Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age: Origins announced epically

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
The game is set in a world where an elite society of warriors known as the Grey Wardens battle the Blight, an evil infestation that appears to be the side-effect of the presence of an arch demon.

Egh. I can see where this is heading.

fastpunk

Arbiter
The game is set in a world where an elite society of warriors known as the Grey Wardens battle the Blight, an evil infestation that appears to be the side-effect of the presence of an arch demon.

How old is this demon? Ancient by any chance? Has he been sleeping thousands upon thousands of years?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Im starting to fall for the hype now. I have to resist so it doesn't hurt so much when I am dissapointed.....

I hope there aren't hordes of enemies Diablo style though, it kind of sounds that way from some of the articles.

And please, please, please don't be too linear.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
fastpunk said:
How old is this demon? Ancient by any chance? Has he been sleeping thousands upon thousands of years?
The archdemon is a dragon... one of the Old Gods that were imprisoned long ago beneath the earth. The darkspawn search for them and, when the dragon is freed and awoken it rises as an archdemon. That is when a Blight begins.

Which means, yes, ancient. And sleeping.

So go on. Get it out of your system. I know you want to. *sigh*

Lumpy

Arcane
Kingston said:

Egh. I can see where this is heading.

From the press release said:
Dragon Age: Origins represents BioWare’s return to its roots, delivering a fusion of the best elements of existing fantasy works

So, nothing surprising.

Starwars

Arcane
I like ancient sleeping evils, but I really feel the game should provide a proper apocalyptic atmosphere once they are awakened. Diablo 1 actually did this magnificently I thought, which is basically what kept me through the game.

Chefe

Erudite
Can I ask why a decision was made to go with such a generic fantasy RPG backstory and plot? Easier? More identifiable? EA?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Dgaider said:
fastpunk said:
The archdemon is a dragon... one of the Old Gods that were imprisoned long ago beneath the earth. The darkspawn search for them and, when the dragon is freed and awoken it rises as an archdemon. That is when a Blight begins.

Ha!

I don't really mind cliched stories actually as long as they are interesting and the world is well fleshed out and fun to explore and the gameplay is good.

It has to be getting harder to come up with something original and good these days.

All the oldschool RPG's that I loved in the 80's almost all had the "Kill the big bad wizard" plot but it didn't make the game any less interesting to me.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Dgaider said:

So it uses this Blight to enslave the world with necromancy and one playthrough will unlock the possibility to play this ancient evil yourself? Awesome! *happydance*

Yeah, well. Outtada system. I don't mind ancient evils but can't you do them the Steven Erikson-style?
Ancient evil awakes. Confident in its power to conquer the world because no current entities could ever match it. Only to get its butt handed to it repeatedly by different adversaries? No? Shame.

aries202

Erudite
On the Bioware forums for Dragon Age, I did say something like that I thought the plot was similar or like the plot in Mass Effect....

David responded in saying his usual *I suppose so. but thatøs not how Iøve written it* Or something that means this. Btw, I'm paraphrasing. I did see some liklines with the plot in ME; ancient evil rises again. You must (help) defeat it.

As I said on the dragonage forums on the Bioware board: I like defending the world as kuch a sthe nexy one, but after having dne this (to death) in the past 10-12 games, it gets a liitle old...

I'n cautiously optimistis about this. Especially that we now finally after 10 years again can control all of our characters...

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
aries202 said:
Or something that means this. Btw, I'm paraphrasing.
No kidding. :)

There's more to the plot and the game than who's awakening, really, but that element is certainly there. Can't deny it, mock if you must.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Dgaider said:
fastpunk said:

I'm not much of a drama queen really. I was just curious. Btw, will we see some settlement getting dusted at the beginning of the game? You know, like Taris in KotOR, Two Rivers (or what's its name? ) in JE and Eden Prime in ME.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
fastpunk said:
Btw, will we see some settlement getting dusted at the beginning of the game? You know, like Taris in KotOR, Two Rivers (or what's its name? ) in JE and Eden Prime in ME.

Hmm. Hold on.

*flips through Giant Book of Fantasy Tropes*

Whew! Nope.

Mareus

Magister
I am sorry for being impatient, but this is really bugging me and since mr Dgaider is most active here I ll repost my question: "This does sound like good news finally after years of waiting. Good news for the whole gaming, because it looks like Bioware is returning to it's roots. In this trailer the music actually sounded a bit better than in the first trailers I saw, but still not nearly good as BG. Anyway I am interested in one thing that keeps bugging me. If mr Dgaider would be so kind to explain. What kind of plan is the blondey prince talking about? I mean if the plan is to open the gates and charge at the enemy, it is a pretty stupid plan, I am sure you will agree. They are behind walls... shouldn't they barricade themselves inside the walls and use boiling oil, archers etc. instead of opening the gates and charging?"

aries202

Erudite
Dgaider said:
aries202 said:
Or something that means this. Btw, I'm paraphrasing.
No kidding. :)

There's more to the plot and the game than who's awakening, really, but that element is certainly there. Can't deny it, mock if you must.

I wasn't mocking you nor DA: Origens, David. I couldn't just remember what you said in your response to me, which btw, made sense - at least to me.

If I'm mcoking someone, it certain is not you, David, or Bioware. It is the other game companies that all run into one direction with a 'let's save the world plot'. That's what I meant when I said I'm a bit tired of doing this in every game now --- even in adventure games...

BTW; here's the post David G. wrote in response to my thoughts on the dragon age forums...

http://dragonage.bioware.com/forums/vie ... &forum=135

Of course, there's going to be more to the plot than who is awakening just like there was more to the plot behind the trouble in the Nashkell mines in Baldur's Gate. Just like I know there's more the plot in ME than the Reapers...Hopefully...
:cool:

edit:

As for David G. to reveal what the Plan (to defeat the Blight) is, I don't think he will do that --- now. Or maybe - never. I, for one, wouldn't want him to do this; many spoilers not I like...

I hope the plan isn't just to throw everything at the -ehm- Blight --- It seems to me that humans and their allies were -ehm- losing....

Solohk

Scholar
Dgaider said:

Is there any chance that said ancient evil can only be stopped by an adopted amnesiac farmboy trying to avenge his razed village accompanied by a wise old stoic army vet that knew said farmboy's father, a spunky and lovable rogue, and a sniveling angsty whiner with a TERRIBLE SECRET PAST that repeatedly starts to bring up said past but never wants to talk about it?

:lol:

Whew... Ok... thanks.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And again, I have to say that the whole "blight" thingy smells of Morrowind too much.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Mareus said:
If mr Dgaider would be so kind to explain. What kind of plan is the blondey prince talking about? I mean if the plan is to open the gates and charge at the enemy, it is a pretty stupid plan, I am sure you will agree. They are behind walls... shouldn't they barricade themselves inside the walls and use boiling oil, archers etc. instead of opening the gates and charging?"
If the situation was as you seem to be assuming, then yes... that would be a stupid plan. You are only seeing a snippet of what is going on, however.

I cannot go into any detail, but suffice it to say that "the plan" does not consist solely of charging the enemy and the walls you refer to (there are no gates, incidentally, and they are not "behind" anything in the cutscene) belong to a ruin that does play a part but does not offer the kind of fortification that they could take refuge within against an assault.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Dgaider said:
fastpunk said:
Btw, will we see some settlement getting dusted at the beginning of the game? You know, like Taris in KotOR, Two Rivers (or what's its name? ) in JE and Eden Prime in ME.

Hmm. Hold on.

*flips through Giant Book of Fantasy Tropes*

Whew! Nope.

How bold of you!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Morrowind is actually a good game. No matter what some of you people say. Dialogs are a lot better than in Oblivion,"

No. MW is shit. Even being better than Oblivion, it is still shit.

"again, I have to say that the whole "blight" thingy smells of Morrowind too much."

MW is far from the first to have a 'blight like' thing.

Castanova

Prophet
It is a lame plot, sure, but it's just a "MacGuffin"... As long as the game plays similar to BG2, has well designed environments, etc., I couldn't care less about how cliched the macro storyline is.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Volourn said:
"again, I have to say that the whole "blight" thingy smells of Morrowind too much."

MW is far from the first to have a 'blight like' thing.

Yet Morrowind was the first to actually name it "Blight" and have it as a result of the presence of an "arch-demon".

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Solohk said:
Dgaider said:

Is there any chance that said ancient evil can only be stopped by an adopted amnesiac farmboy trying to avenge his razed village accompanied by a wise old stoic army vet that knew said farmboy's father, a spunky and lovable rogue, and a sniveling angsty whiner with a TERRIBLE SECRET PAST that repeatedly starts to bring up said past but never wants to talk about it?

:lol:

Whew... Ok... thanks.

You left out the homocidal sociopath

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom