizzard spell)? Check. Male/female characters with a wide range of customization? Check.

Sounds good. :)

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Actually this is looking pretty damned good.
I haven't been a big fan of the Bioware games since KOTOR (I prefer isometric games) but I really like the look of Dragon Age. Despite the years of silence it seems the new screen shots seem nicely in-line with the first screenshots we got years ago.

The videos were a bit meh, but I don't play games for the cutscenes.

Atrokkus

Erudite
You fucking dumbasses. The fact that it is *PORTED* to consoles (from PC) means nothing.
Do you realize that even Supreme Commander -- a very good *true* PC RTS -- was ported to Xbox 360, successfully enough. If SupCom can be played on a console, anything that is on PC can (well of course in case of RTS and FPS the player performance will be greately limited compared to PC gamers, but still).

And if you're thinking dumbing-down of story/roleplaying content, again, there's no reason to if it's ported *from* PC -- unless it was flawed on PC to begin with, which we can't tell yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom